shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do? Knife edge solitaire vs. three stone with pear shaped sides...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

For the past year almost I have been wanting to reset my ering stone. For a few months I was dead set on a beautiful tiffany knife edge solitaire replica. For the last couple of months I''ve been really wanting to get a three stone setting with pear shaped sidestones (Tiffany/Vatche style). My center stone is a 2.33 ct round brilliant and my fingers are a bit on the larger side at size at 6 3/4. Luckily I have long fingers so they don''t look stubby.
1.gif
I''ll be going custom once my decision is firm.

If you were me, what would you do and why? Both are gorgeous. Just when I think I have my mind made up I wind up switching it! I''m already married and I don''t plan on wearing the wedding band on the same hand as my Ering, so flush fitting is not an issue.

Thanks for the opinions!

engagement_fancy_pearsides1_sm.jpg
engagement_fancy_pearsides2_sm.jpg

engagement_tiffany_ring1_sm.jpg
engagement_tiffany_ring2_sm.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I am very VERY partial to 3-stone settings, and I think your gorgeous big stone would look incredible with a pair of pears (heehee funny
41.gif
) Plus if you''re thinking that your hands are on the big side (which in my opinion 6 3/4 ain''t real big!!) it would give more spread across your finger. I just really really adore that setting and think it would look incredible sporting itself on your finger without a wedding band... something just says to me that solitaires need to be buddied with a wedder... don''t ask me for a reason ''cos I haven''t got one...
10.gif
JMHO of course.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a difficult choice. You have narrowed it down to two of my favorite settings. I suppose if you are not going to wear a wedding ring - especially one with diamonds - I would choose the three stone ring. I have a three stone ring with rounds and it definitely creates more bling than a solitaire setting.

The other factor that comes to mind is price. Naturally, the solitaire is less expensive because you are not buying side stones.

All things considered though I guess I would vote for the three stone ring. While I love the Tiffany solitaire type setting and even though you have a very large diamond, it would still look like an ering waiting on a wedding band. The three stone ring will give you a more ''finished'' look.

Please come back and let us know what you decide - and why. I will be very interested to see what you choose. Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the 3-stone because I like the extra sparkle across the finger. I think kaleigh wears a 5 and here center is close to your's and she has .60 pears sides and looks amazing. I also think a 3-stone works better if you are wearing w/out a wedding band. If you were to wear only a solitaire i bet you get asked a lot "when's the wedding?"
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha Yes My sides are .68 tcw. My center stone is 2.36. So your stone will look exactly like my ring. I know Vatche has a nice setting that is very similar to Tiff''s. Good luck, you know I love the look. Hehe
3.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HI,

I am really into bling, and for me personally, the more stones the better! My vote is for the 3 stone. SInce you are already married, the 3 stones can represent, past, present and future....I like that idea......

let us know what you choose!
Tina

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Tough choice but I would definitely do the setting with the pear sides. I love both looks but that setting is one of my all time favorites.

35.gif

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Pear sides, definitely!

(And plenty of pics once it's done!)

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m a solitaire girl through and through, and I''d definitely get the solitaire either from Mark Morrell or SuperbCert. I''d wear it with a w-band or solo.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I vote side pears, for the reasons many stated, especially ditto to everything MissGotRocks said.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhhhh, tough. First I was going to say the RB tiffany solitare setting but now I''m not too sure. You''re not going to have a w-ring? Then I''d go with the 3 stone ring..more bling.

If you are having a w-ring, than I''d go with the knife edge solitare with a eternity band w-ring..bling bling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, a thread very dear to my heart! I have also narrowed things down to these two choices, the Tiffany round with pear sides and the solitaire with diamond band (except I still love Tacori style, too!).

Like you, this is an anniversary upgrade, so I do not necessarily desire to replace my wedding band since it wouldn''t really be my true wedding band. So in that line of thinking, the RB with pear sides would better stand alone. For me, the cost would balance out because with the solitaire I''d be buying a diamond band, but in the case of the RB and pears, I''d be paying for the pear setting. I am currently leaning toward the RB with pears since it is an anniversary ring that I''d wear instead of my original wedding rings. Howver, I won''t be having a 2 ct. center stone like you (probably 1.5)! So the pears will really help cover my finger (size 5 1/4). I am presently leaning toward having WhiteFlash make it since I hear they have done several like it, if I can ever choose a diamond!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! If you decide on the 3 stone ring, make sure that the side stones match your center stone in color, and cut quality. Otherwise, the side stones might detract from the center stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to say, I really want to get up the nerve to go in Tiffany''s and ask to try on these rings just to be sure about size of stones, etc. Have you done that?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm hmm well if you want more finger coverage and bling, do the classic 3 stone with pears....i have a solitaire right now but figure i will eventually head that way at some point!!!

both are really lovely!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
No bad choices here, but I prefer the three stone ring as a stand alone and I think it makes for a perfect upgrade ring for someone who is already married.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Agree with Sundial. I love a solitare but there is something about a round with pears. With a 2+ center, it will should span your finger (bling!!!). I would love that!!

roxy7

Shiny_Rock
Definitely 3 stone!!! Gorgeous.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the fabulous responses. This is going to be a very tough choice! My heart is leaning towards the pear shaped side stones right now and your responses are making me more confident in my choice. I hope to make a decision by tomorrow. I've already contacted a few of the highly recommended custom ring makers that often show up on this wonderful site. I think I will be going with Whiteflash if everything works out. I have been researching side stone sizes and two pears between .60ctw and .70ctw should be perfect for my center stone. I asked Lesley what she thinks. I really don't want the pears to overshadow my round brilliant.

I actually have a seven stone diamond wedding band (7pointers), but wear it apart from my Ering right now since it doesn't fit flush. I usually wear my Ering on my left since I do a lot of mousing at work and it would get wacked too much on my right hand. I do switch the rings from left to right hand often though when not at work. For some reason I've never really liked wearing more than one ring on each finger…maybe because of my larger fingers? Anyway, this is exciting and it's great to share my journey with you all. :) It's funny because I remember when my husband and I first shopped for rings that the two pear side stones was a style that I gravitated to. At that time my hubby thought it was too flashy so I went with a plain solitaire instead (but not a nice one like the good tiffany replicas). Maybe it was always meant to be. :)

Kaleigh--Your ring one of the rings that gave me inspiration!!!

diamondseeker2006 -- No, I haven't had a chance to go down to Tiffany's to try on a ring with a similar center stone size. The last time I was in there they weren't too nice to me…maybe because I wasn't dressed up enough? I don't know. I can't wait to see your ring! You have to keep us updated on your progress.

Keep the opinions coming everyone.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually went to Tiffany''s about 3 weeks ago and just didn''t have the nerve to ask to try any on! I felt like they would just "know" I wasn''t a true Tiffany buyer! And I am not going to dress up and pretend for anyone, so I guess I''ll see if I have the nerve to ask or not. I am thinking that if a 2 ct. needs .60-.70 ctw for sidestones, then maybe 1.5 would take about .50 ctw. I imagine WhiteFlash could probably tell me anyway. But please post yours as soon as you have pictures!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three stone with pears...definitely!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 8:28:08 AM
Author: kaleigh
Haha Yes My sides are .68 tcw. My center stone is 2.36. So your stone will look exactly like my ring. I know Vatche has a nice setting that is very similar to Tiff''s. Good luck, you know I love the look. Hehe
3.gif

WOW. Then I vote for the three stone w/pears. Ya don''t get much nicer than Kaleigh''s ring! (Okay, ringS!!)
31.gif
30.gif

Also, I don''t really love, love knife edge solitaires NOT paired with a wedding band. Too plain for me. Classic, yes ... but ... doesn''t make my heart sing.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
cpster I am in the 3 stone camp, since my ring is the same style as Kaleigh''s, although of course not half as ginormous!!! Kamuelamom also has a similar set that I like to drool over, although I havent'' seen her around in a long time...

jldunn

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeeker,

I went with my girlfriend to Tiffany''s to try these on, it was a lot of fun. She has a size 4 finger and the biggest that looked decent on her finger was a 1.3 center with 0.3 sides (each). The next size up they had was a 1.6 center with 0.6 on each side, to give an idea of the proportions they had.

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
I think that the 3 stone with pear sides would FEEL the best on your finger as a stand alone ring. It would be more likely to stay centered on your finger, where the soltaire will roll side to side and you may have to fuss with it alot. Also the 3 stone seems "safer" to me. With the stones nestled together rather than the one stone perched up high all by itsself for regular daily wear by its self. The 3 stone w/ pears is so graceful. That would be my choice. Especially as a stand alone ring. Just my opinion. hey are both classic beauties.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 8:08:38 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I actually went to Tiffany's about 3 weeks ago and just didn't have the nerve to ask to try any on!

Leave it to the Web...

Here's One Tiffany ring with pears. I think they meant to say the side-stones are .25cts each, not both.. but they sure look small relative to the center stone. IMO, the 'poster kid' pictures on Tiffany.com are somewhat optimistic relative to reality. That's usually the case with adds though. And I did see Tiffany three-stone rings with larger pear sides relative to the centre. Maybe they don't keep a consistent proportion? I wouldn't be surprised.

20486_thumb.jpg

There is something about this ring that you may want to look out for - if you (or anyone else) considers it.

If you look on the GIA lab report for the center stone, it reads G/VS2... 'MEDIUM YELLOW' fluorescence. N'ah... Maybe it is not such a big deal, but who needs it
14.gif
Anyway, haven't found one of those in a wile - online of off.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Ana--I''ve been looking at the one on Signed Pieces. I think it''s actually an older design since there is not even a slight knife edge to it. I think that''s the first time I''ve seem a "medium yellow" for flour. The gallery is also slightly different in that the prongs for the pears don''t go all the way down like the ones for the center stone do.

Jeremy--I remember reading on another thread that you are getting WF to make a ring with pear side stones for you too. Is it done yet?
31.gif
Please post pictures if so!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I am debating between those two exact settings for a family stone I have. For a stand alone ring I much prefer the one with the pears, and I think .6cwt or .7cwt would be perfect with a 2ct center.

I have a 3 stone ring with all rounds that I just got in December and I love it! I wear it alone too as I find one ring to be much more comfortable for me. I have gotten a few times "when''s the wedding" with the 3 stone ring, but I really don''t mind.

I thought I was all set on getting the tiffany replica solitaire for the family stone but after seeing the one with the pears again, I keep going back to that one!
18.gif

jldunn

Rough_Rock
cpster -

I haven't gotten the ring yet but they sent me pictures of the wax model. I put them up in that post, it always shows up first for me if I do a search on tiffany pear. I was really impressed with how close the model looks to the picture on Tiffany's, other than being green and made of wax.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
WF made me the three stone setting, only I had a pear-shaped sapphire in the center instead of a round diamond. I really like that setting, and also thought it looked a lot like the Tiffany setting. I will say that mine does spin a lot, but that''s probably because it''s too big.

Also, I''ve definitely gone to Tiffany and tried on their rings, even though I clearly had my own on. I''ve gotten very nice salespeople and not so nice, but usually they seem a bit friendlier in the e-ring section, as opposed to the more accessible silver section.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results