shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I buy inexpensive blue zircon stud earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
As many of you know from my other threads, my husband bought me a blue zircon pendant for Christmas in response to my request to "find a stone the color of the Caribbean." My husband will probably work to get earrings that really nicely match my pendant for a future present. But in the meantime, I'd like to find some inexpensive round studd earrings to go with it so that I have a matching set. Silly, I know. Any suggestions on where to look, greatly appreciated.

Here is the pendant so you know what color I am trying to match. It's very much a "turquoise" color. It is actually much brighter in person...this picture was taken in low light with no flash.

TrillionDSCN08421Small1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wanted them to match the color of the pendant, it will not be very straightforward... because the apparent color depends on size. (i.e. a small stone of the same intrinsic color saturation as the material in your pendant will look allot lighter).

Small size zircons will not be expensive, but finding some with such good color may take a bit of searching. I hope you will find ''the hunt'' enjoyable, not frustrating.
5.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ana,

Thanks for the info. So, if I am looking for around 1 carat each rounds I will need to look for darker turquoise stones in order for them to actually look similar to my pendant?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Blue Zircon AJS seems to have several that are rounds around the size you are shooting for. Good Luck!

Matched Pair 110$ These seem pretty and cheap too, dont know if they will work for you.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Matatora

Thanks for the link. Those rounds look like a possibility. It says they are "step cut". Does anyone know what "step cut" in a round means? I''m looking for round brillant cut blue zircons...cut like round ideal diamonds....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2006 4:29:43 PM
Author: IslandDreams
Matatora

Thanks for the link. Those rounds look like a possibility. It says they are 'step cut'. Does anyone know what 'step cut' in a round means? I'm looking for round brilliant cut blue zircons...cut like round ideal diamonds....

(answering previous post) Deeper color... yes.

About the 'cut like ideal diamonds' part: with the high RI these could have hearts and arrows, but I wonder if the inherent proportions show color well. And this may mean having them custom cut. If you wanted to try, it could turn interesting.

If you wanted ~6.5mm that may not be straight one carat. Probably about 1.5-2. Not that it makes a huge price difference for blue zircons.

'Step cut' on a round stone usually refers to the pavilion cut with row after row of trapezoid facets (imagine they are played between meridian and parallel lines, like the sectors on a world map).

j0398a3.jpg

The crown is usually brilliant cut. This is the cut of most 'native cut' gems. There is nothing bad about it and brilliance still depends on the respective angles. The layers of facets on the pavilion allow the shape of the finished stone to follow the volume of the piece of rough more liberally and... it so happens that even if the facets come in imprecise shapes and failt to meet, this doesn't compromising the face up look.

This is about all I know...

I surely am curious about what H&A would look like on blue zircons and even more so, what would that do to color!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ana,

Thanks for the descriptions of the step cut for the zircons. I had no idea what that meant. I too would love to see a h&a cut blue zircon. I wonder if my heart & arrow viewer from Whiteflash would pick up any pattern in blue zircon?

I went to my local jeweler yesterday and they have a 1.9 carat blue zircon that is brilliant cut. It is really sparkly and beautiful. It''s a little lighter than my pendant but from what you said, that would be expected with a smaller carat. Anyway, the stone is $475 which seems really high compared to what I''m seeing on the internet...and I''d need 2 to make earrings. I''d like to put put them in the 3 prong martini setting in WG and those are around $200. I really wasn''t up for $1000 earrings. There''s got to be a cheaper way.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you talked to Richard M and Michael E?

something like this would be right up there alley.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2006 8:51:30 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Ana,

Thanks for the descriptions of the step cut for the zircons. I had no idea what that meant. I too would love to see a h&a cut blue zircon. I wonder if my heart & arrow viewer from Whiteflash would pick up any pattern in blue zircon?

I went to my local jeweler yesterday and they have a 1.9 carat blue zircon that is brilliant cut. It is really sparkly and beautiful. It''s a little lighter than my pendant but from what you said, that would be expected with a smaller carat. Anyway, the stone is $475 which seems really high compared to what I''m seeing on the internet...and I''d need 2 to make earrings. I''d like to put put them in the 3 prong martini setting in WG and those are around $200. I really wasn''t up for $1000 earrings. There''s got to be a cheaper way.

No, I wasn''t thinking of 1k either. If lighter color is OK with you, than the shortest way may be to have a pair cut on order. H&A is quite radical though... I don''t think cutters of colored stones do that every day, if ever although fancy cuts meant to yield a pattern of internal reflections are known (''seen those snowflake white topaz pieces from Wink?). You can always ask...

I would think those arrows would be called ''extinction'' in a colored stone and no one considers that ''good'' (well, unless you, the client, say so).

Of course I am curious to hear a professional opinion about this - not to mention see such a rare beast as H&A zircon!

38.gif
Since I couldn''t help trying these out, it sounds like some fairly correct H&A pattern occurs in Zircon RBC at about 38 degrees crown and 41 pavilion with a small table - that''s not even too deep (there''s some range, just picked up the lowest crown angle). I''d bet the cut will wash out color, but I don''t really know what I am talking about.

They may have never heard of H&A zircon, but AJS does precision re-cut if you wanted and there''s allot of blue zircon in stock - including pairs. I wonder if they would do it for you? It can''t hurt to ask.

Just an idea
1.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is no problem cutting a zircon to a standard round brilliant design, zircon will work very well in a brilliant cut. In fact 2 years ago I cut my son a pair of blue zircons around 5 or 6 mm for post earings as a Christmas gift to his girl friend.
Blue Zircon seems to be getting tougher to find in decent color. I was able a few years ago to buy a good size parcel, with many of the stone top neon blue color. My preference in these is the darker blue with out any green tones. Zircons are funnly stones in the rough, almost always the best color is orinetating the stone in such a way the you end up with the worst yeild. Most native cut stones are cut mainly for yeild, and therefore have poorer color.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Gene,

Try Michael at Gemlineinc for Blue Zircon rough. I got some nice color blue rough from him about 8 months ago. About 20ct blocky peices. If he doesn''t have any I''m sure he can get it. He was telling me that he was talking to the mine owner the other day and he said no one was asking for it.

Regards,
Maurice

You are right about the best color ending up for a smaller yield

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of blue earrings...

collage_Gold.topaz.earrings.jpg

And these aren''t blue zircon, and a bit large... but gee, they''d sure allow enough light to do justice to the brilliance of zircon... if anything does
9.gif

Random thought...
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results