shape
carat
color
clarity

When people complain asschers face up small . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many people assume diamonds are the same price per carat regardless of shape.

According to Bluenile's chart an asscher is 43% cheaper than a round of the same weight and specs.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_shape_price.jsp?tempcurr=USD&rf=pd

So, when people complain asschers face up small so they can't afford one, we should tell them the asscher they can afford will be much heavier than the round they can afford.

Tell them, Don't compare equal weight; Compare equal price.

Thanks to centralsquare for posting this chart on Hangout. :wavey:

size2 .png

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
True, but I would still rather get a spread-ier emerald, with those lovely step cuts, for the same price if not less.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
EVERY shape is a bargain compared to rounds these days, even the cuts that face up larger than rounds!

I always say that if spread is a concern, skip the asscher. I'm an asscher girl, so I'd take it over all other shapes any day of the week!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1314824404|3006669 said:
EVERY shape is a bargain compared to rounds these days, even the cuts that face up larger than rounds!

I always say that if spread is a concern, skip the asscher. I'm an asscher girl, so I'd take it over all other shapes any day of the week!
This has been true since at least 2006! It surprises me that more savvy PSers don't indulge in fancy shapes.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
On the other hand, a well-cut round will probably face up whiter than a fancy that would show more tint, and it will hide inclusions better than a step cut. So that has to enter the equation as well. BlueNile is comparing G VS2 diamonds but maybe a more meaningful price comparison is between e.g. an I SI1 round and a G VS2 asscher.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
karpouzi|1314834886|3006866 said:
On the other hand, a well-cut round will probably face up whiter than a fancy that would show more tint, and it will hide inclusions better than a step cut. So that has to enter the equation as well. BlueNile is comparing G VS2 diamonds but maybe a more meaningful price comparison is between e.g. an I SI1 round and a G VS2 asscher.

Very true. I own an asscher. It's a lovely stone and I enjoy it very much. If something happened to it, unless Kenny lost his mind and decided to sell me his 2 carat F for a bargain basement price... I'd be more likely to go for an EC, and Oval or a OEC.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1314825198|3006681 said:
NewEnglandLady|1314824404|3006669 said:

This has been true since at least 2006! It surprises me that more savvy PSers don't indulge in fancy shapes.

I love fancy shapes but for my ER a round was the only choice for me...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe rounds are that much more expensive!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have long thought there is a sort of adjustment that happens for the spread so that smaller face up size is cheaper per carat and then in the end, for the same price, you get about the same face up spread.

That said, I want to see the math. I think fancies are also less pricey using face up spread as the metric.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
karpouzi|1314834886|3006866 said:

That's a good point. Also, even though non-rounds may face up smaller than rounds at a lower price...the question is how much you may to spend to get the same mm (or similar)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314810885|3006496 said:
Thanks to centralsquare for posting this chart on Hangout. :wavey:

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results