shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats wrong with me...I just dont love it!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME post Arkeib. I am sure that paulav will now set things in motion to get it sorted out.
:appl: :appl:

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to thank everyone once again for all your responses. Everything is all getting sorted and super quickly to, so I will be back in a couple of weeks to show you all my new setting. Victor has been amazing, I couldn't have asked for any better!!

Once again arkieb1 I will be in contact shortly :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly.

Gypsy|1404852801|3709197 said:
I don't like it either It is too square and looks like a square peg/round hole issue.

I'm sorry.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, paulav,

It sounds like you've made up your mind, so I hesitate to chime in at this point. But I feel I should because I wear a larger-size ring, and my ring size fluctuates greatly with my weight (from 6.50 to 8.25), so I can empathize with your situation.

Although I agree that increasing the size of the ring and widening the band to 2.5 will solve some of the problem, I'd like to suggest that you consider a three-stone (either with or without a halo) or a split shank. I say this because I found round stones in solitaire settings (and this includes round stones in halos) only emphasized the size of my finger and made my center stone look small.

And something else I've discovered during my time on this forum -- it's not just the size of the finger, it's the fleshiness. Even when I am at my smallest size, my fingers are "fleshy." Not a good combination with a delicate setting!

What looks best on my short, fleshy fingers are:
round stones set in three-stone settings;
tapered or split shank settings;
fancy shapes such as chubby pears, square-ish emeralds, and asscher cuts with or without side stones, but with wider bands;
or round stones set with baguette/bullet sides.

Have you tried on any of these styles?

I think the proportions of the design you choose are simply wrong for your finger size and shape. Again, the design changes you've suggested may improve the look somewhat, but may still fall short of the look you are going for. You may want to step back a bit and discuss this with Victor, before you make a final decision. From what I know of him from this forum, he will be honest with you.

Best of luck to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do go for the halo redo, I think a round halo will look better on that stone since it is so large. I do love a three stone ring as well! Hope you don't mind us giving a few extra opinions!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1404911170|3709674 said:
If you do go for the halo redo, I think a round halo will look better on that stone since it is so large. I do love a three stone ring as well! Hope you don't mind us giving a few extra opinions!

Ditto with the round halo. It's what you wanted originally.

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone

Thanks for the continuation of opinions, honestly Im always happy to hear what anybody has to say. But yes I am concrete on the halo side of things. A tad bit of background I purchased a ring from BGD about Septemberish last year it was a 2.5 ct with the tiffany half round solitaire, it was beautiful simply elegant BUT I was always lusting over VC's work, inparticular his emilya's. Im not really fond of 3 stones on my finger although they do look stunning on many people and my sister and neice have the 3 stone erring.

Really my heart is set on a halo. Diamondseeker I do hear what your saying and believe me I am 99.9% tempted, however in saying that Victor may not be willing to do that and I certainly would not blame him. I know he is going to start my new setting next week I believe and he has been fabulous with everything and will even size it up a little and take the band to a 2.2mm width for me. I think if I was to contact him and ask for the round style he may think Im trying to take advantage which I am in absolutely no way trying to do.

Just so you guys see the ring Im wanting here it is with a 2.5ish ct and one with Frankies 3ct round halo. My new stone is a 3.2ct. Frankies round is what I had originally wanted but changed my last minute. I may consider asking him but wouldn't you think that's just rude of me??? Thanks again all I very much appreciate all your comments.

cushion_halo.jpg

round.png

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
paulav|1404949225|3710062 said:
Hi everyone

Thanks for the continuation of opinions, honestly Im always happy to hear what anybody has to say. But yes I am concrete on the halo side of things. A tad bit of background I purchased a ring from BGD about Septemberish last year it was a 2.5 ct with the tiffany half round solitaire, it was beautiful simply elegant BUT I was always lusting over VC's work, inparticular his emilya's. Im not really fond of 3 stones on my finger although they do look stunning on many people and my sister and neice have the 3 stone erring.

Really my heart is set on a halo. Diamondseeker I do hear what your saying and believe me I am 99.9% tempted, however in saying that Victor may not be willing to do that and I certainly would not blame him. I know he is going to start my new setting next week I believe and he has been fabulous with everything and will even size it up a little and take the band to a 2.2mm width for me. I think if I was to contact him and ask for the round style he may think Im trying to take advantage which I am in absolutely no way trying to do.

Just so you guys see the ring Im wanting here it is with a 2.5ish ct and one with Frankies 3ct round halo. My new stone is a 3.2ct. Frankies round is what I had originally wanted but changed my last minute. I may consider asking him but wouldn't you think that's just rude of me??? Thanks again all I very much appreciate all your comments.

Oh gosh. No contest! Round halo all the way!!!!!! :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, if he is going to remake the ring ask for exactly what you want. I think he would consider it rude for you to accept anything less than what really makes your heart sing. If you want the round halo, ask now before he gets started. How wonderful though that he's so agreeable to a remake - fabulous customer service - but do ask for exactly what you want. He clearly wants you to be happy so here's your chance!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make the observation that the rings that you like have old cut rounds in the centre and a cushion shaped halo rather than a RB with a cushion shaped halo. Some OECs are already wonky and cushiony shaped so they have a less uniform looking outline and are not going to look exactly the same as a RB in a cushion shaped halo....

If you like Frankie's round halo ask Victor his opinion and if he could do that instead. I think they both cost around the same amount so if you like that style better you should explore all of your options.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Having worked with Victor, I know how great and very very patient he is. You are in good hands!

I own a round Emilya with an RB.

I thought I'd tell you what I see. I prefer square shapes. I wear square/rectangle things over rounds every time. But I adore the cut of a RB. It's so crisp and precise. That was my dilemma.

I chose to have my Emilya made round despite my preference. Why? Well, because I prefer a round modern stone in a round setting. And a roundish antique stone in a square setting. I think I match the facets up to the setting. So large facets, I prefer pillowy square setting. Thin, crisp facets, I prefer the halo to mirror it's outline. So round.

Looking forward to whatever you chose! Victor will take good care of you. I am sure of that.

:angel:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1404951760|3710093 said:
No, if he is going to remake the ring ask for exactly what you want. I think he would consider it rude for you to accept anything less than what really makes your heart sing. If you want the round halo, ask now before he gets started. How wonderful though that he's so agreeable to a remake - fabulous customer service - but do ask for exactly what you want. He clearly wants you to be happy so here's your chance!

+1 Get it right now- tell him exactly what you want and what inspired it all, show pics etc. O'wise you will not be happy and he has to remake it again and again. Sometimes it is hard to go back on what you tell them.... ie you tell them something and then you change your mind and feel guilty about changing your mind and dont say anything. Tell him BEFORE he starts making it. O'wise both of you will be upset.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round!

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all once again.

I have contacted Victor and yes I am going with the round. :appl:

Now the only thing is the shank. In the current pic it is 2mm, I can either keep the single shank at a 2.2mm width ( the largest VC does on single pave) or I can do the dual or split shank however at a more delicate width of 2mm possibly under with the split.
I have never considered this before but was bought to my attention earlier by Lula. I don't like to wide of bands though. So its just a matter of what would look best with my size 9 finger and for the emylia round halo.

I am open to suggestions but I don't want to mess up the design Im so lucky to be getting one more chance and I don't want to stuff it up. :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine recently purchased his girlfriend an engagement ring. She has short and a bit thinker fingers. He bought her a split shank and I've never seen a ring more perfect for a finger. Its subtle, delicate, yet also substantial in a way that makes it look appropriate.

Do you have anybody in your area where you could try on a split shank? Its worth investigating at least.

But if you went single shank I'm sure it would be lovely too.

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions Neil I have really appreciated them all :)

Well this really gives me something to think about. I always imagined them to be a bit to much. I think my first concern is I don't want to ruin the look of the halo, then secondly I want it to compliement my finger.

I may get a bit of a chance to look at some tomorrow, but between flying out for a wedding and my partner in hospital, its all so crazy at the moment. Obviously nothing like what I might see will compare to Victors work but atleast I will get a little idea on the finger.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Paula! :wavey: Thought I'd chime in--stick to your original instincts and keep it simple a la Frankie's halo! Just my 2cts!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully, you will get to a store somewhere that has that styling Niel was referring to- the split band halo thing to see what it looks like on your hand. it may look alright, it may not. sometimes it is hard to get that coveted style you like and have envisioned for so long out of your mind until you try something else.

Also of note, in BOTH pics you shared, they have a spacer and eternity (1/2 or 3/4). That combination looks good as a set. So, i am assuming that your wedding band/ set is going to be a similar.

This is a fun process, though daunting given what has happened thus far. Hope you are being kind to yourself. :razz:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you decided to go with the round! I think 2.2mm will definitely be better proportioned for your ring size. That is a thin shank! I do love split shanks, but maybe not as much with a round center. So I'd probably keep the single shank but go to 2.2mm.

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Thank you mom2boys, gregchang and diamondseeker

You all do make very valid points. I think I may start to overthink this and once again regret it.
Gregchang thanks for your words and suggestions. I think I will just go with the good old original design that I have always loved so much, but with a 2.2mm shank. As Im not getting married a band was only ever going to be if I wanted to create a layered look, so I think if I get it and I feel perhaps having another matching band will look a little more compliementry on my finger I will just order it.

I think one thing is important that I actually send the whole ring back to Victor because I know sooner or later if those prongs are not to his standard I will do so anyway. Customs was pretty good actually providing I had all the paperwork so I think its worth the bit of hassle and expense.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I love the round-I'm so happy you get a re-do. It is so worth getting it right!

After reading that you will not be getting a wedding band It really puts the split shank into contention in my mind. Definitely need to try one on before committing, however, I think it would look really nicely balanced and still beautifully delicate on your hand. So, my vote is for round halo 2mm split shank.

Good luck and can't wait to see the new ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you are going with the round - I think you'll love it. I would stick with the single shank too - the Emilya is a beautiful ring - why toy with perfection?!

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, just thought I would come back and give you all an update on what I have choosen to do, since I appreciate that you all took time out to help me.

I am sticking to the originally emilya with donut, single cut melee, 2.2mm shank and size 8.75. My fingers have come down in the last few days after a hectic week of been up at the hospital and not getting a lot of sleep. It was starting to spin a little so I decided against the size 9.

Victor is going to make the setting with a cubic zirconia so the prongs will be finished to his standard. Therefore all I need to do is get a jeweller here to break the cz out and set my diamond, hopefully it will be fairly easy for them and I will end up will a pretty good finish on the prongs.

My niece tried on the current ring with her wedding band that was a tad thicker than the current 2mm shank and it looked really beautiful together, so Im thinking I actually might order an eternity band a bit down the track if I feel it needs something a little more. I know it would be best to do now but I am not sure how long my partner will be off work so Im not wanting to spend anything until things return to normal.

Just wanted to add that Victor has truly been amazing and patient with me so Im sincerely grateful for that.
I promise I will be back with pics as soon as I receive and have it reset. :appl:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
paulav|1405301711|3712752 said:
Hi everyone, just thought I would come back and give you all an update on what I have choosen to do, since I appreciate that you all took time out to help me.

I am sticking to the originally emilya with donut, single cut melee, 2.2mm shank and size 8.75. My fingers have come down in the last few days after a hectic week of been up at the hospital and not getting a lot of sleep. It was starting to spin a little so I decided against the size 9.

Victor is going to make the setting with a cubic zirconia so the prongs will be finished to his standard. Therefore all I need to do is get a jeweller here to break the cz out and set my diamond, hopefully it will be fairly easy for them and I will end up will a pretty good finish on the prongs.

My niece tried on the current ring with her wedding band that was a tad thicker than the current 2mm shank and it looked really beautiful together, so Im thinking I actually might order an eternity band a bit down the track if I feel it needs something a little more. I know it would be best to do now but I am not sure how long my partner will be off work so Im not wanting to spend anything until things return to normal.

Just wanted to add that Victor has truly been amazing and patient with me so Im sincerely grateful for that.
I promise I will be back with pics as soon as I receive and have it reset. :appl:
Sounds exciting!!!! I cant wait to hear about your CZ removal and diamond insertion - this is a clever way of doing it I think.

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Hi Laurenk Yes I am a lot more comfortable with this suggestion from Victor as opposed to having it sent back without the prongs completed. I am hoping it will turn out really well this way. Also just wanted to thank you for your suggestion on The French Door. I rang and spoke to the jeweller this morning and he is happy to dismount the diamond from my setting and will not charge me for it. I initially only rang because I wanted somebody close for the dismount, however he sounds really nice so I will have a chat regarding the resetting and prongs ect tomorrow when I go in and see him.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
paulav|1405321043|3712893 said:
Hi Laurenk Yes I am a lot more comfortable with this suggestion from Victor as opposed to having it sent back without the prongs completed. I am hoping it will turn out really well this way. Also just wanted to thank you for your suggestion on The French Door. I rang and spoke to the jeweller this morning and he is happy to dismount the diamond from my setting and will not charge me for it. I initially only rang because I wanted somebody close for the dismount, however he sounds really nice so I will have a chat regarding the resetting and prongs ect tomorrow when I go in and see him.
Fabulous news!! Manuel is so lovely and been making jewellery for 30 odd years now. I'm still actually waiting for a quote from him to potentially do my reset. Keep us posted!! Has VC given you a time frame? Also, can you shed some light on duty/customs/Gst etc... When you ring comes back to our shores?

little_birdie

Rough_Rock
I'm not the OP but recently had a ring purchased from WF sent back for modifications. With all the paperwork included to prove we had already paid the GST and customs the first time around, we didnt have to pay for it again when it was sent back.
However I dont know if OP's would be different as its a different setting? That would be interesting to find out

AVCadmirer

Shiny_Rock
Hey Laurenk
As far as I know Victor will start on my setting this week, I believe he wanted to get it back to me fairly quickly so I would say a few weeks, but it takes what it takes. Regarding paperwork as littlebirdie suggested providing you have all the paperwork it should all be fine. In this last delivery I have received the new setting and upgraded my stone and I only paid GST on new purchases and difference on the stone. This one will be send back as a repair so I shouldn't have to pay anything including the custom fee I believe. But once I receive it I will let you know how customs, the resetting of the stone and the jeweller I chose all goes. :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1

MissGotRocks|1404992184|3710346 said:
So glad you are going with the round - I think you'll love it. I would stick with the single shank too - the Emilya is a beautiful ring - why toy with perfection?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results