shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do...

LK79

Rough_Rock
I have a 3 year old Tiffany legacy engagement ring. I get it serviced every year and on the last two occasions mentioned to them that the diamond isn't straight but they always said they didn't think it was, this time whilst the SA said she couldn't see it the jeweler that she sent it to for servicing admitted that he could and that it was probably like that from creation. I also have another issue where the halo meets the band is wearing away. Both these things really annoy me and whilst they are not noticeable to anyone else they really trouble me. Tiffany have said my only option is to send the ring to New York (I am in Ireland) and that it will take at least two months . I really think it is unacceptable to be without my ring for that long and think they should maybe be offering an exchange instead. I have no faith in the legacy ring now or in Tiffany.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Tiffany Legacy and am so sorry to hear that! I guess from their standpoint, I believe they have a 30 day return policy like most jewelers, and normally if there is a flaw in the ring, the buyer would return it within the 30 days. So honestly, after three years, I am just really happy they will do something about it for you. They indeed may have to remake the setting, but you'll have a brand new ring which would be good. 8 weeks is pretty standard for custom rings, I am sorry to say. It sounds like an unfortunate situation, but hopefully they will get it right this time and you can go back to loving your ring!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 months is not that bad actually considering how many rings they have to work on and what they may have to do. What I would want to know is how much they are charging for the repairs. Bec I'm not expecting this to be free since you wore it for three years beside a band and that is not their fault.

LK79

Rough_Rock
Sorry I didn't explain that bit properly, I meant where the halo joins the band of the legacy ring, not my wedding band! But yeah maybe I will just have to deal with not having it for so long. I think they have said they would cover costs.

LK79

Rough_Rock
yeah, I'm just so torn, it's such a long time but then again it annoys me so much so maybe it's worth the wait!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you could drop it off at the Tiffanys in Ireland and have them send it back to NY.
I see it is in Dublin.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about this LK, but I think you should send it to the USA and have them fix it and perhaps be done with Tiffany, then you will be happy with your ring and find another jeweler for any more jewelry.. A pix of your ring would be good to see exactly what you are seeing.

Peace.

LK79|1459703006|4014915 said:
I have a 3 year old Tiffany legacy engagement ring. I get it serviced every year and on the last two occasions mentioned to them that the diamond isn't straight but they always said they didn't think it was, this time whilst the SA said she couldn't see it the jeweler that she sent it to for servicing admitted that he could and that it was probably like that from creation. I also have another issue where the halo meets the band is wearing away. Both these things really annoy me and whilst they are not noticeable to anyone else they really trouble me. Tiffany have said my only option is to send the ring to New York (I am in Ireland) and that it will take at least two months . I really think it is unacceptable to be without my ring for that long and think they should maybe be offering an exchange instead. I have no faith in the legacy ring now or in Tiffany.

LK79

Rough_Rock
This first photo shows the wear to the edge of the halo. It's starting to wear like that on the other side too.

20160330_185620.jpg

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
It's such a lovely ring! I'm sorry you're having these problems with it; I know the idea of being without it for 2 months is not a fun one. Do you have any idea what could be causing the wear to those specific spots?

susief

Shiny_Rock
Do you wear your ring for activities like housework, cooking, to sleep, to exercise etc? Do you have a job in which you are active with your hands, including office work (handling lots of paper and files etc?) Just trying to work out why the edges of the halo would be wearing away. To be brutally honest, it doesn't look like the sort of ring that is intended to stand up to 24/7 wear without intermittent repair work (like many beautiful rings on PS). I would get it fixed but then baby it to avoid further problems.

I can't see where the diamond is not straight, but if it bothers you, then 2 months without the ring is a small price to pay to get it sorted IMO. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist about jewellery.

LK79

Rough_Rock
I don't baby my ring as such but yes I would take it off for housework etc, no office work, i just don't understand it. The diamond being off centre bugs me so much, I wish I could just get over it lol! It's certainly not visible unless you hold it up in front of your eye. The jeweler has admitted that he can see it too and that he reckons it was like that from creation. They have confirmed they will do everything without charge, maybe I should suggest they let me go to new york with it :)

susief|1459799756|4015355 said:
Do you wear your ring for activities like housework, cooking, to sleep, to exercise etc? Do you have a job in which you are active with your hands, including office work (handling lots of paper and files etc?) Just trying to work out why the edges of the halo would be wearing away. To be brutally honest, it doesn't look like the sort of ring that is intended to stand up to 24/7 wear without intermittent repair work (like many beautiful rings on PS). I would get it fixed but then baby it to avoid further problems.

I can't see where the diamond is not straight, but if it bothers you, then 2 months without the ring is a small price to pay to get it sorted IMO. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist about jewellery.

LK79

Rough_Rock
No idea at all! It's very strange.
WeeOui|1459796085|4015335 said:
It's such a lovely ring! I'm sorry you're having these problems with it; I know the idea of being without it for 2 months is not a fun one. Do you have any idea what could be causing the wear to those specific spots?

LK79

Rough_Rock
Yes that's what we will do, it's a bit of a trek though!
WillyDiamond|1459781911|4015231 said:
Perhaps you could drop it off at the Tiffanys in Ireland and have them send it back to NY.
I see it is in Dublin.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they are going to pay for it, I see no downside to sending it to NY for 2 months. That's really not a long time for a free repair for something that's bothered you for years.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Tekate said:
I'm sorry about this LK, but I think you should send it to the USA and have them fix it and perhaps be done with Tiffany, then you will be happy with your ring and find another jeweler for any more jewelry.. A pix of your ring would be good to see exactly what you are seeing.
I have to disagree with this. I think that if Tiffany are covering the costs of repair after 3 years of ownership then this is extremely good service and rather deserves continued customer loyalty rather than snubbing them for future purchases.
The OP's only pain is living without her ring for 2 months. The cost to Tiffany is actually pretty high. Insured delivery back and forth across the Atlantic, a highly skilled jeweler planning for and executing the repairs.
And let's face it... the OP was happy with the diamond during the 30 day return period, and this wearing to the halo edge is not the fault of Tiffany. The ring is made of precious metal. Precious metal wears down. If you don't coddle your jewelry it gets worn and torn - fact.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not mean necessarily that Tiffany IS giving bad service but the OP felt miffed and therefore not as pleased with Tiffany's.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Sorry @Tekate, I realise you were just giving helpful advice and I didn't mean to criticise. If anything my comment was meant to be directed to the OP, who might want to consider how lucky they actually are to be getting a free repair of an old worn down ring here :)

LK79

Rough_Rock
toBnruG|1459933241|4016057 said:
Sorry @Tekate, I realise you were just giving helpful advice and I didn't mean to criticise. If anything my comment was meant to be directed to the OP, who might want to consider how lucky they actually are to be getting a free repair of an old worn down ring here :)

To be honest I don't think I'm lucky, i spent a hell of a lot of money on that ring and wouldn't expect it to look like that after only 3 years. It's been looked after extremely well so for a whole chunk of the halo to be missing is not on as far as I'm concerned.

The diamond has been set incorrectly so again they most definitely should sort that out, I have mentioned it to them continually since i purchased it!

They are only doing what they should do imo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results