shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you buy INSTEAD of this $112,000 padparadschas?

And GIA called this grey thing a paraiba

"...this grey thing..."
lol.gif
Bro must have a niece at the GIA.

Now I need to go check the LMHC guidelines for paraiba. It can't simply state copper and manganese bearing elbaite, can it?

You quite live up to your username and I love it.

Thank you!! It's funny that you just commented and replied to me because I was looking at a different thread and suddenly remembered your multicoloured FCD halo heart shaped ring and was JUST staring at that post again! It's one of my favourite things on PS, no question.

To add another suggestion more in keeping with the coloured stones forum about how I could spend this hypothetical $112k, I was at the jeweler today and I saw this massive (zambian) emerald and diamond suite that was priced in the $100k range (I think around $110-115k)... and it consisted of a necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring. Total emerald caratage was in the range of ~50cts, total diamond caratage was ~75cts (admittedly very tiny stones).

So between THAT and this travesty of a "pad"... I would drape myself in that ocean of bling and wear it to the grocery store to bring the CPW down.

Thank you!! It's funny that you just commented and replied to me because I was looking at a different thread and suddenly remembered your multicoloured FCD halo heart shaped ring and was JUST staring at that post again! It's one of my favourite things on PS, no question.

To add another suggestion more in keeping with the coloured stones forum about how I could spend this hypothetical $112k, I was at the jeweler today and I saw this massive (zambian) emerald and diamond suite that was priced in the $100k range (I think around $110-115k)... and it consisted of a necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring. Total emerald caratage was in the range of ~50cts, total diamond caratage was ~75cts (admittedly very tiny stones).

So between THAT and this travesty of a "pad"... I would drape myself in that ocean of bling and wear it to the grocery store to bring the CPW down.

manybounce.gif

P.S. That is a massive compliment coming from a bling connoisseur such as yourself!! Thank you!

And GIA called this grey thing a paraiba

LMHC Information Sheet # 6

Paraiba Tourmaline

Members of the Laboratory Manual Harmonisation Committee (LMHC) have standardised the nomenclature that they use to describe a paraiba tourmaline.

- Definition

A paraiba tourmaline is a blue (electric blue, neon blue, violet blue), bluish green to greenish blue, green or yellowish green tourmaline, of medium-light to high saturation and tone (relative to this variety of tourmaline), mainly due to the presence of copper (Cu) and manganese (Mn) of whatever geographical origin. The name of the tourmaline variety ‘paraiba’ is derived from the Brazilian locality Paraíba where this gemstone was first mined.

- Tourmalines with only traces of copper and low colour saturation and / or outside of the defined colour range (above) are not called Paraiba tourmaline.

- Iron-rich copper bearing tourmaline showing in the o-ray polarised spectrum (obtained by UV-Vis-NIR spectrometer) an absorption band at 700 nm higher than the 900 nm absorption band (related to Cu) is not called Paraiba tourmaline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naturally there's always going to be a subjective aspect, but the GIA is definitely pushing the boundaries of this definition here. The "grey thing" is neither "electric" nor "neon" and has low saturation. But more than that, it's clearly outside what those in the industry would consider a paraiba to be. So I just don't get it...
helpme!.jpg

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
it's not... but GIA says it is, so we must go with that

I would not, at least until I verified that GIA did i fact issue this report for this lump. I used to have many friends that worked there, but they have retired. I am comfortable saying that in the past they would not have issued such a report. I have a hard time believing they would do so now, but if I was still a store owner I would be on the horn and asking what the heck!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not a stone even for 1k USD let alone 100x+ that much IMHO. :roll2:

If I have 112k USD to spare, I would buy a nice Paraiba cabochon, or a nice emerald cut Emerald, or both! :lol-2:

DK =)2

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
That's the sad part... this could actually be, dare I say, a quirky specimen for the right person (nobody here of course :lol:) at the right value. It's unfortunate the price is so farcical.

Let's pretend this is indeed a legit pad (it's not... but GIA says it is, so we must go with that). The weight is impressive. The pros begin and end there. Considering the color is marginal, the cut is wonky, and the clarity is atrocious, what would you consider to be a fair market price per carat? I'd be interested to hear from other trade members too.

I genuinely think, at most, you could get $1,000 per carat, putting you you at $7,010...I wouldn't even pay that much.

I genuinely think, at most, you could get $1,000 per carat, putting you you at $7,010...I wouldn't even pay that much.

Let's be generous and say maybe $2,500-3,000/ct. simply because it's an unheated 7ct. pink sapphire. That's still like 17% of his asking price.
zanyLOLguys.gif

Like @gliterata, I'd buy a top-quality star ruby, true red, with a good balance of bright star with translucent/transparent body.

Failing that, a harlequin pattern black opal.

Or a cat's-eye chrysoberyl like the amazing one above.

Or a top-quality imperial jadeite cab.

One can always fantasize...

All solid choices... and I'd expect no less from you!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread to show why one shouldn't rely too much on lab designations, but our own eyes and comparisons to other stones.

Amazing, but: it's a smidge off-axis and it's got a "FA" (i.e., it's carrying a lot of weight below the equator) -- a concept I learned in the very first gem conversation of my life, which happened to be with a crass seller in the diamond district of a major east coast city who (correctly) dismissed my semi-informed color-and-clarity preoccupation.

Unrelated: He would not take his eyes off me or the out-of-case merch for one second. Then, a few loud "youths" came bouncing in (no getting "buzzed in" back in those days) and he jumped out of his chair and commanded me, "Watch this stuff!!" Amazing how fast I went from Criminal to Security.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the rings from this collection

Any will do! I’m not fussy!

I suspect $112,000 would be a down payment on any one of these rings. Lol!

Gorgeous!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect $112,000 would be a down payment on any one of these rings. Lol!

Gorgeous!

Haha I’ve been admiring these for YEARS and the funny thing is I don’t even have the foggiest idea how much they cost! If anyone knows I’d love some goss!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results