shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I buy color master stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LooseOnTheLead

Rough_Rock
I read somewhere recently that when looking at colored stones, it's best not to rely on one's memory to evaluate whether the stone being examined is of a good color or not. The author suggested that a shopper have a set of color master stones for reference purposes. So...where would I find such a set?

Thanks!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
That''s exactly right! Color memory is very unreliable! GIA used to make an elaborate and very expensive "GemSet" (a series of plastic, "faceted" paddles with hue, sautration and tone designations...a truncated set was given to students in the colored stone classes. Seems you can''t even buy the large GemSets on eBay any more - they used to go for about $600 from GIA as I recall.

Alternatively, most folks try to accumulate individual stones which fairly represent the color (hue)/tone/saturation of superior quality/desire.

LooseOnTheLead

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/30/2007 3:51:49 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
That's exactly right! Color memory is very unreliable! GIA used to make an elaborate and very expensive 'GemSet' (a series of plastic, 'faceted' paddles with hue, sautration and tone designations...a truncated set was given to students in the colored stone classes. Seems you can't even buy the large GemSets on eBay any more - they used to go for about $600 from GIA as I recall.

Alternatively, most folks try to accumulate individual stones which fairly represent the color (hue)/tone/saturation of superior quality/desire.
Hmm. Isn't that a catch-22? How can a beginning amateur accumulate stones with the right colors without having a set of reference stones to begin with? Maybe there just isn't a way.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
This would be a pretty tough task. Try talking to various vendors, Explain what you are trying to do. I think if you are flexiable on cutting and clarity you are sure to save money.

Good luck. For some the hunt is half the fun.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results