shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you draw the line between fashion and fine jewelry?

What defines fine jewelry?

• Materials (e.g. natural stones and gold/platinum)

Votes: 45 76.3%
  • Craftsmanship (e.g. not mass produced, limited availability, custom)

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about it in either/or terms sets up a false dichotomy, in my opinion. I think the interaction between both material and craftsmanship is what defines the jewelry.

Excellent artistry and craftsmanship can definitely elevate cheaper materials. Heck, maybe a jewelry piece, made by an excellent artist executing a conceptual design, must be made with cheaper materials, as it is the whole point of the concept.

But I'd be hard-pressed to describe platinum and diamonds wonkily put together by an amateur/broken machine/drunk jeweler/six-year-old/etc. as fine jewelry.

So, like others have said, I think it has to be both. It also varies culturally – 9-karat gold is not a thing in the U.S., but is in other countries. I just learned that 19-karat gold is a big thing in Canada – who knew?! Plus, styles, trends, what is valued as art, etc. varies in different places, so it's hard to say that it's either one or the other.

That's a good point. I've seen interesting things made of fabric, iron, etc. I guess what I find galling is seeing a brand position itself as "high jewelry" with high prices and then use lab stones routinely instead of genuine for example. Or a brand selling costume jewelry at fine jewelry prices. When there's a large marketing/branding/trendy component my spidey senses tingle. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
That's a good point. I've seen interesting things made of fabric, iron, etc. I guess what I find galling is seeing a brand position itself as "high jewelry" with high prices and then use lab stones routinely instead of genuine for example. Or a brand selling costume jewelry at fine jewelry prices. When there's a large marketing/branding/trendy component my spidey senses tingle. :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I agree with that. It really bothers me when I see an expensive piece commanding a high price, but the seller provides zero info on the provenance of the stones or the materials. It bothers me even more when it is a brand-name item. it's like they just assume that the name is all you need – who cares what it's made out of or how much thought was put into the design!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

Haha... I was having a discussion with PSers on Kataoka using $30 worth of stones for $4000 pendants.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
To me, fine jewelry is classic timeless designs set in precious metals with gemstones. I include silver in this category because there are so many beautiful handmade artisan pieces done in this medium. No one can say a beautiful turquoise squash blossom necklace isn't fine jewelry. If I had any Chanel stuff it would be in this group too.
I define costume jewelry as the trendy stuff You buy inexpensively for a quick pick me up or a shot of summer color for that beach vacation.
They all have a place in my wardrobe. Different moods for different occasions.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, fine jewelry is classic timeless designs set in precious metals with gemstones. I include silver in this category because there are so many beautiful handmade artisan pieces done in this medium. No one can say a beautiful turquoise squash blossom necklace isn't fine jewelry. If I had any Chanel stuff it would be in this group too.
I define costume jewelry as the trendy stuff You buy inexpensively for a quick pick me up or a shot of summer color for that beach vacation.
They all have a place in my wardrobe. Different moods for different occasions.

I totally agree they all have their place. I think I value some of my "nice" pieces more than others....and there are some costume pieces I am overly attached to for what they are , like the plastic ring I got from the Chihuly museum (someone else's photo, same ring). I bought one for each of my sisters too in different colirs but I think I'm the only one that ever wears mine :lol:

20190320_093904.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I look at cost as one determining factor of fine vs fashion.

Another determining factor for me is longevity. Fine jewelry generally is made to last whereas fashion jewelry not always.

Trade definition varies perhaps from some of our definitions. Sterling silver is considered fine jewelry by the trade. But for me I consider nothing less than 14k gold in that category.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results