shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the best value in a 2 ct round stone?

gobble

Rough_Rock
The girl's pushing for a ring and she'd like a 2 ct round stone. I'll apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but where's the best value in something this size? I assume I'd be best off getting something on the color scale that's high enough up the color scale to be colorless but not the best (F/G) and something in clarity that's not perfect but also not visible to the eye? Is there a significant advantage to getting just under the 2 ct weight? I'm sorry I don't know a whole bunch about diamonds at this point.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Best value? To me, it is a well cut G/H SI1/SI2 (eye clean) that narrowly missed the ACA requirement or whatever requirement each vendor has for super-ideal cut stones. I'd look at expert selection and premium select on white flash and some stones (AGS0 and GIA triple ex with a great HCA score) on James Allen and compare ASET or idealscope images. What's your budget?

gobble

Rough_Rock
I'd like to stay below $20k, but don't really have a set budget. I'd spend $30k if I was convinced I was getting a killer deal but would have a hard time spending $20k if it was just an average deal, if that makes any sense.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
gobble|1392690713|3617531 said:
I'd like to stay below $20k, but don't really have a set budget. I'd spend $30k if I was convinced I was getting a killer deal but would have a hard time spending $20k if it was just an average deal, if that makes any sense.

Here are two stones that are cut as well as possible. Either of these are top-notch cuts, from well-vetted vendors.

Low-end of your budget: 2.01ct, I, VS1
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-default&id=40

High-end of your budget: 2.153ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.153-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067041001

gobble

Rough_Rock
I'm sure there's a simple explanation why 2 ct F/G SI2 diamonds are selling on Ebay for $15-20k? They claim to be non-enhanced and the sellers have near perfect feedback.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Are those eBay diamonds certified by AGS or GIA? I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything nice under $20000. Are you willing to go down to I or spend a little more?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

gobble

Rough_Rock
Sakuracherry|1392691688|3617546 said:
Are those eBay diamonds certified by AGS or GIA? I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything nice under $20000. Are you willing to go down to I or spend a little more?

I think most are EGL. I don't know enough yet to know what "nice" is. Can I do better from these online merchants than something like jewelers row in Chicago?

gobble

Rough_Rock
04diamond<3|1392691765|3617547 said:

Wow those are huge. Is true hearts some sort of unusual cut gimmick?

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
EGL is not well respected here. They grades are softer compared to GIA and AGL. I'd avoid EGL certified diamonds if I was buying a round. You can probably do better online. Have you seen GIA graded diamonds in person? You need to no your/your girlfriend's color tolerance level. Some people are fine going down to J while others prefer G or better.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
"true hearts" is the *best* cut in rounds absolutely NOT a "gimmick".......

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If i were going for K colour i would look for a strong florescent stone as long as there is no milky hazy effect.

gobble

Rough_Rock
04diamond<3|1392693346|3617567 said:

I have a lot to learn.

Are there deals to be had in buying "used" and if so where would those be? A diamond is a diamond is a diamond as far as I'm concerned no matter how many others have had it on their finger.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
gobble|1392693878|3617572 said:

I have a lot to learn.

Are there deals to be had in buying "used" and if so where would those be? A diamond is a diamond is a diamond as far as I'm concerned no matter how many others have had it on their finger.

Once in a while you can find a stone that's a "true hearts" stone second had in our "preloved" section in the pricescope cafe under forum..

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

gobble

Rough_Rock
How would I go about putting a real world price on this stone? Someone locally is trying to sell it.

01212_kaugzxrlfha_600x450.jpg

gobble

Rough_Rock
Is there a general rule of thumb for where an appraisal values a stone vs. real world value?

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Appraisal values are generally inflated. I cannot comment on the price of the ring without looking at its certificate.

gobble

Rough_Rock
What if it doesn't have a certificate? Just find a jeweler I trust to examine it and be willing to pay x% of what he/she thinks it's worth?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
gobble|1392758546|3617998 said:
What if it doesn't have a certificate? Just find a jeweler I trust to examine it and be willing to pay x% of what he/she thinks it's worth?

You need a LOT more education. I recommend going back through some old threads and doing a bit of research. If you try to buy now, I think you're going to get taken for a ride, especially considering you have a very generous budget (lucky girl!). I am not an expert, and I know far more about antique stones than I do modern cut stones, but here are some basics for you. Hopefully some of the other more experienced posters will chime in.

For starters, you should be looking at ideal cut diamonds graded by GIA or AGS. The cut is most important aspect of the stone because that's what makes a diamond sparkle (it's all about geometry and light return). Take a look at the HCA calculator (you can find it in the search function) and play around with it. I'd start by pulling up some random stones on jamesallen.com and plugging in the numbers so you can see how all the angles work together to give you the score. You're looking for a score under 2.

From there, you can come back here with a better understanding what you're looking for. Do not take the word of a jeweler on the specs of a stone. Don't rely on EGL. Don't rely on GIA Ex-Ex-Ex (the specifications are too broad). Rely first on AGS 000, then on stones under HCA 2 to pursue further. The posters here typically recommend working with vendors who provide lots of information about the stone because we want to see what we're buying. Idealscope images, ASETs for fancy cuts, etc. There are no deals in the diamond world, and you get what you pay for.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ONly buy a diamond with a GIA or AGL cert. Otherwise you are spending your money on something someone *thinks* is X, Y,Z. I have taken the same time to GIA graduate gemologist and all 3 of them had different specs for my diamond.

Replacement value's are inflated and an appraisal usually isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Do your reading on pricescope and I would buy from a vendor that has a return policey or upgrade policey. Try to getting a deal locally with no knowledge on diamonds is usually not a good idea.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the High Performance Diamond stone.. he's got a sale on settings and it's certed... his work is impeccable. It has some fluoresence.. I think HPD makes beautiful rings... I'd buy it if I had the money. :)

Congrats on getting engaged soon! best of luck.

If I were spending the kind of money you are, I would make sure it was AGL or GIA rated stone.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't buy a modern round brilliant without a certificate unless it's a deal of the century and seller offers a good return policy.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
gobble|1392758546|3617998 said:

Any diamond that size that is a top cut is going to be sent to either GIA or AGS for a grading report, because the seller wants to get top dollar for it and wants "proof" of the dimensions, cut, clarity, color, etc.

Beware of a couple of things:
There are price points and "magical numbers" in the diamond industry and in what consumers perceive as desirable. The 2ct mark is one of those. So is 1.5ct, if you are looking at stones a bit smaller. As you get to the 2ct weight and up, you start to see more diamonds that are cut to retain weight, rather than get the best light-reflecting performance. It's harder to find a well-cut large diamond to begin with, and it's even harder to find one selling at a bargain price! If that 2ct or whatever it was that you looked at doesn't have a grading report, it's most likely because the seller and jeweler know that it's not going to get a very favorable grade from GIA or AGS. How to put a real-world value on it: Make them send it for grading before you'll even consider it.
The other thing to know is that owners / cutters / jewelers / resellers shop grading labs and will send the stone to the lab that will give it the best-sounding report:
AGS is the strictest on cut grade, but perhaps just a bit "soft" (lenient" on color, compared to GIA.
GIA is a bit more lenient on cut grade ( their Excellent includes stones that would not be graded Ex by AGS) but they are strict on color
EGL US is very soft on all of cut, color, and clarity. May be off by 3 or more grades, per some people here. EGL uses the same letters and whatnot, but they define them differently. EGL H can really be a GIA J color. EGL SI2 might be an I1 or I2 anywhere else. And the "SI3" grade is really just a way to distinguish a decent-looking I1 from a worse I1, but it's still an I1 if GIA were grading it.

gobble

Rough_Rock
I decided not to touch it. Too risky and even a jeweler is only guessing to some extent in their appraisal. Nobody locally can really measure the cut, etc. like a GIA grading. Thanks for all the advice.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh, what proof grounded in fact do you have on that? Because that's absolutely not true whatsoever.

gobble

Rough_Rock
Jeweler friends have told me that's just the proportion result of an ideal cut diamond and the "hearts" thing is marketing that the consumer pays extra for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results