shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with 15k for everyday earrings?

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
The end of the ring search has left a diamond-shaped hole in my life. I want earrings now :oops2:

I have little experience with buying or wearing jewelry, so I’m turning to you guys for inspiration and advice!

So, what would you get for everyday earrings for 15k? (Or under 15k, I’m not *trying* to spend money here :P2)

Bonus points if they can also look dressy for special occasions, although I’m not sure if this is possible!

Thank you in advance!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oddly enough, I currently *am* doing it. I'm doing studs with jackets. Nice size for that amount, too.

Romy

Rough_Rock
I'd get these from Victor Canera:
0205-116-907-original.jpg
I've searched high and low for real-life images of these, but with no luck. This style does not seem to be popular. Don't understand why - I think diamond drops are classic enough to be worn as everyday earrings, and dressy at the same time. I wish a PSer would buy them, so I could see real-life photos :)

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would get diamond studs - as large as the budget will allow with a vendor with a great trade up policy. Studs can be worn with everything and can be as dressy or casual as you need them to be!

I’m not sure if it’s my earlobes or something, but I tried on 2ctw MRBs and FI and jeweler both thought they looked too big.

Is this even a thing? Would princess cut help make it more “interesting” and therefore lessen the “too big”-ness?

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Did you check the dimensions of the diamonds? They may have been cut for spread. When I was looking for my upgrade studs I tried on 3 ctw studs at a local high end jewelry store and they were comically huge! I went to whiteflash and tried on ideal cut diamonds and ended up with 3.6 ctw. Love them. However, I think I'm also going to keep my 2 ctw studs because I love them. If I were you, I would contact whiteflash and look for 2ctw studs and see if you would have enough left over for removable diamond jackets.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do 2 ct each ear round studs.

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
Did you check the dimensions of the diamonds? They may have been cut for spread.

Hmm, I don’t know the dimensions, but I’d guess they’re alright. The studs weren’t for sale, the were part of a tester set she had for people to try ctws, So probably normal dimensions?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put these into one of the below settings.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-10tcw-old-euroepan-cut-diamond-pair-gia-i-vs1-i-si1

4f70a5fc7c828b00081b118b2b59ee70--european-cut-diamonds-clovers.jpg

diamond-studs-LAD-1.jpg

e48191aa6b59827e0bc3924bcba1cddb--diamond-stud-earrings-diamond-studs.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, nothing beats a perfect pair of gorgeous studs. Dressed up or dressed down, they’re always in style and stunning.

You can always add jackets/drops too if desired.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i would get the biggest, nicest cut studs that I could afford. The are classic, and go with everything.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO studs are like rings - a size that looks overwhelming at first can become 'normal' very quickly!!

I remember the first time I tried on 4ctw studs - at Tiffany. At the time I had 2.5ctw OEC studs and the sudden size increase was a shocking visual! The stones were also set in hefty 4-prong baskets with noticeable clearance between culet and basket "base", which added to the sense of "overwhelmingly big and bulky", and I felt they looked... comical at best.

I now have 5.4ctw studs. The settings are dainty, the stones are set as "low" as possible, and I'd acclimated to the way they looked on me within the week :halo:

Your Ering is a glorious antique cushion... a pair of OEC studs in delicate 4/6/8-prong baskets would be a stunning complement :love: If you go the studs route I strongly recommend round stones as the compulsion to constantly check orientation on the ear is inevitable and irritating! (been there, done that ::)) Re. dressing them up - pearl drop jackets are elegant and classic. Pearl Paradise is having their annual Black Friday sale right now - I doubt they'll list jackets explicitly but a pair of drops at a great price is an easy conversion that they've been happy to do for me in the past 8-)

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For everyday I would but nice size antique studs with jackets or dangles to dress them up when I wanted. I have a much less expensive version of these things basically one pair of earrings works for any occasion.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
An option to consider. Studs for everyday, add the jacket to dress them up.

Jackets1.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that’s perfection!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
STUDS! Can be dressed up or down and with your budget, they are going to be FABULOUS!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds lovely! Are these MRBs?

Yes, they are. To go against the grain here, I'm not a fan of plain studs. At all. So I tend to end up in the land of clusters or halos. My new earrings are 2 x .95 stones in 15 pt halos - as in, each earring has 9 x 15pt stones. So the total is 4.6 ctw, and each earrings is just slightly over 14mm. I have huge earlobes tho, so this works on me.

Given that your e-ring is an old cut, I'd be looking at halo'd OECs. Was it Poshmommy who did that a while ago? At the risk of this sounding...wrong...she has an awesome set!!

(Sorry @poshmommy - you know what I mean!)

Q

Queenie60

I would purchase the best studs that my budget could buy! I have many earrings and tend to wear my studs the most.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3752.JPG http://m.tiffany.com.au/jewelry/earrings/tiffany-victoria-earrings-25169328?trackpdp=pr

I'd buy these! Except I prefer the .64tcw (size down from these). I know you could buy studs with much larger carat size but I just adore these!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely depends on your taste.

I am not a stud wearing girl so diamond studs don't appeal to me and instead would opt for antique diamond dangles no question. I wear diamond dangles every day and don't just save them for evening or going out. For me that is the most versatile look and bang for the buck.

I love feeling the swing of the diamond earrings as I wear them and it makes me feel feminine and pretty whereas studs have no movement and not as in view as diamond dangles.

Again there is no right or wrong but it comes down to personal taste.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding some of my earring collection for visuals if it can help you decide what is more your personal taste. I love wearing earrings and it is so easy just to switch it up depending on my mood and what I am wearing and it is the one thing I vary every day. My ER is the same every day but my earrings vary. All antique though and all dangles. I actually have studs (halo) because I wanted to want studs but just do not wear them. For me studs are a dud but I know for most studs are very versatile so as with everything it just depends on your personal aesthetics. No right and no wrong. Wear what you love. For 15K you can get a few pairs of lovely earrings though just food for thought.

My Lang antique chunky pear dangles...perfect for day and for night as all my earrings are.
chunkypeardanglesfromlang.jpg

langpearearrings.jpg

Antique cushion and OEC dangles

graceearringscloseup.jpg

graceearringswithkittiesinbackgrounddidn_1.jpg

Another antique dangle pair

antiquereprodangles.jpg

An antique pair my dh got me for Valentine's day about a year or 2 ago. The halo is made up of little hearts. And I am not usually a heart person but these are precious IRL.
valentinevintage.jpg

antique diamond and ruby dangles
rubydangles.jpg

antique sapphire and diamond dangles

sapphireantiqueearrings.jpg

and another OEC dangle pair from our very own Athenaworth (Gilded Lane)

Approx 1.25 cttw old european cut:single cut diamond earrings.jpg

oecdangles.jpg

To share but a few. HTH and enjoy the search!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would go down the route of studs and jackets with 2 different types of jackets such as a single halo plus another pair, e.g. double halo or a simple drop.

The other option would be a pair of diamond huggies with different drops such as diamonds, pearls or CS.

The above would provide me with a few pairs of earrings to match different outfits and occasions.

I love interchangeable jewellery.

DK ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@missy I just love your earring collection! It is swoon worthy! Apologies for the slight threadjack!

Romy

Rough_Rock
@missy, you pear dangles are TDF! (Not a stud girl here either. I want diaminda to move and dance :)

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Looks like I need to do some more homework/trying on ;)2

@missy thank you for sharing your dangles! They are all so pretty and might be just the thing I need. I’ve always been a little afraid of dangles as I just see myself losing them, but your pictures are very tempting...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results