shape
carat
color
clarity

Faceted girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I am curious about how my fellow PSers feel about faceted girdles vs. smooth girdles.

I personally prefer the faceted variety. I think it gives the stone a more finished look.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 12:09:54 PM
Author:Revolution
I am curious about how my fellow PSers feel about faceted girdles vs. smooth girdles.

I personally prefer the faceted variety. I think it gives the stone a more finished look.
I am just reading about diamonds. I do not mind faceted girdle as long as it is thick enough so that the end won''t chip off. Ergo, it probably works best with harder stones and just one cleavage plane. JMO - I am a rookie so I try to put anything I learn to use.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i expect a faceted girdle in high end stones......don''t know why, but i do.

mz

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I would think that a smooth girdle is better protected against chipping, and so normally, it would be my preference.

A facetted girdle does give a more "expensive" look, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both faceted and smooth girdled stones. I expect my precision cut stones to have faceted girdles.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 1:25:39 PM
Author: Chrono
I have both faceted and smooth girdled stones. I expect my precision cut stones to have faceted girdles.
Ditto and I care more about this in diamonds than colored stones in all honesty.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question! It doesn''t bother me either way in all honesty. I haven''t yet seen a girdle that''s put me off buying a stone so I''m clearly not "girdle fussy"!!!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think to clarify this thread a bit, there are polished smooth girdles, and the smooth or rounded girdles that are not polished. I think what Jeff means by a faceted girdle is a polished flat faceted girdle, as opposed to an unpolished rounded girdle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the girdle to always be polished, whether it is faceted or rounded. As to whether it is rounded or faceted depends on the design.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I misunderstood, then. I don''t like unpolished girdles. I thought he was referring only to girdles consisting of flat facets.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Correct Gene. Thank you for clarifying.

In my view, un unpolished girdle is never acceptable, faceted or not.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen unfaceted girdles in diamonds that look like frosted glass. I don''t like that look.

So I prefer polish. And for diamonds and sapphries and spinels I prefer facets.
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaah, different question! So I''ve gone from being not fussy to saying it HAS to be polished!
9.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2010 5:59:09 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
I''ve seen unfaceted girdles in diamonds that look like frosted glass. I don''t like that look.

9.gif
I think they call it bruted girdle in diamond, whereby the girdle is neither faceted nor polished. I had an interesting experience as the GIA laser inscription (grey) was not even visible on grey (unpolished girdle). What the salesman did was to use a pencil and starting ''shading'' on the girdle! And ta da you can see the GIA inscription quite clearly!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 8:36:35 PM
Author: chictomato

9.gif
I think they call it bruted girdle in diamond, whereby the girdle is neither faceted nor polished. I had an interesting experience as the GIA laser inscription (grey) was not even visible on grey (unpolished girdle). What the salesman did was to use a pencil and starting ''shading'' on the girdle! And ta da you can see the GIA inscription quite clearly!
That is interesting! Did you like the look of the stone?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I like my girdles polished. I don''t know if that is what you mean by faceted though...

Laura

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 1:00:09 PM
Date: 2/9/2010 8:36:35 PM

Author: chictomato

I've seen unfaceted girdles in diamonds that look like frosted glass. I don't like that look.

9.gif

I think they call it bruted girdle in diamond, whereby the girdle is neither faceted nor polished. I had an interesting experience as the GIA laser inscription (grey) was not even visible on grey (unpolished girdle). What the salesman did was to use a pencil and starting 'shading' on the girdle! And ta da you can see the GIA inscription quite clearly!

That is interesting! Did you like the look of the stone?

Nope, it appears unfinished to me:) I do not mind if the girdle is not faceted but it HAS TO BE POLISHED.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results