shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone. JW is ready to begin my recut and I'm not sure what to do. The stone is currently 7.6mm. With a pavillion only recut it will stay that size but he says the crown is cut very shallow so it doesn't have much performance and he can't guarantee a pavillion only recut will have the best performance. What would you do? Is there a huge visual difference between 7.0-7.5mm? I want size but I also want a dazzler!
40.gif

ETA-JW is the one doing the recut!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is now.

IMG_3428.JPG

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I would gladly trade a half millimeter for a better performing stone. Unless you have another stone to compare it to, you probably won''t see the difference.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I somewhat agree with you until I go here http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf and realize how much difference 1mm makes and i can''t find a reference point for half a mm.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Look at the top row (round). There is just over a half millimeter difference in the 8.2 and 8.6 (2.0ct and 2.5ct respectively).

I think the shape makes a big difference. There is a significant visual difference on some but others, like the round and the asscher don''t seem so extreme.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the fixed link. They all look like fairly significant jumps in size to me. Even (to me) if you look at the asschers size 2ct and 2.5 ct are only .25mm difference and its a marked difference to me. I think looking at the round shape, the 2.5 and 3 ct are the amount of difference I stand to lose.

I had a 6.5mm sapphire back in December and I was shocked at how small it looked to me. I realize its a very respectable size but it just looked tiny. At that time i thought I could just halo but I don''t know that I want a halo anymore. And I wear a size 7.
39.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
In the end, it has to be your decision. If it something that will constantly be on your mind and make you nuts, don''t do it. On the other hand, if you can handle a smaller (though prettier) stone, then you should do it.

I know that isn''t exactly what you want to hear but only you can make that call. I personally would do it.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am going to do it. He said he can keep it between 7-7.5 with a full recut. I think that if I don''t do the full and the stone is pretty but not fantastic i will regret it and wonder what if, so I''ve typed up a reply email telling him to do it, I''m just scared of making the wrong decision and keep avoiding clicking send.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Just remember this: Unless you are directly comparing it to another stone, I don''t think you will see the size difference much. But you WILL see the difference in flat-out beauty which is what the stone is about in the first place.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out. Pictures are REQUIRED!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Revolution. Anybody else want to chime in?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff thinks it really needs a full recut, so a full recut it will get! I hope I will have pictures soon!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have voted for a full recut too. I think that a great performer is worth the half mm.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do you love the stone now? Does it make your heart sing? If the answer is yes, then don''t do it. But if the answer is no, and the stone does nothing for you, and you don''t feel excitement when looking at it - then go for it. There''s no reason to keep a stone that doesen''t really make you happy, and in the worst case scenario, after the recut, it still won''t make you happy. But it can turn into something that''ll just make you smile whenever you see it. It''s your call.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a stunner, then have Jeff do the recut. ALl of his sapphires after recutting have been amazing.

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see the recut! Judging from all the past JW sapphires I''ve seen, I doubt you''ll be disappointed with the decision :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the crown is shallow and you want a dazzler, I’d do a total recut. As for the size difference, make sure that you are looking at REAL sizes and not a blown up picture. Draw a 7.5 mm circle and compare it to a 7.0 mm circle. Yes, there is a visual difference but it’s not huge. Also, good colour and sparkle will make the slightly smaller stone catch the eye far more often than a slightly larger stone that just looks average.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Jeff felt pretty strongly that the stone needed a full recut, though he left it up to me and said he would only do a pavilion if that was what I wanted. I gave him the go ahead to do a full recut. I haven''t seen the stone yet in person, he sourced it for me so I''m not sure if it makes my heart do anything right now but I know from reading these boards that I can trust his eye so since he feels it really needs a mull make over then that is what it will get.

I do still have one question, he gave me option of a faceted girdle or a smooth girdle, polished either way, is there a benefit to one or the other?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Wow..I like the color of that stone..very nice..will be nice to see some pics after it''s done..should look sweet!!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you be happy if you have a recut but then the stone still doesn''t perform as you want?

Presumably you''re looking for performance - hence the recut?

The difference when set in jewellery of .5mm is not as big as you may think. If size is really an issue then have you thought about adding a halo if it feels too small after the recut?

I once bought a sapphire that was only just over a carat and much smaller than I would normally wear because of its colour. I don''t regret buying it because it''s breathtaking and a good setting can make it look larger. Also a well cut gem CAN look larger anyway.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies yes I think the color is fantastic.

LD-I originally wanted a halo but then several weeks ago realized in years from now I may want the simplicity of a solitare and after finding 2 Sholdt setting I love I feel pretty sure that I don''t want a halo. At least I think because at least twice in the past week I''ve been what if-ing myself over halos. I''m not really concerned about it not performing well after the full recut. Jeff feels pretty good and says that it will be a very lively stone after recut.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you went for the full recut. I would always do what the stone cutter strongly recommends!

Can''t wait to see how it turns out!!
21.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It''s done! It''s done! It''s done! I only got hand pics this am so I have asked JW for some studio glamour shots! Oh...I am so excited! I will start a thread once I get the studio shots and I get the stone!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT!!

IS that it in your Avatar???
9.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 6:33:54 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
GREAT!!

9.gif
It sure is! I don''t have my glamour shots yet but I couldn''t resist the urge to have a picture of it for my avatar!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 8:26:32 PM
Author: stepcutgirl

Date: 2/24/2010 6:33:54 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
GREAT!!

9.gif
It sure is! I don''t have my glamour shots yet but I couldn''t resist the urge to have a picture of it for my avatar!
It''s those ARROWS he carves into the stone that are the giveaway every time! BEAUTIFUL BLUE!

Jeff White does it again!

LS

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
The shot in your avatar is AMAZING! I love the glow! So exciting!!

ETA: And my god, the arrows
1.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I am so over the moon excited about it! Pictures will be coming soon!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I got my glamour shot! Should I start a thread now or wait till I have it in my hot little hands? He said it should be here Sat or Monday. I mean, I wouldn''t wanna tick off Kenny and have a thread with photos here there and all over.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results