shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you pay for this Round Cut....

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
I.G.I Certificate # : XXXXXXXX
Description of Article : ONE 14 KARAT YELLOW GOLD MOUNTING (RING), WEIGHING IN TOTAL APPROX. 1.9 DWT., STAMPED "14K PLAT .96"/WITH LOGO, CONTAINING ONE NATURAL DIAMOND (SET IN PLATINUM), DETAILED DESCRIPTION BELOW:

Shape and Cutting Style : ROUND BRILL. CUT
Measurements : 6.29 - 6.36 x 3.89 MM.
Weight : 0.96 CARAT
Polish : GOOD
Symmetry : GOOD
Clarity Grade : I(1)
Color Grade : COLORLESS(F)
Fluorescence : MODERATE BLUE

I know it isn't the most info, but I think I have a fair price on this from someone and want to guage what I think a good deal is and what you all might think. I am taken back by the Good Polish and Symmetry as well as the I1 but honestly the diamond looks good, it is as eye clean as a $8k diamond I saw at the store the other day, granted that was a 1.25 carat SI1 E. Let me know what you think, thanks!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI grades can be WAY more forgiving than GIA or AGS.
If IGI calls it I1 it has to be reeeeeeeeally polluted.

Even without the proportions I'd bet that is NOT a well-cut diamond
The price I'd offer is the result of considering it needs to be recut, since good cut is the most important thing to diamond beauty, not clarity or color.
So AFAIC this is just a piece of rough with no known color and clarity grades.

After recutting the weight may be only 0.7 ct, 0.6 ct, or less.
I'd have to pay for the recutting and assume the risk that this badly-included stone may explode on the cutting wheel.
Then I'd have to pay to have it graded by a reputable lab, AGS or GIA.

I'd offer perhaps $800.
That's eight hundred dollars.
Even that would depend on what the cutter told me after they examined the loose stone.

The seller would make more money selling this ring to someone very ignorant.
Now that you've found Pricescope that person is not you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oliveb23|1308600726|2950414 said:
I.G.I Certificate # : XXXXXXXX
Description of Article : ONE 14 KARAT YELLOW GOLD MOUNTING (RING), WEIGHING IN TOTAL APPROX. 1.9 DWT., STAMPED "14K PLAT .96"/WITH LOGO, CONTAINING ONE NATURAL DIAMOND (SET IN PLATINUM), DETAILED DESCRIPTION BELOW:

Shape and Cutting Style : ROUND BRILL. CUT
Measurements : 6.29 - 6.36 x 3.89 MM.
Weight : 0.96 CARAT
Polish : GOOD
Symmetry : GOOD
Clarity Grade : I(1)
Color Grade : COLORLESS(F)
Fluorescence : MODERATE BLUE

I know it isn't the most info, but I think I have a fair price on this from someone and want to guage what I think a good deal is and what you all might think. I am taken back by the Good Polish and Symmetry as well as the I1 but honestly the diamond looks good, it is as eye clean as a $8k diamond I saw at the store the other day, granted that was a 1.25 carat SI1 E. Let me know what you think, thanks!!

Probably no where near what they are asking considering its an I1 and the symmertry and polish are only GOOD.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't even consider it. I don't care what they are asking for it , it wouldn't be worth it :twirl:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You’re betting heavily on the advice from IGI in making this decision so it would be prudent to decide if you feel your faith is well founded. That means researching the lab, not just the diamond. I’m a bit less cynical than Kenny but the difference between an I-1/F and an I-2/J is enormous in terms of pricing and less than obvious to a casual observer who isn’t accustomed to the diamond grading scales.

Deciding what you are willing to pay for a used ring from an individual on the secondary market based on what you saw a new and completely different one going for at the mall is NOT a sound procedure. Collecting advice from strangers on the Internet who have never seen the stone is only marginally better by the way. Tiny details matter a lot in this business.

If you’re serious about considering this piece, start by getting it graded and appraised in person by someone chosen by YOU, not the seller.

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
Ok great advice thank you, I was curious to see if anyone would even bother with such a diamond and it seems the answer is no!

Quick question about Best Diamond Source and Solomon Brothers, are these places reputable at all, I mean the EGL certs are attached and some of the prices are mind boggling low. Even if your cert isn't GIA I plugged the specs on a diamond into the HCA and it had a 3.4, not great but for the quality maybe not a bad price?

Weight 2.00 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color I
Clarity I3
Measurements 8.14 x 8.09 x 4.93 mm
Depth 60.3%
Table 61%
Crown 13.7%
Pavilion 43.4%
Crown Angle 35°
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet N/A
Cut Grade N/A
Comments
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

HCA Score
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 3.4 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Same thing. Research the lab, not just the stone.

EGL I-3? Seriously? Do you know what 'I3' means?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oliveb23|1308603381|2950452 said:
Ok great advice thank you, I was curious to see if anyone would even bother with such a diamond and it seems the answer is no!

Quick question about Best Diamond Source and Solomon Brothers, are these places reputable at all, I mean the EGL certs are attached and some of the prices are mind boggling low. Even if your cert isn't GIA I plugged the specs on a diamond into the HCA and it had a 3.4, not great but for the quality maybe not a bad price?

Weight 2.00 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color I
Clarity I3
Measurements 8.14 x 8.09 x 4.93 mm
Depth 60.3%
Table 61%
Crown 13.7%
Pavilion 43.4%
Crown Angle 35°
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet N/A
Cut Grade N/A
Comments
UGS Appraisal Value N/A

HCA Score
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 3.4 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

My major concern would be that EGL is giving this stone an I3! On this site you are not provided with pictures and I would be very wary of this stone's clarity-

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I don't understand, you have gotten a lot of great suggestions for an engagement ring, and these aren't even close. I3 is the worst clarity you can get. I would rather wear a plain band any day of the week.

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
Ok ok I am seeing that these are basically garbage, I just see $2k for a 2.00 Carat ring and think maybe its worth a shot, but pipe dreams are what they are for a reason....

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
I know, I am just a cheap SOB :tongue: and can't stop trying to beat the system as they say. Some of the suggestions I have gotten are absolutely amazing, but when I went to the store locally, the nicest one in town, the diamonds they carried were all excellent to Ideal cuts and honestly I didn't see a big difference in the d-e or vvs1to si1, so I started wondering in terms of ranges and now I am all out of whack. Do I really need a diamond that has these wonderful scores when I go look and say to myself, this diamond is almost twice the price and the difference is not noticeable to a novice like me. Yes there is a difference but either way the 2 seconds eveyone glances at the diamond its going to be 2 things they think, either Big or Small and Shiny or not, that's it, 99% of the population grades on that scale, so that's why I have drifted so far I think. When you go to the mall and see these IGI certs and EGL's I think these are way overpriced, but honestly don't look too bad, so thats another reason I drifted too, but I really really do appreciate all the help, even though it seems I am ignoring it I assure you I am not, I am just a finicky person.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me explain something.
You are NOT comparing apples to apples.
All labs do NOT use the same standards.
Shocking, but true.

AGS and GIA use the most strict standards.
The same stone that GIA gave H SI2 grades to may get E VS1 grades from IGI, EGL, UGL and others.

AGA/GIA graded diamonds are not more expensive.
They are just not graded by liars and market to suckers who must think they are getting a "deal".

When vendors price a EGL "F VS1" they probably price it at what they'd price a GIA H SI2 for.

Let me repeat, you are NOT comparing apples to apples.

You are NOT going to "beat the system".
People who sell diamonds are very smart.
Most people who buy them are very dumb.

Now you know better.
Shop AGS/GIA stones from a reputable vendor with good prices and policies like Goodoldgold, Whiteflash, Jamesallen, Briangavindiamonds or highperformancediamonds

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oliveb23|1308604276|2950480 said:
I know, I am just a cheap SOB :tongue: and can't stop trying to beat the system as they say. Some of the suggestions I have gotten are absolutely amazing, but when I went to the store locally, the nicest one in town, the diamonds they carried were all excellent to Ideal cuts and honestly I didn't see a big difference in the d-e or vvs1to si1, so I started wondering in terms of ranges and now I am all out of whack. Do I really need a diamond that has these wonderful scores when I go look and say to myself, this diamond is almost twice the price and the difference is not noticeable to a novice like me. Yes there is a difference but either way the 2 seconds eveyone glances at the diamond its going to be 2 things they think, either Big or Small and Shiny or not, that's it, 99% of the population grades on that scale, so that's why I have drifted so far I think. When you go to the mall and see these IGI certs and EGL's I think these are way overpriced, but honestly don't look too bad, so thats another reason I drifted too, but I really really do appreciate all the help, even though it seems I am ignoring it I assure you I am not, I am just a finicky person.
There's nothing at all wrong with not wanting to pay the premium associated with VVS, or E, or 'ideal' cutting. They're not for everyone. I would give you the same warning about stones in your local store that you're getting for your internet shopping (look into the grading source, labs don't all use the same scales or methodology, 'ideal' doesn't mean the same thing everywhere). The decision that you want a BIG rock for cheap is not an undreasonable one but you're blowing it on the next step. The trick is to make your choices deliberately. Going with the dealer that makes the most outlandish claims for the lowest price is NOT the way to end up buying the best deal, it's the way to end up shopping with the biggest liar. Stick with GIA grading. Look at I-1, Look at J-K-L colors, look at 'very good' or even 'good' cutting, and look for medium to strong or even very strong florescence. This are all going to drive down the price for a particular size at the cost of something that you may be happy to give up.

As Kenny points out, you're NOT going to beat the system. You are competing at an enormous disadvantage because you're playing blind against experts who have the stones in hand and who do this for a living. You might find this an entertaining discussion that's been going on for the last few days.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-vs-egl-usa-vs-egl-international-which-is-the-best-deal.162154/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-vs-egl-usa-vs-egl-international-which-is-the-best-deal.162154/[/URL]

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dont think there is any beating the system. Sorry.

When I was on a flight from Florida a few months ago the woman in front of me had the biggest rock I have ever seen, I purposefully stood next to her at baggage claim just to gawk- but when I saw it from a foot away it was cloudy, milky white and black speckles everywhere! :errrr: It surely was big- not no way beautiful. I was actually embarrassed for her.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oliveb23|1308604276|2950480 said:
you have a better chance of hitting the lottery... :bigsmile:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
an I2 or I3 diamond will likely be so included that you will not see any 'sparkle' characteristic of a diamond.

and you will not be able to get a nice 2-carat diamond for 2,000.

if you post your budget and preference of specs perhaps we can help you find some decent alternatives.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1308619330|2950670 said:
an I2 or I3 diamond will likely be so included that you will not see any 'sparkle' characteristic of a diamond.

and you will not be able to get a nice 2-carat diamond for 2,000.

if you post your budget and preference of specs perhaps we can help you find some decent alternatives.

Ditto slg. It's best if you set your budget- and then set your priorities as to the order of importance the 4C's are to you, cut quality, color, clarity, carat weight.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You get what you pay for and there truly is no beating the system. However, you are the only one that can decide what is most important to you in a stone. If size is your main criteria and you are only willing to spend so much money, know that the other factors will take a definite hit.

The diamond should really be purchased for your own enjoyment - the fact that others may only give it a passing glance is really not the issue either - IMO. The important thing is that you have a ring that you like as you will be wearing and looking at it for many years to come!

Most here would prefer a smaller stone of better quality as they have seen the difference between a large so-so stone and a smaller, well cut one. Your preference of large and sparkly require attention to other criteria and unfortunately, that comes with a price tag.

Lots of helpful folks here - take them up on their offer to find you a stone in the size you are looking for. They may not be anything you would want to pay for but you never know. An educated consumer is always better than the alternative!

I hope this doesn't sound harsh - we were all probably at your point somewhere along the line. Just trying to impart info and wisdom that many of us learned along the way - often times the hard way! Best of luck to you in your search and if you need help or opinion, please don't hesitate to ask!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1308622202|2950718 said:
You get what you pay for and there truly is no beating the system. However, you are the only one that can decide what is most important to you in a stone. If size is your main criteria and you are only willing to spend so much money, know that the other factors will take a definite hit.

The diamond should really be purchased for your own enjoyment - the fact that others may only give it a passing glance is really not the issue either - IMO. The important thing is that you have a ring that you like as you will be wearing and looking at it for many years to come!

Most here would prefer a smaller stone of better quality as they have seen the difference between a large so-so stone and a smaller, well cut one. Your preference of large and sparkly require attention to other criteria and unfortunately, that comes with a price tag.

Lots of helpful folks here - take them up on their offer to find you a stone in the size you are looking for. They may not be anything you would want to pay for but you never know. An educated consumer is always better than the alternative!

I hope this doesn't sound harsh - we were all probably at your point somewhere along the line. Just trying to impart info and wisdom that many of us learned along the way - often times the hard way! Best of luck to you in your search and if you need help or opinion, please don't hesitate to ask!

Very true! No one is trying to be harsh or rude- it's just that many of us have been where you were and have seen been educated and learned our preferences and learned what makes a stone sparkly- white- and crips and clear looking. Ultimately you need to determine what your priorities are and go from there.

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the advice and criticism, constructive is the way I see it, I am so new to this and have been scared of the diamond/jewelry industry for a long time, even before I shopped for this big purchase. I am going to really try to figure out what I want and come back with some better perimeters for what I am looking for. The advice has been nothing but helpful, trust me an experts opinion on my ideas won't offend me, I know I know nothing and that's half the battle :) I just need to listen and start making some decisions on what I want!! Thanks again for the advice!

Once more amateur question though:

Has anyone had experiences with buying used rings that have an upgrade policy from the original jeweler and then returning the rings for store credit basically? What I am saying is on Craigslist I see a local ring from a reputable jeweler I went to last week. I asked him If I buy a ring from someone bring it in here with receipt and everything you will give me credit for the value you sold the ring, he said yes because we stand behind our diamonds and can resell it. Now I havn't gotten down to the details of just the diamond or the setting they will buy back, taxes and everything else, but lets say its a $12k ring and the store will give me 12K credit for an upgrade, if I can buy the ring for $7k wouldn't that seem like a good idea? I only am thinking about this because this is the nicest store in Southwest Ohio and they say the honor the upgrade even if I buy it from someone else, that's something I have been considering just wnated to know if anyone has seen this or tried it before. Obviously before i handed over 7k cash to someone I would confirm with the store that I will purchase X diamond/setting for X dollars minus said upgrade value.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oliveb23|1308668057|2951003 said:
Thank you very much for the advice and criticism, constructive is the way I see it, I am so new to this and have been scared of the diamond/jewelry industry for a long time, even before I shopped for this big purchase. I am going to really try to figure out what I want and come back with some better perimeters for what I am looking for. The advice has been nothing but helpful, trust me an experts opinion on my ideas won't offend me, I know I know nothing and that's half the battle :) I just need to listen and start making some decisions on what I want!! Thanks again for the advice!

Once more amateur question though:

Has anyone had experiences with buying used rings that have an upgrade policy from the original jeweler and then returning the rings for store credit basically? What I am saying is on Craigslist I see a local ring from a reputable jeweler I went to last week. I asked him If I buy a ring from someone bring it in here with receipt and everything you will give me credit for the value you sold the ring, he said yes because we stand behind our diamonds and can resell it. Now I havn't gotten down to the details of just the diamond or the setting they will buy back, taxes and everything else, but lets say its a $12k ring and the store will give me 12K credit for an upgrade, if I can buy the ring for $7k wouldn't that seem like a good idea? I only am thinking about this because this is the nicest store in Southwest Ohio and they say the honor the upgrade even if I buy it from someone else, that's something I have been considering just wnated to know if anyone has seen this or tried it before. Obviously before i handed over 7k cash to someone I would confirm with the store that I will purchase X diamond/setting for X dollars minus said upgrade value.
Conceptually yes, but watch out for the details. Most trade in programs have some significant restrictions and the details matter. It's common, for example, to require that you spend double on the new ring. That means that you're dropping $7k on craigslist and another $12k on the jeweler for a ring that's theoretically 'worth' $24k. Maybe it is and maybe it's not and this may or may not be a deal depending both on what you want and how aggressively priced that $24k ring is. If you could buy that one for $15k elsewhere (for example) then you've not made progress. On that same vein, make sure that the store actually has what you want at the end of the deal. A good price on the wrong thing is no bargain and a $12k credit at a store that doesn't sell what you want isn't really good for all that much.

If you're going to do this, get it appraised at THAT store as part of the terms of the purchase. Details about the condition and whatnot can turn out to be important and you want them to look at it and confirm they're ok with what you have in mind before you commit to the deal. You don't want to get into a situation where they back out over some fine print issue and you get stuck with a ring that you don't really want.

Oliveb23

Rough_Rock
ok those are some of the concerns I had, I appreciate the detailed advice, It most likely won't be something I do, but If I could potentially pull it off I would be happy, my thoughts were basically to confirm all the things you said and never even touch the ring from the seller, have them hand it directly to the jeweler and he hands me what I have chosen minus the 12K or whatever value he sets . Thanks again sir, your expertise and time are greatly appreciated, I know you don't have to deal with the likes of me for free so I am grateful!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oliveb23|1308670197|2951028 said:
ok those are some of the concerns I had, I appreciate the detailed advice, It most likely won't be something I do, but If I could potentially pull it off I would be happy, my thoughts were basically to confirm all the things you said and never even touch the ring from the seller, have them hand it directly to the jeweler and he hands me what I have chosen minus the 12K or whatever value he sets . Thanks again sir, your expertise and time are greatly appreciated, I know you don't have to deal with the likes of me for free so I am grateful!
not so fast!! :wavey: you will receive a bill from Neil... :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results