shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I am drooling. And I'm really happy to find other people who love goat cheese! I had to stop myself from choosing every goat cheese option my caterer had to offer.

Octavia, I just had my tasting with Sage last Friday. It was amazing! My menu isn't quite finalized yet, but, um, we have another 20 months! ha! Did you end up going with the mini pastry option at the end? I am still trying to decide whether or not we should do it.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Yay Lioness! How is all your planning coming along? Did you try any of the things on my menu? I''m kind of sad that we''ve already done our tasting because I REALLY don''t want to wait until October to stuff myself full of Peking duck rolls and beefs en croute and classed-up mac n'' cheese. It''s a good thing my dress is corset-style because I might need my bridesmaids to loosen it up once I start eating...
9.gif
I don''t think we''ll do mini pastries, though, because we''ve already got SO much food, and it''s lunch so I''m not sure people will be as into dessert as with dinner receptions.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We''re having the following menu, based partially on our own preferences, partially on what we think the guests will eat. (Notice there is no chicken--I am not a poultry person!) We arrived at this menu after some back-and-forth with our caterer and having tasted a bunch of different things they offered. The cake was decided on separately, but also meshes our favorites with what we think will appeal to everyone.

Variety of passed hors d''oeuvres, including baked brie and rasperry pastries, stuffed mushrooms, teriyaki meatballs, and a bunch more I can''t remember

Freshly-baked bread

Salad of baby greens, arugula, and pears with balsamic vinaigrette

Ginger Salmon Filet with Ginger Soy Glaze and Mandarin Oranges
or Grilled Top Sirloin in Rosemary-Garlic Oil with Horseradish Demiglace

Au Gratin Potatoes

Grilled Vegetables

Cake--chocolate fudge with fresh raspberry filling, white with lemon curd filling, and tiramisu

modernsparkler

Brilliant_Rock
This is fun! I just hope we get to EAT the food we have spent so much time picking out! We had a blast at our tasting and couldn''t believe how HUGE the portions will be. No one will be hungry :) The presentations were also important to us and we were awed at our tasting! I guess we chose both things that we would like but also that our guests would enjoy.

Appetizers-
Spanikopita (a nod to my Greek side of the family) - very authentic tasting
Bacon wrapped SEa Scallops
Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce

Dinner-
Organic greens salad with sliced apple, roquefort, and a carmalized shallot champagne dressing
Choice of- prime rib (see pic cause this was HUGE and after we had tasted a few bites) or salmon (a must for the Pacific NW)
with herb roasted potatoes and seasonal veggies

Cake-
White wedding cake- white chocoate cake filed with a vanilla bean creme frache pastry cream and white chocolate mousse
Chocolate orange cake- dark chocolate cake drizzled with Grand Marnier syrup with an orange-dark chocolate mousee enriched with candied orange bits!

prime rib smaller.jpg

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
We got to try a few things on your menu, Octavia (I am in LOVE with the sweet potato cheesecake). I have already made it clear that I must eat at the wedding, under all circumstances!

This is our menu so far (although it may still go through some changes). With both moms being Italian, they were both looking at me like I was nuts for getting rid fo the extra dessert option! We''re doing a Sunday afternoon wedding, so we''re not sure how much is too much (but don''t want to underdo it since the food will be the main attraction):

Butlered Hors D’ Oeuvres
Gorgonzola and Fig Tart
Wonderfully robust cheese with a calming fig mascarpone in a flakey pastry
Beef en Croute (might change this to lamb chops)
Perfectly cooked filet, wrapped in puff pastry and mushroom duxelle with a mild horseradish sauce
Margherita
Mini grilled Bruschetta with sun dried tomato, four cheeses, fresh
pesto and Extra virgin olive oil
Lump Crab Cakes
Served with avocado aioli
Chicken Sate
Marinated grilled chicken with a tangy hoi sin glaze, sesame seeds on a sugar cane stick
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Savory and sweet flavors blended together in this seasonal treat that is topped with goat cheese and candied pistachios
Fish and Chips
Pan seared sea bass, served on a waffle sliced potato chip with malt vinegar aioli
Smoked Salmon
Wild Irish smoked salmon, served on fresh baked soda bread with a lemon dill sauce

Stationary Hors D’ Oeuvres
The Brie
Creamy warmed Imported French Brie topped with homemade apricot preserves and sugar spiced nuts, served with crackers and soft breads

Classic Antipasto
Beautiful combination of true Italian delights: cured Sopresata, Prosciutto, Asiago, fresh mozzarella cheese, Feta Cheese, grilled zucchini, fennel, artichokes, sweet peppers and marinated imported olives, dolmas, pepa dews,
Traditional and Kalamata olive hummus
All served with grilled pita bread and polenta

Entrée Stations

Americana Station

Tenderloin of Beef
Marinated in garlic and herbs, peppercorn crusted then slow grilled to a perfect medium rare. Served with rosemary infused demi glace or creamy horseradish sauce
Wild mushroom risotto
Served with Parmigiano Reggiano
Veggie Tower
Layers of grilled vegetables and pesto ricotta on top of an Asiago risotto cake
Autumn Greens (The chef thinks we may not need this option)
Baby greens with honey roasted cashews, crisp Bosc pears, goat cheese and
honey cherry vinaigrette
Crusty Rolls and Butter

Smashed Potato Martini Bar
Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes or Smashed Sweet Potatoes served in a martini glass with your choice of topping:
~Grilled Vegetable Ragout~
Vibrant grilled vegetables in a fresh tomato basil sauce

~Chicken Pot Pie~

~Seafood Newberg~
Rock Shrimp and sea scallops in a creamy lobster sauce

Asian Extravaganza
~Chilean Sea Bass~
Pan seared sea bass with a Thai chili infused beurre blanc on Edamame puree and chive wheat berry salad
~Chinese Take-Out~
Glazed Udon noodles with fresh Oriental vegetables, served in a take-out box
with chop sticks. Awesome presentation!
~Sushi ~
An awesome display of Fresh Sushi and Rolls

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I salivate every time I think of our meal...it was very simple, but the taste was amazing and it looked beautiful on the plate.

Cocktail hour:
Marbled Display of Fine Cheeses
Gorgonzola with Spiced Pecans, Smoked Gouda,
Double Creme Brie with Sun Dried Tomato Relish,
White Cheddar and Fresh Chevres with Raspberry Coulis
Crisp Flatbreads and Assorted Crackers
Flour Tortilla Crisps (these were homemade out of almost a flatbread...omg good)
Garden Tomato Salsa

Dinner:
House Caesar Salad
Rosemary Roasted Red Potatoes
Fresh green beans with julienned red peppers
Asiago and spinach stuffed breast of chicken with mustard cream
Warm soft rolls and butter
Iced tea, water, and coffee

And the same caterer did our rehearsal dinner. We wanted a really "midwest" meal, and so we asked for our favorites. It tasted ALMOST as good as my grandma''s, which is saying a LOT!

Rehearsal Dinner:
BBQ pulled pork on fresh sesame buns
Baked macaroni and cheese
Sour cream potato salad
Red vinegar cole slaw
Apple Pie
Iced tea and Lemonade

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yummy...You guys are totally inspiring me to go look at restaurants...

E B

Ideal_Rock
This thread is making my mouth water.
18.gif

We had (from memory):

Mixed Greens with Walnuts, Mandarin Oranges and Raspberry Vinaigrette
Pecan Crusted Chicken
Beef Tenderloin Medallions
Stuffed Tomatoes
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Grilled Seasonal Vegetables
Assorted Breads

...and our cake was vanilla filled with fresh strawberries and cream. People LOVED it.

I think it's important for a wedding menu to reflect the taste of the bride and groom while offering choices a variety of people might like.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
for Cocktail Hour:
**Mirror of Domestic and
Imported Cheeses or
**Vegetable Crudite with Variety of Dips
Spinach and Goat Cheese Flatbread
Dates Wrapped in Bacon (can''t have scallops, FI aunt allergic to all seafood) but dates in bacon are amazing!
Marinated Chicken Satay
Spanikopita

First Course:
Fresh Fruit Supreme

Second Course:
Mixed Garden Greens

Main Course:
Breast of Chicken, Brie & Apples
Dessert: w/cake
Chocolate- Vanilla Bon Bon

Our package comes with the all appetizers and we chose the chicken honestly based on cost. we couldn''t affod the beefs and can''t have seafood.
: ) i hope everyone loves it!

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
We are having:
Hors D''oeurves, which we haven''t decided on for sure yet
Mixed Garden Salad with Raspberry Viniagrette or Italian
Choice of:
Old English Pot Roast with carrots and onions
Dijon Chicken
Sides of garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans

And wedding cake for dessert!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For dinner on our wedding night...we ordered in Chinese!
3.gif
We were too exhausted to do anything else!

But at our actual wedding lunch...(Vegetarian menu at Green''s Restaurant in San Francisco):

Drinks
Mimosas
Alma Rosa ''Santa Rita Hills'' Pinot Blanc 2006
(organically farmed)
Scott Harvey ''Mountain Selection'' Syrah 2004, Amador
Trumer Pils
Anchor Steam
Bison Brewery Organic IPA
San Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water
Lemonade
Raspberry Lemonade
Mango Iced Tea
IBC Root Beer
IBC Cream Soda
Coffee and Tea

Appetizer

Mesquite grilled polenta with heirloom tomatoes,
basil, mountain gorgonzola, crisp shallots and wild arugula

We also had a passed amuse bouche type appetizer which were little potato latkes with mango salsa...YUM YUM YUM.

Choice of Entrée

Soft tacos on corn tortillas with corn, butternut
squash, grilled onions, poblano chilies, cilantro,
Rancho Gordo beans, Cabot cheddar, shredded
romaine, fire roasted salsa and crème fraiche

OR

Brochettes of peppers, mushrooms, marinated tofu,
white corn, butterball potatoes, red onions with
pumpkin seed basmati rice and chipotle vinaigrette

Dessert

Kara’s Cupcakes-
Ghirardelli Chocolate
Sweet Vanilla
Banana Caramel-banana cupcake with caramel filling and silky cream cheese frosting
Meyer Lemony-Lemon vanilla cupcake with a tart lemon filling and lemon buttercream
Fleur Del Sel-chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, ganache frosting& fleur del sel- SO SO GOOD.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 4:57:42 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Since when do you decide against goat cheese?

And what do you eat with it anyway?
I decide against goat cheese when I have a baggie of Thin Mints staring me in the face and I just swam 1/2 a mile so I''m starving!

I eat it with rye crackers. My preferred brand is Ryvita.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 9:32:00 AM
Author: neatfreak
For dinner on our wedding night...we ordered in Chinese!
3.gif
We were too exhausted to do anything else!

But at our actual wedding lunch...(Vegetarian menu at Green''s Restaurant in San Francisco):

Drinks
Mimosas
Alma Rosa ''Santa Rita Hills'' Pinot Blanc 2006
(organically farmed)
Scott Harvey ''Mountain Selection'' Syrah 2004, Amador
Trumer Pils
Anchor Steam
Bison Brewery Organic IPA
San Pellegrino Sparkling Mineral Water
Lemonade
Raspberry Lemonade
Mango Iced Tea
IBC Root Beer
IBC Cream Soda
Coffee and Tea

Appetizer

Mesquite grilled polenta with heirloom tomatoes,
basil, mountain gorgonzola, crisp shallots and wild arugula

We also had a passed amuse bouche type appetizer which were little potato latkes with mango salsa...YUM YUM YUM.

Choice of Entrée

Soft tacos on corn tortillas with corn, butternut
squash, grilled onions, poblano chilies, cilantro,
Rancho Gordo beans, Cabot cheddar, shredded
romaine, fire roasted salsa and crème fraiche

OR

Brochettes of peppers, mushrooms, marinated tofu,
white corn, butterball potatoes, red onions with
pumpkin seed basmati rice and chipotle vinaigrette

Dessert

Kara’s Cupcakes-
Ghirardelli Chocolate
Sweet Vanilla
Banana Caramel-banana cupcake with caramel filling and silky cream cheese frosting
Meyer Lemony-Lemon vanilla cupcake with a tart lemon filling and lemon buttercream
Fleur Del Sel-chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, ganache frosting& fleur del sel- SO SO GOOD.
Neat everytime I hear about your wedding I think "Wow, I would have LOVED to go to that one!" It just sounds so... neat? hehe Perhaps its because I totally love your wedding pics and secretly still with FI and I were going to get married in the Napa/San Fran area. At least we will be heading there for our honeymoon.

Your menu sounds like the tastiest vegetarian food ever! Packed full of flavor.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Right now we have four passed hor d''ouevres:
Shrimp chopsticks w/ ginger soy dipping sauce
Black bean spring rolls w/soy dipping sauce
Mini Cuban sandwiches w/ mojo dipping sauce
Parmesan breaded artichoke hears w/ basil aioli

Soup TBD (* we''re still debating if October in WPB is too hot to drink soup. The reception is indoors though)

Entree:
Chicken Oscar Roulade, stuffed w/ jumbo lump crabmeat served with bearnaise sauce
OR
Prime rib, au jus

Both accompanied with oven roasted red potatoes & baby veggies.

Cake TBD
Chocolate fountain (FI''s request)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 3:38:37 PM
Author:FrekeChild
...on your wedding night?
Pecan Crusted Breast of Chicken, with light mushroom sauce
Freshly baked sourdough rolls
Steamed asparagus, marinated in balsamic vinaigrette
Grilled vegetables
Rotelli pasta salad
Field green salad with choice of dressings and toppings
Fruit platter
Marinated mushrooms
Pasta with tomato/basil sauce
Pasta with creamy alfredo
Sauteed pasta in white wine/garlic sauce

(buffet)

Why are you having that? How did you decide what to have? Did you go for what you and your FI like or what you think your guests would like?
Catering was part of the package deal with our venue, so we had a limited number of choices (here''s a link to my thread on that, if you''re interested). We asked some friends and family for opinions but picked what sounded the best to us, in the end.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Everyone''s menus sound amazing. I wish our venue/caterer offered tastings, but they don''t, so we just had to go by what sounded good.
20.gif
It also would have been nice to have more variety in our menu, but we had a budget to consider (our venue has an in-house caterer who is a little expensive...maybe because everything is local & organic...?).

We will be serving beer, wine, and a signature cocktail (lemon drop with chambord, topped off with champagne).

Passed Hors D''Oeuvres:
-Smoked trout and spicy romesco crostini with wild arugula and toasted hazelnuts
-Prather ranch sliders on mini brioche buns with carmalized onions and basil aioli
-Artisan cheese platters with seasonal fruits, nuts, and baguette

Salad:
-County Line arugula salad with haas avacado, cara cara orange, toasted almonds and citrus-mint and kaffir lime vinaigrette

Entree (served family style):
-Red wine braised short ribs on rainbow chard and herb gremoulade
-Spring risotto with fresh shelled peas and favas
-Grilled and marinated vegetable platter of eggplant, fennel, zuccini, roasted red peppers, and tomatoes

Cake (iced with buttercream):
-White cake with 2 different chocolate mousses
-White cake with passionfruit mousse and fresh raspberries
-Coffee service

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooo, these menus look so good!!!

I can''t remember my appetizers, except that I couldn''t get the proscuitto wrapped figs stuffed with goat cheese (yes, more goat cheese) b/c they weren''t in season (so sad)...so I''ll list the main courses themselves:

1st course:
Organic mixed green salad with smoked grapes, blue cheese wedge, roasted cinnamon walnuts, and sliced fuji apples

2nd course:
Striped seared bass over a shitake mushroom and pea shoot salad with saffron mussel jus (oh yes, there are mussels in that succulent broth) or,
brioche encrusted petite filet mignon over braised ox tail and roasted bone marrow or,
eggplant terrine with fontina cheese, roasted zucchini and curry tomato sauce. All 3 were the bomb!

3rd course: wedding cake :)

We decided to splurge on food - Elaine Bell is supposed to be this fantastic caterer originally from the Napa/Sonoma Valleys, who likes to use sustainable, organic, and local ingredients whenever possible. Surprisingly, it wasn''t as expensive as we thought it would be, and we liked the idea of supporting local farms :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results