shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s yer postin'' style?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your posting persona like compared to the real thing?

Are you more blunt on the Internet than you are in person? More polite? What you see is what you get? Are you wittier with the written word? Much funnier in person?

Etc etc etc............

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
What you see is what you get. I am known as a spelling and grammar Nazi in my group of friends, and it drives them nuts. I hate it if there are spelling or grammatical errors in my posts, and I will go back and edit them out.

I have a very very dry sense of humor that doesn''t come across on the internet, and sometimes, not in person either. There are very few people in this world that understand my humor, my sister and my bf being the first two that come to mind who understand me completely andt think I''m a dorkus.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well, i like to post in southern US vernacular, like last week i used the word "gummint" which one of our UK people didn''t understand. had to explain.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am very much the same in my posts as I am IRL.

ladykemma, what does gummint mean?

Cinderella- I LOVE your new avatar!
Your new ring is really really really really pretty.
Have I told you I like your ring?

Anyway, I am not sure if I can separate what I post and how I act IRL.

Since I do meet people from ps once in a while, I would not want to be inconsistent and seem different IRL.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
gummint - say it out loud. government
1.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I think my voice is pretty much the same online and in person... but I do tend to temper it down a bit online... always mildly concerned about offending someone inadvertently. I''m kinda "tell it like it is"... but also known for being pretty objective about other people''s situations. Overall, I don''t hold much back and it gets me into trouble sometimes in "real life".
31.gif
Fun topic!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My posting style is a lot more formal than my real-life speech. I tend to go back and edit my posts for grammar, flow, etc because that's the line of work I'm in. Can't help it.
9.gif

ETA (see? I can't help it): I tend to be pretty shy in person and am more of an observer than the "life of the party," but online it's easier for me to share my thoughts. So I might seem more forward online than in real life.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im more shy in person until I get to know someone then after that its pretty much the same storm is storm.
Have been online too long to put up any fronts :}
hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder if thats a bad thing to admit. LOL

Hard to believe its been over 10 years that iv been online every day.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I pretty much post the way I speak and act. When I want to emphasize I capitalize so it reads the way I would actually say it. I will say however, that sometimes if my patience has run out with someone (ie. complaining incessantly about a situation but won''t listen to any advice given) I tend to be a little more patient online than I am IRL. IRL there are roundabout ways to get that message across...in written word, it''s kinda just THERE.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''am a really nice guy in person.
25.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appear far less confrontational in real life. Apparently my voice and my demeanor convey kindness. My spoken grammar is good, but I am unable to go back and edit it and I do make mistakes when I am rushing! Unfortunately.

On another note, I was once told by someone who had previously only spoken to me over the phone when she first met me in person, that she would "know that well-bred voice anywhere". Is that good?

34.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
for me in real life, i also can be quiet to begin with, until i feel comfortable with whoever i am with and then i am just like i am on here, sometimes even more outspoken and frank...heheee.

oh but i save the best of my ranting for greg so he hears it ALL...lucky him...not!!
5.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I use a LOT of smiley faces and exclamation points and all caps on PS, which I obviously cannot employ in the real world.
2.gif
But I just don''t like how typed sentences can''t convey tone, so I can''t shake the habit because whenever I try to have a nice mature post, it comes across (to me at least) like I''m being mean and have no sense of humor, even though I don''t think that about other people who don''t use all the smileys and exclamation points....but now I feel like my PS persona is that of someone who uses them, so if I just posted "Congratulations, that is a lovely ring" to someone it would be insulting, since everyone else got a "CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
YAYYYY!!!!!!!!! I''M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
" etc. Hehe, oh well. Also, I''m reeeally shy in person until I warm up to people, which can take a looong time.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 8:18:19 AM
Author: dbgaap

Cinderella- I LOVE your new avatar!

Your new ring is really really really really pretty.

Have I told you I like your ring?

Thanks again dbgaap!!! I like my ring too!
9.gif
I can''t stop staring at it. Too bad there''s no sun here.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I'm better in person than in cyber-space. I sometimes go nuts trying to get my point across in writing, which is why a lot of my posts are short.

Meet me in person, and the visit is anything but short!!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 1:04:45 PM
Author: Cinderella
Date: 6/28/2006 8:18:19 AM

Author: dbgaap

Too bad there''s no sun here.
Every summer day here in San Francisco reminds me of that famous quote Mark Twain apparently said about San Francisco...

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:49:28 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''am a really nice guy in person.
25.gif
You''re a really nice guy online too DF!

Blod
1.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a firey red head....so online is the same as IRL.

(but I try not to judge others, as I make soooo many mistakes myself!)

Blod
9.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
i think my posting style is a little more even keel. the process of typing forces me to think a little more about what im saying, why im saying it, and how others might interpret what i type.

in real life im more opinionated and analytical... mixed with laid back and optimistic... i think my online person is a ballance of everything.

..... i also tend to type like it should sound.

grammar, spelling, etc. hmmm... not so much. if i typed like i work... there would be a lot of pictures here and very few words
3.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I''m the same way in person as I am on here. Not judgemental (usually, but sometimes I can be), optimistic, and very animated!! I also try to use a lot of smileys and exclamation points because it feels more like me!!
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have to be very, very careful about tone.

i am glad they invented the faces.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get told I''m ''sweet'' often in person.

Don''t worry... I don''t see it either. LOL.

I''m much more... focused on ME here than I am in life. Don''t know about the rest so much.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Good question... Hmmm

IRl I am far less.. complimentary and expressive. I do not express feelings of love and compassion easily in person. (*Except to children.. I am the cool mom) Yet people tend to find me easy to talk to and fun to be around. Most of my friends are Liberals (they think it is hilarious...) But I am more tolerant of their views.. only close friends know how much their attitudes irk me. But I tend to love them for who they are rather than what they beleive. I am able to seperate that pretty good here on Pscope as well. I can go over to the Around the World forum and have rounds with someone over something, yet in any other forum I can recognize what we share and that is great.

I find it easier to type and express things in writing than I do verbally. I can write a stinging letter, but fall short in words. I am pretty good at hiding what I truely feel IRL... I suppose that is somewhat the same on Pscope.. except I am a little more... compasionate than I am IRL.

I also tend to be more complimentary... not cause I am faking it, but because no one wants anything from you on Pscope.. and in real life.. everyone wants something.

So in some ways I am the same and in other ways I am very different.

ETA~ I suppose one of the things that is really different is that IRL I am pretty cool to be around and people always wonder what I am thinking... but get me riled.. GOOD LORD... do I get ticked off and have NO QUALMS about telling people that they are out of line. I don;t bother sometimes here on Pscope, it's not worth it. But I also enjoy talking to people that materialistic and in love with their gemstones and bling.. IRL I would find it kinda... Shallow... But I LOVE IT here on Pscope and don;t have a problem with it at all.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a VERY interesting topic!

I''d like to think I''m not any different online than in person - but ... I guess *really* IRL, if I hear people say outrageous or insulting or ridiculous things - I tend to let it go ... don''t challenge the idea or try to explain my view or argue. Live & let live.

Online -- it''s harder for me to bite my tongue (fingers) -- even when debating is completely hopeless & all a matter of differing opinions anyway.

Note to self: butt out.
9.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 4:34:55 PM
Author: MINE!!
Good question... Hmmm

IRl I am far less.. complimentary and expressive. ...
Reading everyone''s posts are fun, but "MINE!", you got me thinking that maybe I am a lot more expressive here on ps than I am IRL, at work anyway.

During the workday, I log onto ps and GUSH, GUSH, GUSH about how pretty your sparkly is. I shift gears back & forth all day long- I function with some pretty aggressive co-workers.

It seems most of my immediate co-workers are men and they can be totally domineering, so I have to stand up to them (which I do, maybe too well sometimes
9.gif
)

So for me, it is quite nice to pop onto ps an indulge my girly side.
30.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel I am different in real life. I started reading the internet because I was really interested in diamonds and being in the UK had never found an appraiser, only jewellers who were there to sell and I knew I couldn''t ask them lots of questions as they had a business to run. I have asked many questions on various diamond boards and learned a lot too but in real life I would not ask this. I even bought a few books about diamonds which were in the local bookstores but they did not give me any of the technical education I was thirsty for.

I would love to do the GIA course and work in the diamond industry but living in Scotland this is not easy to do, although I know there is the distance learning course I just would not know how to break into getting a job after I had finished the course. I asked at the College once and they did not do any courses but suggested I go to local jewellers and ask for work but I felt I would come across stupid as I did not have any qualification to offer.

So I feel I have asked many stupid or paranoid questions as I did not know how to get the answers. I have received great help from the professionals on all boards.

In real life I like others am quite reserved until I know the person. I would like to be a more chatty poster and comment upon peoples new rings all the time but never do this as I come home from work and read posts usually in the time I have to spare.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m much more civil, sweet, and polite on the net. I don''t like to be rude on the net for some reason...it''s there in print and people can read it over and over again and get increasingly wigged out. Fortunately not much fazes me, so I have yet to feel like I WANT to be rude. At the end of the day, even though I know there are real people behind the avatars with real feelings, it''s all just typeface to me and not worth getting my panties in a bunch if I read something I don''t like.

I am very blunt and direct in person. I can also be a silly dork, and sometimes that translates in print. I love to write, so this medium is something I am comfortable with.

It''s fun to read everyone''s answers!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I'm way less coherent in print-- I have a writing disorder that is really wearisome and I just get frustrated too easily. My brain moves too fast for my hands to keep up, which results in some really weird sentence constructions and general irritation with the medium. It probably colours some of my posts, which are apparently inflammatory and don't manage to convey my intentions at all. *sigh* Oh well.

In real life, I'm one of those people who smiles a lot and listens intently. I smile at strangers on the street and get weird looks all the time... I wave my arms around alot, because I'm fluent in Sign, and tend to convey a lot by gesture and tone of voice, and have really animated expressions. Also, I think carefully before I speak, because I have a speech impediment and don't want to slip up, and I laugh a lot. I think I come accross as savage and pessimistic in print, even though I'm not like that in person.

And I'm way more likely to keep my thoughts to myself in person. On the net, I'm less able to sense where the other person is coming from, and more likely to say something I shouldn't.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
on neutral topics i tend to be diplomatic and tactful. like "is this a good diamond or not?"

when things get personal or talk about subjects that I feel passionate about, like recovery from addiction or abuse, i tend to be blunt. one poor pricescoper felt the wrath of kemma one day. (sorry virginia) So I pick and choose which posts I reply to because the more personal ones are a gamble. and can really backfire.

On another website i post to daily, (it's a long hair website) a young woman 18-20 year old was asking how to ASK PERMISSION and OBEY her mother in what shampoo she was ALLOWED to use. I had a few wry words confronting the young lady on why was she seeking permission and why it was an obedience issue, and that she was old enough to make her own decisions.

Anyway it backfired and I got slammed.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am pretty much the same except that I try to be more logical and do less of the joking around I do in real life. Body language plays a big role in my communication IRL and here you don''t get that extra information. I don''t like to see anyone get picked on, and I am even more vocal IRL about that than on here, but I also don''t like hurting anyone''s feelings either.

I love all the different personalities on PS and have enjoyed getting to know everyone. I like getting to know other people better than I like them getting to know me!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results