Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Get a Tiffany upgrade to a halo ring

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Start all over again but not at Tiffany's

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Ok I give up! Been thinking about this for over a year, wedding still 7 months away hahaha probably why I'm still going nuts thinking about it totally shouldn't have had such a long engagement!

This is my Tiffany ring my dearest gave me, (.30ct plain band) I like the diamond but find the setting so boring. And I can't decide for the life of me what to do with it, as our financial situation has changed since our engagement, we have a little wedding band/upgrade nest egg that is doing well and I am pretty much going to have the money to upgrade, reset, or buy multiple wedding/eternity bands. I could upgrade (ie by going Tiffany upgrade or starting all over again with a different e-ring) but any upgrade option I would still be limited in size and probably couldn't go higher than a .50ct or .75 ct especially considering I like high colour.

Also, the diamond I currently have is really good quality, D VS2, so now I am spoiled and want a pretty high quality stone. I have F colour earrings and they are lovely though and I believe I can see a big difference between VVS2 of the earrings and the VS2 of the e-ring. I like the higher clarity I think possibly even more than the colour.

I love halos (for resetting option or starting out again option) but I have a funny request, I don't like bands sitting flush! I would prefer my band not to sit flush so you can see the whole wedding band and it's not wasted sitting under a halo.

I could go Blue Nile or Whiteflash or something like that but I'm worried about the quality of the settings (not the diamond) as I've never seen any from anywhere like that.

I'm also loving the platinum, and wanting to stick to the platinum.

If I get eternity bands, I like the Tiffany jazz (any type), Channel set and Shared Prong but I'm worried about the shared prong scratching my e-ring. If I wore it next to my channel set could it wreck the channel set?

So that is pretty much my situation. If you were in my position, what would you do? I am not really that sentimental about the ring and neither is my other half. I would however be pretty fearful of family/friends thinking badly of me for upgrading, but having the wedding set/ring that I want would be worth waiting for them to get over it.

ring.jpg

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
You have a beautiful ring but if your budget allows id def opt for a larger center stone than spending the money on a halo. Tiffany rings are beautiful but have a high markup. I think you might be able to get a larger diamond with your specifications that is equally as pretty if you are not attached to the little blue box.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I voted start all over. You can get a whole lot more bling with the same color/clarity without the tiffany name.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep your original (I did ;)) ) and start over somewhere other than Tiffany. That way you can get more for your money but still have the one your sweetie proposed with! :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would buy another .30ct and a .60ct somewhere else and make a three stone. Keep the setting in a box so you can set the Tiffany stoen back into it if you ever felt that need.

BTW I wanted to just point out that the clarity difference between the earrings and ring should have no impact on actual appearance of the stones. Clarity does not affect light performance or appearance unless you talk about rare situations with SI2 grades. With VS and VVS stones, clarity really becomes more of a mind thing. If you *like* VVS stones, more power to you. But it is not a concrete factor that causes any visual difference between your e-ring and earrings!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My other suggestion is to start over and get a really really blingy 5 stone ring, you could even use the Tiff stone in it if you wanted.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted start all over and I agree with the suggestions you keep your original diamond and ring. If you want to use the diamond in a new setting definitely a multi stone band or 3 stone ering would be a good way to use it.

Someday you could use your original setting as a RHR with a gemstone.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1306602222|2932509 said:
I would buy another .30ct and a .60ct somewhere else and make a three stone. Keep the setting in a box so you can set the Tiffany stoen back into it if you ever felt that need.

BTW I wanted to just point out that the clarity difference between the earrings and ring should have no impact on actual appearance of the stones. Clarity does not affect light performance or appearance unless you talk about rare situations with SI2 grades. With VS and VVS stones, clarity really becomes more of a mind thing. If you *like* VVS stones, more power to you. But it is not a concrete factor that causes any visual difference between your e-ring and earrings!

i voted for start all over somewhere other than tiffany.... but i love Dreamer's idea of using your current stone in a three stone. you would get major blingage AND keep your original diamond which i think is a nice bonus AND you would probably save or come out even with what you would spend upgrading at tiffany.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also say start over somewhere besides Tiffs...I also like the idea of a 3 stone or 5 stone if either those are in the budget.
If not just a bigger center diamond (with good trade-up policy) would be my choice. Work your way up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to keep the diamond in it's current setting, I'd go to Tiffany's and have it set in a pendant so it remains a Tiffany piece. It will totally ruin the value if you just remove the stone and use it in another setting.

But yes, starting over with the e-ring is your best bet if you have the money to get what you really want. However, it is a pretty terrible time to be buying larger diamonds. I'd probably get a diamond band and wait and see what happens with prices a year from now before upgrading the diamond.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the idea of using your current stone to make a three or five stone ring! All of the bling without losing your original engagement ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Start over. I have a few BGD (brian gavin diamonds) and the quality is equal to or better than Tiffany. I love my pieces.

Here's an idea for you... I have a very lovely blingy band I wear as a stand alone... it's unique and eye catching and I don't think I will ever get bored with it. Plus it's not an engagement ring, so you have your enagement ring still. This is one of my BGD pieces.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-aurora-1-2-eternity-is-ready-and-on-the-way.154113/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-aurora-1-2-eternity-is-ready-and-on-the-way.154113/[/URL] you could use your .30 as one of the larger stones (mine were .32 each) or you can keep it as it is, or have it made into a pendant (I love that idea) by Tiffany.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What you are probably thinking of as a difference in clarity between the earrings and the pther piece is probably a difference in cut. Clarity is not going to make that much difference at all. I suggest getting your eyes a little more educated about diamonds, color and clarity by going to a Hearts on Fire dealer near you and have them walk you through their whole sales pitch. Leave your wallet at home. We can find you great diamonds without the Hearts on Fire or Tiffany mark up. Promise.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1306628067|2932758 said:
What you are probably thinking of as a difference in clarity between the earrings and the pther piece is probably a difference in cut. Clarity is not going to make that much difference at all. I suggest getting your eyes a little more educated about diamonds, color and clarity by going to a Hearts on Fire dealer near you and have them walk you through their whole sales pitch. Leave your wallet at home. We can find you great diamonds without the Hearts on Fire or Tiffany mark up. Promise.

Wow thanks everyone! These comments have been so helpful.

Well if you guys reckon that the clarity wouldn't be that noticeable I am thinking that the setting is probably the reason that I think the diamonds in my earrings look slightly better. Because my earrings are equal in cut grading (one is excellent cut and very good cut) and my Tiffany e-ring diamond is also excellent cut. However, my earrings are 4 prong and are set higher and my e-ring Tiffany diamond is set low and is 6-prong. Definitely makes me think about getting a 4 prong setting if I upgrade!

I definitely love the idea about resetting my current e-ring into a necklace - but research I've done suggests that Tiffany wouldn't do this. I will ask the question though. If not I can always get another jeweller to do it. I don't really care if I have something "Tiffany" (except for silver items maybe).

It looks like I really need to get out there and try on rings and have a really good look at diamonds. Let the fun/shopping begin!

Diamond prices are definitely an issue particularly where I live (Perth AU) as they are heaps more expensive than the US! I was kind of tempted to wait and see what the diamond prices do. But boyfriend doesn't think I can wait another year tee hee!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably start all over and make sure I was working with a vendor with a good upgrade policy. I'd also probably keep the original Tiffany ring as is since that's the one your BF proposed to you with.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Well I've discovered the definitive answer to at least one of my questions - Tiffany in Australia does not have an upgrade policy. At least that's what the SA at Tiffany's Perth told me. She said they do in the states but don't offer it here.

I tried on a .50ct soliaire on my hand just for kicks and OMG I didn't expect to feel such a huge size difference between the .30ct and .50ct but it felt massive! The band of the ring and the prongs was also much thicker which contributed to the feel. I actually felt like I would be more than satisfied with a .50ct solitaire.

All in all a pretty dismal shopping experience as I wasn't too impressed by Jogia's when I went to check out their office - the settings indeed looked chunky and not dainty or pretty - so that was a bit of a let-down because I was so impressed with their webpage etc.

I did however see and fall in love with a shared setting wedding ring at Thomas Meihoffer early in the week. The best thing about it was that the prongs were on the top and bottom of the diamonds. No matter how much I turned the ring I could see that the diamonds would ever touch my e-ring. Which is fantastic because until then I thought shared settings were out for me. I love the look of shared setting rings but didn't want my e-ring to get scratched or have to wear a spacer ring. Also, their melee was very high colour - E/F Si1 which I haven't seen at any places in Perth so far. Even Tiffany's can't guarantee it they say their wedding band melee is D-G no lower than VS2 but you never know what you get it's a lucky dip. The one I tried on was massive - 2.6ct total wedding ring and looked like overkill and even the sales assistant who at first said it was too much was very impressed with it when I paired it with my e-ring. She could have been saying anything to make a sale though :naughty:

We're looking into perhaps buying secondhand, but I'm a bit scared of that.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thought.... Keep your original ERing as is (it's a high quality stone in authentic Tiffany setting and it's the ring your sweetie proposed with!!!) and then look to buy online a .5 ct stone and band and have that as your "wedding set".

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was one of the two who said bling it up with a really gorgeous band or two. Even one with just diamonds and another with alternating diamonds and rubies or sapphires.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling it's so funny that you should say that!!! Because I decided to bid on a Tiffany .52 ct e-ring this morning (with boyfriend coaching me eagerly on the phone) on ebay and it was E VS1 and I would have got it at a ridiculously fantastic price... except I hit "confirm bid" too late and lost!!!! (In fact I didn't even bid such a loser) Aaaaargh!!

I'm taking it as a sign. So motownmama, I think in the end I am going to go with your suggestion. (Although with the wedding still being sooooo far away I'm going to go stir crazy :( ) I've got boyfriend's blessing, to get the blingiest wedding band I could possibly ever want! And then one day after the wedding (when people will be less judgmental about my upgrading) I can upgrade to a three-stone and use my original diamond.

The wedding band and e-ring won't be matchy-matchy but I found the most amaaaaaazing shared setting wedding band and even though the diamonds in it were very large it actually still looked really great with my e-ring! And the prongs were on the top and bottom instead of on the sides so there is no risk of diamonds scratching metal.

Actually funny enough my plan encompasses everything everyone suggested.... focusing on the wedding band, then getting a 3 stone and getting a whole new ring in that order! Can't go wrong with that??

Now... if only the wedding was closer so I didn't still have soooooo much time to change my mind every 3 seconds!

Poor boyfriend.... he's the most amazing man in the world to deal with this diamond-crazed monster I've become!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I vote to keep the ring (I love the setting!) and if you ever get to Canada or Australia you can uograde your ring there... :love: . For now I'd get multiple bands; or go with a good custom bench to make you a ring your ER can fit into (name is escaping me now...) that has side stones/halo and appears like one ring.

cheers--Sharon

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately they don't have an upgrade policy in Australia or so that's what they told me (that's where I live)... so can't upgrade til we go to America... it'll happen someday maybe!!

I'm leaning back to multiple bands again. I'm thinking of trying on the shared setting but using the super-tiny super-flat lucida micropave ring in between as a spacer and alternate wedding band. I'm just hoping that the lucida will be sufficiently low to accommodate. I was thinking of getting the Jazz band, but boyfriend thinks that eternity rings with diamonds all around are, quote, "stupid". Men and their logics!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad that you decided to keep the ring as it is. I never believe in upgrading unless you get your ring appraised and find out it is a zircon or something. Good that you're both of like mind about not being sentimental, but are you sure he isn't secretly sentimental but knows how happy that upgrade would make you? :Up_to_something:

Besides, just get more rings. That is part of the fun.

Hope to see the fruits of your wedding band project in the future. Take your time to enjoy the process, once you get it, then the shopping and obsessing stops.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered using an online vendor? I know that you mentioned that you were a bit afraid of going through WF or BN because you haven't seen the quality of their rings, but there are MANY MANY MANY PSer wearing their bling very happily and they are beautiful! :love: You also get alot more bling for your dollar than you will at Tiffs or any BM.

I think that I would upgrade for a larger center stone as well. I'm also having my original engagement ring set into a pendant (if I ever get going on it :rolleyes: ).

Gypsy: I hadn't seen your BGD! WOW!! :love: :appl: :lickout: It's amazing!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Visited Tiffany's today to test a multiple band combination I wanted to try. I wanted to try the shared setting but didn't want to have to worry about it damaging my e-ring so I paired it with the (new?) Lucida diamond band. I had the jeweller check it and confirm that the girdles sit higher than the Lucida band (which isn't as low as I hoped) so that they (hopefully) couldn't damage the Lucida. I definitely like that combo the best. I also tried just out of curiosity a 3mm channel set (which is the thickest I can get away with) next to my ring.

I can't help but gravitate towards Tiffany's when looking at bands... I'm a little OCD about everything coming from the same place... I think that the multiple band set looked better on my hand and from a distance (in the mirror), I think that the channel set looks better in the picture I took but in person and in the mirror a bit more boring.

photo (1).JPG

photo (3).jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of the picture with the 3 bands! That is a great solution and the rings look complimentary to your e-ring. I do not like big blingy wedding bands with small solitaires (nor do I like them with my 1.6 ct. stone), so I think you are wise in your choices!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both options look good, but I prefer the channel.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Well I finally got my wedding band so I thought I would update this thread. I thought I would be waiting another 2 weeks to do this, but Tiffany's got my e-ring back from polishing early so it was only away one week instead of 3!

I ended up going with the most boring option (in my opinion)... the channel set 2mm. I'm not normally a fan of channel set, but it just seemed to go best with my current ring. I'm still not sure about it but after 2 years I figured if I haven't decided by now I never will! We will probably still upgrade my e-ring after the wedding, but probably just to a bigger solitaire because I'd rather put the money towards a bigger/better diamond than the setting.

DSCN2455small.jpg

DSCN2457.JPG

DSCN2479.JPG

DSCN2493.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey it may not be as big as you want, but it is a simply gorgeous and lush looking set :))

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Dreamer_D! :D

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Be proud of your wedding set: it's very elegant!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results