shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do? Eternity or Loose diamond

kmystery

Rough_Rock
Hi

I just wanted to get some idea of what other people would do.

My husband and I are coming up to our anniversary and we have decided to treat ourselves (he love guitars, I love diamonds, its a good match!).

I am stuck between getting a half-eternity band with French cut diamonds, or whether I could get a loose diamond which I would set at a later date. I love pear diamonds and have researched and for the price of the half-eternity, I could buy an almost 1 carat D (I am very colour sensitive) pear diamond, which is much bigger than I ever expected.

The problem is which one to go for?? The loose diamond might not be set for a couple of years, but the half-eternity would be ready to wear and custom made.

Such a silly (and very lucky) thing to be worrying myself over really to have but I would love to know other people's opinions.

In terms of jewellery I already have, I have a three stone engagement ring (0.64ct in total), a five stone ring (1.22ct in total), two solitaire rings (both 0.5ct, one a radiant and one an oval) and a 3/4 pave diamond wedding band.

Thanks

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhm, it doesnt sound like you need any more rings. How are you in the pendant department? I'm going to suggest a 1 carat pear
pendant which depending where you live can probably get mounted for $300plus or minus. So that would be my vote unless you
already have a pendant that you love and wear constantly.

kmystery

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that is a really good idea! I suppose I was juts caught up with the ring idea, I didn't think of anything else. Or some earrings??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do a one carat pear in a really affordable pendant setting NOW, so you can wear it. And then if you want, set it into a ring for later. Or keep it in a pendant.

Color sensitive or not, you probably don't need a D, unless you just want one. An F will be plenty white if the stone is a nice performer and is GIA graded.

As for earrings. Depends on your budget. You didn't say what that was.

I definitely think you are okay on rings though. I would go for something other than a ring.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, with your "inventory" lol, I would look at WF tennis bracelets. I love mine and wear it 24/7. I heard someone use the word "staple" here and had to chuckle. But I do see my wrist rainbow it as a basic part of MY "inventory"!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1463277833|4031815 said:
I would do a one carat pear in a really affordable pendant setting NOW, so you can wear it. And then if you want, set it into a ring for later. Or keep it in a pendant.

Color sensitive or not, you probably don't need a D, unless you just want one. An F will be plenty white if the stone is a nice performer and is GIA graded.

I definitely think you are okay on rings though. I would go for something other than a ring.

^^ Agreed!

A pear pendant would be really lovely. If you're into bracelets, I'm also reminded of these cute bangles!
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/70ct-vintage-pear-diamond-single-stone-bangle#.VziLXSMrK2x

But given the size, maybe it would be wiser to get a slightly larger F, wear it in a pendant now and then keep that flexibility for a ring at a later date. As Gypsy said, a lot depends on your budget (and style too!). :)

kmystery

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone. your comments have been very helpful. I think that a pear pendant is indeed the way to go. I also take on-board the comment about colour. I would think that in a pendant, I could maybe even consider a G as I won't be looking at it on my hand all the time.

thank you

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One suggestion - I recently had a pendant made and had the chain made to be adjustable - 16", 17" and 18". It's a great feature as I can wear it with different neck lines. You may want to consider doing this. Good luck - a pear pendant will be beautiful :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1463277833|4031815 said:

That is a really good idea. PUtting it into a pendant lets you wear it now, but still lets you get the pear. And you don't have a single stone over 1 carat so this is a nice addition to your collection.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1463330614|4031980 said:
One suggestion - I recently had a pendant made and had the chain made to be adjustable - 16", 17" and 18". It's a great feature as I can wear it with different neck lines. You may want to consider doing this. Good luck - a pear pendant will be beautiful :wavey:

I ditto this. I thought I wanted a 16 inch necklace but once I got it and started wearing it full time decided it was just too short for me. I'm now having to use an extender to get the extra couple of inches I need. If I had to do it again I would order 17 extended to 18. I'm 5'8" so I really do need the extra length.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.