shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you know he was *The One*?

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, ladies- SPILL! When did you know he was the one for you? :twirl:

(Forgive me. There may have been another topic about this but I thought this would be a fun way to get to know everyone better!)

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
It's really hard for me to pinpoint a time when I knew.

I knew on our first date that there was something really special and really different about him. You could say that something inside told me... brace yourself, woman!

It took a while of us being together, getting to know each other, living together, going on some trips together, seeing each other at our worst, getting in arguments (and realizing how easily we resolve conflict), having some really life-changing moments with his family (like sobbing uncontrollably with his family just a few months after we met about how much we all love each other)... for me to realize that he was the one for me. Once I realized how we just totally and completely 'GET' each other, I knew. I couldn't let him go. <3

lkc84

Rough_Rock
This is going to sound so corny, but I knew as soon as I met him that there was something special about this guy. We met in college and ended up becoming best friends for 2 1/2 years before we actually began dating (he had a crush on me the whole time and never let on!!). The first time we kissed it just felt right, and I felt pretty silly for wasting my time on all the other guys I dated during the time I knew him. And talking about drama with said guys to BF. Haha.

antiquesparkler-- What about you? You can't start a thread and not spill, lol ;-)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, okay! :bigsmile:

I knew SO was the one the first time he met my daughter.

The best part is that we worked together for 3 years and became friends before we cautiously started dating. I knew right away when I met him that he was a great guy but we were nervous about getting involved since we worked together so closely. One night, we all went to a happy hour, I had a few cocktails (oooops! :saint: ), and he stayed after everyone had left so we could chat. We ended up chatting all night…so I took a chance and asked him out. The rest is history.

But the moment I knew I wanted to marry him was 7 months after our first date when I introduced him to my then 3 year old daughter. He was the type that always said he didn’t want children so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. We got ice cream and went to a park and had such a blast. He was so great with her and she just clicked with him. I went to go grab sunscreen or something out of our car and came back and he was pushing her on the swing and talking to her. My heart melted and I knew I wanted to marry him. He was perfect for me and for her.

Now, we live together and the other day we were putting her to bed and she told him she loved him and of course he said it back. It was so sweet. I am tearing up just thinking about it.

Sorry for all the mushy-ness.

:wink2:

lkc84

Rough_Rock
antiquesparkler|1351015236|3290855 said:
Okay, okay! :bigsmile:

I knew SO was the one the first time he met my daughter.

The best part is that we worked together for 3 years and became friends before we cautiously started dating. I knew right away when I met him that he was a great guy but we were nervous about getting involved since we worked together so closely. One night, we all went to a happy hour, I had a few cocktails (oooops! :saint: ), and he stayed after everyone had left so we could chat. We ended up chatting all night…so I took a chance and asked him out. The rest is history.

But the moment I knew I wanted to marry him was 7 months after our first date when I introduced him to my then 3 year old daughter. He was the type that always said he didn’t want children so I really wasn’t sure what to expect. We got ice cream and went to a park and had such a blast. He was so great with her and she just clicked with him. I went to go grab sunscreen or something out of our car and came back and he was pushing her on the swing and talking to her. My heart melted and I knew I wanted to marry him. He was perfect for me and for her.

Now, we live together and the other day we were putting her to bed and she told him she loved him and of course he said it back. It was so sweet. I am tearing up just thinking about it.

Sorry for all the mushy-ness.

:wink2:

That is adorable!! You got a good one!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I really don't know! It was definitely before we made things official - I remember going to buy an iPhone so we could chat more easily (FaceTime + ability to FB chat without being tied to my computer), and getting way too excited talking to the people at the Sprint store. They asked what made me change my mind (my plan before was the absolute basics), and I said, "You know when you meet somebody and your life just clicks into place and you know they're going to be very, very important? That guy made me change my mind." At this point I still hadn't admitted to my friends, him, or even myself how I felt. We made things official pretty soon after that, and when my mom called and asked about him and if things were serious, I started to ramble on and she cut me off and said, "You'll know with no telling?" (a line from a series we both read about how you know when you've found The One) and I just said, "Yep."

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe in "The One" or soul mates. I knew I could live with him, and that he could be a good partner in my life within a few dates, after talking about our plans. Our plans had a good fit for each other. However, I still wasn't woo-ed by him completely yet. After a few months, I caved in and liked him a lot more.

But then again, I could have a good fit with anyone who:
- is financially stable, and ambitious enough to stay that way for life. I have been dirt poor my whole life, and have gone without meals. It is crucial to me that we are never poor, and that our children will always have full tummies.
- is smart. It's not the education level that counts, necessarily, but I'm attracted to brilliant people.
- is competitive. I prefer that we compete with each other, to make sure we never lose motivation. We both want to be better people, and we motivate each other.
- plans to get married and have kids. This was harder to find a guy to admit to in a few dates, without me being direct.. especially since we were younger.
- is an atheist. I think this was one of my top priorities. I hate religious clash, and I hate people telling me it's okay that I'm religionless in the beginning, and then they try to sway me down the road. I don't try to sway the religious to become atheists?! SO doesn't believe in organized religions, so I guess that's close enough. He still believes in a higher power. I just can't see myself with anyone who believes I will go to hell one day. I feel insulted at the idea.
- is strongly against cheating or lying. There should be no excuses, no "oopsies", no temptations. I hate lies.
- is family oriented. I lack a functional family. I want one. Not a complete deal breaker, but a preference.

Lots of guys could be my "One". Life threw my SO at me. He believes in soul mates. I have no objections. :bigsmile:

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I'm not currently on the list but I knew that he was the one I wanted when I realized I wanted/needed to do right by him. For most of my life I have been an angry person. I was prone to getting so angry that I couldn't even remember what is being said and everyone in my family is like that so it was normal for me. He is not like that and he takes nearly everything to heart so I realized that if I did not go into therapy before moving in with him we would be doomed. With the help of my Mom's boyfriend I started counseling and now I have a much better hold on my temper. We just had our three year anniversary and we are going stronger then ever.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1351023232|3290941 said:
I don't believe in "The One" or soul mates. I knew I could live with him, and that he could be a good partner in my life within a few dates, after talking about our plans. Our plans had a good fit for each other. However, I still wasn't woo-ed by him completely yet. After a few months, I caved in and liked him a lot more.

- is financially stable, and ambitious enough to stay that way for life. I have been dirt poor my whole life, and have gone without meals. It is crucial to me that we are never poor, and that our children will always have full tummies.
- is smart. It's not the education level that counts, necessarily, but I'm attracted to brilliant people.
- is competitive. I prefer that we compete with each other, to make sure we never lose motivation. We both want to be better people, and we motivate each other.
- plans to get married and have kids. This was harder to find a guy to admit to in a few dates, without me being direct.. especially since we were younger.
- is an atheist. I think this was one of my top priorities. I hate religious clash, and I hate people telling me it's okay that I'm religionless in the beginning, and then they try to sway me down the road. I don't try to sway the religious to become atheists?! SO doesn't believe in organized religions, so I guess that's close enough. He still believes in a higher power. I just can't see myself with anyone who believes I will go to hell one day. I feel insulted at the idea.
- is strongly against cheating or lying. There should be no excuses, no "oopsies", no temptations. I hate lies.
- is family oriented. I lack a functional family. I want one. Not a complete deal breaker, but a preference.

Lots of guys could be my "One". Life threw my SO at me. He believes in soul mates. I have no objections. :bigsmile:

I like the way you think, Madelise! :)

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure I believe in soulmates or THE one.. but I do think that you have "aha" moments where you have that gut feeling that you could definitely spend the rest of your life with this person. I've had tons of these moments with my SO, but mainly they've been when we've gone through life-changing events together- for example, when my beloved grandmother ("Gaggie") passed, my mom called him instead of me first. He immediately took off work for the rest of the week, made sure he was home so he could tell me himself and I wouldn't be alone when I found out. He was such a solid presence and so THERE for everyone throughout the whole week. I just couldn't have asked for more. He anticipated everything my parents and family might want or need and just did everything without being asked. It may not seem romantic to anyone else, but just the way he fully, selflessly threw himself into the situation makes me tear up, even now! I'm very lucky to have someone that is so good in a crisis, and cares so much for my family and myself in times of need. Because life is full of hard times!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
fabulousfindk|1353439255|3311225 said:
I'm not sure I believe in soulmates or THE one.. but I do think that you have "aha" moments where you have that gut feeling that you could definitely spend the rest of your life with this person. I've had tons of these moments with my SO, but mainly they've been when we've gone through life-changing events together- for example, when my beloved grandmother ("Gaggie") passed, my mom called him instead of me first. He immediately took off work for the rest of the week, made sure he was home so he could tell me himself and I wouldn't be alone when I found out. He was such a solid presence and so THERE for everyone throughout the whole week. I just couldn't have asked for more. He anticipated everything my parents and family might want or need and just did everything without being asked. It may not seem romantic to anyone else, but just the way he fully, selflessly threw himself into the situation makes me tear up, even now! I'm very lucky to have someone that is so good in a crisis, and cares so much for my family and myself in times of need. Because life is full of hard times!

uh I actually find that *very* romantic that he did all that for you so that he could be your rock during a tough time in your life! Your mom was smart to call him first. I think his actions are the very definition of true love, showing that he will be there for you during the hardest times. I definitely relate about just having random "aha" moments throughout the day...nothing huge sets it off, just little things that he does. Glad you found your person! ::)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1353406995|3310845 said:
madelise|1351023232|3290941 said:

I like the way you think, Madelise! :)

LOL! I'm not exactly famous for being lovely and romantic :naughty: Oops? As LIWs, we're supposed to be, right?

audball

Ideal_Rock
I apparently never responded to this before! I don't know how I missed it!

Here's mine:

I knew LONG before I ever met him that someone *just like him* would be perfect for me. When I met him, I was dating someone else but I immediately took notice of him and knew he was special. So special, in fact, that I tried to set him up with my best friend!

Well, they weren't a good fit for each other. Too much alike...lucky me!

He and I started talking (merely as friend) several months before my ex and I broke up. We got to know a lot about each other over that few months. The more I talked to him, the more I liked him. My relationship with my now ex was already heading towards disaster and the more I got to know about Andrew, the more I knew why. My ex couldn't have been a worse match for me. I'd known it for years, but I was in total and complete denial at just how bad it had gotten.

Andrew and I started spending more time together after my breakup and I began liking him more and more. One week in mid July 2011 (right around the time we became "official"), my sisters came to visit, as long as my brother in law, my other sister's boyfriend, and my niece. They all LOVED him. I knew they would. But we were out and about and my niece (about 2 years old at the time) was getting tired. Andrew scooped her up and instead of her being shy, she snuggled into his shoulder and went to sleep. It.was.adorable.

I literally melted on the spot and I swear that is the moment I *knew* that all my feelings about him were true. He was THE ONE. :love:

We have never looked back. He told me he loved me a few short weeks later. Six months into our relationship we started ring shopping. Ring is now in the house and I have a timespan of between December 16th (the day after he graduates) and July 13th (the day before our 2 year anniversary) where we will get engaged. We agreed to wait until after he finished school when we bought the ring. We've had it since May. He originally was supposed to graduate in August, but 2 of the 3 courses he needed for his final term weren't offered over the summer session. So he's taking all three of his final courses this term and graduates in just a few weeks! Here's hoping he doesn't wait long after that...

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
pandabee|1353444219|3311291 said:

uh I actually find that *very* romantic that he did all that for you so that he could be your rock during a tough time in your life! Your mom was smart to call him first. I think his actions are the very definition of true love, showing that he will be there for you during the hardest times. I definitely relate about just having random "aha" moments throughout the day...nothing huge sets it off, just little things that he does. Glad you found your person! ::)

Thanks Pandabee! I feel very lucky :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fabulousfindk|1353520906|3312181 said:
pandabee|1353444219|3311291 said:

Thanks Pandabee! I feel very lucky :)

Ditto Pandabee. I don't even think my SO can handle that much pressure during a sensitive time.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Madelise. I am one of those people who completely falls apart in a crisis. LOL not one of my best qualities. My father fell down the outside stairs at our beach house last summer, and I heard the crash and got to him first, but all I could do was scream for help and flap around aimlessly. SO had a flashlight, a towel for Dad's bleeding head (it was a BAD fall) and was on the phone with 911 before the rest of the family was even aware what was going on.

SO isn't perfect, but he's perfect when it really counts. One of us has to be the practical, cool-headed one! I'm just sorry I've subjected him to so much drama LOL

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
The first moment I saw him smile! :) And then when we reconnected years later I knew I was in trouble when I saw him again and instantly got butterflies and could only think "I always want him in my life"

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I swore I already posted in this, but I guess not.

I knew from the beginning. We had a lot in common, from beliefs to ethics, and so forth. He comes from a strong family upbringing, and loves his mother (VERY important, as the EX referred to his mother as "that woman"). He's sensitive, but not overly. He's both book and street smart. He's hardworking, caring, and affectionate. He makes the bed every morning, does my laundry (on his laundry day), takes out the trash, and oh yes- he fixed my computer last night that wouldn't boot up, and I was hysterical, crying over the thought that all my documents were gone forever.

Every trait I could possibly want in a guy, he possess it.
I was skeptical at first, thinking "Okay, this is a trap. After some time dating him, he'll show his true colors."

Not so. To this day, he's still the same wonderful guy I met two years ago at work. I have to pinch myself sometimes, wondering if this is a dream.

I guess the biggest indicator is when we first started hanging out, and then progressed to dating, he never pushed for sex. He was so patient and respectful. Not like in the past.............

I could go on and on. 8-)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Oooops! Sorry for the duplicate thread! :loopy:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
antiquesparkler|1353633064|3313100 said:

It happens. :wavey: Topics are bound to be repeated as time goes on.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1353791880|3314676 said:
antiquesparkler|1353633064|3313100 said:

It happens. :wavey: Topics are bound to be repeated as time goes on.
True! And it's usually a good thing since we get new waves of ladies that haven't seen/won't find the old topics.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun to read everyone's stories.

I met my DH at my former job. At first we worked together and I thought he was very nice and very funny. I had an office party and invited him and we stayed up talking until 4 am. We started hanging out together more as friends but we were certainly getting more attached to each other. He went for 2 weeks of drill and we both quickly discovered that we couldn't stand to be apart. We were engaged a few months later.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
So, a funny story that I've NEVER told ANYONE-

I met my FI through work, and on the day we met he was very flirty with me and so I playfully gave it right back. I meet a lot of guys through work (I work in a male-dominated field) and they're usually pretty flirty with me, so I really thought nothing of it. Generally it lasts the duration of whatever we're doing that day, then I never hear from or see them again. During our conversations and the flirting that morning, though, I thought to myself "Aww, how cute, this guy thinks he's going to get somewhere with me!" And then, a minute or so later, I thought "How weird would it be if we end up together and I look back on this conversation I'm having with myself in my head?"

Turns out that I DIDN'T hear from him or see him again until 6 months later, but after that the rest is history and we'll be married in just over 2 months!

It's just so weird because during these work exchanges with various guys, I'd NEVER had the thought cross my mind that maybe we'd end up together later. So maybe subconsciously I knew it right away?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1354215401|3318498 said:
So, a funny story that I've NEVER told ANYONE-

I met my FI through work, and on the day we met he was very flirty with me and so I playfully gave it right back. I meet a lot of guys through work (I work in a male-dominated field) and they're usually pretty flirty with me, so I really thought nothing of it. Generally it lasts the duration of whatever we're doing that day, then I never hear from or see them again. During our conversations and the flirting that morning, though, I thought to myself "Aww, how cute, this guy thinks he's going to get somewhere with me!" And then, a minute or so later, I thought "How weird would it be if we end up together and I look back on this conversation I'm having with myself in my head?"

Turns out that I DIDN'T hear from him or see him again until 6 months later, but after that the rest is history and we'll be married in just over 2 months!

It's just so weird because during these work exchanges with various guys, I'd NEVER had the thought cross my mind that maybe we'd end up together later. So maybe subconsciously I knew it right away?

Maybe!!! That is seriously so cute/adorable/awesome. Yay love!!! :appl:

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I knew DH was "the one" when I realized he truly loved ME. Not that we were "in love" not that "I loved him" and not that he just said it, but that I believed he meant it...that's when I knew we were never going to break up. There are a lot of things that he has done and said over the years to make me know this.

I have had so many exes that said they "loved" me, but their actions proved otherwise. They may have loved all the things I did for them or they loved the idea of a relationship with me, but they didn't love ME. They didn't even like being around me that much. In fact I think most of my exes were happy when I broke up with them. I have always been the girl who gave it all and got nothing and decided to end relationships. I don't believe that love is one-sided and every relationship I have ever had before now was one-sided. DH would be devastated if I broke up with him. We are better together than apart. That is why DH is "the one" :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
gem_anemone|1354226007|3318668 said:
I knew DH was "the one" when I realized he truly loved ME. Not that we were "in love" not that "I loved him" and not that he just said it, but that I believed he meant it...that's when I knew we were never going to break up. There are a lot of things that he has done and said over the years to make me know this.

I have had so many exes that said they "loved" me, but their actions proved otherwise. They may have loved all the things I did for them or they loved the idea of a relationship with me, but they didn't love ME. They didn't even like being around me that much. In fact I think most of my exes were happy when I broke up with them. I have always been the girl who gave it all and got nothing and decided to end relationships. I don't believe that love is one-sided and every relationship I have ever had before now was one-sided. DH would be devastated if I broke up with him. We are better together than apart. That is why DH is "the one" :)
So perfectly, awesomely written. Exactly what I'd want to have said without being able to figure out how to. I'm *just* like you gem. I always gave gave gave and it was always one-sided. I never imagined it possible for someone to give more than I do, but Andrew does. He's my person.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it was horrible giving it all for someone who couldn't care less! I'm so happy you and I didn't let our exes discourage us and we were able to find love! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results