shape
carat
color
clarity

What $$$ would considered as a good annual income in your area?

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I found this. Hopefully this settles the answer. The income to live comfortable by covering necessities. It mentions rent, so it doesn't cover saving or investing in a house- you'd need more. AND it doesn't mention having a family. So this is the basic income to live above water, as a single individual.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/personal-finance/money-live-comfortably-biggest-cities-2017/

SF - 110k

DF - they say you only need 56k for Sac Area. So you must be filthy rich!

That $86,466 quoted for NYC probably encompasses all 5 boroughs. Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island suburbs are much much cheaper than Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Here is the Manhattan Rental Market report from May 2017 . It says the average rent for a studio in a non-doorman building is $2526. Most landlords require annual salaries that are 40x monthly rent; that would mean an average annual salary of $101,040 to qualify for a studio.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40x rent? lol I wouldn't have qualified if that was true! Yikes!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That $86,466 quoted for NYC probably encompasses all 5 boroughs. Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island suburbs are much much cheaper than Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Here is the Manhattan Rental Market report from May 2017 . It says the average rent for a studio in a non-doorman building is $2526. Most landlords require annual salaries that are 40x monthly rent; that would mean an average annual salary of $101,040 to qualify for a studio.

It would have to be $86K after taxes, right? So about $111K salary? I think it's doable for a single person in NYC, certainly not for a family.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where does the 40x multiplier come from? (and why!)

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Where does the 40x multiplier come from? (and why!)
It's just the standard income requirement for renting in Manhattan. It's consistent with the guidance that people not spend over 30% of their income on housing. That said, my first landlord didn't even ask about income, but did require an agent.

It would have to be $86K after taxes, right?...
I don't know; the article doesn't specify.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
We just signed as guarantors for our oldest and two friends to rent in Manhattan (all are about to start first jobs post-college) and the requirement for guarantors was 80x monthly rent. Not sure if it was just this developer/company or if that's the new normal.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
In our neighbourhood, the average sale price is just over £1.7m (about $2.1m), and trust me, what you'll get for 1.7 isn't anything to get too excited about. Additionally there's a tax you pay at the time of purchase (stamp duty) that's calculated on a somewhat complicated formula, that on the £1.7 would amount to £117,000 (almost $149,000), which, in addition to the downpayment, needs to be cash.

I honestly don't know how anyone starting out without inherited money could do it. Even most bankers don't make the kind of money that would buy you a nice family house here.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
We just signed as guarantors for our oldest and two friends to rent in Manhattan (all are about to start first jobs post-college) and the requirement for guarantors was 80x monthly rent. Not sure if it was just this developer/company or if that's the new normal.
80x for guarantors is likely normal. Think about it: you have your own expenses. The landlords want you to show you would be able to handle your expenses and your son's rent.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article does not mention family nor home owning. Just rent. So, I'm assuming surviving for the 'now' as a single person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results