shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you know you were an old cut lover?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Do you recall the moment you fell in love with old cuts? I’d love to hear about it.

For me it was a few years ago, in 2018. I found PS as I was looking to upgrade my e-ring. I saw modern cuts and old cuts galore. As I was unfamiliar with old cuts in person, I opted to go with something more familiar… a round brilliant (ACA in fact). I placed the order for one and anxiously waited on its arrival.

But fate stepped in! My husband and I took a trip down to Tampa to see family and there is a store in one of the malls that specializes in vintage and estate pieces. My husband, being the sweetheart he is, asked if I wanted to go. Ummm… yeah, I did! So in we went. There were cases and cases of beautiful rings. In one case was “her”. As soon as I saw her, I knew.

1663510181391.jpeg

1663510094287.jpeg

My husband knew I was beyond smitten! So we bought her… my Lucy. But I was still waiting for my ACA from WF to arrive. What a dilemma. What’s a girl to do? Well, that was a bit of an easy one to solve after all.

A few days later my ACA arrived. I put her on and marveled at her beauty. She truly did sparkle like crazy! I understand why we recommend ACAs on here as much as we do, because they are phenomenal without a doubt. But as I gazed at my ACA, I realized something was missing.

Lucy (an OEC) had those amazing flashes of confetti, so broad and bold, while the ACA gave off millions of glittery splitters. And in that moment, I knew my heart belonged to old cuts. And so back to WF my ACA went, and I have never looked back.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't remember the exact moment, however, it is almost certain to be via PS after seeing an OEC with big flowery facets.

DK :))

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I saw an old cut YEARS before I was engaged, on a recently engaged acquaintance. It was a big diamond but unfortunately it was so poorly cut that it looked like a piece of glass. So I had the very incorrect impression that vintage diamonds were no good. Silly me for making an assumption based on one ring that I saw (this was also before the internet was used for everything). Anyway in 2020 I saw a vintage diamond on Etsy and couldn't stop thinking about it; ended up researching on PS and saw the beauty of old cuts. I got the Etsy ring and the rest is history :)

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
One of my favourite pastimes used to be looking in the windows of antiques shops at the beautiful rings, I had no idea they were different cuts. Fast forward to my engagement ring, hubby got me a MRB and while it was a pretty diamond, it did not feel quite right. When I discovered PS and OECs it all clicked in to place and I’ve not looked back. I’m a vintage lover for most things, so I guess it shouldn’t be a huge surprise that I prefer old cuts!!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Prior to joining PS in 2018 I never really liked diamonds all that much, unless it was a fcd. I had been a gemstone collector since 2003 and focused on colored stones and fcds. I genuinely thought "white" diamonds were really over rated even though I have worn a diamond as an engagement ring over half my life now.

Then one day I made my way to SMTB and saw all the amazing antique cuts that other members had. When I saw the first video of the rainbow glitter they throw I had to have one. It started with antique platinum diamond watches, then I stumbled across my Gilda which was listed for sale by another PS member. I knew she was mine the moment I saw the video under a shade tree! I have worn her everyday since minus a vacation to NOLA and feel naked without her.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first look at an old cut was in 1987.
My grandmother died, and my Mom ended up with some of her jewelry. There was an old ring with a pale yellow cushion shaped diamond with chunky facets. Maybe .50 ct. We were all curious about it, and we knew it was an antique cut.
My Mom immediately had this stone reset into a solitaire at the local jewelers. Then she put it away and I never saw it again. Looking back, it must've been an old mine cut.
Recently I asked her about it, and she has no recollection of this ring. Grrr........

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I was only exposed to antique jewelry, for as long as I can remember. I was an adult when I handled a modern cut diamond. I love diamonds, but I am smitten with Old European cuts and Old Mine cuts. I inherited many antique pieces and I enjoy and wear them every day. I have seen some really beautiful diamonds here on this site. I did not realize all the different facets that come along with some. There is nothing prettier to me than the mellow, soft glow of an old diamond, set in old platinum mountings.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as I joined PS I saw some OEC's and new right away I wanted to get rid of my 3 stone modern cushion ring and get an old cut. Luckily for me my jeweler sourced some old cuts for me and allowed me to trade in the 3 stone. It was within a few weeks of first finding PS. I guess I was looking for some kind of site because I wasn't enthralled with the cushions.......Here's the OEC. Still haven't found a permanent home for her though.
thumbnail.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also didn't like diamonds much till I found omcs after venturing out of the CS section here! That was about a decade ago I think? I am finally giving up my brilliant cut e ring!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I joined PS in 2011 because I was looking for sparkly brilliant diamonds (I couldnt find them in the mall ) . I was looking for the ideal cut diamond . in those days the ideal cut discussions were endless on PS .I did buy ACA , GIA xxx but something was missing for me .
After that old cuts became the trend on PS , everyone started buying them and showing beautiful pics/videos of them . I started too and I was hooked . I realized old cuts almost always sparkle in all lights because of their bigger facets , while brilliant cuts sparkle mostly in bright light . that was what I was looking for . I am interested in history and used to read a lot of historical novels in my teens . I love old things and visiting museums . I love the history & romance behind the old cuts . I tried a (newly cut )old cut AVR , but sold it . after that I sold most of my brilliant cuts , just kept a few .

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I joined PS in 2016 (I think) and it wasn’t until then that I discovered not all round cut diamonds were cut the same. Silly me thought a round diamond was a round diamond, like they had one standard way of cutting them. In the past there were rings I bought that had old cuts but I didn’t know at the time, they were my favorites even then. Of course then getting here and seeing all the old cuts here just did me in. A goner since then lol!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually always knew I wanted a vintage or antique diamond because I thought they sounded more romantic, but I didn't know that they looked all that different than MRBs (stupid, I know!)

PS taught me how to find a beautiful one, though. And that was a few years in the making.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Whilst researching for my ER in 2014/15, I went down the MRB rabbit hole of hearts and arrows, specific CA and PAs etc. PS has so much knowledge and open discussion that I stumbled across it, found it very helpful and whilst going through various forums (but especially SMTB), I saw a few of the OECs from the first half of 2010s - @ForteKitty, @valmanin and @missy spring to mind, but I’m sure there are plenty of others that I haven’t mentioned!

The pastel colours and chunky facets drew me in - as well as the romance of having a stone that was cut 50/100y+ ago. Plus, I wanted something a little different to the MRBs that my friends seemed to be getting :lol:

Now, I hunt for old cut stones - mostly at auctions where it’s as much about the thrill of the chase, not knowing what beauties will pop up and the final sale price… here’s a lovely OMC that I saw recently, 4.3ct approx K SI 1/2

E535EE69-E232-4EE3-9E83-5F52CAD1DAED.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My first love will always be CS. I've always loved history and there is no shortage of fabulous baubles in history. Diamonds were, of course, always part of the suites shown. The endless paintings of them being worn and then pictures of the pieces later. The stories and legends I loved were always connected to old cuts. It also turns out my eye just prefers the patterning. I've never really cared about modern cuts, while I appreciate the sparkle and the precision of the angle, they just leave me somewhat indifferent. A wonky old cut, the more tinted the better, and I get all squirrelly. I have to admire these things from afar, which is the reality for most people. So, I have to be content with my pictures and my wishes. I stay fervently hopeful that one day I'll actually own one and that their popularity and price won't make then unattainable for me.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Whilst researching for my ER in 2014/15, I went down the MRB rabbit hole of hearts and arrows, specific CA and PAs etc. PS has so much knowledge and open discussion that I stumbled across it, found it very helpful and whilst going through various forums (but especially SMTB), I saw a few of the OECs from the first half of 2010s - @ForteKitty, @valmanin and @missy spring to mind, but I’m sure there are plenty of others that I haven’t mentioned!

The pastel colours and chunky facets drew me in - as well as the romance of having a stone that was cut 50/100y+ ago. Plus, I wanted something a little different to the MRBs that my friends seemed to be getting :lol:

Now, I hunt for old cut stones - mostly at auctions where it’s as much about the thrill of the chase, not knowing what beauties will pop up and the final sale price… here’s a lovely OMC that I saw recently, 4.3ct approx K SI 1/2

oooooh she is TDF!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was always an old cut lover from the time I was attracted to pretty things but couldn't verbalize it initially since I didn't know it was an old cut. I just knew it made my heart go flitter flutter. It was my grandmother's ring and that was the beginning of my love affair with all things old cut.

All through my young single years my mom let me wear my grandmother's ring. I am not even sure at that time I knew it was an OEC. I just knew it spoke to me in a way modern jewelry never did.

I found PS (rather, Greg found PS for me when I was looking to reset) and the rest is herstory :)
From that moment on I was able to put words to what I loved and my search for my perfect OEC began.
Greg proposed with an MRB but that was because we never discussed jewelry while dating and honestly if we had I wouldn't have been able to tell him what I wanted. It wasn't until I found (he found) PS for me I was able to figure out what I loved and what it was called.

I went through a few rings in search of my HG OEC but finally found her. It was a long journey but an enjoyable and worthwhile one. And I will never let my HG OEC go. My DH wouldn't let me and truth be told I would regret it because diamonds like her are few and far between.

myHGOEC.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a stunning OMC. :kiss2:

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
For me it was when I joined PS in 2014 when I was looking for an engagement diamond. I don’t remember whose diamond I saw first but I fell hard and fast!

My first diamond was a beautiful around 4 carat O/P. The color didn’t work for me. I ended up with a 2.99 J as my primary engagement ring. I’ve added to the collection. The cluster I purchased pre-loved—I think from @Weecam? I had the center stone, a luscious L, recut to address a chip.

I’ve branched out to auctions and pawn shops coz I love the hunt and a good deal

EA1270DF-416E-44D0-98D6-7E29E99BEC71.jpeg 2185084F-240A-4C48-9604-C715241C1815.jpeg B3285EB1-5E59-428A-9B18-AB6329921D16.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
99A3C868-C85C-4B11-8C23-F60969631295.jpeg 32A936F7-3492-4302-9489-3F183553A11C.jpeg

These two movies shaped love in early years for chunky flashes and puffy crowns.

Antique jewelry stores in Chicago (none where I lived) during teen years taught me they existed for people outside royalty, museums and the Rockefeller/Carnegie families.

eBay in the late 90 was a delight to find old cuts again. Oh I wish I had more spare cash back then.

mtriplee

Rough_Rock
Around 2012, while cleaning out our parents' home to prepare it for sale, my sister and I found a ziplock bag containing some beautiful antique rings in a random junk drawer. Our grandma was a casual collector who had a pretty good eye and picked up some lovely items at estate sales over the years. When she passed away in the 1990s, she left behind some pretty cool stuff. Our mom had no interest in the rings, so my sister and I appropriated a few of them for ourselves.

This classic, platinum three-stone ring is my favorite, and I wear it on my right hand most of the time. It contains the wonkiest OEC that you ever did see--huge table, off center culet, and a miniature flowery center that's way off to the side.

A pawn shop owner told me it was most likely recut from a bigger stone (hence the big table), but this diamond is a great example of why you need to see old cuts in person. It's beautiful--sparkly, colorful, and just perfectly imperfect. I've been hooked on old cuts ever since!

CC7D6B14-D2EB-4FEE-A742-EAC4FB1E237C.jpeg

Attachments

• 77F33F35-55BC-47F7-AE6B-73F3DB24DACB.jpeg
    77F33F35-55BC-47F7-AE6B-73F3DB24DACB.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 82E1D44D-D18A-4CA3-9792-A600B2B6AD6C.jpeg
    82E1D44D-D18A-4CA3-9792-A600B2B6AD6C.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 17

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stumbled upon PS but being the Luddite that I am, didn’t really know how to navigate. I would read the terms old cut and think to myself, what are these people even talking about?!!!
It was not until I attended a conference that I noticed an omc on the finger of my desk neighbor. I could not stop admiring it. And then—the quest began. It was such a thrill to search for these treasures! At some point, I visited Ari from single stone to inquire about recutting my then 1.43 mrb into an oec but hubby was outright opposed. So instead I started shopping at pawn shops. My first purchase was a transitional, .50 that I bought for 300 dollars. Then I found a .90 ish with a chip. The list goes on and on. And the irony is that one of my dear friends had been trying to get me to appreciate old cuts way back when!! She was on to them since 2002 and would ask me to accompany her to my now local estate dealer. I had zero interest in diamonds at the time—I was going thru a divorce—but I recall that her fiancé was opposed to old cuts! He said they were yellow and worthless and no way would he gift her one. She was in love with a particular one which was priced at 3k but he wouldn’t have it. So he got her a .75 Tiffany for 10k instead. They are now divorced. Sigh.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw all these gorgeous OECs and OMCs on PS but it wasn't until I had one of my own a couple years ago that I knew I would never go back to a modern cut diamond. There is just nothing like an old cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results