shape
carat
color
clarity

When do you buy lab/MMD vs. mined?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
When do you buy lab/MMD vs. mined diamonds?

For me, I go with lab/MMD if I don't expect to wear the piece much, or am not willing to "commit" to the price of similar mined diamonds. The larger the individual carat size, the greater the savings lab/MMD diamonds offer.

If the price, specs, and resale were the same, would you prefer mined over lab/MMD diamonds?

I would prefer mined because I appreciate the "history" and "natural" aspect of the mined diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I always gravitate towards lab grown.

Same material/structure, same visual effect, at about half the price.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
When do you buy lab/MMD vs. mined diamonds?

For me, I go with lab/MMD if I don't expect to wear the piece much, or am not willing to "commit" to the price of similar mined diamonds. The larger the individual carat size, the greater the savings lab/MMD diamonds offer.

If the price, specs, and resale were the same, would you prefer mined over lab/MMD diamonds?

I would prefer mined because I appreciate the "history" and "natural" aspect of the mined diamond.

If resale of LGD were the same as mined then I don't think I would ever consider mined. I think the advertising industry has done a first rate job at romanticizing diamonds as unique and rare but if we take in all the raw materials the earth provides, diamonds don't rank anywhere near the top of the rarity scale. But I'd be lying if I said that influence hasn't had any impact on my decision making. The ER and eternity wedding band I purchased both contain mined diamonds. But moving forward I think most or all of my jewelry purchases will be LGD unless prices drop to nothing or they are viewed the same as CZ or Moissanite. So long as LGD are classified as diamonds and known as diamonds with the only difference being their origin LGD just seems like a smarter financial move.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
If resale of LGD were the same as mined then I don't think I would ever consider mined. I think the advertising industry has done a first rate job at romanticizing diamonds as unique and rare but if we take in all the raw materials the earth provides, diamonds don't rank anywhere near the top of the rarity scale. But I'd be lying if I said that influence hasn't had any impact on my decision making. The ER and eternity wedding band I purchased both contain mined diamonds. But moving forward I think most or all of my jewelry purchases will be LGD unless prices drop to nothing or they are viewed the same as CZ or Moissanite. So long as LGD are classified as diamonds and known as diamonds with the only difference being their origin LGD just seems like a smarter financial move.

If the value of LGD was similar to CZ, would that increase or decrease their desirability? I would probably buy a lot lot more of it!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was slow to accept LGDS. I became more open to the idea when I purchased a reasonably priced ring, and I was shocked how pretty it was. I will definitely be buying more.

That said, natural diamonds still feel more special to me. Just the fact that they are created by nature and are billions of years old speaks to my heart.

If I could only have one diamond, I would choose natural. Fortunately that's not the case, but I will still purchase natural diamonds for special occasions. For anything else, I'll probably go with LGDS.

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
If the value of LGD was similar to CZ, would that increase or decrease their desirability? I would probably buy a lot lot more of it!

I get what you mean. I just meant that if the value plummets to the point that LGD is associated with costume jewelry then I'd probably not be into it.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
For me, trial and error over the years has shown me that nothing but diamonds feel right to me as rings. I've sold or given away all the colored stone and moissanite rings I had collected over time. Other than a few bands I just want one engagement style ring and I want it to be mined. Whether or not it makes any sense or I've just bought into the advertising, it just feels more special to me. A "big" diamond is something I have literally wanted my entire adult life. I'm in the process of upgrading and I'm finally treating myself to something that feels extravagant and thrilling. I just would not get the same feeling from a lab stone.

That said, for other pieces like earrings, bracelets or pendants I would definitely buy LGD and already have for studs.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I got one LGD because I needed a certain size to see the OEC facets but I knew I would not wear it every day so the $/wears for a mined diamond was too high. I got another LGD because I wanted a little OMC that was white and clean.

Someday I would like a HPHT with enough metallic inclusions to be magnetic. Bonus points if it glows in the dark.

If I were to get a custom cut or a rare or fantasy cut I would probably go with LGD for economy. For example a dodecahedron drilled pendant would be awesome but there’s no way I could afford mined rough and would not want to waste it by drilling. I think there’s real potential for LGD to let consumers get creative as well as cutters.

I’m on the fence about bracelets.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a huge fan of antique cuts- all of my antique cuts are mined. I would only consider an antique cut lab diamond if it was a particular cut or color that I was looking for and couldn’t find in a natural. I like that all true antique diamonds are unique. For modern cuts though I think I’m going to shift to lab (at least for smaller stones). If it’s a mass produced modern shape; I honestly couldn’t care less about its origin.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
If I had $10-15K to spend right now:

* Antique ring with mined OEC/OMC to 1ct.
* Ideal cut MRB (WF or CBI, so mined) to 1ct.
* OEC or EC lab stone to 3ct (hopefully...)

So I guess you could say that lab stones are a no-brainer if size is the priority.

I am not wholly comfortable with the price of lab diamonds in bigger (>1ct) sizes yet. So I’m not sure I would buy lab diamonds in those sizes for now. I would be way more comfortable with a lab diamond in smaller sizes, but only if there’s a significant price difference to mined (like 50% less). For pieces with “significance”, like an engagement ring or wedding band, I would not want lab diamonds, they aren’t fully mind-clean for me (yet. Totally subject to change).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unlikely to spend big money of earth-mined diamonds now that I have a nice collection that I love.

My lab/MMD purchases so far were for earrings, and if I were to get an sizable OEC, it would be either a lab/MMD, or a Moissy.

DK :))

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, I just said this to myself a few days ago.
Because mined antique cuts speak so much more to me than their newer, modern counterparts, I think that is the only reason I would jump to buy a mined diamond now. There's always something 'off' about the modern antique cuts, for some reason. While the light performance may be great, the essence of the antique cuts gets lost.

For all other cuts, lab grown all the way. As someone who is analytical and pragmatic, lab grown pros far outweigh those of mined. I have no sentimental ties to the earth creating the same stone I can get sans all the other stuff in between (labor costs, marketing costs, 'legacy' costs), at a fraction of the price. I'll take those savings, please! --- and give to my financial planner to make me more money :bigsmile: .

I recently bought this large oval (LGD) and had 60 days to return. In that time, I must have checked every day, to see if I could find a mined stone with similar specs, but also cut as well (for a traditional oval). I could not. When I did find ones with similar specs, (4ct, F, S1), they looked awful! I made sure to save their photos in a file, if/when I ever questioned my LGD. And most importantly, they cost 75% more than the amazing stone I had staring right in front of me. So, even if the prices continue to go down, I'd be a fool to return it now.

Last edited:

Philmc99

Rough_Rock
What if everyone is wrong and the value of LGD actually goes up in the future due to demand and maybe regulatory issues like carbon tax for production? Is this a ridiculous thought or could it be possible?

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Funny, I just said this to myself a few days ago.
Because mined antique cuts speak so much more to me than their newer, modern counterparts, I think that is the only reason I would jump to buy a mined diamond now. There's always something 'off' about the modern antique cuts, for some reason. While the light performance may be great, the essence of the antique cuts gets lost.

For all other cuts, lab grown all the way. As someone who is analytical and pragmatic, lab grown pros far outweigh those of mined. I have no sentimental ties to the earth creating the same stone I can get sans all the other stuff in between (labor costs, marketing costs, 'legacy' costs), at a fraction of the price. I'll take those savings, please! --- and give to my financial planner to make me more money :bigsmile: .

I recently bought this large oval (LGD) and had 60 days to return. In that time, I must have checked every day, to see if I could find a mined stone with similar specs, but also cut as well (for a traditional oval). I could not. When I did find ones with similar specs, (4ct, F, S1), they looked awful! I made sure to save their photos in a file, if/when I ever questioned my LGD. And most importantly, they cost 75% more than the amazing stone I had staring right in front of me. So, even if the prices continue to go down, I'd be a fool to return it now.

So happy you decided to keep that oval, it's a real beauty!!!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
What if everyone is wrong and the value of LGD actually goes up in the future due to demand and maybe regulatory issues like carbon tax for production? Is this a ridiculous thought or could it be possible?

Anything is possible, but I doubt it as supply increases and technology advances...

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday after reading the initial post I started thinking really hard what side stones to choose for my 0.9ct beautiful dark pink sapphire. I plan to make a 3 stone ring and wanted 2 lab grown in the shape of a heart. Then my daughter was getting 3 stone ring made with lab growns and her side stones were hearts. So I had to change my mind and decided to get 2 smaller lab grown cushions (my sapphire is square cushion). To my amazement and disbelief, yesterday I started considering natural diamonds as sides for my dream ring. Hoping to get 2 fancy colored rounds. Two 3mm lab grown square cushions from Vijay of OurosJewels would cost me $131.40 (10% off and free shipping) only. But now I want 2 in light pink (0.08ct and 2.80mm each, $1,408.00 total). Or 2 champagne colored (0.11ct and 3.00mm each, $264 total). Or 2 in jonquille (vivid yellow?) (0.07ct and 2.70mm each, $1,428 total). Or 2 in baby pink (0.05ct and 2.3mm each, $1,500 total). I found them all on https://www.langerman-diamonds.com/ yesterday but hope to find something less expensive later after doing better research. Since I am quite poor/not rich, I can only afford one piece at a time (champagne colored are affordable but they are my least favorite).

I would like to have natural diamonds in the form of small mele for some of my CS set in halo. I will for sure buy lab grown ones for halo/double halo surrounding my bigger stones. Sine stones bigger than 3.5mm would be lab grown of highest quality and color. Vintage ring with natural 0.3ct OEC is on my wishlist. I wouldn't mind also buying the highest quality big round colorless CZ and having a solitaire made of argentium silver with it. MMDs deserve to be set in gold or platinum in my opinion.

Last edited:

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock

Marketing is everything. Heavily included stones are now being sold as "salt and pepper" diamonds. I think they look lovely but we've been conditioned to think that included stones are worthless.

Nevish

Rough_Rock
I agree with a lot of posters—antique cuts mined, and modern cuts lab grown! Especially now that Rhino is cutting lab MRBs to super idea specs. I have a small (less than .40 ct) Tiffany solitaire on my wishlist though, so that may end up being my only mined MRB.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Marketing is everything. Heavily included stones are now being sold as "salt and pepper" diamonds. I think they look lovely but we've been conditioned to think that included stones are worthless.

Same with champagne diamonds.

Honestly it just reaffirms for me that I need to find things I like and buy based on that, more than what the commercial market standard or ideal is.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Same with champagne diamonds.

Honestly it just reaffirms for me that I need to find things I like and buy based on that, more than what the commercial market standard or ideal is.

Yup. Champagne diamonds, chocolate diamonds, etc.

Leon Mege has an interesting FAQ on MMD: https://leonmege.com/lab-grown-diamonds/

I thought I saw something else on there a few weeks ago saying in sum and substance that people put assign their own values to jewelry. It is hard to tell if he's being sarcastic or not; either way the idea is still true. Diamonds wouldn't cost as much as they do if we didn't let them. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results