shape
carat
color
clarity

When does it stop? Ever satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 2:50:36 PM
Author: Rod

Congratulations and you my friend are likely destined to be a DOCD sufferer. In case you haven''t seen DOCD before, here it is:

You have Diamond Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (DOCD), an illness many of us suffer from on this forum. DOCD, discovered by Dr. Brillianteering in the early 1900''s, is a manifestation of mental anomolies when perfectly sane individuals become the owners of high quality diamonds and the settings those diamond sit in. What typically occurs for an accurate DOCD diagnosis is euphoria upon the purchase of a nice gem or setting, followed by self doubt, and ultimately downright concern that the purchased stone or setting has somehow magically changed in appearance or shrunk while the owner slept.

While there are no known medications available to combat DOCD, many people have reported the symptoms are reduced or completely eliminated by buying larger more perfectly cut diamonds or by visiting chain jewelry stores, such as Zales or Kay, or having lunch with a friend who has jewelry of poorer quality than the DOCD sufferer.

Cheers!
ROFL!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I do occasionally feel guilty about my "wish list" of jewelry and other material things. I found PS during my e-ring research stage (I am also an avid researcher), and have stayed on to enjoy the "hunt" vicariously. Unfortunately, being on here creates quite the fantasy wish list -- hmmm, I''d like the Pokey special, a WF 3-stone truffle ring with sapphires and diamonds, a large blue Asscher cut gemstone in an Art Deco setting, etc. The funny thing is, I rarely wear rings other than my e-ring & w-ring beause I find them uncomfortable.

I have no desire to "upgrade" my e-ring. I picked out the stone (1.17 marquise), and I love the shape and think it looks huge on my finger. I originally selected a plain platinum w-ring so as not to distract from the star of the show, but I''ve grown bored of the plain band. We just ordered a sapphire eternity band to give me some variety. We got a good deal at Signed Pieces, so part of the joy for me was the hunt again.

I wear suits every day to work, and love the look of necklaces and pendants (and they don''t bug me like rings), so my short-term wish list for holidays and birthdays is all pendants. I have two sets of earrings DH has given me over the years for which I would like to have matching pendants created. Based on what the earrings cost, I don''t think either pendant would cost more than $500, although who knows with rising metal prices. My dream is to one day have a 1 carat RB solitaire pendant. I have learned so much about ideal RBs here, that I would love to have one someday. I do think it is very important to never buy something you cannot comfortably afford.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 7:22:30 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/18/2006 5:56:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Nice post, Sam! You sound like a psychologist or counselor or some similar profession.

I do think it could be dangerous for someone who had material desires and was spending beyond their means. Hopefully that is not the case here. Surely those of us getting upgrades are only getting what we can afford. I''m very happy with the 1.63 H VS1 I finally found, but I surely was tempted when I saw a 2ct yellow oval Beaudry ring turn up in Peralman''s great deals today! However, it is not my desire to spend as much as a new car to buy two diamond rings at the moment, so I will resist that desire to have the ring from Pearlman''s!!!

I think that is the real key, to enjoy the material things, within one''s means. However, the material will never fill a void in relationships, spiritual needs, etc.
DS
35.gif

look at it this way....the two diamond rings will keep on sparkling 20 yrs from now
10.gif
the new car will turn into a pile of rust metal.
14.gif
9.gif
You''re preachin'' to the choir, DF! My problem is that if I spend $40,000 on two rings, then he''ll think it is his turn to go buy a new Porsche. So I try to stay conservative on our spending!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 9:34:55 PM

You''re preachin'' to the choir, DF! My problem is that if I spend $40,000 on two rings, then he''ll think it is his turn to go buy a new Porsche. So I try to stay conservative on our spending!
LOL. I asked DH what he wants for our anniversary since I am getting the eternity ring. He asked if he could finally get a Ford GT (he mentions this every few months). Um, yeah, sure, if we sell the house!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
AND MAYBE A CIGAR IS JUST A GOOD SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFL CANUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 8:18:38 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I dunno, but I wonder if it has something to do with what people value--and how ''value'' is defined, quantified and eventually (if possible) articulated. I expect there is a lot of psychology/sociology embedded in this notion; and then again, perhaps a cigar is just a good smoke.

cheers--Sharon

Ditto

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never knew about asschers until PS. That lead me to buy one and then I had a blast designing the setting. I am very careful about what I buy and what I spend. Luckily it''s all under control and I am fiscally very responsible. I can say, there is nothing on my wish list right now.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
For me this stuff kind of goes in waves. I have always loved jewelry, but I may buy or be given several pieces over a couple of years and then nothing for the next few years. My latest upgrades came about because I was tired of all my yellow gold jewelry and wanted to move into white gold and platinum. I wouldn''t mind a bigger pendant or an eternity ring, but I too am responsible with my spending and can wait until the timing is right.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 10:53:09 PM
Author: Sundial
For me this stuff kind of goes in waves. I have always loved jewelry, but I may buy or be given several pieces over a couple of years and then nothing for the next few years. My latest upgrades came about because I was tired of all my yellow gold jewelry and wanted to move into white gold and platinum. I wouldn''t mind a bigger pendant or an eternity ring, but I too am responsible with my spending and can wait until the timing is right.
This is exactly me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 9:34:55 PM

Date: 7/18/2006 7:22:30 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

DS
35.gif

look at it this way....the two diamond rings will keep on sparkling 20 yrs from now
10.gif
the new car will turn into a pile of rust metal.
14.gif
9.gif
DS
how old is hubby? maybe thats his mid-life crisis car.
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 9:06:19 PM
Author: Kay
I do occasionally feel guilty about my ''wish list'' of jewelry and other material things. I found PS during my e-ring research stage (I am also an avid researcher), and have stayed on to enjoy the ''hunt'' vicariously. Unfortunately, being on here creates quite the fantasy wish list -- hmmm, I''d like the Pokey special, a WF 3-stone truffle ring with sapphires and diamonds, a large blue Asscher cut gemstone in an Art Deco setting, etc. The funny thing is, I rarely wear rings other than my e-ring & w-ring beause I find them uncomfortable.

I have no desire to ''upgrade'' my e-ring. I picked out the stone (1.17 marquise), and I love the shape and think it looks huge on my finger. I originally selected a plain platinum w-ring so as not to distract from the star of the show, but I''ve grown bored of the plain band. We just ordered a sapphire eternity band to give me some variety. We got a good deal at Signed Pieces, so part of the joy for me was the hunt again.

I wear suits every day to work, and love the look of necklaces and pendants (and they don''t bug me like rings), so my short-term wish list for holidays and birthdays is all pendants. I have two sets of earrings DH has given me over the years for which I would like to have matching pendants created. Based on what the earrings cost, I don''t think either pendant would cost more than $500, although who knows with rising metal prices. My dream is to one day have a 1 carat RB solitaire pendant. I have learned so much about ideal RBs here, that I would love to have one someday. I do think it is very important to never buy something you cannot comfortably afford.
My wishlist has grown since I''ve been posting here... I''m already planning down the line sometime getting an rb in a pendant LOL (that is if I don''t manage to kick myself into getting a round now for my ring)... but when I think about my ring, I really don''t ever want to change it. I feel fortunate to have found ps and I guess I should count myself lucky that we waited all of these years so that we''d have internet and technology on our side. But I''m way too sentimental to ever trade up or trade in or change. This is it. And sure, I''ve suffered some DSS without even having GOTTEN a stone yet... (I wanted a 3/4 c and am now up to 1.5 if I do round lol) but my desire is more about having THE ring that will represent everything we''ve been, everything we are, and everything we will be. {{I can''t do a 3-stone ring... my husband and I have a private joke about it... we call them three hole rings and I''ll just leave it at that
37.gif
LOL}
} ANYWAY, it is important to me to fill all of my dreams this one time. Unfortunately for me I know what I want, I know how I want my stone and ring to perform, but I lack the lingo to describe it. I guess I''m a researcher too... I''ve been researching obsessively for weeks now! lol

I do think sometimes that my husband saying to me, "It''s time" is almost (note: almost) enough for me to just be like, you know... let''s use the money for something else... let''s save it and get us closer to moving back to CA, or even invest it for an even BETTER stone/ring later LOL His practicality is definitely wearing off on me - it has gotten us to this point financially from where we were. But, I am not a practical person, and I do want a pretty ring on my finger that means the world to me. And I DO want him to say all of the wonderful things to me as he gives it to me. font>

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 11:31:03 PM

Date: 7/18/2006 10:53:09 PM
Author: Sundial
This is exactly me.
Me too, kind of LOL I always wanted platinum, but when we got married in 91 it just wasn''t as available and was way out of our price range... so I got married with my g-gma''s band that is an old fashioned yellow gold. So then two years later when we renewed, I got a gold channel set anniversary band that matched it. I always thought I''d get a chanel set for my solitaire, also in yellow gold, to go with them. Well, deep down I really always wanted platinum (though honestly now I lean toward white gold for its more antiquey look), and I don''t like the way anniversary band fits on the finger... so I''m scrapping it all and just making the one ring I always wanted in a white metal.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You deserve all that and more, Miss Lorelei!!!! And I will send out the vibes any time!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww...thank you Diamondfan, I couldn''t have done all this without you!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results