shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy a light pink natural sapphire?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking of having a light pink sapphire ring made in rose gold but I have never bought a sapphire let alone a natural one and I have no idea where to start looking. The main issue is I don't want to spend too much. I want the ring to be an option when I am craving some pink sparkles and I don't want to end up paying as much or more than I would for a diamond. Is this even a realistic task or am I best to just look for a nice lab sapphire? Ideally I would love an oval around 7x 5 mm or slightly larger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! =)2

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
What is your price range? You might be able to find spinel or if you are on a budget, tourmaline that satisfy the pink bug.

Also, what shade of pink? Purple undertones? Cotton candy pink, really light baby pink? I'd start with your ideal color and then look at stones. 7x5 is a pretty standard size so you won't have a terribly hard time finding something.

this is just a screenshot of some of the colors available. All these are 7x5ish but vary with heating etc. This is africagems.com but there are loads of recommended vendors in the sticky at the top of the forum.
Screenshot_20210506-220321_Chrome.jpg

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

Do you like this shade of pink?

Yes very pretty!! And that price is very reasonable. I have been looking at moissaniteco because I really didnt know where else to look but have read that their cut quality is pretty bad. I would ideally love to buy it as a complete ring but I'm seeing that most vendors dont really do that.

What is your price range? You might be able to find spinel or if you are on a budget, tourmaline that satisfy the pink bug.

Also, what shade of pink? Purple undertones? Cotton candy pink, really light baby pink? I'd start with your ideal color and then look at stones. 7x5 is a pretty standard size so you won't have a terribly hard time finding something.

this is just a screenshot of some of the colors available. All these are 7x5ish but vary with heating etc. This is africagems.com but there are loads of recommended vendors in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Well, I am just now looking into spinel because I had not heard of it before. I am mostly after sparkle, do you think that one is more sparkly than the other? I really don't really mind what kind of stone I get to be honest as long as its light pink, sparkly, and natural and ideally not too hard to keep clean.

In regards to the colour I am probably leaning towards a light baby pink, maybe with a bit of purple undertones. I love most pinks so not to fussed but definilty something more on the light side. As for budget, I would ideally not want to spend more that say 600 $US (I am in Australia) for the whole ring but I'm seeing that that is pretty ridiculous. Maybe the pre-owned route might be something to consider....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes very pretty!! And that price is very reasonable. I have been looking at moissaniteco because I really didnt know where else to look but have read that their cut quality is pretty bad. I would ideally love to buy it as a complete ring but I'm seeing that most vendors dont really do that.

Well, I am just now looking into spinel because I had not heard of it before. I am mostly after sparkle, do you think that one is more sparkly than the other? I really don't really mind what kind of stone I get to be honest as long as its light pink, sparkly, and natural and ideally not too hard to keep clean.

In regards to the colour I am probably leaning towards a light baby pink, maybe with a bit of purple undertones. I love most pinks so not to fussed but definilty something more on the light side. As for budget, I would ideally not want to spend more that say 600 $US (I am in Australia) for the whole ring but I'm seeing that that is pretty ridiculous. Maybe the pre-owned route might be something to consider....

First off - any gemstone you buy will need cleaning - there are no self-cleaning gemstones I'm afraid! 600US$ is a bit unrealistic unless you're willing to settle for a sterling silver mount. If you're wanting to use gold then forget that. A pink sapphire unless low quality won't be within budget for both the stone and setting I'm afraid.

You'll definitely be able to get a beautiful pink spinel in budget and may secure one for a few hundred dollars which will give you money for the setting. You haven't mentioned what sort of size you want? Settings come in "calibrated" sizes so a gemstone with odd dimensions may need a custom setting (which will add to your cost). However if you buy a calibrated stone or one that has dimensions that are only a little different to a calibrated size, you'll find it easier to find a setting. By calibrated I mean something like 6 x 4mm, 10 x 8mm, 7 x 5mm etc but if it's a round shape then 6mm, 8mm, 10mm etc.

For spinels please have a look at Haydenfred_gems on Instagram. She has incredible spinels and customer service. I think she posted some baby pink ones the other day but she normally has pink ones in stock. They are usually well cut and affordable AND her customer service is excellent. I'm in the UK and she shipped to me and I got it in 4 days! She also accepts returns and refunds quickly.

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
First off - any gemstone you buy will need cleaning - there are no self-cleaning gemstones I'm afraid! 600US$ is a bit unrealistic unless you're willing to settle for a sterling silver mount. If you're wanting to use gold then forget that. A pink sapphire unless low quality won't be within budget for both the stone and setting I'm afraid.

You'll definitely be able to get a beautiful pink spinel in budget and may secure one for a few hundred dollars which will give you money for the setting. You haven't mentioned what sort of size you want? Settings come in "calibrated" sizes so a gemstone with odd dimensions may need a custom setting (which will add to your cost). However if you buy a calibrated stone or one that has dimensions that are only a little different to a calibrated size, you'll find it easier to find a setting. By calibrated I mean something like 6 x 4mm, 10 x 8mm, 7 x 5mm etc but if it's a round shape then 6mm, 8mm, 10mm etc.

For spinels please have a look at Haydenfred_gems on Instagram. She has incredible spinels and customer service. I think she posted some baby pink ones the other day but she normally has pink ones in stock. They are usually well cut and affordable AND her customer service is excellent. I'm in the UK and she shipped to me and I got it in 4 days! She also accepts returns and refunds quickly.

Thankyou for the advice and recommednation! I'm so glad I've found out about spinels, it really opens up the possibilities. I had a look at Haydenfred gems and that baby pink oval is so stunning and exactly the kind of pink that I adore. I have messaged her to find out more. In regards to size I open to 7 x5mm upto 8x 6mm give or take. And the setting I want super simple rose gold 4 prong solitaire :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankyou for the advice and recommednation! I'm so glad I've found out about spinels, it really opens up the possibilities. I had a look at Haydenfred gems and that baby pink oval is so stunning and exactly the kind of pink that I adore. I have messaged her to find out more. In regards to size I open to 7 x5mm upto 8x 6mm give or take. And the setting I want super simple rose gold 4 prong solitaire :)

You're welcome.

Just a heads up - you may not get a calibrated gem from Annie (Haydenfred) but it may be close ie not 7 x 5 but could be 7.2 x 5.4 or something like that. Typically (depending on the setting you choose), this would fit a calibrated setting. If you're looking for rose gold that's really going to limit you but you may be able to get a sterling silver rose gold setting within budget. There are some nice ones on Etsy and a few on Ebay. If you're not wanting diamonds in the setting you'll definitely get something within budget and depending on the stone you choose you MIGHT be able to get rose gold instead of sterling silver.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few rose gold settings that you may be able to get in budget:

Both of these sellers will customise for your stone and also upgrade the diamonds if you want but it can increase the cost.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope is is ok, please let me know if it isn’t ok to post about my sapphire.

I’m not sure how shipping to Australia from the us works, and I know it’s over budget, but I have wiggle room in the price, since it’s my stone. My very light pink sapphire for sale on loupe Troop. I don’t know if I am allowed to share the link, if not, it’s in the pre loved section.

You need to delete this as it goes against the rules. As there's a thread pointing to it elsewhere then hopefully the OP will know about the pre-loved section x

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
You need to delete this as it goes against the rules. As there's a thread pointing to it elsewhere then hopefully the OP will know about the pre-loved section x

I just did. I was frantically looking to make sure it was ok. Thank you for getting back to me.

Reactions: LD

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I just did. I was frantically looking to make sure it was ok. Thank you for getting back to me.
I had a look in the preloved forum, so pretty but sadly way to out of budget for me :(

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few rose gold settings that you may be able to get in budget:

Both of these sellers will customise for your stone and also upgrade the diamonds if you want but it can increase the cost.

Thank you these are lovely =)2

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

Totally agree with Cspan here. It is pretty much impossible to beat the royal or cornflower blue of a great sapphire, but when it comes to baby pink, tourmaline and especially spinel are excellent options. Spinel is considerably cheaper and you can get absolutely spectacular sizes and colors for a lot less.

You would be paying about half per carat

Here is a great option from Finewater for around $800 1.56 CT

1620444512913.png

0.91 CT beautiful spinel from AJS only $120!!
1620444600660.png

A bit of orange/brown in this one 1.45 Ct also from AJS $545
1620444649675.png

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Totally agree with Cspan here. It is pretty much impossible to beat the royal or cornflower blue of a great sapphire, but when it comes to baby pink, tourmaline and especially spinel are excellent options. Spinel is considerably cheaper and you can get absolutely spectacular sizes and colors for a lot less.

You would be paying about half per carat

Here is a great option from Finewater for around $800 1.56 CT

1620444512913.png

0.91 CT beautiful spinel from AJS only $120!!
1620444600660.png

A bit of orange/brown in this one 1.45 Ct also from AJS $545
1620444649675.png

That $120 one from AJS is gorgeous!!! Do you think the quality if the cut is ok? I am going to message them to find out some more details because the price is so good and I really love the colour!! =)2

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That $120 one from AJS is gorgeous!!! Do you think the quality if the cut is ok? I am going to message them to find out some more details because the price is so good and I really love the colour!! =)2

I have bought a few stones from AJS. They haven’t been particularly well cut and the colours have always been ramped up in photos. A gemstone price can sometimes indicate what you’ll get.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I have bought a few stones from AJS. They haven’t been particularly well cut and the colours have always been ramped up in photos. A gemstone price can sometimes indicate what you’ll get.

That sucks :( but I guess it's to be expected for that price. I ended up messaging Annie from Haydenfred and she said she sold the pink oval but will let me know if she gets more! Im looking at a couple of stones on etsy and the seller will be making some videos for me to have a better look. Right now these are my top choices:

Sapphire:

Spinel:

and this lavender spinel is nice as well:

Definitely hard when working with a small budget, but its fun to research it all :)

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
And if I could get something like this as a semi mount it would be perfect

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire:

Spinel:

and this lavender spinel is nice as well:

Definitely hard when working with a small budget, but its fun to research it all :)

1. Windowed. Avoid
2. Windowed and will look more brown than pink judging by the photos
3. Ok but a really strange cut giving the table a halo look. Think I would want to know dimensions and a side view. Would fit in a standard 9x7 mount.

Can I make a suggestion? Take your time to get the perfect stone. Sometimes it takes a few weeks of months to find the right one.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

I have always had mostly good experiences with them. I would say the cutting is in between traditional Thailand cutting, which is entirely for weight, and fine precision cutting. Basically, they want a clean stone and good brilliance, but maintaining weight is still the main goal. Overall, I would say I have had an equal amount of good and bad experiences but poor cutting is definitely the main issue.

Definitely try and negotiate down the price a bit more. It's already quite reasonable, but see if you can get it under 100! Also, ask for a video because pictures can hide a bad cutting job very well, especially since there's only one photo!

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
1. Windowed. Avoid
3. Ok but a really strange cut giving the table a halo look. Think I would want to know dimensions and a side view. Would fit in a standard 9x7 mount.

Can I make a suggestion? Take your time to get the perfect stone. Sometimes it takes a few weeks of months to find the right one.

I definitely agree about price when it comes to AJS. My good experiences have been on pricier things and everything that seemed too good to be true really was. Still, weight-focused cutting was a consistent issue.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking of having a light pink sapphire ring made in rose gold but I have never bought a sapphire let alone a natural one and I have no idea where to start looking. The main issue is I don't want to spend too much. I want the ring to be an option when I am craving some pink sparkles and I don't want to end up paying as much or more than I would for a diamond. Is this even a realistic task or am I best to just look for a nice lab sapphire? Ideally I would love an oval around 7x 5 mm or slightly larger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! =)2

I am going to echo what LD said. Take your time, do your research, and enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

$600 is a tight budget for a pink sapphire or spinel, but it is plenty for a beautiful pink tourmaline.

$589 precision cut pink tourmaline
1620492384393.png

This beauty is precision cut and under your budget and double the size (2.27 CT) of the sapphires are looking at!

Not having personally done business with the seller, I cannot vouch, but I just wanted to show you what else there is out there instead of synthetic.

This one is $980 by CecileRaleyDesigns, who I have purchased from, and can vouch for!

1620493075169.png

Her pictures are quite accurate and she is fair with returns anytime I've had issues. This is a nice light baby pink color

Also, don't limit yourself to just a few websites like Etsy... Check out Instagram, Facebook, and the pricescope vendor list.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
There's a nice sapphire on pre-loved right now (also on loupetroop). Total is $600 but worth at least looking at!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
1. Windowed. Avoid

Thank you for the input =)2 You are absolutely right, I need to take some time and slow down a bit. I think with mothers day I got it in my head that I needed to quickly find something but the reality is I should wait for the right stone to come along instead of tying to convince myself that any pink stone will do. Knowing myself I will later regret it if I just jump into it and settle on something to quickly.

Also, Annie told me that this week she will be hearing from her supplier so fingers crossed she will have some more pink spinels soon!! So far that pink one she just sold is my dream colour and I find myself going back and looking at it over and over.

Honestly I never realised how much goes into finding a nice coloured stone. I think on some level I just assumed that as long as the colour is nice it will be fine, boy was I wrong!!! So glad I have all of you to help me out, this forum rocks ;)2

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am going to echo what LD said. Take your time, do your research, and enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

$600 is a tight budget for a pink sapphire or spinel, but it is plenty for a beautiful pink tourmaline.

$589 precision cut pink tourmaline
1620492384393.png

This beauty is precision cut and under your budget and double the size (2.27 CT) of the sapphires are looking at!

Not having personally done business with the seller, I cannot vouch, but I just wanted to show you what else there is out there instead of synthetic.

This one is $980 by CecileRaleyDesigns, who I have purchased from, and can vouch for!

1620493075169.png

Her pictures are quite accurate and she is fair with returns anytime I've had issues. This is a nice light baby pink color

Also, don't limit yourself to just a few websites like Etsy... Check out Instagram, Facebook, and the pricescope vendor list.

I have not looked into tourmaline, but I definitely will!!! For some reason I thought they were dark coloured stones, not sure why. Thank you so much!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
There's a nice sapphire on pre-loved right now (also on loupetroop). Total is $600 but worth at least looking at!

Thank you it's very nice! I do think though that I really prefer a bit more colour but I will keep it in mind =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results