• Square cushion

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • See results without voting

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am debating which of my stones should go in this VC setting but cannot decide. I don't think my 10 x 8 mm blue oval spinel will fit because it is too big but as of now, I am awaiting confirmation from VC. Hey, wait a minute, is there such a thing as a stone that's too big? It's not in my dictionary. :lol:

I think a poll helps keep things cleaner. Rounds are out because although I have a few small rounds, they aren't spectacular enough to deserve this setting. Trilliants and pears are just too odd, which leaves me with only cushions and ovals. Some of my other cushions are already slated for a different setting or aren't good enough for this setting.

Here's my current choice:
1. Rectangular cushion 7.6 x 5.5 mm colour change Luc Yen spinel, lavender outdoors to pink indoors
2. Oval 7 x 5 mm cobalt blue spinel, saturated medium dark blue outdoors (easily mistaken for sapphire) to a tanzanite violet indoors

The setting is 18k yellow gold. I'm going to change out the basket to be in yellow gold too.

I would greatly appreciate any additional comments to understand why you hold that particular opinion as well. :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need to see the setting, but those two stones are two of my favorites of yours, so honestly, i can't see how you can go wrong!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics of the rectangular cushion, followed by the blue spinel.

feb11ccspineli.gif

feb11ccspinelii.gif

swalacobalt.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1348151229|3271575 said:
We need to see the setting, but those two stones are two of my favorites of yours, so honestly, i can't see how you can go wrong!

I'm working on it! :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted the blue/tanzanite-ish coloured spinel. The rectangular length throws off something for me, in that setting. Not sure what, but I much prefer the more traditional structured shape and colouring using the spinel in your beautiful VC setting.

Like that idea of a YG head instead of the WG. And they can replace it with one that will fit that stones shape?

Lovely setting - and beautiful stones to chose from!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi,
Yes, Paul of VC has confirmed that he can replace the existing round basket with a 7 x 5 mm rectangular basket, which I presume an oval 7 x 5 mm should not be an issue either. I agree with you that there's just something funky about a rectangular length in that setting but technically, the stone only sticks out around 1.5 mm above and below the setting and the squared off sidestones should help blend the lines together yet... I think some photoshop might help a lot to visualize the impact, don't you think? Except I'm totally useless with photoshop.

ETA
I knew I shouldn't have listed a "square cushion" option in there because my other square cushions are either going into a different setting or aren't nice enough for this VC. I guess it's too late to change my poll now. :(sad

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: Ok I changed my vote. I think the blue spinel looks more stunning so I would want to see it set first. I'm not so sure that a elongated shape is a good match for the setting though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the oval - it will spoil the squarish lines of the ring.

I'd go for an east/west cushion cut. That will mirror the sides more aesthetically.

I haven't voted because I was confused by your descriptions but hope that you know what I mean! ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1348155262|3271635 said:
Not the oval - it will spoil the squarish lines of the ring.

I'd go for an east/west cushion cut. That will mirror the sides more aesthetically.

I haven't voted because I was confused by your descriptions but hope that you know what I mean! ;-)

LD,
I cannot change the design of the ring to accomodate an east / west set stone, meaning the setting will not be built around the stone because it is an existing setting. The only thing that can be changed is the basket, which even then, there is a limitation on the size of the basket. Suppposing that I can somehow squeeze it E/W, there will be a lot of overhang that covers the beautiful sidestones.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
i voted oval and would say cobalt
I think east/west would only work with tighter L/W ratio than either of these spinels have, but I think the same of N/S, just less strongly.
switching the head out to yellow gold I would still say cobalt

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it JewelJunke that is the Photoshop whiz??? Hopefully she'll be along and can dazzle us with the 2 stones in that setting - so we can really visualize.

I like the softness of the oval - it works well with the movement of the shank curves/carving. I think the elongated E/W idea of the cushion would throw in a more contemporary spin to something that really needs to remain true to the vintage feel of the setting. Just my $.02 (eXTRA) cents! :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaah, it wasn't clear how big your stones were compared to the central one in the setting. North/south will look equally as lovely though. I would stick with a cushion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To All,
LD made a very good point about not knowing what fits and doesn't fit in there. The maximum width the setting can take (I think) is 5.5 mm so these two stones are just about at the limit even when set E/W. Throw in all the extra cents you have. :tongue:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

chronovccobalted.jpg

chronovccobalty.jpg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think VapidLapid's mockup just sealed the deal. :appl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

chronolucyen.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The oval looks like a tanzanite ring :cry: so that definitely wouldn't be my choice. For me, the oval makes it look like any number of rings I've seen. Sorry to disagree.

The cushion looks "different" - in a good way! Perhaps a better word is unique now that I think about it! I love the aesthetic lines of the cushion next to the adjacent piece on the shank - they almost mirror each other. Of course it would be better with slightly different prongs and if you couldn't see the sides of the basket - which I'm sure you won't if it's a tight fit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
Thanks! You are indeed amazing.

Believe it or not, this makes it more difficult. At first glance, I thought oval, then looking closely again, I have to agree with LD about how the length of the cushion goes well with the straight line of the sidestones. I looked everywhere for a straight frontal view of the ring but found none. These two are the best I could find.

_974.jpg

scroll-rings_jpg4b3bb61105ed0.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE that setting!

I like the color combination of the blue spinel ring better. Blue and yellow offer a pleasing complementary contrast but the lavender and yellow clash to my eyes.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have to confess the proportions on the luc yen did not fit. I had to skew the proportions in photoshop to make it fit better.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Blue spinel. It's just fabulous! Goes best with the gold of the setting -- I agree w/Amelia that somehow the lavender looks hinky with the gold. Super setting!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got quotes back from Van Craeynest and financially, which stone I put in there does not matter, be it a big stone or small so.....my options have now opened up even more! Although....it's going to be rather expensive to change out the basket because it will now be an integrated basket...but that's another matter I have to decide on separately.

3. Square cushion 7 x 7 mm tsavorite (although I really prefer to set that with my pink trillions)
4. The giant lavender blue 10 x 8 mm spinel

swala215.png

bigoval.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - years ago I had a similar setting and put in an oval AND it was a large oval. The result was the ring was totally unbalanced (looks wise) and I never wore it. If you decide to go for the oval please don't put the large one in. It'll look very strange and it's not a "Chrono" IYKWIM!!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooohhh!!!! Cushion TSAV just got moved to the top of my list for what goes there! I just love that green/gold combo and I think that would suit the setting perfectly - IMO! (I think I'm up to $0.06 cents worth now!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Sort of a ridiculous "ring pop" appearance?

Enerchi,
I'm glad I allowed voters to change their votes in the poll. Feel free to abuse the square cushion option if you have any cents left. :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1348167722|3271796 said:
LD,
Sort of a ridiculous "ring pop" appearance?

Enerchi,
I'm glad I allowed voters to change their votes in the poll. Feel free to abuse the square cushion option if you have any cents left. :lol:

cents or sense??? Now there's a topic for debate!! hahaha! :lol:

I have officially switched my vote to cushion :appl:

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1348165674|3271777 said:
3. Square cushion 7 x 7 mm tsavorite (although I really prefer to set that with my pink trillions)

Is the tsavorite a blue-green? How do you like bluish-greens with yellow-gold? I'm thinking the green would have to be a very particular shade not to clash.

Sorry, I'm not much help. I'm still not a fan of the lavender with that setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of sounding wishy washy, I'm getting quotes elsewhere to modify the ring without having to send it back to VC. I suspect their overhead is very high and with a local goldsmith, I can get this done probably for around 25% of VC's quote. If I go this route, the ring does not have to be taken apart (it'll still be a peg head but the head will not be die struck) and I am limited to a total width of 5.5 mm which means the cushion tsav and giant oval spinel is OUT! I'm having a field day making your collective heads spin. :loopy: Bet you are totally confused and don't know which one to vote for now. :lol: In truth, I feel like a headless chicken running around. I'm causing unneccesary stress to myself and it is showing.

Amelia,
The tsavorite is green with a slight blue modifier. I put it next to my 22k yellow pendant and it looks fine. In any case, I think this option is now closed again because if I don't want to spend a ton of $$$$ to take the ring apart to fit in a bigger basket, I am back to my original blue oval or lavender rectangular cushion.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue spinel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results