shape
carat
color
clarity

When did ovals become so popular?

elwkis86

Rough_Rock
Hi all—
Was on PS years ago, went away for a decade, and seems like styles have really changed since then. Most of the younger people that I see around work/city etc, are wearing oval rings now... What’d I miss? When did this become a thing, lol? I know nothing about them, but assume they don’t perform like round brilliants...

Reactions: AV_

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
They don’t preform like round brilliants but not everyone wants a round solitaire that looks like the same ring their friend and their friend’s friend all have. I upgraded my E ring to to oval with a non traditional marquise cluster halo because I’ve never seen anything like it before and I’m not likely to see it on the finger of my neighbor anytime soon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I’d agree with the assessment that ovals have “blown up”
However, people want size and they look larger and cost less than their round counterparts.
plus, many celebs have gotten ovals.
things fall in and out of vogue.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Back in 2012 everybody fell in love with Blake Lively 's ring from Ryan Reynolds...

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Blake Lively
Blake-Lively-Engagement_Ring.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is definitely the case and I have no idea why. Ovals are really in and I have been asking the same question. There are few good ones on the market and a relatively large number of clients have been asking for them. As a result prices have gone up too.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Jerry Hall Murdoch
Rupert-Murdoch-and-Jerry-Hall 1.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Other young celebrities who chose oval e-rings:

Julianne Hough
julianne hough.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hailey Bieber
hailey bieber.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think pears, marquises, and radiants are also on the upswing. I’ve seen quite a few of those irl. They’ve been “out” long enough so that they look fresh now.

I also think it’s part of the same trend that sees a lot of people with colored gem engagement rings or moissanite - just in general more individuality.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 2.05 D-VS2 oval that I traded in for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear in 1996.

Now I don't wear the pear much and prefer to wear my HPD/CBI rings. They are all smaller than my pear but so much more beautiful imo.

Reactions: AV_

elwkis86

Rough_Rock
interesting responses all, appreciate it. There have been five 20something girls in my office that have been engaged over the past 2 years, and all have ovals...

Interesting I haven’t seen a princess cut in ages either... I guess the answer is just trends...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my jewelers has been posting ovals on IG like daily for the past 2 years or so.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Several high-profile celebrities (Blake Lively, Hailey Bieber) have massive ovals. Those sparked trends in all those “what engagement ring styles are popular right now?” type of articles. Probably the same way we saw a ton of Diana inspired rings and then Kate inspired rings. I would love to see a resurgence in target rings if people really notice Hoda Kotb’s. :kiss2:

Leigh_

Rough_Rock
I really like fancy shapes. My original engagement ring was an oval. I didn’t want a round solitaire - it seemed “boring” to me. I can’t think of any friends of mine who have gotten engaged who chose a round diamond. I think my generation leans more towards things that feel individual, or more fresh and less traditional.

i do see a lot of princess cuts in white metal where I live, so I imagine some of the trends you’re seeing have to do with where you are.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We have seen an uptick in inquiries for Ovals lately, but rounds are still the most popular by-far. Halos continue to hold a strong preference in settings as well.

JohnnyAngel

Rough_Rock
I have noticed it and I really don’t get it. Ovals are definitely my least favorite of the common shapes. I mean, I’d take one if it were free, but it would be my last choice.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't think I'd ever get an oval but one came up that I couldn't say no to. And yes, I love that it looks massive, especially as I set mine east/west. It's like having the length and spread of a marquise but a rounded look.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary, but I can't wrap my brain around anyone caring, and copying, what some so-called celebrity wears.
Does that make them feel superior to regular people who are less "cool" or whatever today's term is?

How bout just wearing whatever you like?
Do you think you matter less than some famous person?
You don't.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two words: Blake Lively

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s definitely cyclical. Back in the ‘80’s ovals were dead and Marquise was the hot shape. So we started to see the cutters adding little points to the ends of what should have been ovals creating fat little “marq-ovals”. There’s little doubt in my mind that celebrities affect demand- because many people have sent us pics that have been posted in this thread asking is to recreate these oval rings

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Looking at celebrities' rings, some people want to emulate, but most people simply discover that the beauty of diamonds comes in many different shapes.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
It is all cyclical. Late 90s everyone I knew had a princess cut. At least the ovals face up larger and you don't have to worry about broken tips.

Laughing at @Rockdiamond "fat little marq-oval"

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Princess cut???
What's that???? LOL!!!!

I have to add- because I'll never "get over it" when people use the term "performance" regarding a diamond....This is nothing against any members using the term- because it's misused here constantly.
For someone looking for an oval, no round brilliant, no matter how "super ideal" will "out perform" an oval that they prefer.
The performance of diamonds is in the eye of the beholder. Period.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
[QUOTE="Rockdiamond, post: 4659470
The performance of diamonds is in the eye of the beholder. Period.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you!
Some people remind me of the novel "The Emperor's new clothes" by Andersen: they convince themselves of seeing something non existant...if you know what I mean, charts and numbers repeated as a mantra...denying what the eyes actually see.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I came to post what doberman posted: Blake Lively. LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy shapes come and go but RBs will always be in style.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
My only experience with ovals was a diamond band that wasn' t very sparkling although stones being f/vvs/ex cut 30 points each.
I'd love to see an opulence oval by Jonathan Weingarten with my own eyes.
I own only round brilliant and carré diamonds, but I must confess I' love to get other fancy shapes.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My only experience with ovals was a diamond band that wasn' t very sparkling although stones being f/vvs/ex cut 30 points each.

Red flag alert:)
1) there are no "Ex cut" ovals ( if we're using the term to indicate a GIA cut grade)
2) based on number one, it's likely that you were shown stones that hadn't been graded by GIA

Neither of these means the stones are "bad" for these reasons- but the person representing the stones this way clearly wasn't being accurate in their terminology.
We hear of so many consumers experiencing such misrepresentations- it's quite common- no reflection on you @purplesilk !!

In terms of "branded" fancy shapes.....
Personally I prefer to see what cutters can do when there are no boundaries. I've seen so many different sorts of amazing oval diamonds.....many looking totally different than others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results