shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your 2 favorite colored gemstones?

What's your 2 favorite colored gemstones?

• Alexandrite

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Amber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amethyst

• Andalusite

• Apatite

• Aquamarine

• Chrysoberyl

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Citrine

• Coral

• Emerald

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Fire Opal

• Garnet

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Jade

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Kunzite

• Lapis

• Moonstone

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Morganite

• Opal

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Peridot

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Red Beryl

• Ruby

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Sapphire

Votes: 55 50.0%
  • Sphene

• Spinel

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Tanzanite

• Topaz

• Tourmaline

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Turquoise

• Zircon

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Coloured diamond

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Other

• Total voters

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would have expected more tourmaline votes given how popular paraibas are.

I'm surprised how well spinel is doing, it's a really under appreciated gemstone out in the real world, most of the fabulous people here know and love what it is. I would have assumed the big 3 ie sapphire, ruby and emerald would take up most of the votes.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I'm surprised how well spinel is doing, it's a really under appreciated gemstone out in the real world, most of the fabulous people here know and love what it is. I would have assumed the big 3 ie sapphire, ruby and emerald would take up most of the votes.

Actually I was thinking the opposite - I thought perhaps spinels would be doing even better, because although as you say it is under apprecaited/unknown out there in real life, on PS there seems to be a lot of spinel fans.

In turn, I'm surprised at how popular sapphire is. I like them too of course. Also emeralds. I expected the oppposite to what you were thinking, that on PS, it might be the stones other than the big 3 that might come out the top. Except ruby. I thought ruby would be one of the top ones.

What do I know? :D

It's all very interesting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@JewelledEscalatorsPlease I've observed from others' polls (one of my own included) that blue is a lot more popular on PS than red, hence why it's no surprise ruby is less popular. I think part of it is an East vs West thing, since in a lot of Asian cultures the color red is lucky. In the west at least, many more people have blue as their favorite color, and fewer have red as their favorite color.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@voce,

Yes I was thinking that it might have something to do with things like that. I think blue is the favourite colour across the world, even in Asia according to this poll:

But you're right, the proportion overall is higher in the west compared to Asia. I wonder why red is less popular in the US and Hong Kong though. Maybe on PS we have a lot of US members?

I'm surprised tourmalines that include paraiba and indicolite are not far up the top, along with tanzanite, since they are blue stones. I wonder if it's the durability?

voce

Ideal_Rock
LOL in HK I'm sure the color red has associations with the CCP, and a lot of people in HK feel oppressed by the CCP, so that doesn't surprise me. Hope that this isn't considered political, just fact.

I'm sure some people consider the less durable stones beneath their notice.

I didn't pick emerald, sapphire, or tourmalines because as much as the finest specimens of these stones make me catch my breath, I've seen a lot of ugly examples, too. I guess it's kind of unfair that way, since an ugly "ruby", I usually write off as pink or purple sapphire. :twisted: so yes, I've seen a lot of ugly pink sapphires, but not a lot of ugly rubies... According to where I draw the line. ;)2

Last edited:

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
LOL in HK I'm sure the color red has associations with the CCP, and a lot of people in HK feel oppressed by the CCP, so that doesn't surprise me. Hope that this isn't considered political, just fact.

That's a good point.

I didn't pick emerald, sapphire, or tourmalines because as much as the finest specimens of these stones make me catch my breath, I've seen a lot of ugly examples, too. I guess it's kind of unfair that way, since an ugly "ruby", I usually write off as pink or purple sapphire. :twisted: so yes, I've seen a lot of ugly pink sapphires, but not a lot of ugly rubies... According to where I draw the line. ;)2

That too.

What do you mean by "I'm sure some people consider the less doable arrives beneath their notice"?

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
yes! i love:

classic blue sapphire, not too dark, id call it a medium blue

purple/violet, again not too dark

padpardscha, this one is tricky, i surmise that it really must be assessed in person (which can be very inconvenient) as its subtle and closer to flesh tone. to determine if the particular pad youve chose looks good on an individual and their skintone (overtone and undertone)

pink

i can go on. but i will stop now

Hmm. All of this has got me thinking I need to look at more sapphires - I've seen a few purple and blue sapphires with a hint of violet online and on PS that's made my heart skip :kiss2:

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Sapphires and spinels! :D The great thing is, both are defined to have so many different colors that they could keep me happy for a while, though of course blue sapphires and red spinels are the dream for me. (@voce is totally unsurprised...)

ETA: Of course, the other dream is magenta-red sapphires (almost-ruby) and cobalt blue spinels! :D

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
@JewelledEscalatorsPlease I've observed from others' polls (one of my own included) that blue is a lot more popular on PS than red, hence why it's no surprise ruby is less popular. I think part of it is an East vs West thing, since in a lot of Asian cultures the color red is lucky. In the west at least, many more people have blue as their favorite color, and fewer have red as their favorite color.

I am one of these folks who likes wearing red but who for some strange reason doesn’t like wearing a ruby. It’s a conundrum for me.... or a corundum:lol: I have a ruby, but I don’t wear her. She’s a nice colour but she just doesn’t feel right for me for some strange reason. Maybe one day will meet the right ruby, but it’s ok if I don’t as there are so many other colours to play with.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
In a surprise to absolutely no one, Benitoite and Emeralds for me. Both soft stones but I can't help myself! 3rd runner up would be pinky peach spinels or sapphire.

@missy Benitoite might be closest to a a blue diamond in terms of RI, slightly more dispersive, gorgeous blue, and way less.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I therw caution to the wind and voted citrine because Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has some stunning pieces

And then i voted for peridot

Just to mix it up

I think i jinxed the cricket because our white ferns are going down to the Aussies

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Top top favs:
Emerald- nothing comes close to me for that lush viridian blue-green. I have my dream emerald that I need to set & own two emerald rings that I love and am in the process of making two more right now.
Second which wasn't on the list would be malachite. It's not to everyone's taste but it too has that viridian color that I'd die for. I love lighter malachites swirling with eyes and carrying shades...it feels so spiritual.

So basically Im a blue-green slut.
I have a dark blue green tsavorite that I'm in love with also but you don't usually see it in that shade so emerald & malachite are my favs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm sure some people consider the less durable stones beneath their notice.

That makes complete sence becsuse - trying not to get political- i would never wear anything red- my guys are blue

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
In a surprise to absolutely no one, Benitoite and Emeralds for me. Both soft stones but I can't help myself! 3rd runner up would be pinky peach spinels or sapphire.

@missy Benitoite might be closest to a a blue diamond in terms of RI, slightly more dispersive, gorgeous blue, and way less.

Sorry didn't think to list Benitoite. Lovely colour.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I therw caution to the wind and voted citrine because Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has some stunning pieces

And then i voted for peridot

Just to mix it up

I think i jinxed the cricket because our white ferns are going down to the Aussies

I looked up Queen Maxima's citrine pieces - very pretty, cirtine really compliments her blonde hair. Peridot and citrine goes nicely together too.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised how well spinel is doing, it's a really under appreciated gemstone out in the real world, most of the fabulous people here know and love what it is.

I happened to have a mahenge spinel in front of me when I was voting hence spinel instead of tourmaline (for Paraiba). I think if I had a Paraiba in front of me I might have swung to tourmaline instead :lol:

So top two is tough. If we can choose top five so much easier. I would add (imperial and purple) jadeite, tourmaline... and still undecided on the remaining one... haha ok not so easy after all

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Decades ago, I could of answered this question. But I've seen so many lovely stones from all species I can't give an answer, as each have their own special charms & strengths.

Any stone (well almost) that is a prime example what we look for in that species is my favorite, Vague, yes, but true.

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink spinel and paraiba tourmaline (using the general heading of tourmaline). These are my absolute favorites and I don’t see that changing any time soon. :mrgreen:

This might be my answer too depending on how I interpret the question (i.e. specific stones or types of gemstones).

Pink-Red spinels and paraiba/green-blue tourmalines are definitely my favorite go to's in terms of specific stones....but I picked garnets and spinels as a broader category for the reasons I mentioned.

That being said, if I had to reduce my collection to one type of stone - it would be jadeite for sentimental reasons...plus my jade pieces are classic, timeless and go with everything imo.

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
I opted for sapphire and garnet. Both gems come in an array of characters and colors. That's extra fun to me. I do like ruby quite a lot but, as others have said, there are many unfortunate looking rubies on the market. Corundum, good examples, and garnet are my favorites. :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy Colored Diamond - all the colors of the rainbow, and the light show that only diamond can deliver.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphire (specifically padparadscha) and spinel. I love almost all other gemstones too, but those have a special place in my heart <3

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I chose ruby and sapphire (pink and blue only) but really, any good stone, I would love. I can love a really good Chrysoprase too. Strangely, I will not tolerate the peridot. It’s such a beautiful green too. I just won’t buy it. Maybe it’s because I am influenced by a memory of my mother upset over her peridot cracking.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a soft spot for Morganite, Turquoise and Chrysoberyl and just bought a ruby and voted for Emerald and Sapphire...so that's that... :lol:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
So no voters for amethyst? I do love a good amethyst.

Photo by Katherine James on August 24, 2020.

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: The amethyst. Not mine. Some Instagram pic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results