shape
carat
color
clarity

When you see butt-ugly diamond rings . . .

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel|1319814494|3049348 said:
I hope I'm not the only one who went back to her/his SMTB thread to look for subtext in the comments...

LOL, Novel! :bigsmile:

I always wonder if, when posters on PS say "It's very pretty", they really don't like the ring that much. Usually posters will use more effusive words like gorgeous/stunning/amazing. Pretty seems lukewarm to me. I'm honestly not bothered if people don't like my ring though...everyone has different taste!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think my standard reply is "wow! that's a helluva gift" or something vague. Because it was, even if 'ts not my taste. at all.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always seem to hear my grandmother in my head, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all", so I always try to find something complimentary to say - as most posters above have noted.

I agree that imposing my opinion on someone is just that - MY opinion - but it is their perception of their lovely ( :o ) item that counts the most. There is too much 'ugly' in the world that to say something unkind, doesn't serve a purpose and may only hurt your ongoing friendship with that person.

I like the line "wow, you seem so thrilled with that <insert item here>! That was so sweet of your <insert PERSON here> to give that to you!".

Kenny, you were a very kind individual to be gentle in your comments :appl: (but it sure would have been interesting to have a photo to add to this thread!)

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1319787352|3049221 said:
I use the same rule off line as I do on line. If they haven't bought (if they are in RT) or asking because they have a return policy they are willing to use AND are genuinely concerned I will give my honest-- but diplomatic-- answer. I won't say: Holy crap that's the ugliest ring I've ever seen! I'll ask them what they think and if I hear doubt-- like if they say, "I'm not sure about the design"... I might say, "well it's very unique, perhaps the store has something you might prefer and the two of you can go together and pick a different piece out?"

But if they've bought it and love it and just want me to gush (SMTB) I can always say something WITHOUT lying that SOUNDS like I'm gushing.

My favorite ways of NOT lying are:

"What a thoughtful husband to surprise you!" Can't praise the bling, praise the gesture.

"WOW that is so unique!" I'm not lying. I really hope there's only ONE of those out there.

"I just love getting jewelry as a gift, don't you?" I do, when it's nice stuff. But there's no reason to get bogged down in specifics, is there?

"I love the setting" I think the rock is still trying to evolve from carbon into diamond but the setting is beautiful!

"Look at that finger coverage!" Yes, it looks like Krypton's crystals are trying to take over your knuckles, but hey -- it's big!

I don't lie. But there are a lot of things I can say that have different interpretations. And they can't read my mind. :devil:

:lol: LMAO!!!!!! :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1319821477|3049445 said:
I hope I'm not the only one who went back to her/his SMTB thread to look for subtext in the comments...

I always wonder if, when posters on PS say "It's very pretty", they really don't like the ring that much. Usually posters will use more effusive words like gorgeous/stunning/amazing. Pretty seems lukewarm to me. I'm honestly not bothered if people don't like my ring though...everyone has different taste!

Really pretty is genuine. Sometimes a piece is REALLY pretty. It's not a knock, IMO.

From me "lovely" is genuine too.

ETA: THANK YOU QueenB29 :bigsmile:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1319834572|3049593 said:
Laila619|1319821477|3049445 said:

Really pretty is genuine. Sometimes a piece is REALLY pretty. It's not a knock, IMO.

From me "lovely" is genuine too.

ETA: THANK YOU QueenB29 :bigsmile:

I think I frequently use pretty when I do think something is beautiful, but it isn't my style, you know? There are so many absolutely gorgeous pieces that I know are gorgeous, but I wouldn't want.

I know it's more important that I love my pieces but sometimes a person needs validation!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stick to the vague compliment when I come across something really not good, but mostly, I can find something good to say: "I love a soliaire"(I do.) or "Wow, look at that rock!What a lucky lady you are!" are good ones for me, but I'm not nearly as well educated about diamonds are many of you, especially until the past couple years, so I've probably met a few close-to-duds and didn't think twice.

What I have come across a few times was a 'lucky lady' who spouted off the carat weight of her new piece, and I was sure she was way off. One co-worker proudly announce that she was wearing a 'carat and a half diamond." I wasn't sure if she meant the center stone or total weight, but it couldn't have been either. The center stone was very close to my 35 pt pendant and there might have been 25 points melee. It was very pretty, just not as big as she said. Thankfully, I thought fast and stayed with "Wow, you are a lucky girl!" But, a part of me wanted to ask: Are you sure? But obviously, I couldn't ask. Either she was making it up, or the guy had lied to her. Not good, either way.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I always tend to say " Oh,that's pretty!" even though I may actually think it it butt-ugly. There's no sense in hurting someone's feelings, ya know? This is in real life. Online, I generally won't comment unless a piece really strikes my eye as being beautiful. I always hear my grandmother's voice (like enerchi) and abide by the rule "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all".

All of this talk has me wondering now, about how many posts in SMTB are really genuine.....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SMTB isn't real life. No one can stick a POST in your face and FORCE you to comment. I would say the large majority of SMTB comments are VERY genuine.

You know why? Cause you can just shake your head and move on if you don't care for something.

There have been a few pieces that I don't like. I don't comment on those. Just move on.

If something isn't something I'd wear that doesn't mean I don't like it. There are a LOT of things out there that I don't think suit my personal style, but that I enjoy for others.

I don't wear yellow gold and therefore wouldn't buy it for myself. But can I really love a piece for it's artistry and beauty without wanting to own it? Absolutely. Am I gonna write a thesis for every post with a yellow gold setting saying " I don't wear yellow gold, blah... blah... blah......" NO. I will say "It's beautiful" or whatever.

And sometimes "Unique" isn't a bad thing. A lot of vintage items ARE truly UNIQUE. And beautiful too.

Don't worry about what other's think so much. If you love it, that's what really matters. I've posted my share of things in SMTB. I never wonder if anyone is being genuine.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have had some rings shoved in my face and replied as follows: Oh, I wish I had my glasses on so I could take a good look at your special ring! If it's something I really want to see, I go and get my glasses :saint: If someone is interested in advice, I'm happy to talk to them about it. I have helped people choose rings and given advice about design, but only if they request it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1319767803|3049104 said:
I lie unless its my best friend or someone I am very close to. But then again, I intervene before the bad decision is made.
agreed. when I see frozen spit in real life I compliement it. What can you say? They dont want to hear their ring is ugly.... it would only upset them. whwn people ask what you think of their new ____________, they are merely looking for compliments and attention.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results