shape
carat
color
clarity

when diamond modesty ends and ya gotta go bigger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I was already planning a shopping trip this evening when another pricescoper with size insecurities (or maybe just diamond modesty
2.gif
) sorta challenged me to take the leap. I''m not saying who it is or anything, but all I can say is I''m not getting a diamond as big as hers! I draw the line at 1.59 !!!
16.gif

I have been thinking about this & shopping a bit and this evening I found something that looks very promising.
It is an E with medium flouresence, 1.59 ct, 7.66 mm diameter, SI2 with twining wips that disappear into the stone.
It didn''t just sing to me, it hollered, "hey, take me home with you!!"
Here is what the HCA looks like-

HCA on 1.59 RB.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another convert! You have crossed over to the dark realm now, congrats!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
LOL !!
hubby wonders how a computer can make me sit here and chuckle....
y''all are funny!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is bad, but it is like having a whole other life in here! It''s hard going back to the real world sometimes!

By the way, my new diamond is 7.6mm, so the one you''re looking at is a tiny bit bigger in diameter! Haha!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo DBG!!!!
36.gif

You just can't fight the PS upgrade urge. No one is immune!
3.gif
Your new stone looks awesome and you totally deserve it. I can't wait to see it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HMMMM... I wonder who it might be, that triggered this????

LMAO. And yours is going to have a larger mm diameter size than hers... THAT''S funny. Congrats!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Lol!

Wait till Mara gets into your head and convinces u to go over to the dark side
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe...so DS is only hours into her upgrade and already a bad influence
9.gif

congrats dbgaap, an E with blue fluor...YUMMY
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol we are the dark side...all of us, not JUST me missy!!!
9.gif

dg...which vendor has that stone? it doesn''t really have specs that i adore...and i don''t like the two VG''s in the middle..but it sure is spready, are you looking for size or exceptional cut??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, good for you!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 11:54:50 PM
Author: Mara
9.gif

31.gif
Yes yes we are the dark side when it comes to being size whores, but I''m talking about your voice in my head convincing me to go lower in color
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 12:36:12 AM
Author: JadeLeaves

9.gif

31.gif
Yes yes we are the dark side when it comes to being size whores, but I''m talking about your voice in my head convincing me to go lower in color
9.gif
hey i''m not responsible for what my voice does in other people''s heads!!
5.gif
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wot's diamond modesty????
6.gif
Never heard of it! So we have another diamondseeker do we??
41.gif

Congrats Dbgaap!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif

dg...which vendor has that stone? it doesn''t really have specs that i adore...and i don''t like the two VG''s in the middle..but it sure is spready, are you looking for size or exceptional cut??

I am looking for beauty and size. I started with AGS0 only and looked at a variety of color & clarity combinations. I thought I might end up with an I, to get the size.

Then when I had picked out my favorite stone from the AGS pile, I had her bring out some lesser cuts.
I had her mix them up and let me pick the prettiest stone.
IMMEDIATELY I found one that grabbed my attention.

It has this way of looking bright from edge to edge and sparkly from every angle. The other thing about it, is when I spin it around, I get big chunky flashes of light that look like slices of pie. The other (better cut) stones were more sparkly overall and there were more twinkles & flashes coming out from inside the little ball of fire. I hope this makes sense.

I just fell for the piece of pie chunky sparkles, and the colors. It''s just brighter overall- maybe I am really influenced by color and flouresence.
It turned out to be a GIA and, with the stores grading system, it is a "2".

They have some way they rank stones from 0 - 10, with 0 being the best.

I have learned a lot about numbers here so I was surprised that I''d like such a big table.
But, it was by far the liveliest sotne there. Everything came together in this stone to be really pretty to my eyes, and within my budget.

Oh - the vendor is the B&M where I have a generous trade-up policy. If I ever found a decent consignment situation, I''d consider selling my stone and buying outright from an internet vendor, but this B&M has always come through for me so far.
The store is Smyth in Timonium MD and I have only recently seen them start to have an internet presence.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 11:07:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
It is bad, but it is like having a whole other life in here! It''s hard going back to the real world sometimes!

By the way, my new diamond is 7.6mm, so the one you''re looking at is a tiny bit bigger in diameter! Haha!

23.gif
23.gif

Oh no, my diamond is TOO BIG!!!!

31.gif
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
9.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 3:59:16 AM
Author: Lorelei
Wot''s diamond modesty????
6.gif
Never heard of it! So we have another diamondseeker do we??
41.gif

Congrats Dbgaap!

Diamond modesty! I made it up!!

When I was growing up, it was ingrained in me that "conspicuous consumption" is something only tacky insecure people are prone to.

Having the biggest and the best is just .. well.. TACKY!

Honestly, that''s a bunch of nonsense! My own mother, who drilled that into me, compliments my jewelry every time I see her and she has repeatedly told me how happy she is that I am happily married, daughter growing up well and happy with my career.

Maybe back then she felt tired of frugality and it was a little bit of sour grapes or something.
whatever!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 11:21:45 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Woohoo DBG!!!!
36.gif

you totally deserve it. I can''t wait to see it!

Thanks.... it helps to hear that!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 11:24:49 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
Lol!

Wait till Mara gets into your head and convinces u to go over to the dark side
31.gif

Oh believe me, I was looking at those H's and I's ...
and it is true, the lower colors do face up durn pretty!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
db, that is sooooo fabulous that your were able to see a few stones together! My old diamond has a large table and it is so bright and white! I love that about it! When I ordered the diamond with the 54 table, it just seemed too dark in certain lighting. So I started searching for ideal cuts in the larger table sizes. The one I got is 56.7. So I understand exactly what you mean. You were just lucky to be able to examine several while I could only compare two. But honestly, I would have never been able to come to a decision had I not been able to compare two or more. Your eyes need to be able to choose what they like best! Honestly, I envy you possibly having an E to choose! I talked with Jon yesterday about going to an F stone. But in the end, he didn''t feel that it was worth it for me to pay $4000 more for a stone one color grade higher (technically) and it was a 1.5. I respect him so much for that! But I''d love it if we were diamond twins! That would be sooo great! And I think the stone sounds wonderful! Anything that falls in the 1-2 HCA range has got to be beautiful, I am convinced! We over-do the numbers thing sometime and eliminate perfectly good stones. You are just luckier than most since you were able to choose from a selection of stones without knowing all the stats. I can''t wait to see what you decide!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
db, I think I can relate to the tacky thing. But I just think diamond size has grown over the years! I think now that 1.6 is okay for us (after a littl brainwashing
2.gif
), but I doubt either of us would choose a poorly cut 3 ct.with black spots in it at the same price in order to have a big honker. That would be tacky to me. And the 1.6 is really my absolute comfort limit for where I live.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 8:34:39 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
db, that is sooooo fabulous that your were able to see a few stones together! My old diamond has a large table and it is so bright and white! I love that about it! When I ordered the diamond with the 54 table, it just seemed too dark in certain lighting. So I started searching for ideal cuts in the larger table sizes. The one I got is 56.7. So I understand exactly what you mean. You were just lucky to be able to examine several while I could only compare two. But honestly, I would have never been able to come to a decision had I not been able to compare two or more. Your eyes need to be able to choose what they like best! Honestly, I envy you possibly having an E to choose! I talked with Jon yesterday about going to an F stone. But in the end, he didn''t feel that it was worth it for me to pay $4000 more for a stone one color grade higher (technically) and it was a 1.5. I respect him so much for that! But I''d love it if we were diamond twins! That would be sooo great! And I think the stone sounds wonderful! Anything that falls in the 1-2 HCA range has got to be beautiful, I am convinced! We over-do the numbers thing sometime and eliminate perfectly good stones. You are just luckier than most since you were able to choose from a selection of stones without knowing all the stats. I can''t wait to see what you decide!
1.gif
Well, even if you couldn''t look at a lot of stones together, you had Jon to talk to. After years of reading here at ps and studying the GOG website, I would let him "be my eyes" in a heartbeat! Actually, with all of these vendors, it would matter a lot to me what the experts think. I don''t want to compare Kim to these guys, but ... well, let''s just say I highly respect and value Jon''s, Jim Schultz and Brian at WF''s opinions. (and others here on the board)

I wouldn''t hesitate to buy from any of them without even seeing the stone first!!!

I think you did really well on your selection!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay dg...i wasnt sure if this was a virtual stone in which case it could have been iffy regarding the cut...

my old stone had a large table and i didn't like the sacrifice i made for a brighter, bigger stone in the way of fire and scint, i loveeeeee the sharp fire inside the stone and now i have a mental block against big tables...hee hee. like diamond baggage i guess.. but everyone's eyes are definitely different, it was fab you saw it in person and it spoke to you!! perfecto..that's the way to go.

okay so now where are the pictures?!?!!??!?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 11:51:40 PM
Author: mrssalvo

congrats dbgaap, an E with blue fluor...YUMMY
36.gif
I agree. I am a sucker for the look of a super white stone with med blue fluor.

If this stone is the one that called your name, even next to the AGS0, then it sounds like the right stone for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I decided to ask you on your own thread..have you made a decision yet???

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I just loved that stone. A new head has been ordered for my Stuller solstice 4-prong.
I should have it in a week.

I had been slowly, brewing... simmering on the idea.

A while back I made a massive search for a re-mounting of the 1.20 G. I couldn''t settle on anything, but I did try on a 3-stone with a 1.5 center and .5 on each side.

So I figured, well, think about it for a while, let the idea sink in....

And, I daresay, I am headed in that direction. You know I have only been married less than 2 years. When I told huby I felt like I should wait for a milestone anniverary to get any more, he said, "yeah- isn''t 3 years a big one?" like you know, 3 years, 3 stones...

Who knows, maybe that''s where I am headed. The 2.5 c 3-stone gave complete finger spannage.
yum

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
Yay!!! I wasn''t sure you had made a definite decison! How fantastic that all they have to do is change the head!!! You''ll haev yours a lot quicker than me!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
OK, testing, testing, 1.. 2.. 3.....

My mechanically inclined hubby figured out (in about 3 seconds flat... as opposed to hours of my own puzzlement) how to take the best pics using the Canon Powershot A510 (in flouresent light & cloudy day).

Here is the best I can do. Pic of an antique sapphire pendant.
I think we''re going camera shopping today.

antique sapphire pendant 7-15-06.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my gosh, that is too funny...I was using my daughter''s Canon A510 to take my pictures! Maybe I need your husband to get on here and give ME those pointers! Pretty pendant!

It is very funny on here that a new diamond ring seems to always necessitate a new digital camera! I am getting one for myself, too! I''ve been searching on here for the favored brands. Do you know what you''re looking for?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
OK, let''s try a little re-sizing

07-15-06 antique sapphire_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results