shape
carat
color
clarity

Where is the fine line of too much...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 3:29:58 PM
Author: iheartbora

You know what... I think I would be disappointed if SO got me something different, that''s why I want to get involved, but I don''t know if that''s the ''right mentality''!! When it comes to gift giving, SO seems to think it''s the thought that counts and he tends to think less of the actual object. Having said that, he often takes into consideration what I like/need before purchasing. I also agree that ring shopping together will be so much fun (just like many of you had indicated). I am very tempted to just do a whole powerpoint presentation to specify all my preference...haha, afterall, we both work with powerpoints day in and day out
3.gif
IMHO, I wouldn''t classify an e-ring as a gift per se. If it is a gift, it''s the only one that you''re expected to adore, wearing it proudly for the rest of your life. It''s a symbol of your relationship as a couple, and what could be more appropriate than picking it out together?

My own experience picking out the ring was very romantic. The surprise factor of the proposal was not ruined at, as I didn''t know anything about the proposal. Ring and proposal need not be put in the same basket, so to speak.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
FI knew I had a pretty strong opinion about diamonds. When he was ready to start looking at mountings and stones we chose one jeweler and visited the store together. We spent a couple of hours there looking at stones to boil down what shape of stone I wanted. Once we narrowed it down to an RB, cushion, or radiant (which I later asked him not to buy if possible) I did my best to keep my mouth shut. I think that before we visited the store I sent him links to MWM and Leon Mege settings that I loved. We did go to Tiffany and Cartier to try on some rings and see what sort of setting really made my heart race. Once he got that information he told me he knew everything he needed to know.

I probably continued to say the odd thing here or there about a stone or ring I thought was pretty but little did I know he had already bought my ring so it all fell on deaf ears.

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Well, I had the talk with SO and I think it turned out pretty well! We were just talking about this and that after work, and I couldn''t hold it in anymore so I just brought up the topic, lol
3.gif
I asked him for his perspective in general and told him mine. He agrees that I should definitely be involved but he thinks it should be a joint decision, and wants to have some say.... especially with the setting! This is really to my surprise that he cares more about the setting than the stone! So now... I''m just hoping that our ring taste will compliment each other so we can pick out something that we both like LOVE.

I''m just so happy to know that he is interested and excited! He even asked me to send him all the links so he can educate himself so we can have a meaningful decision about the big purchase!
36.gif

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:29:56 PM
Author: Pandora II
You could always try asking your SO how he would feel if a decision had to be made once and for all about the car that he would probably be driving for the rest of his life.

Would he be happy for you to pick it out all on your own - or would he want to have some input?

That normally makes a man see an e-ring the way a woman would (if you''re not an upgrade kind of person)....
27.gif

Oh and by the way, I took yours and happydreams''s advise, and used an analogy to express my opinion! It worked like magic!! He basically paused for 10 seconds (awkward silence), and said "um....yea, I get it". So thank you ladies!!
31.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:04:29 AM
Author: iheartbora
Well, I had the talk with SO and I think it turned out pretty well! We were just talking about this and that after work, and I couldn''t hold it in anymore so I just brought up the topic, lol
3.gif
I asked him for his perspective in general and told him mine. He agrees that I should definitely be involved but he thinks it should be a joint decision, and wants to have some say.... especially with the setting! This is really to my surprise that he cares more about the setting than the stone! So now... I''m just hoping that our ring taste will compliment each other so we can pick out something that we both like LOVE.

I''m just so happy to know that he is interested and excited! He even asked me to send him all the links so he can educate himself so we can have a meaningful decision about the big purchase!
36.gif
Oh yay! That''s wonderful news!!!! Now comes the fun part of PICKING OUT YOUR RING!!!! Now aren''t you glad you asked him?!?!?!

WHOO HOO!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results