shape
carat
color
clarity

what would you pay for a .10 increase and one colour grade?

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry - this is a bit of a follow on post. I have been looking at the visual difference between a 5.97 x 6.00mm K 1.03 cushion to 6.30 x 6.22mm J 1.14 cushion (approx 5%). I thought I had missed the boat on upgrading the stone while my setting is in for repair, however the head is now needing to be remade anyhow so if I want to switch the stone, I can. Bearing in mind, this is a custom setting so I don't want to waste the value of that in a future upgrade - at least not for a long time. If I had my chance again I would go the simplest setting and largest diamond, but I am already invested in both.

Put simply - Would you pay $1000 (plus 10% tax!!) and this will have to last a long time!

Many thanks ... very keen for your advice.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: what would you pay for a .10 increase and one colour gra

How did you feel when you saw both diamonds side to side?
I like colour in diamonds. I am much more clarity sensitive. I can spot VS2's without a loupe on a good day!!! So I say go with the one that makes you smile the most. that may be the most visually appealing one or it may be the one that is most mind clean to you or a mixture of both.
In terms of the money, if you have it and YOU think it is worth it, do it. Otherwise, you will always think, what if!!!
Good luck in your choice and can we have some pictures, please! :saint:
:wavey:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sensitive to color... so I would say yes..

misssoph

Shiny_Rock

If you having to get the basket redone anyway then I do think it is well worth it: one color grade and 0.30 mm bigger for $1000.00 and no extra inconvenience/setting fees/shipping fees sounds pretty good to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, larger and going to J color...I'd definitely do it. Although I'd like to see the stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

What does Brian say about the color difference?

I went from a J to a K. That plus the small increase in size is worth $1000 IMO.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would say it is worth it to me. You will notice the size difference. Whatever makes you smile. :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I probably wouldn't pay for one color grade increase since I doubt I could tell the difference, but I would pay for 2-3 grades. I upgraded my pendant stone from a J to a G and couldn't be happier!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock

Does one of the diamonds *speak* to you more? Often, one will prefer the visual appeal of one diamond over another, regardless of color and/or size. What does your heart tell you to do?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

before i read the whole post, I was thinking $1000.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock

Susimoo - very good suggestion - i have asked the vendor to take a photo for me of the stones side by side. Hadn't thought to do that before, I was just going from the image they already have but that doesn't help me to compare with what I've got.
Shihtsulover - yes, I guess the larger stone does make me feel quite excited about it, but at the time I bought this one it was based on price alone and I did seriously consider getting one colour grade better at the time but that one was only marginally larger, and the vendor advised it wasn't worth the extra dollars as I would probably hardly notice the colour change.
jstarfireb - your pendant sounds gorgeous!!
Marcy - I haven't been able to find any examples of the difference in size and it seems such a small amount it wouldn't matter, however recently helping a girlfriend find an engagement ring I did see two stones a similar difference in size and I could definitely see the difference unset and I assume once set it would be more obvious - but I wasn't sure.
JulieN - that's a great help because I haven't been able to find any real comparisons to justify the amount.

Dreamer - I hadn't actually thought to ask Brian because I'm on the other side of the world and already the reset has been a complicated situation and I don't want to be a nuisance (I will post about the experience once it's all over!). I have asked them to take a photo of my stone with the potential upgrade to see the difference and that would probably make my mind up immediately. my issue is having already spent extra on an upgraded setting because the previous one couldn't be fixed to my satisfaction so what started off as a quite reasonably priced upgrade 12 months ago, has now nearly doubled in price due to exchange rates, taxes & duties (which I will have paid 3 times by the time it comes back to me again), returning for repair (twice - once my fault and once theirs). I question whether the finished product with be *worth* what I've outlaid in total. However, having read all these posts on the huge increase in the price of diamonds recently, and the stone I am looking at I think might be old pricing (not sure - haven't checked), that is enough to make me think it's worth it now before things get even more expensive. Effectively the stone is 25% more than what I originally paid, with the extra 50% I've put into the setting ... hence my deliberation - but Dreamer, thanks so much for your opinion because you've done it all before and that really helps! I know I will be happier with it.

Misssoph - yes, the ring has been made but unfortunately the head has turned out not quite right for my stone, so they are remaking it.

Mayk & Diamondseeker - thank you for your opinions - squeezing an extra $1000 out of my hubby is one thing but will it mean I'm happier with the final product after ALL of this - well, I think I would be happy enough with the K but it's actually the extra little bit of size that appeals to me and the colour is an added bonus.

I will let you all know once I've seen a side by side for comparison.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

In future, get the stone set and fixed locally. Much simpler!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock

Yes Dreamer - I actually am really really super excited about the finished product but I have found shopping online, to a budget, very difficult. Being able to actually see what something will look like in the end is so much harder online than in person. I have large hands / large fingers, and have found that the ring will end up looking different to when it is made for a smaller hand. ie a 2mm band looks even finer when it's on a larger finger. Initially it seemed to be cheaper to buy online, but not if something goes wrong.

All good though :D

I am really happy with the customer service I have received and effectively I have gained a few months of "upgrade" funding to make some little changes so in one way it's a blessing despite the hassle. I will have a much more beautiful ring in the end and to their credit they are doing everything to ensure that is the case.

Think I'm off topic ... thanks again.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

loveloveloveit|1306664592|2933017 said:
Yes Dreamer - I actually am really really super excited about the finished product but I have found shopping online, to a budget, very difficult. Being able to actually see what something will look like in the end is so much harder online than in person. I have large hands / large fingers, and have found that the ring will end up looking different to when it is made for a smaller hand. ie a 2mm band looks even finer when it's on a larger finger. Initially it seemed to be cheaper to buy online, but not if something goes wrong.

All good though :D

I am really happy with the customer service I have received and effectively I have gained a few months of "upgrade" funding to make some little changes so in one way it's a blessing despite the hassle. I will have a much more beautiful ring in the end and to their credit they are doing everything to ensure that is the case.

Think I'm off topic ... thanks again.

I am the same, and being in a different country than your vendor is a big part of the issue for me, too, because shipping is not simple. If we lived in the US, it would all be simpler, eh? I have been looking for a local jeweler whom I can trust to take care of some things, maybe even get a setting, but thus far I am not impressed with the prices or the skills I have encountered :blackeye: Still, I will keep looking because it makes life easier.

I have found going in person to at least try things on before buying online helps to give a visual at least.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock

shihtzulover|1306618854|2932667 said:
Does one of the diamonds *speak* to you more? Often, one will prefer the visual appeal of one diamond over another, regardless of color and/or size. What does your heart tell you to do?
The stone that speaks to me is the one I get, every single time. Never have been unhappy when I've gone that route.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Loveloveloveit, I had a .81 ct RB and was looking at going up to .91 for about .03 increase in size so I went out to Kays and tried on one of their 1 carat Leo that was about that much difference in size from my diamond and was surprised that I could tell the difference right away. I ended up getting a 1 carat with about .05 difference and definitely see a difference. About the second day after I got it I thought one of my channel set diamonds was missing in my anniversary band - it turned out to be it was dark because my diamond was casting a shadow down on my band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results