• New York Steak, grilled with peppercorn sauce

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Fresh Salmon, seared and baked with olive oil, herbs and lemon

• Egg Pasta Goat Cheese Ravioli, with florentine basil marinara

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our venue's buffets always include the following:

Freshly baked sourdough rolls
Steamed asparagus, marinated in balsamic vinaigrette
Grilled vegetables
Rotelli pasta salad
Field green salad with choice of dressings and toppings
Fruit platter
Marinated mushrooms
Pasta with tomato/basil sauce
Pasta with creamy alfredo
Sauteed pasta in white wine/garlic sauce

...but we're allowed only one main dish selection (additionals are $5/guest). Please vote for what you'd choose to serve as the ONLY entree at your wedding, not what you'd personally like to eat
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I always forget to add a "see results" option!

Please tell me why you chose what you did, as well as voting
1.gif

Here are our concerns for each one:

Pecan crusted chicken: nut allergies ? this sounds the yummiest FI and I, though
Chicken with artichoke: people who don't like artichokes
Prime rib: red meat's not so popular amongst southern californians (everyone's about one propaganda video away from vegetarianism)... at least in our group, anyway
New York Steak: same as prime rib
Salmon: people who don't like fish
Egg pasta w/ goat cheese: people who don't like goat cheese (including ME), and people who will be expecting a meat option. Plus, there's really no need for yet ANOTHER pasta dish!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I went for chicken, but was torn between that and steak with peppercorn sauce. Mmmm. I also would go for the goat cheese ravioli, but that's because I can't get enough goat cheese!!!
30.gif
Since there's already 2 pasta dishes included, I would leave that one out. My .02!

Sounds really good!
18.gif

ETA: I guess 3 pastas if you count the salad too.
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally if I was eating it, I''d love the salmon but then as you said, a lot of people won''t eat fish. I''d probably go for the chicken. Nearly everyone eats chicken. Hopefully no one will have nut allergies.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the steak, but I love steak. So that''d be why. May not work for your group.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify, please vote for what you'd choose to serve as the ONLY entree at your wedding, not what you'd personally like to eat
2.gif
Those generally are pretty different things!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see why you need 5 dishes with pasta...And it still falls under first courses to me, not main course, so I''d ex the last one.

LegalGal

Rough_Rock
The pecan chicken gets my vote as well because I think it''s universally liked. My second choice would be the steak because I''m not a fan of salmon or goat cheese.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm not a huge red meat eater (I like it in some forms but I have issues with steak). Aside from the two red meat options, everything else sounds delicious -- it was hard to choose. I ultimately chose the pecan chicken because it sounded like something that I wouldn't really make on my own (I could but I might not think of it). I also like the sound of the goat cheese pasta dish, but as you mentioned, there's already a few pasta dishes being served. I LOVE salmon but I can make that any time.

ETA: Just saw your clarification, Musey. My vote's still the same though, with salmon in a close second. I would think the pecan chicken would be the safest option for guests. If anyone does have nut allergies, chances are they can still have plenty to choose from with the standard items that the venue includes in the buffet.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 5:44:10 PM
Author: musey
Just to clarify, please vote for what you''d choose to serve as the ONLY entree at your wedding, not what you''d personally like to eat
2.gif

Oops, sorry! My vote is still the same though.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 5:50:52 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 4/16/2008 5:44:10 PM
Author: musey
Just to clarify, please vote for what you''d choose to serve as the ONLY entree at your wedding, not what you''d personally like to eat
2.gif

Oops, sorry! My vote is still the same though.
Ditto! And I agree with Zoe that even with a nut allergy, there''s tons of other food to choose from.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think chicken is your safest bet, but I chose the chicken with artichoke, because I''m not a fan of anything mushroom, and I know I''m not alone...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t vote. I have the same issue that you were having. I don''t eat meat (and didn''t serve any at our wedding). As a vegetarian I think that there should always be an option of a veggie main or else I have nothing to eat! But it seems like the other options are fairly wide spread so I''d pig out on those (as long I could chose my portion size) and not particularly care if there was a veggie option. Plus, you''re right, another pasta just sounds too much.

So if I could eat tons of sides and skip having a main and it were my wedding (this is hard, I wouldn''t serve something I couldn''t eat as the only main at my own wedding!)...I''d poll my friends and let a meat eater pick. Most likely chicken though, I guess. I don''t know anyone who refuses to eat chicken so to me it seems like the safest choice.

If I couldn''t eat as many sides as I wanted and create my own meal from sides, I''d choose the veggie option.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Whoo hoo! My first time posting in the bride section....
9.gif
( I just couldn't help myself! I LOVE food
16.gif
)

I think chicken is your best bet. Personally I would go for salmon but a lot of people do not like seafood. I think some people are not fond of red meat also...I'm one of them. I chose chicken with artichoke.....you have a lot of appetizers so I wouldn't worry...mmmmmm...must go eat now...

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the Artichoke chicken.
Because... I agree with your logic and expanded on that in blue:

Pecan crusted chicken: nut allergies ?
Chicken with artichoke: people who don''t like artichokes -- They can pick them out, where as if people are allergic to nuts they cannot pick them out (nut oil stays in the food)
Prime rib: red meat''s not so popular amongst southern californians
New York Steak: same as prime rib
Salmon: people who don''t like fish
Egg pasta w/ goat cheese: people who don''t like goat cheese (including ME), and people who will be expecting a meat option. Plus, there''s really no need for yet ANOTHER pasta dish!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I chose chicken with artichoke because I know a lot of people who don''t like mushrooms. Either chicken dish would be fine though, I think you should get what sounds the best to you and your FI!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Chicken is so "seminar dinner" to me. Every time I have a business dinner the entree is always chicken. I refer to it as hotel chicken. For a wedding I''d have elegant prime rib. Non meat eaters will have several pasta dishes to choose from.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 7:52:23 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Chicken is so 'seminar dinner' to me. Every time I have a business dinner the entree is always chicken. I refer to it as hotel chicken. For a wedding I'd have elegant prime rib. Non meat eaters will have several pasta dishes to choose from.
Interesting, I never would have thought of that in regards to chicken vs. beef. I think of salmon as the more elegant dish, but beef always makes me think of peanut shells on the floor
3.gif
(probably not fair to beef, it's a health-crazed California influence I think)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the chicken. I know a lot of people who won''t eat red meat and others who won''t eat fish, but only the vegiess I know won''t eat chicken. As much as I love mushrooms, they do have a noticable flavor and being in the sauce it can''t just be picked out whereas the artichoke can and has a more mild flavor.
I should add that I know a LOT of people, myself included, who hate goat cheese and another pasta with no meat really is overkill.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I went with the Pecan crusted chicken... sounds good and a little different than a typical roasted chicken.

Chicken with artichoke: I love artichokes but you already have some white/cream sauces.
Prime rib: I really despise rare or medium meat... for those like me, that''s a disgusting option. Don''t like horseradish either.
yucky.gif

New York Steak: I like a good steak and love peppercorns (I''m from So.Cal.
shhh1.gif
)
Salmon:
face22.gif
... nuff said.
Egg pasta w/ goat cheese: Eggsactly... no need for another pasta.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I know I''m the minority opinion, but I''d say the prime rib. It just sounds like the most "expensive" or "fancy" option. And those who don''t eat red meat have plenty of other things to eat.

I agree with purfectpear - chicken is so boring.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
chicken is always your safest bet with a picky crowd because most people eat it, and if you like the first one, go with it regardless of nut allergies--it''s not like you don''t have a plethora of pasta items for the anti-pecan people..that wasn''t intentionally that many p''s, just for the record. oh, and all this is coming from someone who is violently allergic to pecans. good luck!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i think everyone in my area would appreciate the steak most, but if that wouldn''t be a big crowd pleaser in your town then i would go for the artichoke chicken. i agree with the others that the mushroom flavor is a lot stronger (and a lot grosser imo!) than artichoke and a lot harder to get rid of while salvaging the chicken (can you tell i''ve dissected my fair share of chicken dinners?). i agree that chicken is boring and i would way prefer the prime rib or steak, but you gotta cater to your audience!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I voted steak but I''m craving red meat right now.

E B

Ideal_Rock
We had pecan crusted chicken and people loved it, so it gets my vote! Though they all sound delicious, I think more people will eat chicken than beef or fish.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for "the other" chicken. I am concerned about nut allergies, and if you have a nut dish, cross contamination in the kitchen could happen. While it is ABSOLUTELY true that people with severe allergies do know it and are very careful, it''s not something I''d risk.

You can always avoid artichokes if you don''t like them... and I haven''t heard of anyone being allergic to them. Plus if your in CA, not eating artichokes ... well, it''s not a very CA thing, is it? LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2008 8:49:38 PM
Author: basil
I know I''m the minority opinion, but I''d say the prime rib. It just sounds like the most ''expensive'' or ''fancy'' option. And those who don''t eat red meat have plenty of other things to eat.

I agree with purfectpear - chicken is so boring.
This is also a great point. Although I think the NY steak, IMO, is the most ''expensive" and "fancy"-- I think the prime rib lends itself best to a buffet. SO I''m CHANGING my vote!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE prime rib, but..... I do NOT like it rare. I always ask for an end cut. I know, I am crazy right!!!
9.gif
I also love creamy horseradish sauce.

The pecan crusted chicken sounds yummmmmmmmmmmmmy, as does the chicken with artichokes. Yes, I am in California!!

Salmon??
14.gif
I don''t like it, but my hubby loves it.

Linda

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like I''m the odd one out, I chose Salmon because I thought chicken was boring. I didn''t choose either of the red meats because I can''t eat it unless at least medium-well done, seriously can''t stand it if still a little rare, and would assume lots of people might like their meat cooked different ways. I thought another pasta wasn''t necessary.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I chose Pecan Chicken mainly for the fact most people like chicken but I was torn between that and NY peppercorn steak. Either one of those would be what I would serve :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results