shape
carat
color
clarity

When was your last haircut?.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting weekly emails from my local salon BEGGING...all in caps....for clients not to try and box color their hair at home. I think business will be good when they open up...lots of roots and color corrections to do. :eek2:

I think they are begging you not to color your hair at home because they don't want to lose the business. Our local salon is actually selling home color so their clients can color their hair at home since the quarantine is going to last at least a few more weeks if not through May. NYU hospital isn't booking anyone til June right now...

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are begging you not to color your hair at home because they don't want to lose the business. Our local salon is actually selling home color so their clients can color their hair at home since the quarantine is going to last at least a few more weeks if not through May. NYU hospital isn't booking anyone til June right now...

I’m assuming they are not selling $3.99 box color though....they can even go in and mix what they usually use on the client and provide instructions. That’s much different than drugstore OSFA color. It’s nice that the salons there can do that...ours can not.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m assuming they are not selling $3.99 box color though....they can even go in and mix what they usually use on the client and provide instructions. That’s much different than drugstore OSFA color. It’s nice that the salons there can do that...ours can not.

IDK because I don't color my hair anymore but you are probably correct. What your salon could be doing better instead of pleading with their clients in a blanket statement not to color their hair (because women who color are loyal to doing so and don't want to go gray and I get that) is to start selling appropriate hair dye so their clients can do it at home and feel good about themselves while under this quarantine. JMO.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@missy I don’t think are permitted to do so. Our nonessential business are closed up tight. No curbside pickup even at fabric stores for only mask making materials. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start to forbid buying the non essential items, as a few other states are doing.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About a year. I have long haïr and no grey yet. I'm mainly doing a bun every day.

DS was overdue when we went into lockdown. Saturday he asked DH to get out the clippers... This is major, he's had the same hairstyle (longer upper/front) all his life...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I don’t think are permitted to do so. Our nonessential business are closed up tight. No curbside pickup even at fabric stores for only mask making materials. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start to forbid buying the non essential items, as a few other states are doing.

I think the local salon was shipping the hair dye. Not sure though.

It’s crazy (IMO) that liquor stores are considered essential and other businesses like fabric stores that can sell material for masks are not considered essential.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. Our recreational pot store is also essential but I'm sewing masks with clothes line for ties and wire from the lawn and garden store. It works...but the fabric store has bias tape and other supplies that would make this easier ( I really hate making bias tape, lol). Fortunately I have a friend who is a quilter and she provided more thread when I ran out. She also got a large donation of fabric so I don't have to cut up my brand new bed sheets after all!! (yet). The nursing homes here are not as high priority as the hospitals regarding PPE so we are making for them. That by itself defies all logic.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Back to the original topic...sort of...DH and DS just got kitchen haircuts. I used to do it years ago and although I was out of practice they are appreciative have no complaints. I do have one complaint....neither one offered a tip!!! :roll:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. Our recreational pot store is also essential but I'm sewing masks with clothes line for ties and wire from the lawn and garden store. It works...but the fabric store has bias tape and other supplies that would make this easier ( I really hate making bias tape, lol). Fortunately I have a friend who is a quilter and she provided more thread when I ran out. She also got a large donation of fabric so I don't have to cut up my brand new bed sheets after all!! (yet). The nursing homes here are not as high priority as the hospitals regarding PPE so we are making for them. That by itself defies all logic.

Glad you are taking care of the nursing homes. You are so right. There is much that doesn't make sense but I always say common sense isn't common at all. Glad you have the fabric and thread you need to help sew PPEs for the nursing homes.:appl:Nice going!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you missy. It truly feels like the least I can do in this overall terrible situation. :(

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not gonna lie, I don't even remember when my last one was lol. I normally only cut my hair once-twice a year, so it's been a while. I want to say maybe september?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I get my hair cut (and colored) religiously every 5 weeks. Its been about 9 weeks now. No big deal as I wear it medium length and it's in good condition from regular cuts.
I DID promise my hair colorist that I would not use a box color. She said that would create color issues that would be difficult to rectify.
She has provided me with product and instruction for my permanent color. I colored from my crown forward 2 weeks ago and it looks respectable.

When it is safe I will visit her and she will make it all good.

What I will do is give her a tip equal to the amount I would have paid her for whatever visits I have missed. She takes care of me and I want to take care of her.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a lot of orange and green hair out there,,,,from people messing it up...... source my sis who they call crying for advise.

@Karl_K I just bought hair color. I haven’t colored my hair in yearrrrrrs! I’m very much like Lucille Ball...I get a bee in my bonnet and I decide I’m going to do something...I think this will be a mistake. TG no one will see me. My husband will get upset though when he comes to visit. He wasn’t happy when I chopped off four inches of my hair...:lol:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I need a haircut!.. boohoo1.gif

Get your wife to do it. It isn't hard to do a basic men's trim. I did my husbands for years (he's lost most of his hair now) and still do my younger boy. It helps to have good scissors meant to cut hair (order a set). You can YouTube videos to give a general idea. I've saved hundreds on cuts for them over the years, just go slow and for the first time maybe try a dry cut so not too much is taken off.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
my next appt is May 9 which will be 7 weeks since I had a haircut...what a great time to go grey! my last color was in Oct. just hoping that the salon will be open by then. Yes i got lazy on not using uppercase letters in this post.....
coffee in hand. : ). I keep my hair short.......

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really desperate now, when I had my hair cut just before the lockdown, we were due to go away, so I didn’t have as much cut off as I would normally, had a 2 week post cut cut, when it’s easier to manage. I regret that now, because my hair is at about 7-8 post usual cut, and it’s driving me mad.

Speaking to my friend the other day (she’s also my hairdresser), I’ve asked her to make me her first client when she can work again :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was September. After I hurt my back but before it got to where I couldn't get around. I had my hair colored pink/purple/teal 9+ months before and had let it fade out working towards natural again. I had gotten to where the top 6" or so was my natural color and the rest of my hair (a bit past shoulders) was bleached with hints of color left. It was epically horrible! So glad I got it fixed the and didn't have to live with it through the stay at home orders...

Lucky for DH, I always cut his hair. A pair of hair scissors and patience with curly hair does better than the barbers in the area! Been cutting his hair for something like 14 years now.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My last cut was January 5th and I wish I had gone back to get it fixed when I had the chance. I got about 6 inches chopped off and ended up with a long bob when I wanted more of a shag. It wasn't my hair stylist's fault, I was light on instructions. I figured I'd have it layered more on the next cut, which of course never came. Now I've got the dreaded triangle/pyramid thing going on, Waaahhhh!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nov 20th, 2019...my cut is growing out nicely but I really dont like it this long. I was scheduled for a cut last month but then covid hit and that was that.
Who knows how long it will be now? Only good thing is that it is long enough to go up in a ponytail.

Last edited:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weeeeell my hair gets very heavy with a little bit of growth. About three days ago I couldn't take it any more and snipped a bit myself!! I actually quite like it, but my hair is wavy and a bit boho, so it's forgiving.

I have always cut my DH's hair, so he's good. One of my kids has boy short hair so I cleaned her up. The other has boy short hair but she's decided that now is a good time to grow it out, no issues there. And my son thought he'd have some fun seeing how long it could go during this time so he's all set.

My friend's stylist dropped off her color for her to do herself. Word has it that it went well, and she joked with her stylist (a long-time friend) that she just lost a client! I am going to try coloring my hair with henna... I bought it a while ago wanting to try it, but never got around to it. Now's the time!

@missy I have a close friend who is a stylist. I believe she has said that store-bought color is a nightmare and contains a lot of ingredients that salon color does not. Ingredients that wreek havoc on hair and are a nightmare to color-correct. The salon coloring doesn't play well with the store-bought coloring, which has to be stripped, which is awful for your hair. I imagine that is why your salon is begging clients not to color, they know that it's going to be worse in the long run that living with roots and grays for a few more months. That's my guess anyway.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weeeeell my hair gets very heavy with a little bit of growth. About three days ago I couldn't take it any more and snipped a bit myself!! I actually quite like it, but my hair is wavy and a bit boho, so it's forgiving.

I have always cut my DH's hair, so he's good. One of my kids has boy short hair so I cleaned her up. The other has boy short hair but she's decided that now is a good time to grow it out, no issues there. And my son thought he'd have some fun seeing how long it could go during this time so he's all set.

My friend's stylist dropped off her color for her to do herself. Word has it that it went well, and she joked with her stylist (a long-time friend) that she just lost a client! I am going to try coloring my hair with henna... I bought it a while ago wanting to try it, but never got around to it. Now's the time!

@missy I have a close friend who is a stylist. I believe she has said that store-bought color is a nightmare and contains a lot of ingredients that salon color does not. Ingredients that wreek havoc on hair and are a nightmare to color-correct. The salon coloring doesn't play well with the store-bought coloring, which has to be stripped, which is awful for your hair. I imagine that is why your salon is begging clients not to color, they know that it's going to be worse in the long run that living with roots and grays for a few more months. That's my guess anyway.

I hear you but my salon wasn’t the salon in question. I don’t remember which poster it was. The local salon sells professional hair color for touch ups during this time. I no longer color my hair so I’m not missing any hair appointments. Lol I usually only get my hair cut once to twice a year as it is. I saw my hairstylist in January so I’m still ok.

Nice you’re cutting hair yourself. Very impressive.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never heard that @rainydaze, I always touch up my roots at 3 weeks at home with a shop bought colour, then have my professional colour at 5 weeks. Makes absolutely no difference to my hair of the colour blending.

I’ve been using colour on my hair for over 40 years, and my hair is really thick and in good condition.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy haha, well maybe if I had a three-way mirror and could see all around it, it wouldn't be so impressive! And oops... yes you quoted @1ofakind and I just read it as being your post. I'd love to blame that on quarantine-brain but I'm not sure that would be accurate. ;-):D

@Austina that's great!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I need a haircut!.. boohoo1.gif

I cut for DH and DS last week. I’ll probably do it at least once more...hubby would like it if I would always cut his hair but he never leaves me a tip!

I offered our clippers to a friend but she used her dog grooming kit on her husband instead.

People are making haircuts happen...maybe you can find a way. Lol

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last haircut was at the end of February. It was already getting longer and I could have had her do more than a trim, but hey, no problem! "Mary" is actually 7 months pregnant and going out on maternity leave in the middle of April, so I made an appointment for 6 weeks instead of my usual 10 week interval. You can guess the rest. Salon is closed, no appointment, as if either of us would have gone, anyway. Baby is due in May, she had been planning to return in July, but I honestly wouldn't be in a hurry to return, if I were her. So, either I will have to ask her to recommend another stylist, when they are able to open up or just continue to trim my bangs and live in a bun or pony tail until I can see her again. (per the bang trim, I watched you tube videos, several of them, to find a way to do it, and only take a little bit off at a time. It took me three trims to get what I wanted last week. Less is more.)

Fortunatley, I have always done my own color. I know, I know, lots of people make fun of box color, but you know what? I've had people tell me that they honestly thought I was a natural redhead ( a light reddish brown, not Lucille Ball red) so I guess I'm lucky to have found a product that works for me. I'm about 4 weeks out on that, need to do a root job soon, but why hurry, neither my family nor my pets care! Kidding, I care and will probably do it tomorrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy haha, well maybe if I had a three-way mirror and could see all around it, it wouldn't be so impressive! And oops... yes you quoted @1ofakind and I just read it as being your post. I'd love to blame that on quarantine-brain but I'm not sure that would be accurate. ;-):D

@Austina that's great!

Haha I say blame it on quarantine brain. I won't challenge that. In fact I think that's going to be my go to excuse for all my oops moments (of which there are too many these days...it's the fault of this quarantine). :shhh: :lol: See what I did there?

And as for 3 way mirrors one can get inventive...If I want to see my hair all the way around I can. However lately I do not want to look in the mirror at all. Nope. No thanks. :P2

Here's a way I got inventive a while back though.

backofhair2018.jpg.png

My last haircut was at the end of February. It was already getting longer and I could have had her do more than a trim, but hey, no problem! "Mary" is actually 7 months pregnant and going out on maternity leave in the middle of April, so I made an appointment for 6 weeks instead of my usual 10 week interval. You can guess the rest. Salon is closed, no appointment, as if either of us would have gone, anyway. Baby is due in May, she had been planning to return in July, but I honestly wouldn't be in a hurry to return, if I were her. So, either I will have to ask her to recommend another stylist, when they are able to open up or just continue to trim my bangs and live in a bun or pony tail until I can see her again. (per the bang trim, I watched you tube videos, several of them, to find a way to do it, and only take a little bit off at a time. It took me three trims to get what I wanted last week. Less is more.)

Fortunatley, I have always done my own color. I know, I know, lots of people make fun of box color, but you know what? I've had people tell me that they honestly thought I was a natural redhead ( a light reddish brown, not Lucille Ball red) so I guess I'm lucky to have found a product that works for me. I'm about 4 weeks out on that, need to do a root job soon, but why hurry, neither my family nor my pets care! Kidding, I care and will probably do it tomorrow.

Yeah in fact I am now remembering that there is box color that is actually better for your hair than salon color if one is sensitive to dyes and chemicals. You can purchase peroxide free or was it peroxide low and ammonia free hair color? Something like that. Good luck finding another stylist and I am sure once things open back up you will find someone to cut your hair and probably your hairstylist will return before you know it. I think people are getting a little bit antsy to get back to work.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interestingly enough and I am not sure if this is fact or fiction, wearing a beard or other facial hair makes the masks less effective. Let me go research that and see if I can verify or deny that statement.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there's another reason that these masks might not work: different kinds of facial hair that can prevent the necessary impenetrable seal from being formed.

In 2017, the CDC shared a somewhat inadvertently entertaining graphic that explains style-by-style the types of facial hair work under a mask, and the ones that don't. It is relevant today as the public looks to take preventative measures against the spread of the coronavirus.

The best precautions are the standard, everyday ways to avoid all germs: wash your hands frequently, try not to touch your face, and avoid close contact with sick people. The CDC has, however, told US healthcare providers to wear surgical masks. That lowers the risk that a potentially infected person could spread the coronavirus to others via saliva or phlegm.

If you are choosing to wear a mask and have facial hair, clean-shaven is preferable, of course.

"In order for these to work and protect you against all the material that can be flying around you, — down to about five microns in size, which is why they call them N-95s — in order to get that level of protection, you, first of all, have to be an adult without a beard," Amler added. "I shaved during the anthrax response."

What facial hairstyles will work
Soul patches, side whiskers, pencils, toothbrushes, painter's brushes, zorros, zappas, walruses, chevrons, and handlebars will also all work because the hair can remain under the facemask.

Goatees, anchors, balbos, horseshoes, and villains are all maybes. Those with these facial hairstyles will need to be "careful not to cross the seal," according to the graphic.

What won't do? Stubble, french forks, ducktails, verdis, chin curtains, extended goatees, mutton chops, hulihees, fu manchus, englishes, dalis, imperials, van dykes, garibaldis, bandholzes, and circle beards.

There is a disclaimer on the bottom of the explainer: "This graphic may not include all types of facial hairstyles. For any style, hair should not cross under the respirator sealing surface."

For the most effective use of a medical face mask, you have to undergo something called a "fit test" to test the seal between your face and the facemask.

"While you're wearing this mask, somebody sprays something really nasty around you — it's a chemical that makes everybody cough their brains out if it gets in their mouth, and it's a test to see if that mask is really working," Amler said. "Believe me. I learned to shave when wearing one."

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly enough and I am not sure if this is fact or fiction, wearing a beard or other facial hair makes the masks less effective. Let me go research that and see if I can verify or deny that statement.

Yes, they showed the graphics in this article.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results