shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
My daughter is graduating college next month, and I want to get her something special to commemorate her accomplishments. She doesn’t have a lot of jewelry although she does love it, but not in an obsessive way like her mom (thank goodness). I was thinking either a small piece of VCA or a simple tennis bracelet. Which would you rather have? Or if you have other suggestions, feel free.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I'd recommend the tennis bracelet over the VCA piece (unless she specifically likes VCA). My other recommendation would be diamond studs (1ctw or smaller). When trying to give away jewelry to family in your daughters age range, they wanted my smaller diamond studs. The young ladies were also very interested in anything Tiffany. Congratulations to your daughter on her achievement!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Both of your ideas sound great. As for another suggestion.. what about a small diamond heart bezel set necklace? It just popped into my head as being a "young" piece of jewelry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want something nice but casual that I could wear all the time (or almost all the time). I guess this would mean something
classic like a diamond pendant, diamond stud earrings, or a bracelet (maybe a 5 station bracelet with ideal stones) especially if
she doesnt have a big jewelry wardrobe at this point.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as jewelry goes - both sound fabulous! But is jewelry the way forward for her? My godkids are into travel, so I'm taking my goddaughter to Australia for her graduation gift and sent my godson to Italy on an exchange program when he graduated. But that's not everyone's cup of tea either. Have you asked her what she would like? A lot of teenagers / young adults, when presented with that option, have no idea. But some have *very* firm ideas! So I guess I'm saying - cast a wide net!

Of your 2 suggestions, tho, I'm not sure. VCA is often copied and if one isn't a collector, a person might struggle to find the value in it. On the other hand (literally!) might a tennis bracelet be a bit too formal for someone young? Alternately, she might be completely jazzed to be the first of her group of friends to own a serious piece of diamond jewelry! Only she knows.

Given that I'm swinging completely blind here, I'd suggest diamond studs. Something upgradable, so you could upgrade for her wedding, for example, or her first child, or whatever takes your fancy. Something she could take all the way through life. But - again - that's me.

Good luck! Either way, she's a very lucky girl. I remember when you first joined PS, about the same time as me (tho under a different name), and it's STAGGERING to me to know the little girl I saw photos of 13 years ago is getting close to graduating college!! :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes unless she has a penchant for VCA, I would think that a diamond pendant or diamond studs would be forever pieces that she could wear daily.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
When I was in my 20's I remember longing for that Tiffany's magical blue box!

I recently tried on the Elsa Peretti / Tiffany Bean necklace in the 14 mm size (medium) and thought it was super cute and very wearable with casual outfits. It comes in yellow gold, rose gold and silver options. They have it in many different sizes and some with diamond melee. I think its popular because Kate McKinnon from SNL wears one (I think she has the small size.)

b040e72d24365bd867d68bcc9c599dc2.jpg b040e72d24365bd867d68bcc9c599dc2.jpg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, not sure why the photo is posting multiple times.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both of your ideas, gorgeous and generous! An alternative idea popped into my head - what about a diamond bangle like we have been seeing more of lately? A single diamond, bezeled, on a comfortable cuff bracelet would be so easy for her to wear and enjoy. It works for casual settings, work settings, and dressier settings. A versatile, wearable piece that is both youthful and timeless, swoon worthy yet not overly attention-grabbing (which may mean more wearable for someone her age).

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked my 22 year old DD and she loved the idea of VCA necklace. She like the idea of a tennis bracelet but thinks it’s a bit much for daily wear.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What about a DBTY necklace-they are so versatile. My MIL made DBTY necklaces for myself and my two SILs. She has also gifted smaller DBTYs to the 5 grand daughters. Your daughter can easily dress it up or down.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If she doesn't have nice earrings, I think diamond studs are a good choice. Or, a huggy hoop that she can dress up with charms. She can wear the plain hoop or charms. At that age, versatility is nice. I think the bracelet would be a little formal at that age but it depends on her lifestyle.

Here is an example. Lots of different styles you can do for charms but a very wearable huggy with a charm set to start seems pretty popular. You can find them on places like the Last Line and Mejuri, articles in magazines too.

Last edited:

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Also throwing a vote to simple diamond studs if has pierced ears but isn't the type who likes to change her earrings to suit her outfit. This was my graduation present from my extended family and I never take them off (screw backs are a must for me!)

I'm also a big fan of the Tiffany Smile necklaces as simple pieces that can be worn unobtrusively with everyday outfits. VCA pendant would also be beautiful, or a simple DBTY necklace or bracelet like others have suggested.

My personal taste is not to wear bracelets because I find they get in the way too much and I fuss with them. Necklace or earrings are eaiser to wear and not think too much about if she's a low maintenance person.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
If a heart pendant is something you are considering, Tiffany has a few lovely ones. I've attached 2 photos but there are many variation of each. I'm suggesting Tiffany because I know young adults love their items.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 2.47.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 2.48.39 PM.png

Last edited:

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I'd recommend the tennis bracelet over the VCA piece (unless she specifically likes VCA). My other recommendation would be diamond studs (1ctw or smaller). When trying to give away jewelry to family in your daughters age range, they wanted my smaller diamond studs. The young ladies were also very interested in anything Tiffany. Congratulations to your daughter on her achievement!

I think VCA is the new trendy thing for young girls but it is so expensive and you do have to be careful with them unless they are solid gold or with diamonds. I don’t have any other soft stones because of that reason. I don’t think that she would do well with mother of pearl etc. so I’m rethinking VCA.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Both of your ideas sound great. As for another suggestion.. what about a small diamond heart bezel set necklace? It just popped into my head as being a "young" piece of jewelry.

Hi
I love that idea! I think I’m going to have an Elizabeth Taylor heart necklace made.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I would want something nice but casual that I could wear all the time (or almost all the time). I guess this would mean something
classic like a diamond pendant, diamond stud earrings, or a bracelet (maybe a 5 station bracelet with ideal stones) especially if
she doesnt have a big jewelry wardrobe at this point.

She has a chopard happy heart ring with one diamond that she got for her 16th birthday and a diamond station necklace that she got for her 18th. I’m going with a heart solitaire necklace.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
As far as jewelry goes - both sound fabulous! But is jewelry the way forward for her? My godkids are into travel, so I'm taking my goddaughter to Australia for her graduation gift and sent my godson to Italy on an exchange program when he graduated. But that's not everyone's cup of tea either. Have you asked her what she would like? A lot of teenagers / young adults, when presented with that option, have no idea. But some have *very* firm ideas! So I guess I'm saying - cast a wide net!

Of your 2 suggestions, tho, I'm not sure. VCA is often copied and if one isn't a collector, a person might struggle to find the value in it. On the other hand (literally!) might a tennis bracelet be a bit too formal for someone young? Alternately, she might be completely jazzed to be the first of her group of friends to own a serious piece of diamond jewelry! Only she knows.

Given that I'm swinging completely blind here, I'd suggest diamond studs. Something upgradable, so you could upgrade for her wedding, for example, or her first child, or whatever takes your fancy. Something she could take all the way through life. But - again - that's me.

Good luck! Either way, she's a very lucky girl. I remember when you first joined PS, about the same time as me (tho under a different name), and it's STAGGERING to me to know the little girl I saw photos of 13 years ago is getting close to graduating college!! :))

Isn’t it crazy MrsB?? I can’t believe she’s 22 and graduating college. She was in grade school when I first joined.

How lovely that you are traveling with your god daughter. What a wonderful experience for both of you. She loves to travel, but with covid she doesn’t want to travel internationally just yet. I’ve decided on a heart solitaire necklace like Elizabeth Taylor wore. I think she’ll love it.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I think a bracelet is tricky bc they are harder to wear casually IMHO. I would go with diamond studs or a pendant.

I agree that studs or a pendant would work better. I’m having a pendant made.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
When I was in my 20's I remember longing for that Tiffany's magical blue box!

I recently tried on the Elsa Peretti / Tiffany Bean necklace in the 14 mm size (medium) and thought it was super cute and very wearable with casual outfits. It comes in yellow gold, rose gold and silver options. They have it in many different sizes and some with diamond melee. I think its popular because Kate McKinnon from SNL wears one (I think she has the small size.)

b040e72d24365bd867d68bcc9c599dc2.jpg b040e72d24365bd867d68bcc9c599dc2.jpg

That blue box is so fun to open! I love the bean necklace. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I like both of your ideas, gorgeous and generous! An alternative idea popped into my head - what about a diamond bangle like we have been seeing more of lately? A single diamond, bezeled, on a comfortable cuff bracelet would be so easy for her to wear and enjoy. It works for casual settings, work settings, and dressier settings. A versatile, wearable piece that is both youthful and timeless, swoon worthy yet not overly attention-grabbing (which may mean more wearable for someone her age).

That’s a great idea! I’ll keep it in mind for her 25th birthday. Thank you

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I asked my 22 year old DD and she loved the idea of VCA necklace. She like the idea of a tennis bracelet but thinks it’s a bit much for daily wear.

I have seen a lot of twenty somethings wearing MOP pendants. “A bit much??” Lol I have to remember that not everyone is crazy about sparkle.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
What about a DBTY necklace-they are so versatile. My MIL made DBTY necklaces for myself and my two SILs. She has also gifted smaller DBTYs to the 5 grand daughters. Your daughter can easily dress it up or down.

That was her gift on her 18th birthday and she wears it all the time. Every time she comes home I offer to clean it for her so it sparkles again.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Since it will be a pretty expensive gift, I'd talk to her about it. Good luck!

Probably that would be the most practical approach, but I want to surprise her. She likes surprises.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results