shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the Oddest, Strangest, Funniest Gift You've Received?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Re: What's the Oddest, Strangest, Funniest Gift You've Recei

hawaiianorangetree|1291990728|2793141 said:
iLander|1291988418|2793099 said:
hawaiianorangetree|1291980906|2793047 said:
My soon to be husband gave me pegs for my 30th.

I made up for it later in the year with my diamond earrings! :lol:

What the heck are pegs?

BTW- are you English? If so, can you tell me what a "jersey" is? It's been driving me crazy for years!

Lol, i'm not English, but I am Australian... does that count?

Pegs are those things that you use to hang your clothes on the line to dry. You 'peg' them on.

What do you call them? I'm curious now. :))

And as far as Jersey goes, the only one I can think of is a Jersey Cow? Other than that I am lost too! :lol:

not English either but I was thinking of rugby type jersey's DH wears a lot of them :)

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=rugby+jerseys&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=AqsWTfK-CIOKvgPVprGADg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CE0QsAQwAw&biw=1024&bih=578

ETA will not let me make it clickable :(

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

pegs = clothes pins

xapora

Shiny_Rock

My now-husband and I were in a long-distance relationship from 2003-2005. Toward the end of our long-distance relationship we had begun seriously talking about an engagement. After he had gone Christmas shopping in 2005 he told me he had the best gift for me and had begun dropping small hints, completely not realizing that they could be misleading. The hints were:

- A small, black box
- Would make my life easier
- Something I'd been wanting for a long time

Naturally, my mind immediately went into overdrive and I began excitedly preparing myself for the proposal, the diamond ring, etc.

It was a laptop battery. :rolleyes:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

xapora|1293382003|2806276 said:
My now-husband and I were in a long-distance relationship from 2003-2005. Toward the end of our long-distance relationship we had begun seriously talking about an engagement. After he had gone Christmas shopping in 2005 he told me he had the best gift for me and had begun dropping small hints, completely not realizing that they could be misleading. The hints were:

- A small, black box
- Would make my life easier
- Something I'd been wanting for a long time

Naturally, my mind immediately went into overdrive and I began excitedly preparing myself for the proposal, the diamond ring, etc.

It was a laptop battery. :rolleyes:

Haha! That's cute xapora! :D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gayletmom|1292213923|2795345 said:
The weirdest gift I've ever gotten was the year my FIL gave us a toilet plunger. It was not your "average" plunger but one of those with sort of a round rubber ball on the end. He apparently thought this was a very clever invention and wrapped it up with a bow and everything! He's an engineer-can you tell? We didn't know what to think but just said thank you.

I do use it once in a while and it always makes me shake my head.

A toilet plunger...teehee! This is a good one Gayletmom!

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I think this gift from my brother takes the cake. When I opened it, my whole family was howling with laughter and I was laughing so hard I cried.

Photo%20116.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Princesss -- awesome. Love the hat! :cheeky:

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

A wedding "regift" from my DH's cousin. We were in the middle of opening gifts, at our couple's shower, with all of our friends and family around us. I unwrapped the box and it was a pair of candleholders in a box that was torn and taped together with masking tape. Inside the box was the original wedding card to cousin and her DH for all to see.....I was truly embarrassed for all of us!

A parakeet for my 19th birthday from a coworker. I had mentioned that I liked birds and the next thing I knew...there was a live parakeet in a cage sitting on my desk. This bird was MEAN! He bit me and had mites and I was miserable. I took him to a pet store and explained the situation. He found a new home.

Lori

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Okay, I got one gift this year beyond the fabulous shelf liner that is just made of awesome. Hot pink and black fuzzy striped leg warmers! :tongue: Uncle Paul sent me, my SIL, and my step MIL each some leg warmers with virulently eye bruisingly bright color combos. Because I am totally a freak, I busted them out instantly- well, they matched the writing on my tank top, I couldn't resist, right?!

So today I'm wearing the oh so awesome new leg warmers at work. DH, who detests pink in all forms, reluctantly was converted to liking the leg warmers and admitted they were cute yesterday.

The rest of my family soundly rejected their leg warmers, lol. And I'm pretty sure they all think I'm insane for wearing mine and loving them, but then, they're used to me, so maybe not. :bigsmile:

Princesss, I'm pretty sure your hat and my leg warmers would be totally perfect together.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

It's not really a strange gift in any other situation, but we just had our first kid that year. SIL got us a pair of movie ticket gift certificates. We didn't really have free time to go watch a movie then. And it's weird that she didn't think about that since her second kid is 20 days younger than ours. Oh well. I still have the gift certificates. Not that we haven't watched a movie since then, but I always forget about them.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock

A couple years ago for X-mas, my boyfriend's (now ex-)stepmother had quite the gift for me.

It was a cat figurine. (BF and I have 2 cats...which makes the gift reasonable, right? WRONG!)
It was about a foot tall. Hand-painted with bright colors (I think there were also some leopard spots or something...). Adorned with various rhinestones, feathers, etc.
Ugliest thing I've ever seen. And NOT my style at all.
I opened the box and said "Oh...thanks...I love it..."
It stayed in its box in my closet for a year or two until I got up the courage to throw it away.

I'm still not sure if I should think it's funny that she thought I would like it...or offended that she thought I would like it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

ChloeTheGreat|1293466579|2806984 said:
A couple years ago for X-mas, my boyfriend's (now ex-)stepmother had quite the gift for me.

It was a cat figurine. (BF and I have 2 cats...which makes the gift reasonable, right? WRONG!)
It was about a foot tall. Hand-painted with bright colors (I think there were also some leopard spots or something...). Adorned with various rhinestones, feathers, etc.
It stayed in its box in my closet for a year or two until I got up the courage to throw it away.

I'm still not sure if I should think it's funny that she thought I would like it...or offended that she thought I would like it.
Why would you be offended to receive a cat figurine?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock

Swingirl...It was the ugliest thing ever! I can't believe she thought I would like it! That's all I meant by "offended."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Mine is odd, but I SERIOUSLY LOVE IT! My sister got me a tea pot, and you pour the boiling water into it and it has a cup that you put the herbs in, you put the cup in the top and the tea tastes diffuse through the cup into the water. It is clear hand blown glass and is gorgeous. It is totally not a normal gift, and you totally have to be a tea junkie to love it, so:

Hello, my name is Dragonfly, I am a tea junkie, and I love my tea diffusing tea pot :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

dragonfly411|1293510983|2807643 said:
Mine is odd, but I SERIOUSLY LOVE IT! My sister got me a tea pot, and you pour the boiling water into it and it has a cup that you put the herbs in, you put the cup in the top and the tea tastes diffuse through the cup into the water. It is clear hand blown glass and is gorgeous. It is totally not a normal gift, and you totally have to be a tea junkie to love it, so:

Hello, my name is Dragonfly, I am a tea junkie, and I love my tea diffusing tea pot :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Sorry Dragonfly, but I challenge your weirdness. I'm not a tea junkie and I have one. :cheeky: But it is a delightful gift.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FI got me a pink bell this year that says "Ring for Drinks" on it. The clear packaging (box) has some blurbs on the backside that say things like "feeling hungry, need a sandwich? Ring the bell!" and "Feeling sick, need some medicine, Ring the Bell!" I told him I couldn't believe he bought that for me...doesn't he know I will take full advantage of it now? :appl: (P.S. they're available at Pier One for $9.99 in case anyone else needs one. ;))

iLander

Ideal_Rock

ChloeTheGreat|1293466579|2806984 said:

Rhinestones AND feathers? :shock: One or the other is tacky, but both is kind of frightening . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock

princesss|1293390160|2806344 said:
I think this gift from my brother takes the cake. When I opened it, my whole family was howling with laughter and I was laughing so hard I cried.

Photo%20116.jpg

I am totally jealous that, wearing that THING, you still look cute. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results