shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose for diamond stud design?

steponapoptop

Rough_Rock
I picked out a pair of 5.5 ctw diamond studs F color from Alex Park as a gift and my head is spinning from researching the following choices. For those with experience with larger diamond studs how did you decide among the following:
White or yellow gold?
Basket or martini?
Screw back or push back?
The old basket versus martini has me going back and forth and I don't want to ask her and ruin the surprise by asking her. With larger diamonds what works best?
I would assume push backs are easier to use but screw backs seem more secure. Can you purchase more secure push backs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I picked out a pair of 5.5 ctw diamond studs F color from Alex Park as a gift and my head is spinning from researching the following choices. For those with experience with larger diamond studs how did you decide among the following:
White or yellow gold?
Basket or martini?
Screw back or push back?
The old basket versus martini has me going back and forth and I don't want to ask her and ruin the surprise by asking her. With larger diamonds what works best?
I would assume push backs are easier to use but screw backs seem more secure. Can you purchase more secure push backs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

I would say:
White or yellow gold?--Depends on the color of the studs and what color gold she normally wears. I would choose white gold for F color, unless you know she really likes yellow gold and never wears white.

Basket or martini? I would choose the lowest-possible setting, since these are large stones and you don't want them to protrude from the ear. I think with the size, and to minimize droop, you would want a super low-set basket. I assume Alex can set them and would be able to customize a very low profile basket.

Screw back or push back? For this size you will almost certainly want a back with a large, supportive disk to minimize drooping. From my research, and speaking with Whiteflash, we could not find a large enough screwback (and we were talking about studs much smaller than yours). Screw backs are also annoying to put on, in my experience, and the threaded post can irritate ears. I therefore purchased the Chrysmela Extra locking backs (https://chrysme.la/products/chrysmela-extra) and LOVE them. They are super secure and have that extra supportive disk in the back. I learned of these on Pricescope. It seems that lots of people have them and like them.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I cannot even get screw backs into my ears, so I would nix those unless you know that she has used them. I would also pick white unless, again, you know that she prefers yellow. For me personally I like 6 prongs with bigger stones; they usually don't typically make 6 prong with martini but you could always ask. I just bought studs from Alex that are 4 ctw and chose the six prong wg baskets. I like them and the backs they sent worked fine and they didn't droop - but I have a pair of jumbo backs already so used those.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love silicon disk backs from Amazon so they don’t droop. I prefer push back to screw back. I only wear yg so no brained for me. I have martini set for 1 ct each ear and basket on 2 cttw each ear.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I would say:
White or yellow gold?--Depends on the color of the studs and what color gold she normally wears. I would choose white gold for F color, unless you know she really likes yellow gold and never wears white.

Basket or martini? I would choose the lowest-possible setting, since these are large stones and you don't want them to protrude from the ear. I think with the size, and to minimize droop, you would want a super low-set basket. I assume Alex can set them and would be able to customize a very low profile basket.

Screw back or push back? For this size you will almost certainly want a back with a large, supportive disk to minimize drooping. From my research, and speaking with Whiteflash, we could not find a large enough screwback (and we were talking about studs much smaller than yours). Screw backs are also annoying to put on, in my experience, and the threaded post can irritate ears. I therefore purchased the Chrysmela Extra locking backs (https://chrysme.la/products/chrysmela-extra) and LOVE them. They are super secure and have that extra supportive disk in the back. I learned of these on Pricescope. It seems that lots of people have them and like them.

I have the Chrysmela locking backs with the disc and I love mine. I originally ordered screw backs because I wanted security and then I hated them. It took so long to screw on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results