shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your BMI?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a giant pregnant beast right now, and will be ignoring the BMI scale, as well as any other scale, until about 1 year postpartum. I'll check in then! :cheeky:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
19.9 - it used to be lower, but I have cut back on the running and am doing more yoga, which has helped me build more muscle.

The BMI is not a totally worthless tool. I use it in my clinic everyday to assess my pediatric patients (for kids we plot the BMI on a growth cart and use the percentile for their gender and age). I always look at the build of the child, as well as their parents, to ensure the BMI will work for them. There are times when I look at the child and realize the BMI is not an accurate way to assess if they are over/under weight, but I would say that only happens a couple times a month at the most.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
prediet- BMI of 29.9
35 pounds lighter (10 pounds away from next big goal)- BMI 24.2

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
19.2 not super healthy just too tall.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get a health insurance premium discount because my BMI, blood pressure, and cholesterol numbers are all in healthy ranges. They actually measure waist circumference too. For some reason, that's the one that bugs me. If any of those numbers fall outside the healthy range, I get less of a discount.

Before I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, it was over 30.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to lie and say 21. Yeah, and I am sticking to it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Higher than it was a year ago when I was working out regularly. I think that's all that needs to be said on that :nono:

I need to get back on the treadmill at least. I don't know why I can't stay motivated - a week of misery and I'm back on track, look fantastic and feel great - you'd think I'd want to be on track, look fantastic, and feel great all the time!

ETA: I think my problem is that for whatever reason my body is very responsive to change. I can drop a full dress size in literally a couple of weeks by running a mile a day, and when I'm "on track" I'm doing more like three a day... so I *know* that I'll have no trouble with the 4s in the closet by Thanksgiving/Christmas. BUT I'm 25, at some point soon my system is going to start slowing down... and I'll really be up a creek with these sorts of habits then.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
22.5 at almost 7 months pregnant

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1321054087|3059914 said:
Higher than it was a year ago when I was working out regularly. I think that's all that needs to be said on that :nono:

I need to get back on the treadmill at least. I don't know why I can't stay motivated - a week of misery and I'm back on track, look fantastic and feel great - you'd think I'd want to be on track, look fantastic, and feel great all the time!

ETA: I think my problem is that for whatever reason my body is very responsive to change. I can drop a full dress size in literally a couple of weeks by running a mile a day, and when I'm "on track" I'm doing more like three a day... so I *know* that I'll have no trouble with the 4s in the closet by Thanksgiving/Christmas. BUT I'm 25, at some point soon my system is going to start slowing down... and I'll really be up a creek with these sorts of habits then.

Could it be that you need to mix it up a bit? I used to run on the treadmill every single day till I hurt my knees and truthfully I found it got boring day in and day out. When I injured myself I was forced to find something else. So for the last year and a half or so I have been exercising on the Cybex arc trainer. It is low impact and I love it for now. Of course I prefer to do active stuff outdoors (cycling, hiking) but when the weather isn't conducive to that this works for me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1321054810|3059923 said:
Yssie|1321054087|3059914 said:

Could it be that you need to mix it up a bit? I used to run on the treadmill every single day till I hurt my knees and truthfully I found it got boring day in and day out. When I injured myself I was forced to find something else. So for the last year and a half or so I have been exercising on the Cybex arc trainer. It is low impact and I love it for now. Of course I prefer to do active stuff outdoors (cycling, hiking) but when the weather isn't conducive to that this works for me.

I'm sure I do! I love cycling, and we did quite a bit of hiking in CA... I don't know, I just let it go for a few weeks and then I dread the week of pain in getting started again so much I keep putting it off... and by the time I actually just DO it I'm in such terrible condition I'm out of breath in ten minutes.

My DH has knee trouble, too, he plans to start swimming when his shoulder heals. I should join him...

The strange thing is that I don't actually *mind* running, so it's usually my poison of choice. Next bit could be TMI :cheeky: I put a big mirror in front of the treadmill and, um, run in less as the muscle comes back. So I'll start in a tshirt and pants and after a month I'm ready for just the sports bra... that's probably really weird. Good motivation to keep going though - once I start, that is :sick:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
It used to be 25.6 and I had diabetes. When I got it down to 24, and was regularly walking, they said the diabetes was gone.So, yes, it can be important to be within your BMI for at least some of us. that was 3 years ago and as I've said, I'm now 23 BMI. This was losing only about 15 pounds.
I had diabetes for 10 years.It was a pain.
People also tell me I'm skinny, all the time, which is odd, I am definitely not skinny. I am a healthy size. I think they just expect women over 50 to be large, which is the trend in our nation for most except wealthier and urban. I am now the size I was when I was 20 and people used to say I was 'zaftig' then because I have curves. (this was in 1977). I wore a size 12 dress and that was the biggest dress available before you went to plus size. the smallest size available was 6, which was a stick basically in those days. People like my niece who is 5 ft 9 and weighs 115 wore that size. I still fit those size 12s but in modern clothes wear various sizes depending on the manufacturer--2, 4, 6, 8--not kidding about this. some of the 2's are bigger than my old size 12's!
I think body measurements (bust-waist-hip) tell you more about what someone might look like than BMI--but I would bet nobody is going to post their measurements here. Most do not know them.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
stargurl78|1321022466|3059591 said:
mrswahs said:
22.9, smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for my height, but I'm often told that I'm skinny, which also pisses me off. I work out and I work hard to be healthy and to have a muscular build. To be told that I'm "skinny" or to "eat a hamburger" pisses me off to no end.

THANK YOU!!!!! People are always telling me I need to eat a cheeseburger or asking me if I eat. I am at a normal weight for my height so I don't get it.

So rude. It's hard for me to understand how this is OK. It's the same thing as saying to someone oh you're too fat. You should eat less cheeseburgers! :angryfire:
It is *not* OK to comment on other people's weight unless specifically asked by the individual. Sigh. Not sure what is wrong with some people.

I agree. I don't think comments like that should be made, no matter what a person's size is.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
According to the calculator I am 22.7, which is considered "normal".

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm at 23, but agree that you can't use the BMI as the end-all be-all in regards to a healthy weight. My boyfriend falls into the 'obese' range, but he is not overfat at all--he is a lifelong athlete and has a very muscular build. I also have a friend who is quite thin (though not unhealthfully so), and falls into the 'underweight' range because of her tiny bones. Her wrists are about half the size of mine!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Person24

Shiny_Rock
20.7!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
it's 23.7 now, need to get back to 21 but that means i have to get off my fat bum and excercise again :cheeky:

i'm really short, so i only have to gain a few pounds for my BMI to climb :rolleyes:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20.2. I have a thin build, my weight doesn't flucuate. This bmi could be healthy for me, when I'm working out regularly, cutting down on sweets and eating vegetables. But I could have the same bmi and be sedentary and eating lots of sweets, just that in the latter case the weight is made of more fat and less muscle.

I'm 125 right now and have been within a couple pounds of that for the past 4+ years. I don't own a scale at home but know from annual doctor's visits. But if I weighed 130 I would feel "fat" because my body frame is skinny, I don't have anywhere to put it. In contrast I have friends who weigh 20+ pounds more than me, but has far greater stamina and a more solid muscular body. Personally I think she is in better shape than me, but the BMI would say I was in better shape. So I do agree there are body differences that the bmi doesn't seem to take into account. Before having kids I was more around 117, 118 but honestly it was because I had a demanding job and was running around all the time (stress diet). I feel healthier now.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
24.8 ... but I like where my fat is located ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang! I just ran my husband's numbers (6 ft 2, 200 pounds) and he's 25.7! What does that mean? Overweight, obese?
He's not a small guy but I think of him as being in very good shape. He is a classic mesomorph and I think those people get screwed on the bmi. His only downfall -he likes his beer. Don't think he'll give that up but he is on his way to getting his 6 pack back (he does a very primitive boxers regimen and lifts weights).
It's funny he went to a checkup for his skin and he had a woman doctor and a middle-aged nurse who was checking him in, and the nurse followed him to the examining room and kept talking to him while he was waiting there with his shirt off, and stayed in the examining room for the examination even though she there didn't seem to be a reason she was there :confused: I said, as long as there was no inappropriate touching I'm am cool with women ogling my husband LOL.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20.8. I'm one of those "appears healthy according to BMI" but not exactly. My body fat percentage is on the *high* side and I barely ever workout anymore. :(sad

DD's BMI is 16.5 so I get a note every year from school that says she's underweight. Her doc is happy with her weight. She's always been small, eats like a champ and is very active. That stupid school nurse letter gives her a complex. :rolleyes:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta say, based on mine and DH's numbers alone, I'm calling shenanigans.

I'm 23.0, DH is 24.6.
Except, I'm the soft, slightly out-of-shape one, and DH is super fit with great muscles and a lot of definition.
There's no way I am even close to being in better physical shape than my husband. One look at the two of us is enough to draw that conclusion.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[
DD's BMI is 16.5 so I get a note every year from school that says she's underweight. Her doc is happy with her weight. She's always been small, eats like a champ and is very active.

I am "small" also. My Doc would like to see me "heavier" but I am very active, eat like a champ, and have always been "this way". It is what it is!

cheers--Sharon

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1321286964|3061389 said:
Dang! I just ran my husband's numbers (6 ft 2, 200 pounds) and he's 25.7! What does that mean? Overweight, obese?
He's not a small guy but I think of him as being in very good shape. He is a classic mesomorph and I think those people get screwed on the bmi. His only downfall -he likes his beer. Don't think he'll give that up but he is on his way to getting his 6 pack back (he does a very primitive boxers regimen and lifts weights).
It's funny he went to a checkup for his skin and he had a woman doctor and a middle-aged nurse who was checking him in, and the nurse followed him to the examining room and kept talking to him while he was waiting there with his shirt off, and stayed in the examining room for the examination even though she there didn't seem to be a reason she was there :confused: I said, as long as there was no inappropriate touching I'm am cool with women ogling my husband LOL.

I just realized why the nurse was there- because it was a sensitive exam (not supposed to do those alone). Ah well maybe I shouldn't burst his bubble.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
23.3 but would like to get down to 21.0

the BMI tool is sort of like the HCA tool...useful but with limitations :razz: Haven I don't think it's saying that your husband is less healthy than you are, it just means he has a higher mass-to-height ratio than you do.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1321304367|3061590 said:
23.3 but would like to get down to 21.0

the BMI tool is sort of like the HCA tool...useful but with limitations :razz: Haven I don't think it's saying that your husband is less healthy than you are, it just means he has a higher mass-to-height ratio than you do.
I understand that the BMI tool gives you a mass-to-height ratio, I was commenting on the fact that 25+ is considered "overweight" according to the BMI guidelines.

My DH is so far from being overweight, it's laughable that he scores only 0.4 points from that imaginary line. (Actually, I just reentered his information, and he scores a 25.1, not the 24.6 that I thought he scored. NO idea how I screwed that up.) He's 5'8" and around 165 lbs, probably a bit more right now since he's been bulking up these last few months. According to the BMI scale, he is "overweight", but in reality, the man is fit as can be. He has a 29-inch waist, for example. Not a pound overweight, just very muscular in all the right places. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results