shape
carat
color
clarity

when diamond modesty ends and ya gotta go bigger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2006 11:57:19 PM
Author: marriahlyn
I know, I can start selling my spoiled 7yo dd''s toys ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, creative minds will find a way!!!! (I first started talking about resetting my original rings and my husband was sort of sentimental about them, and to make a long story short, I am keeping them but getting a new set! I''ll still wear my first set occasionally. Maybe you can work it out that way!)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 1:44:40 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 7/15/2006 11:57:19 PM
I know, I can start selling my spoiled 7yo dd''s toys ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, creative minds will find a way!!!! (I first started talking about resetting my original rings and my husband was sort of sentimental about them, and to make a long story short, I am keeping them but getting a new set! I''ll still wear my first set occasionally. Maybe you can work it out that way!)
I got married with my great grandmother''s band and she always wore it on her right hand because of a childhood burn. I got a 1/2 carat anniversary band for our 2nd that looks great with it, but no solitaire. I thought I wanted to get something with those two rings, but I don''t like the way channel cut bands fit, they dig in and I don''t like them (mind you this was 13 years ago). So now I''m going to move those to the right hand and just get one ring for my left. The only thing that bugs me is that my originals are yellow... so I''ll have a hand of each LOL

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker, my dh is a banker and investor. trying him to get to spend money on a diamond is not really an option. i might get him to design a neat east/west oval setting for a RHR someday but it will be small and well below our means. he just doesn''t understand.

it''s funny about modesty. my mother was in high school and pregnant when she got married. they got cheap bands and at the 5 year mark my father finally bought her an engagement ring. it''s about .10 chip in an illusion setting and she''s fine with it. she loves tiffany and my dad has been ready to purchase a platinum tiffany diamond but she won''t have it. the "chip" represents a major time in her life and she won''t part with it. she doesn''t care for jewelry either and she thinks my 1ct is nuts. my dad started a company many years ago and has the means to buy her whatever and i mean whatever size diamond she wants but she won''t have it. i love her for her simplicity but i would go for the upgrade. i am also going to help my dad buy her a .50ct or under (because she wouldn''t wear anything bigger point blank) because i know she''d love it and has all other jewelry she wants.

funny thing is that her skin sheds more than others and she NEVER cleans her jewelry. about every month i make her take anything off and clean the heck out of her jewelry. when she asked me what i wanted for my bday, i had her order a professional small ultrasonic from ottofrei.com. what she doesn''t know is her jewelry will be the first to go into it LOL. My jewelry is ALWAYS clean, but I will dip mine too!!

different strokes for different folks. i love bigger diamonds and would love to have an account for upgrades, but dh isn''t showy (although we have the money) and thinks 1ct is fine for me.

blabbing, son''s 1st bday party is today, gotta frost his cake and go get the boat out for the kiddos. will check back tonight when i''m about to collapse from exhaustion.

congrats on your new diamond it''s beautiful, my post was to explain, i understand about diamond modesty. a lot of it is no interest.......i just can''t fathom not having an interest in diamonds especially when i could afford big ones. i can''t get my mom to come around and she could care less about the value of my rings although she loves my dh LOL

have a good day, i''m gonna cook outside!!!

Jaime

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaime,

I can totally relate! dbgaap was teasing about me in her initial post! I have a 1 ct. which I have had for 29 years and have been looking for a diamond for our next anniversary. I was trying to stay under 1.5 cts. because I felt like larger than that was just too showy, even though we could afford it. But somehow I saw this 1.63 and ordered it along with a 1.37, and the crazy girls here convinced me to go with the larger stone! Then my own mother emails me that I should really consider a 2 ct. as long as I'm upgrading! Lol! However, I would feel uncomfortable with a stone that size and I do not wish to spend that much money either.

Anyway, I think it is sweet you are helping your dad buy a new diamond ring for your mother! She'll love it! My dad would have never bought my mother any jewelry had we girls not done the shopping!

ETA: and dbgaap was with me through my decision-making and at that time she had gotten an upgrade and was still within her return/exchange period and she caught the larger stone bug and is getting one the same size as mine!!!
9.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 1:59:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

I got married with my great grandmother''s band and she always wore it on her right hand because of a childhood burn. I got a 1/2 carat anniversary band for our 2nd that looks great with it, but no solitaire. I thought I wanted to get something with those two rings, but I don''t like the way channel cut bands fit, they dig in and I don''t like them (mind you this was 13 years ago). So now I''m going to move those to the right hand and just get one ring for my left. The only thing that bugs me is that my originals are yellow... so I''ll have a hand of each LOL

I''m in the same boat, mixing metal colors. My wedding bands & e-ring are yellow but on the rest of me, I wear platinum, white gold and silver (and rose gold as soon as I get some!!)

I like the look of mixing things. And I really like the look of a plain band with an anniversary band. I often wear my plain gold band with my ruby & diamond band and I think it has a nice look, so I like th idea of those rings on your right hand! Not to mention they are sentimental.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, ma''am that diamond is quite a size increase! Can''t wait to see it mounted and on your hand. You sound so thrilled with it - I am delighted for you!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Jaime, I know exactly what you are talking about.
And it''s hard to give advice on persuading a husband, after all, it''s never a worthy goal to actually manipulate a loved one!

Having said that, my DH is very conservative and sentimental in many ways, and I have my own sentimental streak. If it had been up to me, we would have skipped the engagement ring entirely and gotten married with matching wedding bands. I was willing to get one band and never change it and I still feel that way about my wedding band.
But I also KNEW I had a diamond lust inside of me and I knew I would want something REALLY nice. I just didn''t want to get stuck with something "sentimental" that would "represent" that "special moment" that we got engaged- and never be able to change it.
I wanted to wait and get something nice when we were more settled and had our finances clarified. To compromise, we did get an e-ring and I did all the shopping for the stone and made sure there was an upgrade policy and I downplayed all the hoo-haa about getting engaged. For example, I told him, "No Surprise Proposal Scenes!" and "We should SHOP TOGETHER for the ring".

I can''t say that I consciously knew all this at the time, but I can look back and see it clearly, now.

So here is an idea, one of the things I did was find out "what would DH really like to have but maybe feels uncomfortable spending $$ on for himself?" Then I insisted that we do it. He got a nice watch. It''s got to be something that makes him feel pampered & spoiled. It could have been a guitar or a motorcycle or a boat .... Then maybe he''ll get a glimpse of how you feel about diamonds. Everyone likes that feeling, right?

What''s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Good luck Jaime! Keep being a good wife and a good mom and show your hubby you love him. That''s the best path to getting what you want !!!

2.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 10:02:52 AM
Author: MissGotRocks
Yes, ma''am that diamond is quite a size increase! Can''t wait to see it mounted and on your hand. You sound so thrilled with it - I am delighted for you!

I am thrilled with it!!

When I picked it up yesterday, I saw the details on the order. They have ordered a head in the 1.75 ct size. I guess the diameter is pretty spready. I would have guessed a 1.5 head. But I trust them. Cuz after all, if it looks like crap, I''ll make ''em re-do it!

I''ll should be overloaded by the next GTG.
I should have my aquamarine done by then and my sapphire legacy done, too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you let us know all this - we''ll need double sunglasses to protect from all the bling! You''ll be standing in a pool of light like an angel - we''ll all know it''s dgaap!

Can''t wait to see all the new pretties!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
LOL
uh, PS Admin is you are there?
Could you please delete that ginormous photo?
Thank you very much,
dbgaap

20.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
OK, every time I use Photoshp or Paint I am trying something new. It is definitely flexible software that I am still attempting to learn.
Her''s another try:

dbgaap07162006_11.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Funny how the diamond looks like it is floating. It is so lively- I guess it is the fluorescence? not sure!

dbgaap07162006_2.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
flowers flowers everywhere

dbgaap07162006_33.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
and, how about a flower?

dbgaap07162006_4.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 9:12:54 AM
diamondseeker, my dh is a banker and investor. trying him to get to spend money on a diamond is not really an option. i might get him to design a neat east/west oval setting for a RHR someday but it will be small and well below our means. he just doesn''t understand.
Ugh - this is my husband too! Of course he has known this time was coming so he''s had over 15 years to prepare! lol!! My dh is an engineer but he''s getting his masters in business and has always been $ savvy - which is great, but he sees diamonds in general as overpriced clear pebbles... he''s trying VERY hard not to let that cloud this experience for me though :) I know I pretty much have one shot at this... so I want to be sure I do it right. Thank GOD I found PS! I might buy *myself* a RHR someday... but I can''t even think about that now.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
and, well, it was a flower photoshoot...

dbgaap07162006_5.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s funny about modesty. my mother was in high school and pregnant when she got married. they got cheap bands and at the 5 year mark my father finally bought her an engagement ring. it''s about .10 chip in an illusion setting and she''s fine with it. she loves tiffany and my dad has been ready to purchase a platinum tiffany diamond but she won''t have it. the ''chip'' represents a major time in her life and she won''t part with it.
My first disappointment in marriage was when my hub didn''t get me an engagement ring even though I said he couldn''t afford what I wanted... I secretly hoped he would surprise me with something, anything... and all these years I would have had that moment in time. Now I know I have to be direct with the blockhead or he doesn''t get it LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

it''s funny about modesty. my mother was in high school and pregnant when she got married. they got cheap bands and at the 5 year mark my father finally bought her an engagement ring. it''s about .10 chip in an illusion setting and she''s fine with it. she loves tiffany and my dad has been ready to purchase a platinum tiffany diamond but she won''t have it. the ''chip'' represents a major time in her life and she won''t part with it. she doesn''t care for jewelry either and she thinks my 1ct is nuts. my dad started a company many years ago and has the means to buy her whatever and i mean whatever size diamond she wants but she won''t have it. i love her for her simplicity but i would go for the upgrade. i am also going to help my dad buy her a .50ct or under (because she wouldn''t wear anything bigger point blank) because i know she''d love it and has all other jewelry she wants.
If he gives it from his heart, she will have a new ring to represent THIS special moment in time :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 9:52:22 AM
Author: dbgaap

Date: 7/16/2006 1:59:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

I''m in the same boat, mixing metal colors. My wedding bands & e-ring are yellow but on the rest of me, I wear platinum, white gold and silver (and rose gold as soon as I get some!!)

I like the look of mixing things. And I really like the look of a plain band with an anniversary band. I often wear my plain gold band with my ruby & diamond band and I think it has a nice look, so I like th idea of those rings on your right hand! Not to mention they are sentimental.
:) I''m glad the fashion phase of one metal color only is over! I might even wear my white metal ring with my yellow gold band - who knows! lol! Since my band is 85 years old it isn''t the color of regular yellow gold. It is *slightly* pinker, but a far cry from rose gold. You can''t tell when I wear my anniversary band with the wedding band, but if I turn my hand over you can see the difference in color.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Dbgaap your diamond is just incredible and I love the new pictures and your new avatar! How exciting for you!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you sundial! I am pretty jazzed up- it is really pretty!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 10:16:51 AM
Jaime, I know exactly what you are talking about.
And it''s hard to give advice on persuading a husband, after all, it''s never a worthy goal to actually manipulate a loved one!

Having said that, my DH is very conservative and sentimental in many ways, and I have my own sentimental streak. If it had been up to me, we would have skipped the engagement ring entirely and gotten married with matching wedding bands. I was willing to get one band and never change it and I still feel that way about my wedding band.
But I also KNEW I had a diamond lust inside of me and I knew I would want something REALLY nice. I just didn''t want to get stuck with something ''sentimental'' that would ''represent'' that ''special moment'' that we got engaged- and never be able to change it.
I wanted to wait and get something nice when we were more settled and had our finances clarified. To compromise, we did get an e-ring and I did all the shopping for the stone and made sure there was an upgrade policy and I downplayed all the hoo-haa about getting engaged. For example, I told him, ''No Surprise Proposal Scenes!'' and ''We should SHOP TOGETHER for the ring''.
We are kind of shopping together... (I did what you wanted to do lol) but mostly *I* am shopping and he''s along for the ride LOL I did tell him that I wouldn''t accept the ring without a bended knee profession of his continued undying love for me though... ::giggle:: And based on how my search has gone thus far, I imagine he will have plenty of time to think of what to say...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 6:50:29 PM
Funny how the diamond looks like it is floating. It is so lively- I guess it is the fluorescence? not sure!
I LOVE this picture on the pink flower!!! gorgeous!!!!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 6:55:51 PM
and, well, it was a flower photoshoot...
Oooooh this one with it in the center of the yellow chry. is just beautiful too!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow!!! Congrats on your upgrade! It''s gorgeous and I love all the pictures. Can''t wait for pics of the completed ring!!!! When will it be ready??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am jealous now. You got flowers!!! I am so sad I don''t have flower shots with my bare stone!
8.gif

Seriously, the pictures are great! The stone looks great! I''m a little worried about my color seeing your E.
23.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 9:06:38 PM
Okay, I am jealous now. You got flowers!!! I am so sad I don''t have flower shots with my bare stone!
8.gif

Seriously, the pictures are great! The stone looks great! I''m a little worried about my color seeing your E.
23.gif

Thank you!! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR STONE !!!!
20.gif

jeez whizzo, I go out and get a big diamond, just to make you feel better,
31.gif
and now you''re doubting your stone
32.gif
, which is prolly superior to mine anyway !!! I mean it is like a perfect cut !
41.gif
2.gif

hey by the way, i found out you can get a macro lens for the canon a510:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HQ55/ref=pd_rvi_gw_2/104-9507480-5091127?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=502394

I sorta decided not to get a new camera until I learn how to use the one I have .....
41.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 8:31:29 PM
Author: Demelza
Oh wow!!! Congrats on your upgrade! It''s gorgeous and I love all the pictures. Can''t wait for pics of the completed ring!!!! When will it be ready??

oooh thank you!!

Tomorrow I will return it to the jewlers. They ordered a new head from Stuller and it will be ready for me on Thursday. It will use the same simple gold shank.

I guess I do have a bit of a plan going here, which is to eventually have a 3-stone.
I just wasn''t sure if the 1.20 was quite big enough for the center, so .. hence the 1.59.

In another year or so, I''ll be looking to get some side stones. The ring that inspired this project had a .50 round on each side.

For a while I will definitelty enjoy wearing it as a solitaire!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''ll try not to let those doubts creep in.
23.gif

That''s interesting about the lens, but I''m not 100% sure you even need that with the macro that is already on the camera. One thing that I wasn''t even doing was using the zoom. And I was able to crop and enlarge just the stone.

I am undecided about whether to buy that little SD600 or whether to go cheap and just get an A530 or 540. The A510 I was using is my daughter''s, so I really do have to get my own.

This diamond buying can get expensive..diamond, setting, camera, ultrasonic......

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 10:40:41 PM
Okay, I'll try not to let those doubts creep in.
23.gif

That's interesting about the lens, but I'm not 100% sure you even need that with the macro that is already on the camera. One thing that I wasn't even doing was using the zoom. And I was able to crop and enlarge just the stone.

I am undecided about whether to buy that little SD600 or whether to go cheap and just get an A530 or 540. The A510 I was using is my daughter's, so I really do have to get my own.

This diamond buying can get expensive..diamond, setting, camera, ultrasonic......

Ah yes and she will be taking it back to college with her in another month?

My A510 is actually mine so it did seem a little silly to run right out and buy another one. I didn't have much preference when I got it- I just asked DH to pick it out. I think it's good enough for me.

and the setting- I must say I am quite pleased with the Stuller. It is relatively inexpensive but nice and substantial. I am definitely OK with it for the indefinite future.

ultrasonic - yep. gotta have it.

I know, the diamond thing is really expensive. But ... I don't really spend much on other things, so it's not really so bad. Just think of what you can spend on other hobbies, like horseback riding, boating, etc. I know a guy who has 14 guitars and some of them were $2k, $3k, $4k.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results