shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats with all the white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mike4

Rough_Rock

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
If I am not mistaken, platinum and white gold are more popular than yellow gold these days. I am assuming that yellow gold was the big thing in the 80s and earlier.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I think it's more just personal taste. And these days, a lot of people prefer white gold. I even prefer silver over yellow gold.

-spencer

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
I do not like white gold. Gold is supposed to be yellow, not white.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever since diamonds were first cut to sparkle, they were placed in white metal. Same is advocated today for all white or light-colord gems today. However, despite consensus and three centuries of history, this is a mater of taste entirely. Diamonds look just as nice in yellow gold, but their whiteness is much less obvious. This is all... it is easier to appreciate a precious stone for which most of the money went on lack of color, if placed against something colorless,like plat or white gold aspire to be.

This being said, there is not one piece of white precious metal (leaving those silver forks aside) around here!

Mike4

Rough_Rock

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
Personally I have always like the white metal for diamonds. I always liked the clean look and felt that it didn't take anything away from a diamond but accentuates the positive. I have quite a bit of yellow gold also and will wear it on my right hand. I got married in 74 and chose white gold as my preference. In my opinion that set has held its shine better than any other gold jewelry I have had since then. A few years ago we upgraded my diamond and then this year had a new setting done in platinum. I really like the umph and weight of the platinum. My jeweler suggested 900/100 iridium alloy and it has kept the shine and polish as well as my previous white gold.

I know platinum has made a big come back but many don't like it due to the matte patina quality. I have heard some that like the white color consider white gold due for that reason and also for cost savings. The only drawback to white gold is that the yellow tends to come through after the rhodium cover wears.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/6/2003 3:50:42 AM Squeezetheshorts wrote:

So would you say that in a gold setting, the color of the diamond becomes less important?----------------

YES. It is easy to get a feel of that effect if you get to place unmounted diamonds on yellow and white metal background. very large stones (5ct or so) will show their body color even in a yellow gold bezel, but under 2ct it would be a waste to put a D in yellow. There is further anecdotal evidence to this: for example the comments on diamond color at adiamondisforever.com mention this (most sellers just assume that every buyer already has his mind set on the white metal, so they don't even mention this), and the widely popular practice to place yellow diamonds in yellow gold prongs (not to mention bezel) to enhance their aparent color. This trick is much more popular in Europe than US, there are plenty of K-N diamonds in yellow gold designer settings on dispaly here in Berlin as oposed to the dearth I've noticed in Boston...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Platinum (which was quite popular during the first decades of the 20th Century) was the heavily marketed metal in the 1990s, so everyone wanted platinum. I knew plenty of people who knew nothing else about jewelry say they wanted platinum because it had the cache of being the most precious metal. White gold, then, benefited from that perception, but it was more affordable for many people.

I've been seeing the yellow gold ads again, so perhaps yellow gold will make a comeback. Regardless, even with yellow gold settings, you'll notice that the head is still usually white for diamonds.

I like white gold and platinum because my skin looks yucky in yellow gold. My best friend is the opposite and can't wear white metal. Go with your wife's preferences, not with what fashion dictates.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The white metals are hot, but like Hest said, go with what your wife likes, & not be influenced by any outside opinions. I would suggest that if you continue with a yellow gold set, have the head for the diamond made in platinum. Other than that, have fun shopping!
There are a lot of designers out there that only make their rings in Platinum. I found that AJaffe is quite a reasonable & reasonably priced designer. I think all, or at least 99% of their settings, as advertised, can be made in either:
14K yellow or white gold
18K yellow or white gold
& Platinum.

** delivery time is about 10-14days. Better than the 7wks for my Scott Kay.
sad.gif
Judy
:)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Squeeze and welcome.

I think that while white gold and platinum seems to be the preference these days, it's only a matter of time before the trend swings in the other direction . . . again.

When my parents were married in the 1950s, everyone wore white gold and platinum. By the 1980s when I was married, everyone wore yellow gold. White gold was just about nonexistent at the jewelry stores. I have always liked a mix of both. My original wedding ring from 1986 was a combination of white and yellow gold. I guess that was strange to people at the time since I got a lot of comments like, "oh, that's different" and "how interesting." Now I see white and yellow gold together all the time (and I still love that look).

I would stick with what your wife prefers and ignore the trend. If you end up going yellow, don't worry cause it will be back in fashion in another couple years.
9.gif
9.gif

Diamondlil

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Agreed that you should go with whatever her preference is. Also consider what the rest of her jewelery and her watch is.

Also -- my original e-ring was yellow gold and the stone was a K color. It looked just fine -- experts could see the color when examining it, but in that setting, it didn't show in everyday circumstances.

Mike4

Rough_Rock

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If it really is eyeclean, go for the larger stone. The color's not going to matter if it's a well-graded G.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results