shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are you honeymooning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RLG

Shiny_Rock
We are going to Dublin for 4 days.

Sunnyd: I know it is nothing like the beach, but if you are in Seattle maybe one of the Alaska cruises? I have heard nothing but great things from friends and family who have gone on those.

CaliCushion

Shiny_Rock
We wanted to go somewhere with beaches, culture, historical sites, shopping and amazing food and wine. Since we''re getting married in early May, we ruled out Australia/New Zealand (too cold) and Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam (too hot). We decided to go to Greece and Turkey. It may be a little cooler than my ideal temperature, but we''re happy with the decision. We''re going for about 3 weeks.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, FI wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise, but I vetoed that right away because I want a tropical paradise!

I had my heart set on a Caribbean honeymoon for a while, but we weren''t able to pin down a location until just recently. At first I wanted a cruise, then I got excited about Jamaica (Negril in particular), and then I wanted to explore the Mayan ruins in Cancun and Cozumel...but basically, something warm and outside the US, but not too far away, since we only have 4-5 days.

Meanwhile, FI insisted that we stay in the US because he''s a party pooper! He would have done a cruise, but as luck would have it, not a single Caribbean cruise leaves on a Tuesday, which is when we have to leave due to work/school schedules.

We finally decided on Key West and are both really excited about it! We actually just booked the hotel online about a minute ago. It''s not a "typical" honeymoon spot, so we won''t feel like we''re surrounded by other couples, and the travel expenses are pretty cheap in comparison. It''s in the US (for him), but it''s the farthest Key from the mainland (for me).

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
We''re doing something completely off beat and going to Reading Festival here in the UK. Camping and everything! :razz:

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:52:48 PM
Author: Mediterranean
My only unbreakable rule was NO BEACH/ISLAND vacations!! I grew up in (still live in) a super-popular ''tropical beach vacation destination'' and I need a change of scenery after 30 years of this, man!

We chose Europe. From May 30 -- June 20, we''re going to Greece, Italy, France, and Spain. We''ve got a lot of frequent flyer miles racked up, too. Plus, FI has a friend who is able to lend us his apartment in Paris, and my family has a home in Athens, Greece (for like, 3 generations now--my grandfather built it in the 1930''s).
Ooh we''re going to overlap! See you there?
2.gif

We''ll be in Paris, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini then back in Paris again May 27-June 15th! 7 days will be in Santorini alone.

I can''t wait!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:31:41 PM
Author: Guilty Pleasure
Greece: 4 days in Santorini and 4 days in Athens. FI asked me about my dream honeymoon in April 2007 and when it came time to plan the HM for real, he chose to take us there:) The best part is that he booked the flights and did the research on hotels all on his own without me having to stress about deadlines or decisions or budget choices. love him
30.gif
I get to just enjoy the trip. I guess that''s only fair though since he gets to just enjoy the wedding!
Where are you guys planning on staying in Santorini??

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
are you guys doing some kind of tour company? or you will be going to all these places on your own?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:10:51 AM
Author: RLG
We are going to Dublin for 4 days.

Sunnyd: I know it is nothing like the beach, but if you are in Seattle maybe one of the Alaska cruises? I have heard nothing but great things from friends and family who have gone on those.
Hey RLG, yeah I''ve heard nothing but good things about those, but we definitely want somewhere warm (since we''re robbed of warmth the rest of the year). And the cruises don''t run until mid summer and we would like to go sooner. Thanks though!
5.gif

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 2:24:21 AM
Author: violet02

My only unbreakable rule was NO BEACH/ISLAND vacations!! I grew up in (still live in) a super-popular ''tropical beach vacation destination'' and I need a change of scenery after 30 years of this, man!

We chose Europe. From May 30 -- June 20, we''re going to Greece, Italy, France, and Spain. We''ve got a lot of frequent flyer miles racked up, too. Plus, FI has a friend who is able to lend us his apartment in Paris, and my family has a home in Athens, Greece (for like, 3 generations now--my grandfather built it in the 1930''s).

2.gif

We''ll be in Paris, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini then back in Paris again May 27-June 15th! 7 days will be in Santorini alone.

I can''t wait!

2.gif
We overlap when you''re in Athens (I''m a 20 minute drive away, in Pireaus) and when you''re back in Paris for the 2nd. time, I''ll be in Paris for the only time!!! Ouzo and Souvlaki in Greece, or Croissants and Cafe au Lait in Paris?
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 10:52:33 AM
Author: sap483

That sounds heavenly. I love Napa and Sonoma. I went for a long weekend this past year and can''t wait to plan another trip there. You must splurge and have dinner at French Laundry. It is divine. Reservations are generally made 2 months out though, so plan ahead!
I so want to go to French Laundry when I''m there! The only thing holding me back is the $240 per person prix fixe menu
6.gif
I''m all for splurging, but after wine and tip and everything it''ll be a $600 meal! We have a few months to decide, so we''ll see. We go back and forth on it all the time.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 2:45:29 AM
Author: Lynny0780
are you guys doing some kind of tour company? or you will be going to all these places on your own?
We planned everything ourselves, no tour company. Right now, we're very anti-resort, anti-tour company, etc and like the adventure of doing things on our own (we hate large groups of people we don't know, though traveling with friends is awesome!) and being independent. However, I've also been to California before, so I felt I knew enough to plan it. Perhaps if I was going to somewhere totally new I would've been more open to a tour company or at least a travel agent.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 6:06:55 PM

Date: 3/5/2009 2:24:21 AM

2.gif

I can''t wait!

2.gif
We overlap when you''re in Athens (I''m a 20 minute drive away, in Pireaus) and when you''re back in Paris for the 2nd. time, I''ll be in Paris for the only time!!! Ouzo and Souvlaki in Greece, or Croissants and Cafe au Lait in Paris?
9.gif
We should totally do it! How fun would that be??
1.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 6:12:10 PM
Author: elrohwen

That sounds heavenly. I love Napa and Sonoma. I went for a long weekend this past year and can''t wait to plan another trip there. You must splurge and have dinner at French Laundry. It is divine. Reservations are generally made 2 months out though, so plan ahead!
I so want to go to French Laundry when I''m there! The only thing holding me back is the $240 per person prix fixe menu
6.gif
I''m all for splurging, but after wine and tip and everything it''ll be a $600 meal! We have a few months to decide, so we''ll see. We go back and forth on it all the time.
Good luck gettng a reservation! I''ve tried a couple of times but I guess the key is to call relentlessly from the moment their 2 month out time starts. I think they only allow you to book 2 months before. It takes that long to get a table too. So two months from when you want to go get on that phone and call call call!

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Going to Secrets in Playa Del Carmen...can''t wait!
36.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 7:51:04 PM

Date: 3/5/2009 6:12:10 PM
Author: elrohwen

6.gif
Good luck gettng a reservation! I''ve tried a couple of times but I guess the key is to call relentlessly from the moment their 2 month out time starts. I think they only allow you to book 2 months before. It takes that long to get a table too. So two months from when you want to go get on that phone and call call call!
So it sounds like I should try to get a reservation (the two month mark would be early August) and if we get in, it''s fate and we have to go
1.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Does having a DW in the Dominican Republic count?

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 2:02:11 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Well, FI wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise, but I vetoed that right away because I want a tropical paradise!

I had my heart set on a Caribbean honeymoon for a while, but we weren't able to pin down a location until just recently. At first I wanted a cruise, then I got excited about Jamaica (Negril in particular), and then I wanted to explore the Mayan ruins in Cancun and Cozumel...but basically, something warm and outside the US, but not too far away, since we only have 4-5 days.

Meanwhile, FI insisted that we stay in the US because he's a party pooper! He would have done a cruise, but as luck would have it, not a single Caribbean cruise leaves on a Tuesday, which is when we have to leave due to work/school schedules.

We finally decided on Key West and are both really excited about it! We actually just booked the hotel online about a minute ago. It's not a 'typical' honeymoon spot, so we won't feel like we're surrounded by other couples, and the travel expenses are pretty cheap in comparison. It's in the US (for him), but it's the farthest Key from the mainland (for me).

Oh my goodness, you are going to LOVE Key West!!!! FI an I vacationed there this past August, and it was phenomenal.

The number one OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO DO IT recommendation I have is to take a full day sailing/kayaking/snorkeling trip with Danger Charters. It's a little pricier than the Fury trips, but SO INCREDIBLY WORTH IT. They feed you, post-snorkeling it's all you can drink wine and beer, and it's just the best time.

Also, make sure to eat at the little crepes and panini place on Duval Street.

Also, make sure you have breakfast at Pepe's. This was our favorite morning meal, recommended by our friend who lives in Key West. Ummm... if you want any more tips, feel free to ask :)

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about those cruise tickets! I''m sure you''ll end up doing something nice any way!

My FI and I are going to Greece for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. We''re not sure which islands we''re going to visit yet, but we''re booking it at the end of the month. WOOHOO!

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
We have no idea! We want to go somewhere warm and beautiful (and not too expensive). Maybe Mexico? The travel alerts worried me a bit, and then I realized you have to be careful no matter where you go, and we always are, so...I guess it''s ok.

We definitely want all inclusive, adults only resort with a spa. Any suggestions would be awesome!!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 10:18:21 AM
Author: leeNY
We have no idea! We want to go somewhere warm and beautiful (and not too expensive). Maybe Mexico? The travel alerts worried me a bit, and then I realized you have to be careful no matter where you go, and we always are, so...I guess it''s ok.

We definitely want all inclusive, adults only resort with a spa. Any suggestions would be awesome!!
Well I have heard amazing things about THE ROYAL both in Cancun and in Playa Del Carmen
FI and I are going to the ROYAL Cancun and Blair138 is going to the ROYAL in Playa

You should check them out, they are high end luxury resorts in Mexico, with spas for decent prices considering what you get - and how luxurious they are.
www.realresorts.com/The_Royal_Playa_Carmen/
www.realresorts.com/The_Royal_Cancun

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
I''m so jealous of all of you going to Greece. You will have to post pictures when you get back. That is my dream place to vacation!

We looked into going there for our honeymoon, but we got married in late May 2004. Athens was in the midst of crazy last minute preparations for the Olympics that would be starting there that summer, and it didn''t seem like the easiest time to travel there. Plus, we only had a week because of DH''s vacation time (had recently started a new job), so it was easier to go to London and stay closer to home. Someday, I will get there!

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
We are eloping to NYC in early April, and the two days after the ''ceremony'' will be our only honeymoon for now.

When we can afford it, we want to go somewhere WARM!! Laying by the water sounds simply fabulous! My Aunt and Uncle have a timeshare in Aruba and we''re crossing our fingers that they may offer it to us for a few days one summer.
31.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:05:10 AM
Author: sunnyd
I know right?!?!?! I looked up the site and was like, ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!
38.gif
Oh well, just another shady thing from a shady company. LOL we''re planning to go up there to try on BM dresses JUST so my FMIL can yell at them! Hahaha I can''t wait, I love her!
9.gif

I guess tropical? It almos sucks being on the west coast because the caribb is so far away. Boo.
Umm ... yah. I want an update after FMIL is finished with them.
9.gif
When you''re done, you need to write a review warning other brides too.
11.gif

Tropical, huh ... The Caribbean isn''t too far. If you can get a direct flight to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and then catch a connecting flight to anywhere in the Caribbean, it goes a lot easier & quicker.

Have you ever been to Mexico? The Mayan Riviera is beautiful.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 11:15:55 AM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 3/5/2009 12:05:10 AM
Author: sunnyd
I know right?!?!?! I looked up the site and was like, ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!
38.gif
Oh well, just another shady thing from a shady company. LOL we''re planning to go up there to try on BM dresses JUST so my FMIL can yell at them! Hahaha I can''t wait, I love her!
9.gif

I guess tropical? It almos sucks being on the west coast because the caribb is so far away. Boo.
Umm ... yah. I want an update after FMIL is finished with them.
9.gif
When you''re done, you need to write a review warning other brides too.
11.gif

Tropical, huh ... The Caribbean isn''t too far. If you can get a direct flight to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and then catch a connecting flight to anywhere in the Caribbean, it goes a lot easier & quicker.

Have you ever been to Mexico? The Mayan Riviera is beautiful.
Hahaha I''ll definitely let you know how it goes. March 21st is our BM dress date, so mark it!
9.gif

Never been to Mexico, these resorts everyone else is staying sound intriguing though!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
we''re going to the Maldives and staying in a water bungalow on stilts. we can take a ladder directly into the sea and also lie in the bathtub and look out over the Indian ocean while we soak in the bubbles.

lagoonsuites.jpg

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
OOhhh can i play too? even though im not even engaged yet?!!

SO and I will more than likely get married in thailand, and we''re not sure what to do for the rest of our honeymoon. Depending on time of year we might do a stint at a ski resort. Or if we havent gotten to seeing south america by then then that will be a likely candidate.

Our problem is we both like to travel so much that we never seem to save up the cash for a ring - and when we do we just spend it on a trip
9.gif

Calicushion - greece and turkey will be a lovely honeymoon destination! I was in each country this year for about a month each. Can i recommend Goreme in turkey to you? By far the best place we visited in that country. Oh and of course gallipoli, but unless your an aussie or kiwi it probably wont be your thing?!
21.gif

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 10:57:56 AM
Author: iloveprincesscuts
Date: 3/6/2009 10:18:21 AM

Author: leeNY

Well I have heard amazing things about THE ROYAL both in Cancun and in Playa Del Carmen

FI and I are going to the ROYAL Cancun and Blair138 is going to the ROYAL in Playa

You should check them out, they are high end luxury resorts in Mexico, with spas for decent prices considering what you get - and how luxurious they are.

www.realresorts.com/The_Royal_Playa_Carmen/

www.realresorts.com/The_Royal_Cancun

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for the recommendation, I will totally look into them! The honeymoon packages sound amazing!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 9:33:39 PM
Author: pocahontas
Does having a DW in the Dominican Republic count?
Um, yeah! hee-hee! I only say this because I am having a DW in the Dominican Republic.

But we are not taking our honeymoon immediately (we can also only be gone for a week from work when we get married).

We are taking our honeymoon over the New Year''s break. That way we can take one week in Dec 09 and one week in Jan 10 and still be good to go. We are throwing around several ideas. So far we are leaning towards:

a) Two week trip to French Polynesia: Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora

b) Two week trip around the Indian Ocean: Phuket, Thailand; the Maldives; Mauritius and maybe the Seychelles

c) Two week trip to Turks and Caicos where we do NOTHING!

As you can see, we are definitely beach lovers and our wedding and honeymoon choices definitely reflect that! All of you guys sound like you will have amazing honeymoons!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 2:25:31 AM

Date: 3/4/2009 11:31:41 PM
Author: Guilty Pleasure
Greece: 4 days in Santorini and 4 days in Athens. FI asked me about my dream honeymoon in April 2007 and when it came time to plan the HM for real, he chose to take us there:) The best part is that he booked the flights and did the research on hotels all on his own without me having to stress about deadlines or decisions or budget choices. love him
30.gif
I get to just enjoy the trip. I guess that''s only fair though since he gets to just enjoy the wedding!
Where are you guys planning on staying in Santorini??
We are staying in the village of Oiua at a little mom and pop villa with "cave houses". On one hand, I''m kind of nervous that it''s not a modern resort, but on the other hand, I adore the idea of staying in a more traditional house owned by locals and I think it will be so romantic. We''ll see!

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Not going on a honeymoon. Can''t afford it. We''re paying for the entire wedding ourselves and also trying to buy a house.

Re: cruise vacations, I just heard that many cruise companies are hurting for business and are offering incredible 2-for-1 deals. I think I also heard a story about round trip airfare to Europe for $200.

Call a travel agent pronto!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results