shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the Oddest, Strangest, Funniest Gift You've Received?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Re: What's the Oddest, Strangest, Funniest Gift You've Recei

BoulderGal|1291930284|2792429 said:
emilyalyse|1291863895|2791709 said:
Do White Elephant gifts count? :lol:

There is a cow tongue that has been going around in my family for no less than 8 years. :errrr:

We have a concert DVD of the early 90's German heavy metal band Rammstein as the recurring christmas gift. I started it by giving it to my brother. It's truly horrible!! :-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLp63WBV-Ic

Sorry if I've burned your mind's eye with that!

BoulderGal

I have that CD and like it :tongue:

This thread is awesome. Some people are just so bad at giving gifts!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock

I must admit, Rammstein grows on you after a while.... :lol:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

BoulderGal|1291930745|2792435 said:
I must admit, Rammstein grows on you after a while.... :lol:

Their English "love song" is especially catchy!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I was 20 or abouts, I received silver accessories of sorts...Keds that were covered in silver sequince, a matching metallic silver purse (totally NOT a cool one - or in style in any way), and then something else that also was silver.

Around the same time, I got a box from my DH and opened it and two little kitties popped out. Not strange...but the funny thing is, about 15 years later, DH did the same thing except surprised me with a picnic cooler and when I opened it, again two kitties popped their heads out. Meow! Probably won't happen again though as now we're a "one kitty household," according to DH.

I found a female black cat that is an exact duplicate to my current kitty, same eyes and all, and want to adopt her but dh says no. I am thinking that if I brought her home, he may not notice for a while as long as I can keep the kitties each in different rooms...he'll just think our kitty has become more active or can teleport around the house.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

MC|1291932324|2792465 said:
I am thinking that if I brought her home, he may not notice for a while as long as I can keep the kitties each in different rooms...he'll just think our kitty has become more active or can teleport around the house.

LOL bad!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Box of condoms from my future mother in law :oops:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We're seeing Rammstein live on Saturday - THAT is the husband's early Christmas present!

Also, I note that while a few people are curious about the Cocktailiest Cocktail Ring to Ever Cocktail, nobody but nobody wants to see that skirt .... :twisted:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Someone once bought me a . . . . well. . . . we never could figure out just what it was. Seriously. It came from Wicks and Sticks. So I'm sure it was a candle holder or oil lamp or something of that nature. :confused:

Couldn't imagine how it was supposed to go together, or anything. It was that weird. Took it back and exchanged it for what I could actually tell were a couple of oil lamps.

Hope they didn't expect to see it displayed in my house. :bigsmile:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

Hubby gave me a used train set complete with tracks, in a very old cardboard box that he picked up who knows where. It was a b/day gift. Needless to say, it stayed in the box. I have no idea what happened to that gift.

Oh....I just love Rammstien. They put on an amazing concert.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I found a female black cat that is an exact duplicate to my current kitty, same eyes and all, and want to adopt her but dh says no. I am thinking that if I brought her home, he may not notice for a while as long as I can keep the kitties each in different rooms...he'll just think our kitty has become more active or can teleport around the house.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you can actually pull this off! Have you ever seen that commercial for something-or-other that has a ton of black cats on a white couch? I swear they all look EXACTLY like my black cat! I would never be able to find him if he was ever taken to a shelter! :errrr:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

RissaLou|1291934357|2792534 said:

WOW . . . I don't know what to make of that . . . :confused: did she ever give any kind of explanation? Does she like you?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny|1291856916|2791602 said:
No doubt it was the "Murky Dismal" doll. My first year in college I had a hard time adjusting and I guess when I talked to my mother she got a really negative vibe. So she sends me this doll, looked kind of like a Cabbage Patch kid, in a cardboard box with plastic in the front. It was named "Murky Dismal." I asked her why on earth she sent that to me (in so many words) and she said that seemed to be my mood. It was the oddest, strangest, and (I guess) funniest gift I've received. Luckily she hasn't send me anything like that since.

Edited to add: here's a picture of the Murky Dismal doll. It's ugly. You've been warned. :cheeky:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Rainbow-Brite-MURKY-DISMAL-DOLL-1983-MISB-82621646

I love this hideous thing! It looks like a nauseous Mario! :lol: Your mom's a hoot! :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock

junebug17|1291855647|2791573 said:
Let's see...the only thing I can think of right now are these Santa figures that my bil gave my husband. My husband collects Santas, so my bil gave him a "mooning" santa that spins around and well, moons you. And he says something stupid, I forget what. He also gave him a Santa on a motorcycle that sings some silly song. I don't even know if these count, they're sort of gag gifts I guess. They're both pretty tacky, but my family gets a kick out of them. Except my mother, she never appreciated the mooning Santa!

My uncle has a Santa on a Harley . . . :rolleyes: We don't got his house at Christmas . . . :lol: :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

sillyberry|1291859905|2791662 said:
On our first Christmas together my then-boyfriend gave me a carbon monoxide detector (apparently a top-of-the-line one!). He said he didn't want me to die, but I think it was just lying around his house and he thought he might as well give it to me.

The funniest part is that all the guys I know think it was a perfectly reasonable gift and all the girls think it is AWFUL.

My DH said "I guess that's not a good gift?" with a question in his eyes, when I mentioned this to him. He wasn't sure . . . :D

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

iLander|1291956723|2792891 said:

WOW . . . I don't know what to make of that . . . :confused: did she ever give any kind of explanation? Does she like you?

Well she is my MIL now and I do believe she loves my like her own daughter :)) When I opened it, I just stared... She started laughing, a lot, she thought it was really quite funny. She said, "my son always does the exact opposite of what I tell him and I really would like a grandchild soon". So I guess it was a good thing? Still a bit uncomfortable. :shock:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie|1291914871|2792146 said:
No doubt it was the "Murky Dismal" doll. My first year in college I had a hard time adjusting and I guess when I talked to my mother she got a really negative vibe. So she sends me this doll, looked kind of like a Cabbage Patch kid, in a cardboard box with plastic in the front. It was named "Murky Dismal." I asked her why on earth she sent that to me (in so many words) and she said that seemed to be my mood. It was the oddest, strangest, and (I guess) funniest gift I've received. Luckily she hasn't send me anything like that since.

Edited to add: here's a picture of the Murky Dismal doll. It's ugly. You've been warned. :cheeky:

OMG it's Murky from Rainbow Brite! That is the best gift EVER! If you don't want it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :appl:

ETA: Seriously. Rainbow Brite of any shape or form makes me smile - it was my favorite as a child.

LOL! :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

iLander|1291956873|2792893 said:

I love this hideous thing! It looks like a nauseous Mario! :lol: Your mom's a hoot! :D

Thanks! I think you and she would get along very well. Your story about how you are ignoring your husband about dishes reminded me of something she would do. LOL! :D

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

My soon to be husband gave me pegs for my 30th.

I made up for it later in the year with my diamond earrings! :lol:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie|1291933971|2792516 said:
I am thinking that if I brought her home, he may not notice for a while as long as I can keep the kitties each in different rooms...he'll just think our kitty has become more active or can teleport around the house.

LOL bad!

Do iiiittttt!!! :naughty:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra|1291907042|2792047 said:
There is only one gift that stands out - and it has for almost 20 years now... it's THE white elephant gift... for us anyway.

As a wedding gift we got a wall decoration from a relative who got it from one of those tupperware style home decoration book party type things.... and it had two components: First, it had a molded gold plastic cut out of the last supper - the frame and table and all the people were one solid piece of gold plastic. Second, it had a mirrored background. Hideous. We aren't even Christian. But if I was, I'd be offended! lol I think I'd rather have velvet elvis, seriously. Or maybe a velvet painting of kitties with big eyes or something... or better yet, how about just the mirror ;-)

OMG! :shock:

Are you sure it's not a jello mold or something? The last supper and you're not Christian? What the , , , ?

We seriously need a picture of this thing!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

RissaLou|1291964064|2792970 said:

Well she is my MIL now and I do believe she loves my like her own daughter :)) When I opened it, I just stared... She started laughing, a lot, she thought it was really quite funny. She said, "my son always does the exact opposite of what I tell him and I really would like a grandchild soon". So I guess it was a good thing? Still a bit uncomfortable. :shock:

Oh, I'm sorry, that's hilarious! If my DIL and I were on good terms, I would SO be doing stuff like that! She's trying to be funny, that's all. I can totally relate; the only thing that ever worked on my DS was reverse psychology! Like "no, please don't take the garbage out, I like the smell of it. Yum! ". :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock

hawaiianorangetree|1291980906|2793047 said:

What the heck are pegs?

BTW- are you English? If so, can you tell me what a "jersey" is? It's been driving me crazy for years!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny|1291966764|2792991 said:

Thanks! I think you and she would get along very well. Your story about how you are ignoring your husband about dishes reminded me of something she would do. LOL! :D

:D I will take that as a high compliment, Danny! :D

But let's be clear; just because I REMIND you of your mom, it does not mean I am OLD enough to be your mom! :lol:

In fact, DH and I have an understanding; I am 38 and he does NOT have grey hair. Yup. :praise: It's "sexy silver". We won't go into my part of the bargain, but when I'm with the kids I tell them to scrunch down and walk with their knees bent . . .

WAIT A MINUTE . . . Danny, did that doll resemble you? Did you have a Mario 'stach? :-o

If so, I would have bought you two! :lol:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

iLander|1291988809|2793103 said:

WAIT A MINUTE . . . Danny, did that doll resemble you? Did you have a Mario 'stach? :-o

LMFAOOOOOO! You seriously made me hurt myself - a nauseous Mario!Danny with a crazy 'stach!

HAHAHAHAHA!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

iLander|1291988418|2793099 said:

What the heck are pegs?

BTW- are you English? If so, can you tell me what a "jersey" is? It's been driving me crazy for years!

Lol, i'm not English, but I am Australian... does that count?

Pegs are those things that you use to hang your clothes on the line to dry. You 'peg' them on.

What do you call them? I'm curious now. :))

And as far as Jersey goes, the only one I can think of is a Jersey Cow? Other than that I am lost too! :lol:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

hawaiianorangetree|1291990728|2793141 said:
iLander|1291988418|2793099 said:

What the heck are pegs?

Lol, i'm not English, but I am Australian... does that count?

Pegs are those things that you use to hang your clothes on the line to dry. You 'peg' them on.

What do you call them? I'm curious now. :))

And as far as Jersey goes, the only one I can think of is a Jersey Cow? Other than that I am lost too! :lol:

I'm glad you explained what "pegs" are - I was totally stumped! We call them "clothespins" here. :D

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

blueiris|1291992611|2793171 said:
I'm glad you explained what "pegs" are - I was totally stumped! We call them "clothespins" here. :D

Clothespins? Well that's just plain weird! :lol: kidding! :bigsmile:

The different names that we have for things makes me laugh sometimes!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

I was in a work "Secret Santa" and got a statue of Santa. Nice, right?....except it was a statue of Santa...sitting on a toilet, with his pants down around his ankles reading the "North Pole Express".....

Unfortuntely, or fortunately, it got broken a couple of years lates. But it was areal conversation piece, let me tell you!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

iLander|1291988809|2793103 said:

:D I will take that as a high compliment, Danny! :D

But let's be clear; just because I REMIND you of your mom, it does not mean I am OLD enough to be your mom! :lol:

In fact, DH and I have an understanding; I am 38 and he does NOT have grey hair. Yup. :praise: It's "sexy silver". We won't go into my part of the bargain, but when I'm with the kids I tell them to scrunch down and walk with their knees bent . . .

As well you should, but I know you're not old enough to be my mom!

And no, that doll didn't resemble me at all! Just my mood at that time apparently. :))

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

iLander|1291988331|2793095 said:
RissaLou|1291964064|2792970 said:

Oh, I'm sorry, that's hilarious! If my DIL and I were on good terms, I would SO be doing stuff like that! She's trying to be funny, that's all. I can totally relate; the only thing that ever worked on my DS was reverse psychology! Like "no, please don't take the garbage out, I like the smell of it. Yum! ". :D

Oh don't worry, telling this story now cracks people up :D
We are really close now, at the time it just took me off guard, I kinda just sat there and smiled.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results