shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s Growing in PSer''s Garden

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Close up of planters........

cms2009garden5.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite planter...

cms2009garden6.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the yellow flowers? Oh and the overflowing beauties on the chair? Wow, those are so beautiful Catmom!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 11:52:57 PM
Author: Gailey
Time for a bit more garden **** I think!

This is Clematis florida sieboldii. It''s my absolute favourite and very hard to obtain in Calgary. Mochi, it''s probably a weed where you are!

If you think I am passionate about day lillies, I am absolutely fanatical about Clematis. Last time I counted I had over 70 varieties in my own little garden! The picture is from a few years ago and I lost that plant, but I found one this week. so I snapped it up in a heartbeat!

Anyone else like Clematis?
Gailey, these are gorgeous!!!
30.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know where to find really great gardenias? I think we want to add a few.

I don''t have photos to add right now, but currently we have a very very large magnolia, two kumquat trees, two potted tomato plants that are throwing TONS of tomatoes, yellow and sunset colored (not sure of strain) roses in the front with cigarette plants (the hummingbirds love them), a blueberry bush that is struggling, and in the backyard we have the pear trees, 10 various varieties of roses (including the climbing tea cup roses which I love), and a small baby orange tree.

Our goals are to have a row of blueberry bushes along one fence line, two or three orange trees, a couple of grapefruit trees, a potted lemon tree, a vegetable garden eventually, and the gardenias, and hopefully a few more hibiscus.

Long term, we want to get down to two or possibly three horses, so that one section of pasture can be turned into an edible landscape with melons, several squash, some grapes, many cherry tomato plants, peas, peanuts, figs, pears, oranges, grapefruit, persimmon, blackberries, strawberries, and I''m hoping I can get some dwarf apples to survive.

Any advice appreciated lol. I''ll find pictures of what we have now later on.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Skippy!!! I''m a bad, BAD gardener. I don''t know what they are.
6.gif
I just buy what I like and don''t really memorize the names so much. Sorry.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Catmom, your garden is beautiful and your lawn is sooooooooooo green.

Mochi, as always your flowers are gorgeous. Good Grief, that one flower is HUGE!!! and it is gorgeous.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 4:27:19 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
megeve,

36.gif
36.gif
to the bourganvillea!! One of my favorite flowers! It cannot be grown in my region. Are you in the southeast?

Oh, and the Oleander! I don''t believe I''ve ever seen Oleander before!!
30.gif
9.gif
36.gif
Yay, I just love love the bourganvillea and the oleander. They don''t need much maintenance!

This holiday home is on a spanish island in the mediterranean sea called Mallorca. It has a hot dry sub-tropical climate, so the bourganvillea, oleander, hibiscus and all kinds of succulents thrive well here.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:00:29 AM
Author: mochi

Date: 6/11/2009 4:32:32 PM
Author: packrat
I''ve never seen Oleander before either-it''s very pretty! Does it have a scent?

Yes, they have a soft/sweet scent. I love the smell. It comes in variety of colors and it can be a small bush to really, really tall plant. (I really need to get some of these).
Like mochi said, mine has a very faint sweet scent.

mochi, you should get some, I presume they will thrive well in Florida, too. We get to see some pics of them, next year?
1.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:45:19 AM

Date: 6/11/2009 2:12:39 PM
Author: megeve
I have several flowering plants in my garden, heres the Oleander.....
I love your flowers...I''m ashamed to say I don''t have any hibiscus, oleander or bourganvillea in my yard...
20.gif
I really need to add these to my list of plant needs for sure, I know they grow well here in Florida.

Love your landscaping, it''s gorgeous. Mine is all over the place, LOL!

Here is another picture of the papaya tree just for you. Excuse my DH''s back ground art....
36.gif
36.gif
3.gif
YAY!!!!!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Here some red hisbicus....

gartenmalle 001.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
white hibiscus.....

gartenmalle 004.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
and some white bourganvillea....

gartenmalle 003.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:54:53 AM
This a mystery asian veggie flower. I had all the intention of labeling when I planted the seed but forgot..
14.gif
Thats a zucchini plant, a variety of squash having an elongated shape and a smooth, thin, dark green rind. Pretty tasty in italian cuisine!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:46:37 AM
I noticed more papaya''s on it this morning. I''m really concerned because the tree is so small diameter wise and I don''t know if it''s strong enough to hold the papayas.
mochi, I used to have 2 papaya trees 30 yrs ago in my home country. They were very tall (4m) but also skinny and they used to bear a lot of fruits. After a while the top parts of the trees were bent but were still strong and holding. Since yours is still quite young, it might help with some rope support?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:06:06 AM
Author: Skippy123
What are the yellow flowers? Oh and the overflowing beauties on the chair? Wow, those are so beautiful Catmom!!!!
Hey Skippy,

The yellow flowers are an annual (where I live anyhow!) called Bidens ferulifolia

I''ve had a week from hell here in Calgary. I don''t know if I''m going to go mad or broke, or both! We''ve had snow (last Saturday), two nights of frost and hail that has just decimated all the annuals that I''ve planted (but haven''t had time to send bills out for).

Should have become a hooker when I still had the body for it!

Thanks to all that have posted lovely pictures this week, you''ve all cheered me up so much. Mochi, those Brugmansias are just huge! I daren''t look at the one I planted for one of my customers, I bet it looks like chopped salad!

Mind you, not all bad, I do have about a dozen varieties of clematis in bloom at the moment. I''ve taken a bunch of photos and I''ll try and get to uploading them over the weekend, but I''m working tomorrow and most of Sunday.

No rest for the wicked!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Megeve, you have such a riot of colour going on, I am so jealous! I especially love the Oleander. My girlfriend has had a potted one for years that she brings outside for a brief visit in the summer.

Worth pointing out to those who would like one but do not know about them that they are extremely toxic. Keep away from pets and small children etc.

Megeve, can we see some pictures of some of your things in long shots to see some more of your garden.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:45:19 AM

I love your flowers...I''m ashamed to say I don''t have any hibiscus, oleander or bourganvillea in my yard...
20.gif
I really need to add these to my list of plant needs for sure, I know they grow well here in Florida.

Love your landscaping, it''s gorgeous. Mine is all over the place, LOL!

Here is another picture of the papaya tree just for you. Excuse my DH''s back ground art....
Mochi, that fence is screaming out for something to cover it. If planting something to do that is an option I''ll come up with some suggestions for you.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:57:02 AM
Pretty little pink volunteer...
And that pretty pink volunteer could volunteer in my garden any time it likes!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:58:24 AM
from this flower.
Wow, what is that Mochi? Can I see a longer shot?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:33:00 AM
Author: Catmom
Gosh, I just LOVE all these garden pics!! They are all so varied but gorgeous.
30.gif

It is finally a nice day here so I thought I would take a few pics of mine. It has been so cold and rainy for weeks now but everything has been growing like weeds. Here''s my front garden.....
Catmom,

I wish I could garden like you. I always start off all neat like you, but then I just head towards wild and overgrown before you can say "prune me"!

Here''s an example of what I mean. One of my clematis that is supposed to get it''s roots shaded by the Alchemilla mollis below, seems to prefer scrambling amongst it as opposed to sitting neatly on it''s trellis above.

clematis and alchemila mollis 02.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 9:34:46 AM
Here''s the side garden leading to the back...
See, your arch is all neat and tidy - here''s mine. By the end of September we have to abandon trying to get through it to the front door and head through the garage!

gailey arch.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 10:44:30 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Does anyone know where to find really great gardenias? I think we want to add a few.

I don''t have photos to add right now, but currently we have a very very large magnolia, two kumquat trees, two potted tomato plants that are throwing TONS of tomatoes, yellow and sunset colored (not sure of strain) roses in the front with cigarette plants (the hummingbirds love them), a blueberry bush that is struggling, and in the backyard we have the pear trees, 10 various varieties of roses (including the climbing tea cup roses which I love), and a small baby orange tree.

Our goals are to have a row of blueberry bushes along one fence line, two or three orange trees, a couple of grapefruit trees, a potted lemon tree, a vegetable garden eventually, and the gardenias, and hopefully a few more hibiscus.

Long term, we want to get down to two or possibly three horses, so that one section of pasture can be turned into an edible landscape with melons, several squash, some grapes, many cherry tomato plants, peas, peanuts, figs, pears, oranges, grapefruit, persimmon, blackberries, strawberries, and I''m hoping I can get some dwarf apples to survive.

Any advice appreciated lol. I''ll find pictures of what we have now later on.
Dragonfly,

Monrovia is a grower that has beautiful gardenias. Contact them and ask them to refer you to a garden centre in your area and get them to order one in for you.

Your project sounds lovely, and think of all that valuable horse doo-doo, make sure you compost it and you''ll have a garden to die for!
Good luck!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 3:21:48 PM

Date: 6/11/2009 4:27:19 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
megeve,

36.gif
36.gif
to the bourganvillea!! One of my favorite flowers! It cannot be grown in my region. Are you in the southeast?

Oh, and the Oleander! I don''t believe I''ve ever seen Oleander before!!
30.gif
9.gif
36.gif
Yay, I just love love the bourganvillea and the oleander. They don''t need much maintenance!

This holiday home is on a spanish island in the mediterranean sea called Mallorca. It has a hot dry sub-tropical climate, so the bourganvillea, oleander, hibiscus and all kinds of succulents thrive well here.
Duh, should have guessed you were mediterranean! I bet Basil grows like a weed for you. Haven''t managed to grow any yet!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 3:59:42 PM

Date: 6/12/2009 8:54:53 AM
This a mystery asian veggie flower. I had all the intention of labeling when I planted the seed but forgot..
14.gif
Thats a zucchini plant, a variety of squash having an elongated shape and a smooth, thin, dark green rind. Pretty tasty in italian cuisine!
Surely you must mean courgette????

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Linda!!

Date: 6/13/2009 1:48:48 AM

Date: 6/12/2009 9:33:00 AM
Gosh, I just LOVE all these garden pics!! They are all so varied but gorgeous.
30.gif

It is finally a nice day here so I thought I would take a few pics of mine. It has been so cold and rainy for weeks now but everything has been growing like weeds. Here''s my front garden.....
Catmom,

I wish I could garden like you. I always start off all neat like you, but then I just head towards wild and overgrown before you can say ''prune me''!

Here''s an example of what I mean. One of my clematis that is supposed to get it''s roots shaded by the Alchemilla mollis below, seems to prefer scrambling amongst it as opposed to sitting neatly on it''s trellis above.
Neat and tidy?? I wouldn''t exactly call mine neat and tidy, LOL. I have a clematis that decided to grow on the ground in the middle of one of my gardens. I don''t know how it got there but it seems to love being in the full sun.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 1:51:02 AM

See, your arch is all neat and tidy - here''s mine. By the end of September we have to abandon trying to get through it to the front door and head through the garage!
I love your arch!! I didn''t show you the one I have in my back yard........it beats yours out by a mile for being crazy, wisteria and some other crazy vine. I also didn''t show my trumpet vine because it isn''t blooming yet but here is a shot from two years ago. It''s now growing up the other side as well. Pretty soon I won''t have a house left.

cmsTrumpet Vine 2007.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 9:54:00 AM

Date: 6/13/2009 1:51:02 AM

I love your arch!! I didn''t show you the one I have in my back yard........it beats yours out by a mile for being crazy, wisteria and some other crazy vine. I also didn''t show my trumpet vine because it isn''t blooming yet but here is a shot from two years ago. It''s now growing up the other side as well. Pretty soon I won''t have a house left.

Wah, can''t grow Wisteria or Campsis here -

emcry.gif

Two of my favourites. Your garage looks amazing with the Campsis growing all over it. Only very, very rarely do you see a house covered in any kind of vine here, whereas in the back home in the UK, it was commonplace. I used to Mr Gailey to look for a Wisteria for sale with a house attached! I did think about training a standard Wisteria in a pot. I saw one once at the Chelsea Flower Show years ago. Perhaps that will be a project for retirement.

My Aunt used to live a red brick, turn of the century cottage in the south of England with Campsis growing over the door, she''s swapped that for a French cottage with Wisteria growing over her front door. Might have a piccy somewhere. Will look when I have more time - off to work as soon as I''ve eaten my porrige!

Here''s a picture of Aunty outside her front door - how cool to have a patio right outside your front door. I like the way they do things in the French countryside.

annie on patio.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 1:58:48 AM

Date: 6/12/2009 3:21:48 PM
Duh, should have guessed you were mediterranean! I bet Basil grows like a weed for you. Haven''t managed to grow any yet!
Gailey, thanks for your compliment! Coming from you is such a special honour!
9.gif

We are packing up today and flying off very early tommorrow monrning, so I took a few quick pics for you. No basil, it needs too much water and this island is just too rocky (lousy soil), hot and dry. For easy maintenance, as we are not here all the time, I find oleander, bourganvillea, hibiscus, succulent to name a few could survive without much water. But I do have rosemarin......

Mallegarden 006.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Rows of oleander with the intense pink bourganvillea, view coming down the drive way....

Mallegarden 004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results