shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s in your jewellery library?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
34.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Huh? As in books about jewelry? I''ve only got catalogues from jewelers that I keep for reference, one book on gemstones and several guide books on making beaded jewelry..

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What''s in your library Miss Harriet!?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first gemstone book originally belonged to my dad. . .he LOVED gems and I inherited both his interest and many of his stones. . .

That book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gemstones-World-Walter-Schumann/dp/B000LQH394/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224287607&sr=1-26

In addition, I have an kids' eye witness book on gemstones/minerals, and a GIA one on famous diamonds. . . I may have given the GIA one to the used book store. I ordered it from Amazon and was very disappointed as it only had a few pictures and most of them were in black and white. . .I guess the photos of PS have spoiled me a bit.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 3:19:24 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Huh? As in books about jewelry? I''ve only got catalogues from jewelers that I keep for reference, one book on gemstones and several guide books on making beaded jewelry..
Yes, about jewellery history, whether in general or house specific.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 4:23:30 PM
Author: Miranda
What''s in your library Miss Harriet!?
I have to get the books together. Will report back.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2008 8:03:08 PM
Author: MC
My first gemstone book originally belonged to my dad. . .he LOVED gems and I inherited both his interest and many of his stones. . .

That book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gemstones-World-Walter-Schumann/dp/B000LQH394/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224287607&sr=1-26

In addition, I have an kids'' eye witness book on gemstones/minerals, and a GIA one on famous diamonds. . . I may have given the GIA one to the used book store. I ordered it from Amazon and was very disappointed as it only had a few pictures and most of them were in black and white. . .I guess the photos of PS have spoiled me a bit.
Aw, how nice. That''s a great book to boot.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
One of my favorites is titled Rings Jewelry of Power, Love and Loyalty by Diana Scarsbrick.
It is all about rings starting from Ancient Egypt all the way to the 20th century.

I also have an amazing book all about the Jewelry made by Alexander Calder, and some books on antique jewelry.

I''ll have to look for more, but those are what come to mind.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do. I need help in building my library.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Here are a few that I have (coffee table books, really) and I really enjoy:

Famous Jewelry Collectors
By: Stefano Papi, Alexandra Rhodes

Bejewelled by Tiffany 1837-1987
By: Clare Phillips

Cartier
By: Hans Nadelhoffer

Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

I also have one that I use for reference - its one on antique jewelry (cant find it at this moment)

They make for very interesting and enjoyable reading!

Have fun in your search - I look forward to reading about what you find, and what you think of them.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry library is quite small:

Secrets of the Gem Trade by Richard Wise and Gem Identification Made easy by Matlins & Bonanno.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 11:35:35 AM
Author: HeartingDiamonds

Cartier

I also have one that I use for reference - its one on antique jewelry (cant find it at this moment)

Have fun in your search - I look forward to reading about what you find, and what you think of them.
Hi,
What do you think of the Nadelhoffer edition? I''ve heard that it''s the best on Cartier to date.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I have the "Tiffany Pearls" and "Tiffany Diamonds" books----

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I really recommend "Understanding Jewellery" by David Bennet and Daniela Mascetti, Antique Collectors Club.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! My jewellery (as opposed to my gem) library has:

Bulgari, Triossi and Mascetti.
Cartier, 1899-1959. The Journey of a Style, by Calouste Gulbenkain Foundation.
Faberge: Lost and Found, Snowman,
Jeweled Garden, Tannenbaum and Zapata.
The Jeweled Menagerie, by Tannenbaum and Zapata.
Understanding Jewellry, Bennett and Mascetti.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:38:16 AM
Author: Harriet
Yes! My jewellery (as opposed to my gem) library has:

Bulgari, Triossi and Mascetti.
Cartier, 1899-1959. The Journey of a Style, by Calouste Gulbenkain Foundation.
Faberge: Lost and Found, Snowman,
Jeweled Garden, Tannenbaum and Zapata.
The Jeweled Menagerie, by Tannenbaum and Zapata.
Understanding Jewellry, Bennett and Mascetti.
every library needs my love affair with jewelryby Liz Taylor...its very affordable on the net(half.com)I actually wore out a copy and found a replacement(the $65 hard bound)on the net for $5....also diamonds by eric brutonis a good read...and of course the gems of the Smithsonian is a nice addition that can be had cheap on the net...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
"Understanding Jewelry" sounds good :) I might have to go and get that!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/18/2008 4:55:00 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 10/18/2008 11:35:35 AM

Cartier

Hi,

What do you think of the Nadelhoffer edition? I've heard that it's the best on Cartier to date.

Harriet, I found it to be a very interesting read, and I also heard that it is the best book on Cartier out there, but considering that it is my ONLY Cartier book, I have no point of comparison. My only issue is that I wish they had more photos and illustrations.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
every library needs my love affair with jewelryby Liz Taylor...its very affordable on the net(half.com)I actually wore out a copy and found a replacement(the $65 hard bound)on the net for $5....also diamonds by eric brutonis a good read...and of course the gems of the Smithsonian is a nice addition that can be had cheap on the net...

I agree! It is one of my favorites - just very nice that each piece means something and the little vignettes of her life is a pleasure to read about. Elizabeth Taylor is very knowledgeable about jewelry and I especially love her sentiment that she feels she is merely a custodian of these beautiful jewels, and she is keeping them safe for the next owner who will be wearing them. The pics are TO DIE FOR.

I'll take the Krupp, please!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 12:50:53 PM

I agree! It is one of my favorites - just very nice that each piece means something and the little vignettes of her life is a pleasure to read about. Elizabeth Taylor is very knowledgeable about jewelry and I especially love her sentiment that she feels she is merely a custodian of these beautiful jewels, and she is keeping them safe for the next owner who will be wearing them. The pics are TO DIE FOR.

I''ll take the Krupp, please!
ummm...you cant have the Krupp...that little(33 ct.) gem has been promised to me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, HeartingDiamonds and jewelerman. I''m off to the bookshop.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results