shape
carat
color
clarity

When did ovals become so popular?

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
“AGS Ideal Cut Elyque Ovals” irl perform equally to a RB, in some cases, better, it’s all personal preference

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, there are Ex Ovals, Rhino at August Vintage makes them, take a look at this video. No bow ties.

but that’s the thing.... that is a term he uses to describe them. They are not graded that way because it isn’t a grading parameter. You and many others consider them excellent but not everyone

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are not graded that way because it isn’t a grading parameter.
Exactly!!
There's a specific term "Excellent Cut Grade"
To a gemologist or educated consumer, the term is a GIA specific one.
AGSL uses the term "Ideal"
Of course, many sellers use both/ either term with no second thought- but this is a place where the correct terminology really matters.
Then the issue of "bow ties"
Many ovals do not have bow ties.
There are Oval Brilliant Diamonds that have different light performance ( larger facets) in the middle of the stone causing larger flashes of light emanating from the center of the diamond, as compared to the tips.
IN some cases, this effect can be absolutely gorgeous. In bad cases, the center is static dark, resembling a "bow tie".
So- there's many super well cut ovals that don't have bow ties- or others that use the look effectively.
But NONE of them are "EX" cut grade. Because it does not exist.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
but that’s the thing.... that is a term he uses to describe them. They are not graded that way because it isn’t a grading parameter. You and many others consider them excellent but not everyone

Sorry if I misspoke, guess I have a lot more to learn, hope I can do that here.
Thank you

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Exactly!!
There's a specific term "Excellent Cut Grade"
To a gemologist or educated consumer, the term is a GIA specific one.
AGSL uses the term "Ideal"
Of course, many sellers use both/ either term with no second thought- but this is a place where the correct terminology really matters.
Then the issue of "bow ties"
Many ovals do not have bow ties.
There are Oval Brilliant Diamonds that have different light performance ( larger facets) in the middle of the stone causing larger flashes of light emanating from the center of the diamond, as compared to the tips.
IN some cases, this effect can be absolutely gorgeous. In bad cases, the center is static dark, resembling a "bow tie".
So- there's many super well cut ovals that don't have bow ties- or others that use the look effectively.
But NONE of them are "EX" cut grade. Because it does not exist.

WOW, sorry I used the wrong terminology.
And yes I’m not an educated “diamond” consumer, isn’t that what this site is for, for us consumers to learn?
So, is it safe to say, since the Elyque’s are AGSL graded, not GIA, that the Elyque’s Cut Grade is AGS Ideal, not Excellent Cut Grade because that term is used for GIA, correct? There is no “EX” cut grade for Ovals, just super well cut ovals or AGS Ideal

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry to have jumped on your post Sunshine! I'm a bit sensitive to how diamonds are described.
I'm sure Jon uses the correct terminology.
Yes, AGSL "Ideal" is the correct word to use.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary, but I can't wrap my brain around anyone caring, and copying, what some so-called celebrity wears.
Does that make them feel superior to regular people who are less "cool" or whatever today's term is?

How bout just wearing whatever you like?
Do you think you matter less than some famous person?
You don't.

I don't think it's so much that people care that the celebrity has it as that celebrities more often than most people pick things that are different than the norm, and then people see them and find out about things they may not have known about, and sometimes like them. When my brother was shopping for an engagement ring for my SIL, she said she wanted one like Blake Lively's ring, which to me meant "big light pink oval on skinny rose gold pave band" but actually what she meant was just that she wanted a round brilliant rose gold solitaire, because nothing about Blake Lively's ring had registered to her but that she hadn't seen an engagement ring in rose gold before and really liked that a lot more than white or yellow for her skin tone (true - rose gold looks great on her). A lot of people may be seeing ovals on celebrities and liking how the elongated shape looks, having only seen rounds or princesses in person. We certainly know that the mall jewelry stores most people go to don't exactly have the most interesting selections to browse. So I think it's not really copying celebrities because they are celebrities, but copying them because the celebrity has something they haven't seen before and like more than what they can commonly see.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, sorry I used the wrong terminology.
And yes I’m not an educated “diamond” consumer, isn’t that what this site is for, for us consumers to learn?

It comes across as a bit offputting when you lecture people who have known for ages about Elyque ovals about them as if we don't know, and the person you were specifically replying to is actually a diamond seller who knows a lot about fancy shapes and who, like Jonathan who designed the Elyque oval, has a very good eye for them. Read the room.

Ovals have a variety of different faceting patterns - just like rounds do. You wouldn't judge an OEC by the same standards you judge a round brilliant by, or a round rose cut by the same standards of either, or a jubilee cut by the standards for any of the above. Likewise, ovals have different faceting patterns, and you can't really compare them to each other because each person may like a different kind. An Elyque oval isn't necessarily better than a crushed-ice style oval or a standard oval - it has an entirely different faceting pattern so it depends on which style a person likes. While most on this forum prefer broader facets in general, and thus RB-style faceting over standard ovals or crushed ice, and antique-style faceting above that, in real life I know a TON of people who prefer the style of faceting with tons of little sparkles, and who think it's silly to go for bigger, broader facets, and who would really dislike the Elyque. There are non-Elyque ovals that don't have bow ties, and there are ovals with different faceting patterns across the middle that don't affect them negatively. While GIA doesn't cut grade ovals and many of these wouldn't get an AGS ideal due to the way AGS cut grading is set up - that doesn't mean there aren't excellent examples of different styles of ovals. They're just harder to judge because they don't have an authority coming down from on high to tell you they are excellent.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to have jumped on your post Sunshine! I'm a bit sensitive to how diamonds are described.
I'm sure Jon uses the correct terminology.
Yes, AGSL "Ideal" is the correct word to use.

Thank you for jumping on and setting me straight, I’m in elementary school just wanting to learn. Happy New Year

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results