shape
carat
color
clarity

When it comes to wedding dresses does your taste and your FI''s match

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, I LOVE that gorgeous, gorgeous dress!
30.gif
WOW!!

To answer your question, yes, our tastes did (and generally do) line up. I was about to say that he just doesn''t really care and thinks anything would look great, but I think that wouldn''t have been true if I''d been picking out corseted ball gowns with enormously long trains... now those dresses are beautiful, but not to either of our tastes.

Anyway... things may greatly change once you start looking at dresses. Probably not so much the fabrics (if you love lace you''ll likely love lace on, though I suppose you never know), but the silhouettes for sure. If you know that he loves cleavage and mermaid styles, you could look for those silhouettes with your lovely lace and cap sleeves.

That''s only if you want to go out of your way to suit his idea of what he likes. You really don''t have to, it is your dress, after all
2.gif
and he likely will forget all about what he thought would look best once he sees you in your wedding gown.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:04:10 PM
Author: violet02
I originally thought I might want an empire waisted flowy dress like the ones Pronovias had a year ago. Really cute. Or the Reem Acra dresses that were like that. I would hold up magazines with photos of ''similar'' styles to my DH and say ''Do you think that looks pretty?''. I did this quite a bit. He definitely did not. He didn''t like ball gown type dresses either and let me know that for sure when I held up pictures of those. He also wanted me to wear my hair and I wanted it down originally. It worked out pretty well though since he loved my dress and I wore my hair up. :) AND the dress was a suprise. I wound up getting a mermaid one. I just wanted to get an idea of what he didn''t like.

What you said about hair reminds me...I was also going to say that FI is a hair groomzilla too!!! He''s insisting that I grow it out and wear it down...and I want it shoulder length and probably up! But whenever I talk about cutting it or putting it up, he gets all pouty-faced and talks about how much he loves long hair, and he doesn''t want to be disappointed on his wedding day, blah blah blah. Well, not all girls wear long hair all that well, especially the ones with baby-fine hair like mine! Hmph!

I bet he''d cave on the hair issue before he caves on the dress. I''ve seriously never seen a straight guy so interested in a dress as this.
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb Good luck with the fitting, I think straps will look amazing on that dress :D. FI wants me to wear my hair long and down as well, I wanted it up I will see how I feel when I get the dress before I make that choice.

Thanks Musey I have shown that pic to his mum and sister and my niece and sister and they all think it is just beautiful, so romantic I have this thing for lace all of a sudden it is just so beautiful and so different to anything I know anyone else I have known has worn.

I was talking to FI today while he was having brekie and asked him so would you think I was beautiful if I wore a big poofy dress on our wedding day (even though he is not and neither am I the ballgown type I think they are beautiful just not me)and he was like yup just as long as you don''t wear a doylie.

LOL he thinks anything with lace looks like a doylie.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I love this dress, Deelight! It is so romantic and whimsical.

To answer your question, FI and I hate the same things, but we don''t exactly love the same things. But, I am confident that he will think I look beautiful no matter what I choose--and so will your FI!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:14:30 PM
Author: jstarfireb
What you said about hair reminds me...I was also going to say that FI is a hair groomzilla too!!! He''s insisting that I grow it out and wear it down...and I want it shoulder length and probably up! But whenever I talk about cutting it or putting it up, he gets all pouty-faced and talks about how much he loves long hair, and he doesn''t want to be disappointed on his wedding day, blah blah blah. Well, not all girls wear long hair all that well, especially the ones with baby-fine hair like mine! Hmph!

I bet he''d cave on the hair issue before he caves on the dress. I''ve seriously never seen a straight guy so interested in a dress as this.
3.gif
LOL, I actually asked my husband if he was sure he wasn''t a closet homosexual!

He insisted that we go to a wedding show here in London as my mother was too ill to come and he ''didn''t want me to miss out''. I was a little suprised - which then turned to shock when he insited that we had to get seats for the fashion show 30 minutes in advance so we could sit near the front - and then sat and made notes on the programme about the shapes and fabrics he liked.

I knew he is very into interior design - but I hadn''t imagined that wedding-dresses could be quite so enthralling!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 12:03:51 AM
Author: katamari
I love this dress, Deelight! It is so romantic and whimsical.

To answer your question, FI and I hate the same things, but we don''t exactly love the same things. But, I am confident that he will think I look beautiful no matter what I choose--and so will your FI!

LOL I hope he does, I forgot to add this morning I was talking to him about the "doylie dresses" I was like so what if it was a backless sexy doylie would you think I was beautiful then? FI: No, what about this or this or this he is really against lace.

I think he was just being a smart bum but I know he really does not like frilly lacey anything.

The good news is his idea of a dress budget is very healthy so is his shoe budget
31.gif

kellybelly

Shiny_Rock
i am with Panda08-- i never asked. to me, it should be a total surprise what you look like that day. also, i dress myself, style my hair, etc. the way that i like. if it were up to FI i would have hair grown down to my rear and wear low-cut shirts all the time, but that''s not what i like so i don''t do it. and i don''t think my wedding day should be any different.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 7:11:48 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 1/21/2009 9:14:30 PM
Author: jstarfireb
What you said about hair reminds me...I was also going to say that FI is a hair groomzilla too!!! He's insisting that I grow it out and wear it down...and I want it shoulder length and probably up! But whenever I talk about cutting it or putting it up, he gets all pouty-faced and talks about how much he loves long hair, and he doesn't want to be disappointed on his wedding day, blah blah blah. Well, not all girls wear long hair all that well, especially the ones with baby-fine hair like mine! Hmph!

I bet he'd cave on the hair issue before he caves on the dress. I've seriously never seen a straight guy so interested in a dress as this.
3.gif
LOL, I actually asked my husband if he was sure he wasn't a closet homosexual!

He insisted that we go to a wedding show here in London as my mother was too ill to come and he 'didn't want me to miss out'. I was a little suprised - which then turned to shock when he insited that we had to get seats for the fashion show 30 minutes in advance so we could sit near the front - and then sat and made notes on the programme about the shapes and fabrics he liked.

I knew he is very into interior design - but I hadn't imagined that wedding-dresses could be quite so enthralling!
Haha, ok... small TJ:

All the women in FI's family are professional dancers. Well, FI and I have season tix to Houston Texans games, and without fail every halftime he insists on critiquing their performance. You can imagine my head spinning the first game he took me to when we were dating.

Him: "Wow, these are the most hideous high kicks all season... and the way they're flipping thier hair, they look like strippers."
Me: Whaaaaaa??
23.gif

ETA: Pandora, I could NEVER get FI at a Bridal show, but if somehow he was there, I would have pointed at your FI on the front row of the fashion show and said, "See babe, some FI's do care!!"
27.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 1:25:21 AM
Author:Deelight

Here is the dress I have fallen in love with, however it is not sold in Australia so I was going to look for a similar style.

POB Natalie

I''m not a BIW yet, but I do come over here to lurk most days
1.gif
and got so excited when I clicked on the link to your dress because that''s EXACTLY the dress I want. Now I''m nervous that SO won''t like it when it comes to picking a dress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results