Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with two .40 each RBs?

What project would you do

  • Earrings

    Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Use in a three-stone

    Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Leave H&A in current setting

    Votes: 4 7.5%

  • Total voters
    53

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
I bought a .40 Brian Gavin H&A really just because it was a great deal. I found another "matching" stone I'm considering buying. It looks like a respectable match but not graded or ideal. I've bought enough cheap diamonds that I don't feel like I need to rely on certs if the price is right seeing how my dreamy e-ring is un-certed. So say you had an .80 CTW RB pair- What would you do with them if you already had euro cut platinum bezel studs in the exact same size?

Earrings of a different style, like rose gold with 8 prongs? Would that be different enough? I had .70CTW WF white gold 8 prongs and I sold them only because they were too similar to my OECS (back when they were in martinis). I don't do dangles anymore, it took me 15 years to notice but that highschooler at the claire's in the mall pierced my ears cockeyed and now it drives me nuts. Any idea what 8 prongs cost from someone like Daniel M? My ears only tolerate platinum or gold even though I can wear 10k just fine.

Would you use them in a three stone ring? The only remaining ring project I want to do is a ruby flanked by BIG diamond sides but I need a long time to save for the quality of ruby I want. Should I set in earrings now and dismantle once I can afford a center stone? I probably already have some colored stones I could slap in the empty settings. Downside of a ring is a H&A will certainly outshine the uncerted stone in so close a quarters although the symmetry really does look decent in pics. Seems it might be like having Beyonce as a backup singer. I don't care to spend retail on another H&A because the price would be about triple of what I paid for the one I have.

Suggestions that only include the one H&A are also welcomed. Along that vein, the H&A is already in a tiffany type setting that happens to be my size so I could just wear and enjoy it as an alternative e-ring because I often feel like my 8.57mm euro is too ostentatious or unsafe to wear in Africa but wearing anything else feels like cheating. It's probably stupid but I wear it almost every day even though a part of me would die inside if I was robbed of it. I was parted from it for several months while it got repaired and now I'm treating it like Gollum. I do occasionally wear a sentimental tungsten band in lieu for going to the beach or market.
 

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
12,450
I haven't voted yet but I guess it would depend on what I'd wear more often, a ring or studs. Because you already have studs and they're the same size as what you're considering getting, I'm tempted to vote for a three stone ring.
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
Thanks Zoe. I do wear studs all the time even to bed....with studs and pendants my pieces are all similar in size/style and pretty demure vs my rings which I like big and bold and I change my RHR often. I usually just take studs/pendants them off to clean them or switch to a new one once a week.

Doh, I just remembered I have .55 CTW studs I could use as side stones in a ring (surely won't look as grand). They don't really get worn at all now that the bezels are back in town. Might just try to sell them to fund this.
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
I'm still looking for the poll option "send them to Rosetta"

Ya know it makes sense :bigsmile:
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
Honestly: 3 stone

How about another stone instead of a ruby? Spinel? Sapphire? Or will only a ruby do?
 

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
2,692
I voted for the 3 stone because I already have 1.2ct martini studs and I have been eyeing off 3 stones for a while now and those .40's would be the perfect size to put with me 1ct e ring to create a minature version of yssies ring.

Well, that's what I would do, I think you should use them in your ruby ring because it sounds gorgeous and you already have beautiful studs too.
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
Cheeky Rosetta! :lol:
I'm sort of going for a rainbow with my right hand rings. I have a pink spinel three stone ring already in the works. I have a blue sapphire ring.

I do own a lovely red spinel heart I could use...but it's a heart and it hasn't stopped my longing for a ruby. I think the only way I could pull off a heart is in a pendant. Though she's got to be the biggest of oxygen on the planet, Heidi Montag is always being photographed by the paps in this ruby heart pendant I absolutely love and want to have made with my spinel. She poses so much I wish they'd get a better pic of it.

Heidi-Montag-The-Hills-TV-Taping-at-Villa-Blanca-in-Beverly-Hills-on-March-17,-2010.jpg
 

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
6,567
I vote 3 stone too. If you didn't have studs, it would be a no brainer, but in this case, I think a 3 stone would be gorgeous!
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
Haven't read the thread yet but what about a three stone with another gorgeous red stone, like Rhodolite Garnet or some other lovely red toned stone? You could replace it later with a ruby, or not. If you have other similar size earrings, I'd do something new with them. (And I totally understand- I have a couple ~.40-.50ish ct OECs parked in my jewelry box doing nothing because I already have earrings... and gold is ridiculously expensive... so there they sit til I bother to do somethign with them.)
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
LGK|1314227103|2998548 said:
Haven't read the thread yet but what about a three stone with another gorgeous red stone, like Rhodolite Garnet or some other lovely red toned stone? You could replace it later with a ruby, or not. If you have other similar size earrings, I'd do something new with them. (And I totally understand- I have a couple ~.40-.50ish ct OECs parked in my jewelry box doing nothing because I already have earrings... and gold is ridiculously expensive... so there they sit til I bother to do somethign with them.)
Really kelpie, it's blindingly obvious that LGK too is looking for the "send them to rosetta" option.

I shall insist PS admin include this as a standard feature of all polls.

I do this for your convenience, and out of the kindness of my heart.

No, dont thank me. Jus' doin' my job, taking in homeless OECs..... :praise:
 

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
3,446
How about a pendant with a drop (attaching inspiration picture), but you can always bezel or halo the diamonds for bigger size.

pendant-2.jpg
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Three stone!! You have studs so even if you get another colored stone for now until you can afford a great ruby-
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
if the differences in quality of the stones would bother you in a 3-stone...what about a diamond pendant?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,942
kelpie|1314223524|2998505 said:
I've bought enough cheap diamonds that I don't feel like I need to rely on certs if the price is right seeing how my dreamy e-ring is un-certed.
Huh?
Price depends on what is it, and what it is is a mystery without a grading report.

So diamonds don't need grading reports if they are dreamy? :confused:
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,113
I voted 3 stone.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,905
Studs. Perfect size, and if you lose one you're only out one as opposed to setting them into one piece! (Not the most brilliant rationale, but hey, whatever.) :naughty: :bigsmile:
 

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
140
I'd rather a pendant too. I know it wasn't one of the options. But if you've already got earrings the next thing would be a necklace, assuming you've already got an engagement ring.
 

Xiriah

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
490
I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I would either leave the H&A in its current setting or do as Eilonwy suggested and set it into a pendant by itself (then save the other one for another project maybe.) My second choice would be earrings since I have a three-stone ring with side diamonds that don't match perfectly and it drives me nuts. :sick: They're about a grade or two different in color (whereas yours would be different in cut,) but as you mentioned in your post, the difference in cut between the stones will probably be noticeable in close quarters and it may bug you. I frequently think about switching the sides in my 3-stone to H&As, but with diamond prices going up, I'm going to hold off for now.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,118
Well, I couldn't handle stones that were visibly different, so I would have to see if you could see a difference in the cut when they are side by side. Honestly, I don't think I would buy an uncerted stone to go with a H&A stone. But as far as your choices go, I see no reason to make another pair of studs since you already have some the same size, so sidestones for a ring makes the most sense. However, I do think leaving the diamond in it's setting and use it for an alternate e-ring is a really good idea as long as you are where you are. Is it safe to have your large diamond there? Does your ins. cover it out of the US?
 

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
7,378
Earrings :bigsmile:
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
I would probably just hold on to them. It sounds like you already have a lovely pair of earrings, and a 3 stone would be off balance. Instead of spending money to just set them I would hold on to them until you have a project you really love for them.
 

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
1,958
rosetta|1314227517|2998554 said:
LGK|1314227103|2998548 said:
Haven't read the thread yet but what about a three stone with another gorgeous red stone, like Rhodolite Garnet or some other lovely red toned stone? You could replace it later with a ruby, or not. If you have other similar size earrings, I'd do something new with them. (And I totally understand- I have a couple ~.40-.50ish ct OECs parked in my jewelry box doing nothing because I already have earrings... and gold is ridiculously expensive... so there they sit til I bother to do somethign with them.)
Really kelpie, it's blindingly obvious that LGK too is looking for the "send them to rosetta" option.

I shall insist PS admin include this as a standard feature of all polls.

I do this for your convenience, and out of the kindness of my heart.

No, dont thank me. Jus' doin' my job, taking in homeless OECs..... :praise:
I love how helpful and community-minded you are. :bigsmile:
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
kenny|1314229742|2998606 said:
kelpie|1314223524|2998505 said:
I've bought enough cheap diamonds that I don't feel like I need to rely on certs if the price is right seeing how my dreamy e-ring is un-certed.
Huh?
Price depends on what is it, and what it is is a mystery without a grading report.

So diamonds don't need grading reports if they are dreamy? :confused:
My take is that it's my eyes that tell me if a diamond is beautiful and white/clean enough. Yes, certs do tell you how a diamond should be priced but for $125 and a return policy it's very low monetary risk for me. I own so many estate stones I bought for a few bucks a point, many for the cost of less than a lab report so it just doesn't always make sense to get them. Example would be my oec studs, both stones cost a total of $365 and I spent $400 on the settings, an independent appraiser valued them as j si2 for a replacement value of $2000.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
kelpie|1314282687|2999168 said:
kenny|1314229742|2998606 said:
kelpie|1314223524|2998505 said:
I've bought enough cheap diamonds that I don't feel like I need to rely on certs if the price is right seeing how my dreamy e-ring is un-certed.
Huh?
Price depends on what is it, and what it is is a mystery without a grading report.

So diamonds don't need grading reports if they are dreamy? :confused:
My take is that it's my eyes that tell me if a diamond is beautiful and white/clean enough. Yes, certs do tell you how a diamond should be priced but for $125 and a return policy it's very low monetary risk for me. I own so many estate stones I bought for a few bucks a point, many for the cost of less than a lab report so it just doesn't always make sense to get them. Example would be my oec studs, both stones cost a total of $365 and I spent $400 on the settings, an independent appraiser valued them as j si2 for a replacement value of $2000.
kelpie where do you find these good deals?
 

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
2,362
slg47|1314284775|2999206 said:
kelpie where do you find these good deals?
[/quote]

Ebay. I use "saved searches" I've refined so they tend to churn up the good stuff. I end up buying stuff I didn't even start out wanting just because it's too cheap to pass up. :roll:
 

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
20,039
Since you already have studs you love, I would either do a different type of earring (ex. lever back) or a three stone.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
I voted 3-stone ring, but having thought abt this, I've changed my mind. I think for the 2 sidestones to be in a 3-stone ring, they have to be very matchy, as they're in such close proximity to each other. I have a 3-stone ring and the 2 sides are both GIA ideal cut but they are slightly different in cut (mainly because of the crown angle - not much of a difference, just slight) and one is an F and the other G. Yet, they still bug me sometimes and I think in the LR, I'll prob swap them for another pair that match better to each other (as well as to the centre stone which is super-ideal and a BGD "blue" G - so close to an F really).

So I'm changing my vote to another pair of earrings but perhaps a different kind of setting? Would you consider very thin very daintly halo? I know you said you style is pretty classic/ understated. Very thin dainty halo (like less than a pointer melee) would give yr studs a different look than yr existing bezel ones but not too overly ostentatious, iykwim? Plus, the halo may help to hide the different cuts in the stones.
 

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
15,880
My vote is for earrings, but mostly b/c all I wear are earrings and wouldn't mind a variety of studs :)
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Pretty Princess Cut
    Pretty Princess Cut

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top