shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s your "freak out" price point?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
vc10um - I don''t have a price point, as long as it is insured. But I do run long distances, and I dont wear my rings when I''m out. 1) because they get all nasty and 2) because I don''t want to have anything on me that would attract negative attn... I used to think I had a size point that I wouldn''t be comfortable wearing - and that was before I got married. I never wore rings, so anything more than a band seemed TOO MUCH! then I plopped some sparkle on there... and I could go Ellen Barkin big.
9.gif

jaylex - your comment about your FMIL and your FI and how it upset you... I understand, your ring has value, MUCH MORE than the actual $$$ he spent on it - and for him to downplay that, seems bad. He spent what he spent, you''d rather he not divulge the amount, but you''d rather him not lie (up or down) about it either. But here''s the thing. MOST PEOPLE HAVE ZERO CLUE ABOUT JEWELRY, DIAMONDS in particular, and they certainly don''t have a clue about 4c''s and cost. Most people think cut means the diamond''s shape. (Just watch Bride Wars.) It happens, don''t let it bother you. In fact, I''d RATHER have people think my diamond didn''t cost much. Most people won''t ask, what is the color, clarity, and cut, they''ll just ask, what is the SIZE. They don''t realize it may look PHENOM because of the way cut comes into play. For instance, my girlfriend has been living with a man for sometime. She is ready to get married, but always wanted a diamond at least 2 carats. He doesn''t want anything he can''t pay for outright. She thought a 2ct diamond would be 8-12K, "ideal" cut for a D flawless.. where that budget would only purcahse a .9-1ct diamond... her perfect diamond would run well over $100,000.00. (She now wants a house, and is still waiting while she figures out her own price point...) So really if they aren''t interested in all your specs... don''t have the knowledge of what that even means... who cares if he flubs a little bit. Makes her feel better. He didn''t really say how much he said... he said "about that much" - she chose to interpret it as $3K. Because that was all too shocking for her. Had she asked all your specs, she could have gotten a ballpark figure... but really - it wasn''t her place to pry... some people just do.

Another example, a coworker friend of mine made a very snarky comment after a friend of mine got engaged. Her ring is large, and gorgeous, (Friend also has a size 3 finger size so it has REALLY good finger coverage) and the coworker made a comment about how ridiculous it is for anyone to spend over $X amount on just a piece of jewelry... without realizing that my ring was WELL over that amount. The 4 C''s are an interesting thing.. and sometimes people make assumptions based on SIZE alone. Did I correct her and say well you know, MY RING cost more than that ... I instead stated - well you have 3 cars a motorcycle and a boat... and a loan on each. Those are all things that you love.. and you''ll be replacing them in 3 years... this is something she loves and that she''ll have forever. So Jaxlex, some people just have different priorities is all... and to the OP... her price point was clearly defined, and what she would feel comfortable wearing every day was much smaller than her SHOCK point. However, sometimes people want different things... and put priorities on different things. Cars, Boats, Children, Pets, Jewelry, Working at a job they love... I think everything has its price.

What a loooong post! But such an interesting point, thanks vc10um for starting this discussion!
36.gif

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:57:13 AM
Author: jaylex
Love the shirts folded thing... everytime FMIL makes a comment to me about what FI likes to eat, or what his favorite movie is, or she tries to embarrass him by talking about the pair of boxers he left out on his bedroom floor ect.. I can''t help but laugh inside. ''Those boxers looked MUCH better on my floor!
28.gif
''.. ha ha! if only i had the guts to say that to her! too bad i''m not disrespectful lol.

But nope.. kill um with kindness it is!
12.gif

Bwahahaa! Yeah, that reminds me of something like I said to his mother once. It was at the point where she was so snarky that I just had to say something. He was out in the front yard cutting the grass, and I was folding the laundry and putting new sheets on the bed. I sort of haphazzardly laid the top sheet on the bed. She was over that day to cook dinner, as she randomly stopped by for no reason. She came in the room and said "You know, you should really tuck those sheets in, he likes it better that way." I just smiled sweetly and said "Oh, yeah, I know, but we''ll just end up messing them up later anyway, so I won''t bother"

She gave me the stare of death and walked out of the room and out front, presumably to say something awful about me to him, but I just giggled inside and went on with my day.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 11:02:49 AM
Author: tlh
However, sometimes people want different things... and put priorities on different things. Cars, Boats, Children, Pets, Jewelry, Working at a job they love... I think everything has its price.
36.gif

Well put, tlh!

As for shock points, that''s what insurance is for.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 11:02:49 AM
vc10um - I don''t have a price point, as long as it is insured. But I do run long distances, and I dont wear my rings when I''m out. 1) because they get all nasty and 2) because I don''t want to have anything on me that would attract negative attn... I used to think I had a size point that I wouldn''t be comfortable wearing - and that was before I got married. I never wore rings, so anything more than a band seemed TOO MUCH! then I plopped some sparkle on there... and I could go Ellen Barkin big.
9.gif

Another example, a coworker friend of mine made a very snarky comment after a friend of mine got engaged. Her ring is large, and gorgeous, (Friend also has a size 3 finger size so it has REALLY good finger coverage) and the coworker made a comment about how ridiculous it is for anyone to spend over $X amount on just a piece of jewelry... without realizing that my ring was WELL over that amount. The 4 C''s are an interesting thing.. and sometimes people make assumptions based on SIZE alone. Did I correct her and say well you know, MY RING cost more than that ... I instead stated - well you have 3 cars a motorcycle and a boat... and a loan on each. Those are all things that you love.. and you''ll be replacing them in 3 years... this is something she loves and that she''ll have forever. So Jaxlex, some people just have different priorities is all... and to the OP... her price point was clearly defined, and what she would feel comfortable wearing every day was much smaller than her SHOCK point. However, sometimes people want different things... and put priorities on different things. Cars, Boats, Children, Pets, Jewelry, Working at a job they love... I think everything has its price.

What a loooong post! But such an interesting point, thanks vc10um for starting this discussion!
36.gif
tlh, thanks for all your insight! I''m also a long distance runner (I''ve done 2 half marathons in September and will be running my final...planned...fall race next Sunday, the Army Ten Miler) and would never DREAM of wearing bling when I was out. I swell, I get all sweaty and gross, and I can''t imagine what kind of target that would make me. But I was SHOCKED to see how many women at my last race (the Philly Distance Run) were running with their bling! Some could definitely just have been good looking fake stand-ins for those of us who feel naked without particular pieces of jewelry, but I definitely saw a Mark Morrell in the mix at the starting line! And you''re totally right--EVERYTHING has its price, and it''s value, to particular people!

Date: 9/25/2009 11:41:32 AM
Author: JustLikeYou

Bwahahaa! Yeah, that reminds me of something like I said to his mother once. It was at the point where she was so snarky that I just had to say something. He was out in the front yard cutting the grass, and I was folding the laundry and putting new sheets on the bed. I sort of haphazzardly laid the top sheet on the bed. She was over that day to cook dinner, as she randomly stopped by for no reason. She came in the room and said "You know, you should really tuck those sheets in, he likes it better that way." I just smiled sweetly and said "Oh, yeah, I know, but we''ll just end up messing them up later anyway, so I won''t bother"

She gave me the stare of death and walked out of the room and out front, presumably to say something awful about me to him, but I just giggled inside and went on with my day.

JustLikeYou, I''m CRYING I''m laughing so hard at my desk!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaylex--I'm sorry you hear that your FMIL behaves this way.

I think it is really important that you and your FI draw some serious boundaries with her as soon as possible. It is none of her business what her adult son spent on his fiancee's engagement ring, and it really crosses a line that she even asked. It's one thing for a mother to be concerned if her adult son still lives with her and does not yet support himself, but that doesn't sound like this is the case with you. (If he does, then he needs to get out ASAP!)

My FIL has a lot of opinions, shall we say, and we have to be very careful about what we choose to share with him. Example: We traded in our SUVs and purchased two new Honda Civics a couple years ago. Upon hearing this, FIL said "What do you need fancy sports cars for?" and then brought up the fact that we drive "fancy sports cars" repeatedly after that. Um, have you seen the Honda Civic? It is neither fancy, nor a sports car. And it was none of his business that we paid for them in cash, but we did, and that's why we bought inexpensive $20,000 cars in the first place. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like your FI's mom is like my FIL, and if that's true, your FI will never do the right thing in his mother's eyes, and she is always going to have something to say about it. This is why it is so important to draw boundaries and to make it clear that these details are really none of her business.

I wish I could say that parents get better as their children age, but I can't. My husband is 39, and his father still treats him like a child. All we can do is choose our battles, and let him know when he's overstepping the lines of decency.

ETA: OP, I'm sorry for the threadjack! I thought this was Jaylex's thread when I read her response about her MIL!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:37:41 PM
Author: Haven

ETA: OP, I''m sorry for the threadjack! I thought this was Jaylex''s thread when I read her response about her MIL!
No problem...we''ve morphed to an entirely different "freak out" point and I don''t mind at all.
1.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 1:45:45 PM
Author: vc10um

ETA: OP, I'm sorry for the threadjack! I thought this was Jaylex's thread when I read her response about her MIL!

No problem...we've morphed to an entirely different 'freak out' point and I don't mind at all.
1.gif

Amen to the freak out point! It looks like a lot of us don't have them, but our MILs do!

MIL is really into jewelry so God bless her, she notices everything I have on...especially if it's new. The first time we visited her after getting engaged I felt funny showing her the e-ring because she is a wonderful modest lady. I thought she'd think it was over the top or that it was my idea to get that size (it wasn't). DH did it all on his own and she was very gracious about it. But I did think, "OMG, is she going to freak out?" We were a few years out of college so I was young and not as secure as I am today.
31.gif

So whenever she said anything about the size, I would say, "I know! He did it all on his own! I'm very lucky!" Probably overkill in retrospect, but I really didn't want to give her the wrong impression. It's so funny how different things are with MIL as opposed to our own moms. When I showed my mom, she'd say, "It's huge!" And I'd grin and say, "I know!" With MIL, it was... "Is that bad???" LOL.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Bliss I think you touched on another interesting point... is the freak out point, only based upon the company we keep? Maybe, if I was in a dodgey neighborhood, I''d put sparkle side down... but with the MIL, sparkle side UP! Heck, why not show off that her son is doing well!
28.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 4:06:52 PM
Bliss I think you touched on another interesting point... is the freak out point, only based upon the company we keep? Maybe, if I was in a dodgey neighborhood, I''d put sparkle side down... but with the MIL, sparkle side UP! Heck, why not show off that her son is doing well!
28.gif
Interesting thought! I have to say I think my freak out point isn''t, because I''m surrounded by people all along the bling spectrum. Not just in terms of size, but in terms of shape, metal, and even type of stone! (Several people I work with have gemstone e-rings...) And everyone around me seems to be very appreciative of any pretty sparklies! But I DO think it''s influenced by what I know he personally can afford (we work for the government and our salaries are public knowledge, lol) and what chunk of his savings/earnings I''m comfortable with him spending on me. But I can definitely see, like in jaylex''s case above, how the company you keep can be a HUGE influence...like jealous friends...etc.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
jaylex--I''m sorry you hear that your FMIL behaves this way.

I think it is really important that you and your FI draw some serious boundaries with her as soon as possible. It is none of her business what her adult son spent on his fiancee''s engagement ring, and it really crosses a line that she even asked. It''s one thing for a mother to be concerned if her adult son still lives with her and does not yet support himself, but that doesn''t sound like this is the case with you. (If he does, then he needs to get out ASAP!)

My FIL has a lot of opinions, shall we say, and we have to be very careful about what we choose to share with him. Example: We traded in our SUVs and purchased two new Honda Civics a couple years ago. Upon hearing this, FIL said ''What do you need fancy sports cars for?'' and then brought up the fact that we drive ''fancy sports cars'' repeatedly after that. Um, have you seen the Honda Civic? It is neither fancy, nor a sports car. And it was none of his business that we paid for them in cash, but we did, and that''s why we bought inexpensive $20,000 cars in the first place. I guess what I''m trying to say is that it sounds like your FI''s mom is like my FIL, and if that''s true, your FI will never do the right thing in his mother''s eyes, and she is always going to have something to say about it. This is why it is so important to draw boundaries and to make it clear that these details are really none of her business.

I wish I could say that parents get better as their children age, but I can''t. My husband is 39, and his father still treats him like a child. All we can do is choose our battles, and let him know when he''s overstepping the lines of decency.

ETA: OP, I''m sorry for the threadjack! I thought this was Jaylex''s thread when I read her response about her MIL!
Thanks.. and I really agree with you. So does FI. But FMIL just doesn''t seem to "get it". In our case, we still both live at home but we have been supporting ourselves since he was 15 and I was 17. FI graduated from HS early and got his school stuff done in two years. He''s been working full time since he was 16. I got my two years of "college" for interior design done in one and have been working full time for two years. We do support ourselves and could have moved out a couple of years ago if we wanted to.. but our parents would have been extremely pissed if we had moved out before we were engaged. So we are moving out this december.

as far as the highlighted area goes, you summed our life with her up to the tee.
I agree with choosing your battles.. but it''s tough lol.

Btw, bf drives a Honda Civic that he also paid cash for.. of course it was his first car that he bought when he turned 16. It''s a ''98 (lol!) but it runs like a dream! It may be used, but it''s still a honda!
4.gif

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 11:41:32 AM
Author: JustLikeYou

Date: 9/25/2009 1:57:13 AM
Love the shirts folded thing... everytime FMIL makes a comment to me about what FI likes to eat, or what his favorite movie is, or she tries to embarrass him by talking about the pair of boxers he left out on his bedroom floor ect.. I can''t help but laugh inside. ''Those boxers looked MUCH better on my floor!
28.gif
''.. ha ha! if only i had the guts to say that to her! too bad i''m not disrespectful lol.

But nope.. kill um with kindness it is!
12.gif

Bwahahaa! Yeah, that reminds me of something like I said to his mother once. It was at the point where she was so snarky that I just had to say something. He was out in the front yard cutting the grass, and I was folding the laundry and putting new sheets on the bed. I sort of haphazzardly laid the top sheet on the bed. She was over that day to cook dinner, as she randomly stopped by for no reason. She came in the room and said ''You know, you should really tuck those sheets in, he likes it better that way.'' I just smiled sweetly and said ''Oh, yeah, I know, but we''ll just end up messing them up later anyway, so I won''t bother''

That is AMAZING!
36.gif
9.gif
21.gif

I told FI about what you said and he said that I could say something like that to his mom but he hopes that I wait until AFTER we move out so that she doesn''t clobber him for it when he goes home! lol.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um: it really is ridiculous, the way she treats him... Especially since her mother was the EXACT same way with her! And she used to complain about it all of the time... It''s really sad because she just doesn''t see that she is a spitting image of everything she hated in her mother.

tlh: FMIL wouldn''t have the first clue about any of the 4 c''s. If I told her that it was a GIA Cert, VVS2, I, .81 EX/EX she would have looked at me like I came from another planet.
The main reason I think she is offended by my ring is because we picked it out together. She hardly ever wears her ering/wedding band because she doesn''t like the look of them. In 4 years I think I have seen her set 4 times (when they go to family reunions or other big events). She was very upset when FI told her that we found the diamond and chose the setting together "you shouldn''t have done that! That''s not right!". She even made a comment today about how his proposal must have not been "special" and how I must not have been at all "surprised or excited" because I "knew it was coming". She never congratulated us on being engaged, let alone asked how he did it... so who is she to say that? FI just thinks she is bitter b/c his stepfather didn''t ask her opinion before buying her a ring.
I do understand what you''re saying about priorities tho. That was very well put.

Ok. So I have found my freakout "point"...

It''s wherever my Mother in Law is!
3.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I have a "freak out" price point. My husband sure does though! "What you want to wear something on your finger that costs as much as a car!?"

I do have a size "freak out" point though. I tried on a 2ct RB and it looked like a door knob on my finger. Just silly on my hand. And my friend who wanted me to try it was suprised that it looked silly -- she was encouraging me to go larger.
1.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 5:41:18 PM
vc10um: it really is ridiculous, the way she treats him... Especially since her mother was the EXACT same way with her! And she used to complain about it all of the time... It''s really sad because she just doesn''t see that she is a spitting image of everything she hated in her mother.

tlh: FMIL wouldn''t have the first clue about any of the 4 c''s. If I told her that it was a GIA Cert, VVS2, I, .81 EX/EX she would have looked at me like I came from another planet.

The main reason I think she is offended by my ring is because we picked it out together. She hardly ever wears her ering/wedding band because she doesn''t like the look of them. In 4 years I think I have seen her set 4 times (when they go to family reunions or other big events). She was very upset when FI told her that we found the diamond and chose the setting together ''you shouldn''t have done that! That''s not right!''. She even made a comment today about how his proposal must have not been ''special'' and how I must not have been at all ''surprised or excited'' because I ''knew it was coming''. She never congratulated us on being engaged, let alone asked how he did it... so who is she to say that? FI just thinks she is bitter b/c his stepfather didn''t ask her opinion before buying her a ring.

I do understand what you''re saying about priorities tho. That was very well put.

Ok. So I have found my freakout ''point''...

3.gif

jaylex, I think your FI totally hit the nail on the proverbial head with that assessment of his mother! She''s TOTALLY jealous that you got a ring you love, when, in reality, she should be *so* happy that she raised a son who was concerned about what you wanted and wanted your ring to be perfect! *sigh*

And I love that last line.
11.gif

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think I have a freak out ''price point''...I currently wear a 1.58ct RB--which I thought would be huge and more than enough on my 4.5 finger, but the more I wear the more I think I would be comfortable wearing a diamond between 2-2.5 carats. I think beyond 2.5 would most definitely be my freak out size. I think I am just suffering from diamond shrinkage syndrome...LOL!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I hadn''t put much thought into a freakout price point till this thread, so good thread, vc10um!

My dad told me a couple months ago, out of nowhere, "Don''t go gettin'' no $3,000 ring! There''s no sense in that!" ... but he also has no idea what things cost any more really, since my mom keeps track of all their finances. (AND since she doesn''t wear jewelry!) But I just said, "Okay, Dad" and just let it go.

My BF is a practical guy, so I honestly don''t believe I really need to come up with a freakout price point, considering his will probably be lower than that.
25.gif
But he will ask my opinion and get a pretty good idea of what I want before he buys anything. If I had to come up with a freakout price point, I think for now it would be anything above $5,000 or so, just because I know my BF is doing okay financially but I know he has student loans, and for now I''d rather him get out of that debt than get me a really pricey ring. I would love to have something more expensive in a few more years, and he loves to spoil me when he can, so hopefully that will happen someday too.
31.gif
Oh, and I know he hasn''t looked at rings at all (or diamonds or settings or anything) and probably is *really* underestimating what he will want to spend to get something he and I both like. I''ve tried to tell him that a few times, but I''m looking forward to his face when we do start looking soon and he sees some prices. Hehehe.

I definitely have a freakout SIZE point though. I''m not certain of what it is, but I think honestly anything bigger than 1 carat would probably look (and feel) silly on me. I have a few really simple cheapo rings I wear now, and my other jewelry is usually pretty understated, and I dress pretty casually most of the time. I really couldn''t see myself wearing a 3 carat ring every day, at least not any time soon. I love drooling over the bigger rings on PS though! :)

Geez, we are all longwinded in this thread, huh?

Oh, and jaylex, that stinks about your FMIL. I''m afraid my FMIL will probably think my ring is too small once I have one, because she wears huge flashy rings, even if she doesn''t seem to know anything about diamond stats.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
As one of the first posters said, anything that would make my bf go into debt would be a freakout point for me. I think it also depends on a guy''s circumstances. If I was dating a millionaire then my freakout point would be different than if I was dating a policeman. Regardless of who I was dating though, I wouldn''t want my stone to be above 8mm round or 7x9.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 11:06:47 AM
Author: vc10um

Date: 9/26/2009 5:41:18 PM

The main reason I think she is offended by my ring is because we picked it out together. She hardly ever wears her ering/wedding band because she doesn''t like the look of them. In 4 years I think I have seen her set 4 times (when they go to family reunions or other big events). She was very upset when FI told her that we found the diamond and chose the setting together ''you shouldn''t have done that! That''s not right!''. She even made a comment today about how his proposal must have not been ''special'' and how I must not have been at all ''surprised or excited'' because I ''knew it was coming''. She never congratulated us on being engaged, let alone asked how he did it... so who is she to say that? FI just thinks she is bitter b/c his stepfather didn''t ask her opinion before buying her a ring.

Ok. So I have found my freakout ''point''...

3.gif

jaylex, I think your FI totally hit the nail on the proverbial head with that assessment of his mother! She''s TOTALLY jealous that you got a ring you love, when, in reality, she should be *so* happy that she raised a son who was concerned about what you wanted and wanted your ring to be perfect! *sigh*

And I love that last line.
11.gif
Hehe. thanks. I''ve been feeling rather spunky in this thread! i hope it doesn''t carry over to RL. I have to see her tomorrow lol.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I would be nervous about more than 10K. I am always tripping and hitting myself against walls and doors and stuff. I know that diamonds are hard and all, but I think that every time that I banged it I would lose my breath. That is alot of money to have on my hand. Don''t get me wrong I can appreciate a large rock and I would accept one, but I don''t think I would wear it daily. Size doesn''t matter to me.

I talk to some people and they say that they would be concerned about getting mugged for it. I find that most people really don''t know how much they are really worth. I was researching the other day and I found a 3.62 ct asscher that I would love to have and it was 44K. I believe that it was less than 8mm too. No one would think that would be worth that much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results