shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you suggest.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
for these? I''ve had them for a while now and I don''t have a clue as to what to do with them. They''re just sitting in my drawer in their little baggies doing absolutely nothing. I''m not good at designing things so I guess that''s why they''re still sitting here in the dark. They should be out sunning themselves
9.gif

These are pink tourmalines. I believe they''re 4mm x 6mm stones. They aren''t matched in color but I kind of like that. I think if they were used in a piece of jewelry like that it would look kind of neat. I never plan on selling it anyway. These are 3.05 cts,

PinkTourmalines2.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
and these.....green and blue tourmalines. There are a couple in here that have a brownish yellow tint to them. 3.5cts. I also have yellowish/gold colored tourmalines that are about 3.65cts but I don''t have a picture of them that turned out well.

Green.BlueTourmalines2.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
These are 6.30cts of marquise rubies. They aren''t calibrated so I have NO clue as to what can be done with these:
(Don''t pay any attention to the name of the file. I was reading the wrong bag when I saved the picture
20.gif
)

3.5ctRubies.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
And these. Much smaller marquise cut rubies but they''re cleaner. 1.05cts of them.

1.05ctRubies.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone may be able to suggest.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, so many options! ......off to start thinking.........
i love projects!!
36.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! I can''t wait to see what you think of!
36.gif
I have a lot of gold rings that I just don''t wear anymore so whatever I have made I will have the jeweller melt the gold to make the new piece.

I''m so excited!
9.gif
9.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds4me
There are heaps of examples of multi-coloured gem jewellery around at the moment. Bulgari comes to mind. You could have a fabulous multi-coloured bracelet or drop style necklace (I need to find some pictures to explain) or chandelier style earrings. I''ll do some searching for you! What fun designing jewellery!

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo, a drop necklace.....yuuummmmmmmm. I may have to buy more loose stones just so I can have heaps of stuff made!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
mixed color gemstone by the yard style necklace double row w/ matching bracelet. == yum yum

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
This is so much fun
36.gif
I haven''t even seen anything yet and I''m already excited, heheheh
9.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds4me
What''s with the bananas? Are you in a cheeky mood? I saw a really nice multi-colour necklace yesterday - unfortunately it was in jeweller''s window in Melbourne so the best I can do is try to describe it. It was a one long row of multi-colour stones (can''t remember if it was prong or bezel set) that draped around the neck and hung down at the front. Imagine a long chain draped around the back of the neck with the ends at the front. Instead of joining the ends together, let one hang lower than the other and the other joins up higher. It was very simple in terms of design but the different colours made it special.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my GOSH that sounds beautiful!! I think I know the design you''re describing. I''ve seen them in very high end jewelry catalogs. Very nice!

As for the bananas..lol..well...my h2b and I were hanging out and cooking one night and I whipped out a pen and just started doodling on the bananas..my lovely art work. Hard to believe I used to be an artist. Sad, I can paint murals but when it comes to jewelry design I can''t come up with anything. I draw things out of magazines and books and such. One of my most popular murals were my light house murals of the NC light houses. Those are in a few houses around here. But I gave that up. Not a huge demand for murals around here. But it was fun anyway.
1.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
How about something like this set.

multicolor-drops-s.jpg

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
A jeweller will have fun with that.

Because they are all random sizes you could pay a lot if the manufacturer has to make each (or most of) the settings individually. The design needs to account for that. Probably bezel settings are out of the question, because of price (and breakage). Claw setting on non-individual plates would be a bit nasty.

A good wax carver could knock out 50 individual settings in a day and that would be fantastic. The settings would be as unique as the stones. How you arrange them after that is your choice, but I would suggest small jump rings to connect directly. It could be like Camillia suggested, with the largest ones at the ends. Very cool. You might have to hunt around for your guy. It would take me two days at least, but it would be fun. Carving well fitted settings fast, is not a skill many jewellers possess.

You would have something better then ALL the shops!!

Phillip

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no need to make em.
stuller would be fine for a project like this and a ton cheaper.
Some of the other findings places would be even better cuz stuller is overpriced on non-ring settings for what it is.
Id be real tempted to have it done in sterling silver.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pendant that might give you some ideas. I like the graduated sizing. I''ll look for some more pictures.

36_128multi gem and pearl pendant.jpg

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock

Strmrdr,

I don''t know about Stuller, but all the findings shops I have ever known don''t have any sizes outside the regular ones. I make settings all the time, opals being the main culprit, because I know it is faster to make them rather then adjust something not right. Some people are good at that. There is no other way.

If you want the stones to all fit flush and to use the same style of setting for each one, I doubt you can expect to find anybody who can help. Actually I''d be willing to bet on it. They would need a thousand different sizes and shapes instead of about twenty and that would be for every style. Not going to happen.

I know. I have tried and failed. Certain stones are not catered for well and mixed sizes in mixed bags have nothing offering on the market. I say this from years of experience working with such stones!

Believe me I know. I often make settings for rings because there is nothing suitable. When I get the chance I use a wax modeler, because he is unusually good. He is finished before I start, but the guy is a phenomenon - when he feels like it... He won''t even look at it unless he has the stone. It is ok for rounds or squares and some others to use bought settings, but never ok for ovals, marquise and the type, and by the looks of things that is what you’re dealing with.

I''d warrant you would get knocked back by jeweler after jeweler and one that might agree will bodge something together. That is why I am offering you this advice. You need to get into the trade to find real trade advice. If there is a jewellery manufacturing center in the US, start looking there, but don''t expect to see advertising, they don''t! The skilled ones are a particular breed that know only the bench they work behind and the materials they use. You have to know what you’re looking for. Then it will be cheap and the class of your result will be out of the range of 99% of retailers even including big brand names.

Phillip
25.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Art Nouveau, Camellia, those are beautiful. Very much my style. I know I''ve seen something almost identical to the drop earrings and pendant that you posted Nrt Nouveau.

The process of finding someone and making the finished piece is starting to sound very complicated. Of course I just woke up too...that may have something to do with it. Once I get a few cups of coffee into me I''ll be a little less fuzzy.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
The pendant was purchased from a wholesaler in Hong Kong. It is a modified version of the Bulgari Allegra line. The earrings were custom made by a wholesale jeweler (Frank Lau) in Seattle. You can check the Bulgari website to get more ideas.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Diamonds4Me,
Actually, settings for these are easy to make from reasonably priced stock parts. What I do is to buy pre-made round bezel cups of a close size and smash them oval with a pair of pliers. These can be made to fit the ovals, (they may need triming prior to making them oval but this works). On the marquises I do the same thing, only after "ovalizing", I then cut both ends of the oval, bring the pieces back together solder up and voila a perfect, inexpensive fitting for a marquise. The biggest cost here is the the number of pieces used, even at $30 per piece the cost could get large if you used all of them in one piece. You know, if you used enough stones you could do without clothes, sort of like chain mail with gems.
6.gif

You''d have the best looking armor in town !

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chain mail with gems............love it!
23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2004 7:26:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
mixed color gemstone by the yard style necklace double row w/ matching bracelet. == yum yum
HI:

Agreed!!!! In this month''s In Style/Vogue/W mags, were amazing necklaces--one fashioned in a diamond by the yard style--long so as to be worn in many lengths, uneven shapes/sizes/colored stones between oval gold links---2DIE4: and another using uniform round stones, alternating colors, bezel set between small round links worn close to the neck, again 2DIE4.
So much to do and so little time--you lucky gal!

cheers--Sharon

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 2:46
6.gif
4 PM
Author: Michael_E
Diamonds4Me,
Actually, settings for these are easy to make from reasonably priced stock parts. What I do is to buy pre-made round bezel cups of a close size and smash them oval with a pair of pliers. These can be made to fit the ovals, (they may need triming prior to making them oval but this works). On the marquises I do the same thing, only after ''ovalizing'', I then cut both ends of the oval, bring the pieces back together solder up and voila a perfect, inexpensive fitting for a marquise. The biggest cost here is the the number of pieces used, even at $30 per piece the cost could get large if you used all of them in one piece. You know, if you used enough stones you could do without clothes, sort of like chain mail with gems.
6.gif

You''d have the best looking armor in town !
WOOHOO! Now THAT would be interesting!
9.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 3:55:22 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 12/20/2004 7:26:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
HI:

Agreed!!!! In this month''s In Style/Vogue/W mags, were amazing necklaces--one fashioned in a diamond by the yard style--long so as to be worn in many lengths, uneven shapes/sizes/colored stones between oval gold links---2DIE4: and another using uniform round stones, alternating colors, bezel set between small round links worn close to the neck, again 2DIE4.
So much to do and so little time--you lucky gal!

cheers--Sharon
lol, I may have to start my collection back up again so I can get all of these things made up.
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results