shape
carat
color
clarity

what would you do with these birthstones............

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to have a piece made including the birthstones of my loves ones. I am really fond of JKT's key pendants but honestly I just don't like wearing a necklace. I'd like to either have a bracelet made or a RHR. I prefer a chain bracelet to a bangle just more practical for my line of work. But I wouldn't rule out a bangle. ANYWAY I have a hard time visualizing/creating things unlike you gals. The birthstones months are: January, December, July, October (had an opal necklace and the stone quickly fell out). I know garnets come in so many neat colors.
So.....what would you create with that???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a few options:
1. A necklace made with the stones in the diamonds by the yard style
2. Bracelet made in the same design or similar
3. It is doable in a ring but it can be a challenge to get it to merge well unless you go with stackers.

I believe the birthstones for each month as backup options so you can switch them around if you don’t like a particular type.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I thought about a dbty bracelet. I believe pink tourmaline is the October alternative to the opal. So I'd be working with pink, blue and red so what garnet color would you choose?
Also besides BGD who makes a DBTY bracelet
I believe LTP has a gemstone DBTY necklace anyone know who made that??
Also what size mm stones would you use in that?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just about any jeweller can make a DTBY style anything with some chain and stock bezel setting. I believe LTP’s was done by her local jeweller? You can either go with orange or green garnet? The size of the stones also depends on your wrist size.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Stacker rings would be really cool; what about something like these?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/17060572/harlequin-stacking-rings-in-solid-18k?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=harlequin&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_6415660

http://www.etsy.com/listing/18331882/lotus-seed-stacking-rings-sold?ref=sr_list_2&ga_search_query=lotus+seed&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_6415660

I think it would be cool to do round for the girls/women and square for the boys/men or vice versa. I''d also go for a green garnet, since green would gel nicely with your other colors.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
January-garnet
December-topaz
July-ruby
October-opal/pink tourmaline

What I''d do is find a pink-orange Malaya garnet or an orange spessartite, pinkish-orangish precious/imperial topaz or a colorless topaz, a ruby, and a pink or orange tourmaline, and then put them all in a piece together. I think the piece would flow better altogether if all the stones were in the same "color family" or at least all warm or cool toned. I wouldn''t use a blue topaz, but I think its just because I can''t picture a way that would work.

Here''s a gorgeous precious topaz cut by Dan

Actually, what I think I''d do is choose just one those and commemorate it to my family. A common color that all of these stones come in a variation of pink (though rubies are technically not supposed to be pink, but red), so I''d find a pink colored garnet or topaz or ruby or tourmaline. I''d probably go with an attractive pinkish Malaya garnet. You could even have the inside engraved with each of your family member''s initials.

The reason why I''d do this is because custom DBTY''s are notoriously expensive...if you could find someone to do one for a reasonable price (or at least a price that''s reasonable to you), power to you. Stackers are nice too, but four rings is quite a bit to stack, at least in my opinion.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been eyeing this stone for a while. I just never had topazes and was indecisive. But if you do not buy it, I'll get it!
As to the "horoscope", it all differs. I am born in December, and according to different horoscopes, my stone is:
- turquoise
- amethyst
- topaz
- ruby
- jade

So I guess you have a wide choice...

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Indy lady I never knew topaz came in pink. I am a neewbie!!!! I am kinda liking the idea of a common thread that runs through all of us as the pink. Do you have an example of a mayala garnet. If I went with one stone as a ring I think I''d like to try something other than round or EC. I am anxious to see what you all come up with. I am already going in directions I didn''t imagine. I love the idea of GBTY but expensive really isn''t an option right now. I''ve spent more $ on jewelry in the past 3 months than I ever thought I possibly would. But you know you get bitten.

casru go for the topaz I don''t really want a round.....

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 5:57:39 PM
Author: crasru
I have been eyeing this stone for a while. I just never had topazes and was indecisive. But if you do not buy it, I'll get it!
As to the 'horoscope', it all differs. I am born in December, and according to different horoscopes, my stone is:
- turquoise
- amethyst
- topaz
- ruby
- jade

So I guess you have a wide choice...
Amthyst huh? Purple is my favorite color.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of birthstone lists, so you have many options. I think a bracelet is a good plan. If it were me, I would get a garnet, a red spinel (good rubies that are not severely treated are hard to come by), a tourmaline and a blue topaz. That gives you a lot of color options and those are all stones that should hold up fairly well in a bracelet.

Traditional
Jan-garnet
July-ruby
Oct-opal/Aquamarine
Dec-turquoise

Zodiac birthstones
Jan-ruby/garnet (split is the 20th)
July-emerald/onyx (split is the 22nd)
Oct-periodot/Beryl(Split is the 23rd)
Dec-topaz/ruby(Split is the 22nd)

Modern
Jan-garnet