shape
carat
color
clarity

When do you buy lab/MMD vs. mined?

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
I would be happy with LGD for every future piece. I have studs, huggies, wedding bands, and engagement rings currently. The prices of lab grown pieces have allowed me to enjoy all these!

I would probably only buy mined now for something I couldn’t find in lab grown. I wanted a square radiant hearts & arrows cut and ended up getting a beautiful mined .91 carat because it was a more rare cut and I couldn’t find any lab ones. I love it, but sometimes I think about the size in lab grown I could have gotten for the same price if it existed!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I got one LGD because I needed a certain size to see the OEC facets but I knew I would not wear it every day so the $/wears for a mined diamond was too high. I got another LGD because I wanted a little OMC that was white and clean.

Someday I would like a HPHT with enough metallic inclusions to be magnetic. Bonus points if it glows in the dark.

If I were to get a custom cut or a rare or fantasy cut I would probably go with LGD for economy. For example a dodecahedron drilled pendant would be awesome but there’s no way I could afford mined rough and would not want to waste it by drilling. I think there’s real potential for LGD to let consumers get creative as well as cutters.

I’m on the fence about bracelets.
Ok I did not know they could be magnetic OR glow in the dark--I find this to be extremely cool and now I want one too.

What if everyone is wrong and the value of LGD actually goes up in the future due to demand and maybe regulatory issues like carbon tax for production? Is this a ridiculous thought or could it be possible?
I've thought of this. I think about how a lot of early 1900s jewelry had synthetic sapphires, etc. So many millenials want MMD or moissy now due to the low price/ethical reasons (this is another discussion, I see a lot of conflicting views on the ethics of MMD.) So maybe they will be worth more as vintage pieces?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Ok I did not know they could be magnetic OR glow in the dark--I find this to be extremely cool and now I want one too.

I've thought of this. I think about how a lot of early 1900s jewelry had synthetic sapphires, etc. So many millenials want MMD or moissy now due to the low price/ethical reasons (this is another discussion, I see a lot of conflicting views on the ethics of MMD.) So maybe they will be worth more as vintage pieces?

That is a cool idea, that someday LGD jewelry will be trendy vintage.

HPHT can have metallic inclusions that are magnetic; and phosphorescence. Both traits are considered undesirable so maybe we can find some for cheap. :mrgreen2:

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Yup. Champagne diamonds, chocolate diamonds, etc.

Leon Mege has an interesting FAQ on MMD: https://leonmege.com/lab-grown-diamonds/

I thought I saw something else on there a few weeks ago saying in sum and substance that people put assign their own values to jewelry. It is hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or not; either way the idea is still true. Diamonds wouldn't cost as much as they do if we didn't let them. :lol-2:

Oh my gosh, I love this so much haha

Yup. Champagne diamonds, chocolate diamonds, etc.

Leon Mege has an interesting FAQ on MMD: https://leonmege.com/lab-grown-diamonds/

I thought I saw something else on there a few weeks ago saying in sum and substance that people put assign their own values to jewelry. It is hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or not; either way the idea is still true. Diamonds wouldn't cost as much as they do if we didn't let them. :lol-2:

LM’s site is f’ing hysterical. If I’m being honest with myself, it’s half of why I wanted him (edit: well, his people) to make my engagement ring. Jewelry and a show!

Sometimes, after reading certain threads here on PS, I will start to second guess my choice of LGD for the center stone of my e-ring. When that happens, I hop over to LM’s Editorial section for a sanity check — cures what ails me right quick. :D

Some choice lines (balanced by mockery of LGD marketing claims, because for LM nothing is sacred):

“DeBeers learned that diamonds are forever the hard way because every diamond ever found is still with us.”

“There are plenty of natural diamonds to satisfy human vanity until our civilization self-destructs.”

“So if your priority is a feeling of romance and tranquility, we recommend getting a natural diamond. But if you are a rational person without silly superstitions, go ahead, get the human-made diamond and save money to buy a mountain bike.”

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
LM’s site is f’ing hysterical. If I’m being honest with myself, it’s half of why I wanted him (edit: well, his people) to make my engagement ring. Jewelry and a show!

Sometimes, after reading certain threads here on PS, I will start to second guess my choice of LGD for the center stone of my e-ring. When that happens, I hop over to LM’s Editorial section for a sanity check — cures what ails me right quick. :D

Some choice lines (balanced by mockery of LGD marketing claims, because for LM nothing is sacred):

“DeBeers learned that diamonds are forever the hard way because every diamond ever found is still with us.”

“There are plenty of natural diamonds to satisfy human vanity until our civilization self-destructs.”

“So if your priority is a feeling of romance and tranquility, we recommend getting a natural diamond. But if you are a rational person without silly superstitions, go ahead, get the human-made diamond and save money to buy a mountain bike.”

Yeah, he is hilarious! I wanted to work with him for my latest project--I adore his work--but when I got a quote I found it weird and I got spooked. Maybe next time. Your emerald cuts and baguettes are gorgeous and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

You gotta do what is best for YOU! This is one of the reasons why I don't use social media. Don't let what others have or say make you feel bad about your choices. I've been on PS for almost a decade and did not start posting until a couple of weeks ago. These couple of weeks have been great BUT I do sometimes feel like maybe something is not "good enough." I gotta remind myself that is all in my head. I think you're spot on using Leon's page as a reality check!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter received her MMD 3 stone ring the day before yesterday. She is 34y.o. and always wanted a natural one bigger than 2mm princess cut she bought when she was a college student (I personally grade it as Y-Z and SI2, the cute little ring is now in my posession). But she did research and in her opinion natural diamonds are way overpriced so she concentrated her attention on colored stones. She was my best friend and "business" partner, we were dreaming together about buying new sapphires and spinels, and garnets and tourmalines. And a small ruby too! And creating a collection of heirloom pieces. Since yesterday she is hooked and addicted to LGD and I feel a little lonely and almost betrayed :cry: . My tastes haven't changed, I love colored stones and tiny/small natural diamonds that I can afford. If I ever decide to get a diamond bigger than 0.5ct, It would only be a lab grown. And I am going to love it as much as I love my natural CSs :love: .

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own both types, both are equally beautiful. I don’t care where my diamonds come from. Price wins for me. If price comes down I think more people with large diamonds will be asked or assumed that they are MMD.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
MMD for things I’m not stressed to lose. I have a pair of mined diamond studs that were a sentimental gift, and regardless of insurance replacement I’d be sad to lose them. With young kids tugging on me and a busy schedule I was rarely wearing them, and was always checking my ears/not quite relaxed when I did (I’ve lost earrings several times before). I bought an MMD pair in the same size that I’ve been wearing almost daily.

This probably seems silly to some, but it allows me to enjoy diamond studs without worry in the back of my mind. If I lose them, they weren’t sentimental and will be easy enough to replace.

Similarly, I don’t do the “travel ring” thing, but if I bought one it would be MMD.

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
If resale of LGD were the same as mined then I don't think I would ever consider mined. I think the advertising industry has done a first rate job at romanticizing diamonds as unique and rare but if we take in all the raw materials the earth provides, diamonds don't rank anywhere near the top of the rarity scale. But I'd be lying if I said that influence hasn't had any impact on my decision making. The ER and eternity wedding band I purchased both contain mined diamonds. But moving forward I think most or all of my jewelry purchases will be LGD unless prices drop to nothing or they are viewed the same as CZ or Moissanite. So long as LGD are classified as diamonds and known as diamonds with the only difference being their origin LGD just seems like a smarter financial move.

Why would you stop buying MMDs if the price dropped to nothing? Nobody will ever view labgrowns as moissanite or cz or any other simulant, because they *drum roll* arent simulants but diamonds. If you could buy a LG 4ct round, star pattern, incredible light properties and it would be 2000$, would you buy it, if it was impossible to sell back? Or would you buy a 1carat round mined, similar light performance, star pattern, just incredibly shiny stone, for 9000$ but you can sell it back.

What do you choose.

Hwinty

Rough_Rock
I wish there were more MMDs with fluoro. I’ve yet to find any with more than faint fluoro. I like warm diamonds with hidden fluorescence super powers. Luckily they’re cheaper but there’s not as many of them cut with ideal proportions.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I've got antique diamonds to tick off my list, so I don't think I'll be purchasing white MMDs in the foreseeable future. However I like the idea of fancy colour MMDs - I'd love a large pink diamond at some stage.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish there were more MMDs with fluoro. I’ve yet to find any with more than faint fluoro. I like warm diamonds with hidden fluorescence super powers. Luckily they’re cheaper but there’s not as many of them cut with ideal proportions.

I wish the same!!!

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Apart from a 7 stone band, I have switched completely to MMD. (Not that I have a cache of diamonds)

Personally, the appeal of diamonds was never about their age or provenance. I liked their light performance and relative durability.

If I can get MMD for a fraction of the price of mined, I can’t imagine paying more for what is essentially the same thing. Especially since now since we have tools like ASET/HCA and other evaluators at our finger tips. Of course, this is entirely subjective and to each their own.

I brought 3 MMD (from clean origin) to my local jeweler recently. This is a jeweler who’s been in the business for 44 years and runs the premier fine jewelry store in my area. I respect them because they’re honest. He had no idea these were MMD. Only when I was leaving them and had to declare the value did he discover it, because he questioned if I had my figures right. Another store in Destin, Emerald Lady, has started selling MMD and that shocked me! Never thought I’d see that day.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Lab = always
Mined = never

The only reason I have diamonds is because of mmd. I can afford mined diamonds, but I don't think they are worth the price.

That said, I would be open to mined diamonds in the future should one fall into my lap. I also put aside my blue lightbox because of concerns over the colored diamonds being irradiated.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab = always
Mined = never

The only reason I have diamonds is because of mmd. I can afford mined diamonds, but I don't think they are worth the price.

That said, I would be open to mined diamonds in the future should one fall into my lap. I also put aside my blue lightbox because of concerns over the colored diamonds being irradiated.

I thought someone said Lightbox is blue because of boron, not irradiation.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only naturally mined here

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I will likely never purchased another mined diamond due to price, sustainability, and ethical reasons. When my SO initially asked how I felt about MMD I was staunchly against it. That was, until I did my homework and realized it’s a diamond!! Not a diamond simulant. Which means all of the sparkles for less cost and none of the ethical overhead issues.

Axelle838

Rough_Rock
I love how diamonds look and perform, so I don't care either way. It really comes down to price for me.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Diamond origin doesn’t mean anything to me. If MMD were available and affordable 24 years ago when I was getting engaged, I probably would have chosen MMD for all my diamonds including my engagement ring. But I have a lot of mined diamonds from years ago and my recent purchases have all been MMD.

I’m a value shopper, I only pay for things I can see with my eyes, so size and color. My eyes cannot tell of a Diamond is mined or grown in a lab. Here is a picture of my mined BGD super ideal 0.85tcw J color studs, stacked on my James Allen MMD ideal 1.66tcw G color studs. The mined BGD from my husband years ago that are half the total carat weight were $2300. The James Allen studs I bought for myself were double in carat weight, 3 color grades higher and only $2400.
‘Nuff Said…..I’m not a billionaire, I want best visual impact on a limited budget.

2204CAFF-28CC-4B14-809D-937D394DCDAB.jpeg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Diamond origin doesn’t mean anything to me. If MMD were available and affordable 24 years ago when I was getting engaged, I probably would have chosen MMD for all my diamonds including my engagement ring. But I have a lot of mined diamonds from years ago and my recent purchases have all been MMD.

I’m a value shopper, I only pay for things I can see with my eyes, so size and color. My eyes cannot tell of a Diamond is mined or grown in a lab. Here is a picture of my mined BGD super ideal 0.85tcw J color studs, stacked on my James Allen MMD ideal 1.66tcw G color studs. The mined BGD from my husband years ago that are half the total carat weight were $2300. The James Allen studs I bought for myself were double in carat weight, 3 color grades higher and only $2400.
‘Nuff Said…..I’m not a billionaire, I want best visual impact on a limited budget.

2204CAFF-28CC-4B14-809D-937D394DCDAB.jpeg

I also mix it up all the time. Keeps life interesting and keeps people guessing :)
Mined center flanked by MMD sides worn with mined 7-stone.

Attachments

• 35D076A2-8972-41C3-BCBC-83E7A6F3B579.jpeg
    35D076A2-8972-41C3-BCBC-83E7A6F3B579.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 62

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
For me, you can't beat natural if you have the money and the patience. To find a D IF for example, that's just next level. Say you were going for a 6-8ct D IF or D Flawless oval... and you find the perfect cut? That's going to be the end all for that particular cut and appearance.

THat said, I leaned towards LGD because while people may say resale is less with LGD, it does not matter since I'm not in the business of reselling anyway. With the money saved, I just buy Tesla stock and I'm sure I'll come out way ahead.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I like size and higher colors so it’s going to be hard to do EGD moving forward. I don’t have a mind clean issue, I just want to appreciate the beauty.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
When the SO and I started looking we went to a high-end jeweler downtown and asked their opinion on LGD vs natural. His response was great. He said even he couldn't tell the difference in high quality LGD vs natural stones without a microscope. My favourite bit was when he said if we bought a natural stone from him, walked out the door and came back in to hypothetically sell it he would only be able offer a fraction of what we paid for it, whereas for the LGD he would be able to buy it back for basically the same price we would have paid for it. He freely told us that info, and him saying that really solidified for us that there is no significant advantage to a natural diamond, and that the price markup is mostly marketing and not actual value (or "value" depending on your perspective on diamonds and the industry as a whole lol). The Jeweler said he'd buy a LGD instead of mined :D

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
When the SO and I started looking we went to a high-end jeweler downtown and asked their opinion on LGD vs natural. His response was great. He said even he couldn't tell the difference in high quality LGD vs natural stones without a microscope. My favourite bit was when he said if we bought a natural stone from him, walked out the door and came back in to hypothetically sell it he would only be able offer a fraction of what we paid for it, whereas for the LGD he would be able to buy it back for basically the same price we would have paid for it. He freely told us that info, and him saying that really solidified for us that there is no significant advantage to a natural diamond, and that the price markup is mostly marketing and not actual value (or "value" depending on your perspective on diamonds and the industry as a whole lol). The Jeweler said he'd buy a LGD instead of mined :D

So interesting! That’s the first time I have heard about a lab buyback policy like this from a retailer.

I’d love to hear if other retailers feel the same and/or have similar policies. @Rhino and @Garry H (Cut Nut) any thoughts?

Last edited:

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
So interesting! That’s the first time I have heard about a statement like this from a retailer.

I’d love to hear if other retailers feel the same. @Rhino and @Garry H (Cut Nut) any thoughts?

I was shocked too! I was expecting him to go on about how natural was superior etc so he could make more money, but that honesty was so surprising and extremely welcome. They're a very well known jeweler in my city and it was really nice to see that perspective even 2-3 years ago.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me, trial and error over the years has shown me that nothing but diamonds feel right to me as rings. I've sold or given away all the colored stone and moissanite rings I had collected over time. Other than a few bands I just want one engagement style ring and I want it to be mined. Whether or not it makes any sense or I've just bought into the advertising, it just feels more special to me. A "big" diamond is something I have literally wanted my entire adult life. I'm in the process of upgrading and I'm finally treating myself to something that feels extravagant and thrilling. I just would not get the same feeling from a lab stone.

That said, for other pieces like earrings, bracelets or pendants I would definitely buy LGD and already have for studs.

This is so similar to how I feel, I just never like any non diamond jewelry. Maybe on emerald I haven’t tried that yet! While I prefer mined because I love fluorescence, they are exactly the same so lab for me in the future and I’ll just hang on to the mined diamonds I have.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going down the route of earth-mined diamond for my 1ct approx. OEC as I prefer the wonky look of old cuts and not the precision cut LGDs.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results