shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s yer postin'' style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia15

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t posted online much, and I''m beginning to realize it''s a skill.

In real life, you "get" the story so much better and the expression of the person telling you something is so much more interesting than what they''re saying sometimes.

It''s strange, but IRL I''m so patient, whereas online I''m not! For example, I probably owe Galateia a big apology. It''s all too easy to think someone is saying something they''re likely not intending to say at all.

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
im laid back on my posts, hardly ever bother w/caps or full spelling cause i''m lazy. i have to do it everyday at school n work so posting is fun time for me. personality wise, i''m the same in real life as i am online - just hate the shift key when im online for fun

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread.

In real life, I try hard to be kind and polite. So I think (and HOPE!) that I write and speak pretty much the same. Although in person, I do "speak" a LOT (gesture) with my hands! My hubby says that if you tied my hands I wouldn''t be able to speak a word!
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/3/2006 10:08:19 PM
Author: Lynn B
Interesting thread.

In real life, I try hard to be kind and polite. So I think (and HOPE!) that I write and speak pretty much the same. Although in person, I do ''speak'' a LOT (gesture) with my hands! My hubby says that if you tied my hands I wouldn''t be able to speak a word!
1.gif
LOL- Lynn- you are too funny- actually, your hubby is too funny!

You can tell that you are a very expressive person by how you post- you always have a lot of exclamation marks, smiley''s etc. I can believe you say a lot with your hands! Are you Italian, by chance????
2.gif

In real life, I am kind, but a "tell it like it is" kind of gal. I think I am more polite on here though. I try to be courteous to everyone. There were a few times on Pscope that I wanted to go off on someone who was being rude, obnoxious,etc, and in real life I totally would, but here I need to hold back!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great topic! I always worry over email that things come out wrong or not as intended, since one cannot hear tone of voice and see facial expressions or body language. You just have to hope that the words chosen and the phrasing used convey what you want conveyed...but it is easy to come across in a way other than what you meant.

In life I am patient (mostly) and NEVER want to hurt someone, even if I totally disagree with them about something . I am caring and like to be honest,and find it worth the little extra effort to chose my words carefully while still making my point sincerely. That does not mean at times I am not a bit blunt, but again, I try to think how things will sound and try to avoid certain words which can be inflammatory.

It is true that things said (or typed) in haste or anger can come back to bite you. Being on line, sometimes, leads people to not be too concerned about those things (or so it seems to me). Being annonymous can be a sword that cuts both ways, I guess.

Of course, though, I am no saint
emotion-5.gif
and there are days I am less tolerant or patient...usually because a killer migraine, no sleep, etc...and it really takes an effort on my part (count to ten, deep breaths) to be more neutral. People cutting in line or being really rude or letting their kids be awful really tests my patience when I am not at my best. On line, I can just not log in if I am feeling less than myself...easier to avoid issues than in life...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 10:40:57 AM
Author: Dani

LOL- Lynn- you are too funny- actually, your hubby is too funny!

You can tell that you are a very expressive person by how you post- you always have a lot of exclamation marks, smiley''s etc. I can believe you say a lot with your hands! Are you Italian, by chance????
2.gif

HAHA! Yes, Dani, as a matter of fact, I AM Italian!
1.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 7:13:03 PM
Author: emeraldlover
I haven''t posted online much, and I''m beginning to realize it''s a skill.

In real life, you ''get'' the story so much better and the expression of the person telling you something is so much more interesting than what they''re saying sometimes.

It''s strange, but IRL I''m so patient, whereas online I''m not! For example, I probably owe Galateia a big apology. It''s all too easy to think someone is saying something they''re likely not intending to say at all.
Aw, no, you don''t owe me an apology-- after reading more ''flamewar'' threads on here, I''ve realized that it''s just best not to bring up stuff that can be taken the ''wrong way'', and that it''s nearly impossible to prevent that from happening-- and there is always someone who is going to read more into your posts than you meant, or seize on a careless turn of phrase and take offense.

I learned my lesson about leaping to conclusions on the thread Stephanie''s boyfriend made about her wanting bigger bling than he could afford, and after hearing the rest of her story and dislodging my foot from my mouth, I apologized profusely to her! I''m still contrite over that one... (Sorry again Stephanie, if you are reading this!)

And Lynn, I know what you mean-- amazing the difference visual communication makes! One of my students told me that watching me rant about my landlord to my Deaf friend was like watching his Italian friends swear with the sound turned off! My housemate is Italian, and woe betide anyone standing too close while we''re having an animated discussion!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
It''s basically the same as real life--I am really goofy with my family and close friends, everyone else I try to act a little more reserved with. Also, I don''t leave letters off the ends of words when I''m talking :)

I''m more of a logic Nazi than a spelling/grammar one, mostly because I have some training in linguistics and several pet peeves with the rules of "perscriptive grammars." I mean, the only reason we don''t split infinitives is that some goof in England thought we should model English off Latin, where the infinitives are naturally *one word.* I also don''t agree with "grammatical" constructions that are so out of date they sound alkward or fussy...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results